Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Hey Navy thread. I'm reading through the Army thread and literally everyone there has hosed up (insert joints/limbs here). I preaume its from years of carrying too much poo poo too far and then doing poo poo PT l, but it raised the possibility in my mind that maybe joining the military is not the best gameplan for my long term health. My father was in the navy for 21, and he now has two fake knees and a fake hip, though my understanding is that the hosed up limbs are from playing navy football.

I've been thinking of commissioning after my time in the CCC is finished, provided that I don't get offered a sweet gig as a C1. If that doesn't happen, I need to find some way to pay for my masters and because I'm too old to piggyback on dads GI bill like I did during college, my own GI bill sounds like an excellent idea.

So, I guess my question is: How mqny of you are carrying around lifelong joint problems/mental problems from years of doing navy poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I joined at 37 in perfect health hoping I would break on the government dime so I’m no help with this.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A White Guy posted:

Hey Navy thread. I'm reading through the Army thread and literally everyone there has hosed up (insert joints/limbs here). I preaume its from years of carrying too much poo poo too far and then doing poo poo PT l, but it raised the possibility in my mind that maybe joining the military is not the best gameplan for my long term health. My father was in the navy for 21, and he now has two fake knees and a fake hip, though my understanding is that the hosed up limbs are from playing navy football.

I've been thinking of commissioning after my time in the CCC is finished, provided that I don't get offered a sweet gig as a C1. If that doesn't happen, I need to find some way to pay for my masters and because I'm too old to piggyback on dads GI bill like I did during college, my own GI bill sounds like an excellent idea.

So, I guess my question is: How mqny of you are carrying around lifelong joint problems/mental problems from years of doing navy poo poo?

My lovely genetics and high school sports hosed my leg joints before the Navy, but I never had back spasms until I had been in a few years.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A White Guy posted:

Find yourself an officers program that aligns with what you want to do, and RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH TALK TO loving PEOPLE. Do not take the recruiters word on anything, find some vets that will tell you what is actually up, and whether the job you want to commission for is actually worth giving away years of your life.

Army though is turbodumb and will ride you until you break, and then ride your broken corpse. Navy you can usually find a way out of those sorts of things if you're clever.

Related: my right knee has a meniscus tear from humping heavy gear up and down 16 flights of stairs when I was invincible and 21. That kind of poo poo doesn't happen to officers, they go find some enlisted puke to carry it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 22, 2018

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

A White Guy posted:

I was an enlisted Fire Contolman on an aircraft carrier for five years. Radars at the top, parts at the bottom, my office was at the waist catapult water breaks. My knees and my hearing are hosed (they work, they just act like they're 60; I am 34). Worst part about the Navy are the shipyards and the idiots that you are responsible for.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

A White Guy posted:

You'll still get overuse injuries in the navy without playing football. Husband is hosed up from climbing up and down ladderwells constantly. I wasn't in the real navy so I don't have any physical damage. I was on sea duty for 7 years but never left dry land, but that was the perk of the job I chose.

Edit: I also remember a tall friend being hosed up from having to bend over constantly to get around. Last I saw on facebook, the VA was still trying to wiggle out of paying for anything regarding his back problems.

Sarah fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 22, 2018

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I was an enlisted Fire Contolman on an aircraft carrier for five years. Radars at the top, parts at the bottom, my office was at the waist catapult water breaks. My knees and my hearing are hosed (they work, they just act like they're 60; I am 34). Worst part about the Navy are the shipyards and the idiots that you are responsible for.

Oh yeah, I forgot about hearing. Your hearing will be worse than an old man's.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about hearing. Your hearing will be worse than an old man's.

What

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

A White Guy posted:

I got hip surgery right before I got out. It was because I had extra bone growth on my femoral head and acetabulum which got aggravated by the Navy and caused a labral tear. I was an AT and I fixed avionics in an air conditioned shop. No job is safe

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I have hosed up knees, hips, and back from my time in the navy. I started doing enlisted grunt work and commissioned eventually. My shins have dozens of dents and dings from ladders on the ship.

The gi bill is dope, though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

individual experiences may vary ~~

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

individual experiences may vary ~~

I'm sorry I can't hear you, speak up sonny

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

After listening to both my grandfathers (one did carrier during vietnam, the other submarine during Korea and vietnam, both lifers), my dad (lifer, destroyers mostly) and my uncle (NFO), I'm pretty deadset against enlisting. In my mind, its OCS or get a real job. My college GPA was 2.93(smoked way too much weed), but I'm hoping the 200 hours of volunteer, a few letters of recommendation, and a few years doing hard poo poo for the CCC will see me through to OCS after I'm done. My gameplan is never not keep promoting in the Cs so that my package is competitive when I want to join. Thoughts/advice?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
My hearing is kind of bad and I tore everything in my ankle during PT. I had anger issues for a while after separating but I think Im ok.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I absolutely don’t mean this in a PTSD sense and maybe it’s just being old but boy do I hate huge events or music festivals or large crowds etc. Gives me a tiny bit of anxiety

Ok mostly I’m just old and grumpy and hate lines and traffic

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
A recruiter will tell you your GPA isn't good enough and to enlist. Find another recruiter. Enlisted life isn't necessarily bad depending what you do, there's just a lot of sub 100 IQs, and you'll be responsible for a plan to prevent said sub 100 IQs from getting DUIs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I absolutely don’t mean this in a PTSD sense and maybe it’s just being old but boy do I hate huge events or music festivals or large crowds etc. Gives me a tiny bit of anxiety

Ok mostly I’m just old and grumpy and hate lines and traffic

Social anxiety is a common issue with vets of all sorts.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
You want a good officer job in the navy? Be a supply officer.

Everyone will suck your dick because they need poo poo and you have to say ok to it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ded posted:

You want a good officer job in the navy? Be a supply officer.

Everyone will suck your dick because they need poo poo and you have to say ok to it.

Also supply chain and logistics is still a well paying sit on your rear end in an office field in the civilian world.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

lol

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Also supply chain and logistics is still a well paying sit on your rear end in an office field in the civilian world.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

*Wheew* Sorry, could you point me towards the well paying logistics jobs where I get to sit on my rear end?

I’d do my own research but it’s after six, I have three lines of call waiting with people who want to scream at me for not having their recipes widget where and when they want it and I need to get that sorted out before I go back out to handle the offload of an overweight piece someone sent me.

Pay’s good though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FrozenVent posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

*Wheew* Sorry, could you point me towards the well paying logistics jobs where I get to sit on my rear end?

I’d do my own research but it’s after six, I have three lines of call waiting with people who want to scream at me for not having their recipes widget where and when they want it and I need to get that sorted out before I go back out to handle the offload of an overweight piece someone sent me.

Pay’s good though.

I guess YMMV. The people I know in supply chain/logistics sit around playing with spreadsheets 9-5.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

KetTarma posted:

Why are my stories the ones you picked :(

Am I broken

No. Your job sure is though.

And for what it's worth, your stories kept me from going nuke. I had a lucrative, if still pretty miserable, 6 year term as a linguist instead.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Speaking of what the military will do to your body, a high school friend of mine just died of cancer. I'm sure that multiple Iraq and Afghanistan tours as a combat engineer had nothing at all to do with terminal cancer in his 30s.
:thunk:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm just over my third back surgery, a pile of head issues and other crap. I just got approved for permanent limited duty to ride out my 20. Id probably be 200 percent VA if there was such a thing. What it all means is I retire next year with about 6-7k per month for the rest of my life. All I had to do was absolutely destroy myself.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yikes

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've lost about 6-10dB of hearing sensitivity in both ears thanks to the navy, but they wouldn't give me even a 0% for it.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Knees shot, back shot, shoulders are turbo hosed, migraines and sinus issues out the rear end, hearing loss, high blood pressure, and probably the worst/grossest, Random abscesses that come and go painfully on my legs from Afghanistan.

Oh and exposure to asbestos, AFFF, a potentially bad Anthrax shot series, and whatever the gently caress I breathed in Afghanistan (57% fecal matter in the air there, Mmm refreshing). Oh and a couple shocks and 2 second degree sunburns now and counting. I'm halfway through 20.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

M_Gargantua posted:

I've lost about 6-10dB of hearing sensitivity in both ears thanks to the navy, but they wouldn't give me even a 0% for it.

:same:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Remember kids, every 3db is DOUBLE

6-10 is quite a bit.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I also got a 0 percent for hearing loss. My wife was pretty stunned by that. I ended up with a 70 overall rating. Debating whether I want to go through the trouble of appealing the 0 percent I got for anxiety crap.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Wait, AFFF is bad for you?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Stultus Maximus posted:

Speaking of what the military will do to your body, a high school friend of mine just died of cancer. I'm sure that multiple Iraq and Afghanistan tours as a combat engineer had nothing at all to do with terminal cancer in his 30s.
:thunk:

This is the type of outside the box thinking we need at the VA disability ratings department. You’re hired!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

KetTarma posted:

Wait, AFFF is bad for you?

Yup. And in places with a lot of firefighting training, AFFF use has literally poisoned the water supply. If we didn’t have a government actively trying to destroy the EPA, you’d hear more.

Google AFFF or PFC health effects and have fun reading about another way the navy gave you a nasty cancer that won’t pop up right away.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

vulturesrow posted:

I also got a 0 percent for hearing loss. My wife was pretty stunned by that. I ended up with a 70 overall rating. Debating whether I want to go through the trouble of appealing the 0 percent I got for anxiety crap.

I got a 0 as well for hearing loss, I guess the tests can't decipher my inability to decode speech if there's any background noise no matter how mild. So, I hear speech just fine, it's just a garbled mess and I'm forever saying, "what?". I did get 10 for tinnitus though. :toot:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

King of Bees posted:

I got a 0 as well for hearing loss, I guess the tests can't decipher my inability to decode speech if there's any background noise no matter how mild. So, I hear speech just fine, it's just a garbled mess and I'm forever saying, "what?". I did get 10 for tinnitus though. :toot:

I should go for the tinnitus rating to make up for not getting poo poo for exactly what you're describing. I have to explain to everyone why I keep turning my head when they're talking and it's annoying.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

King of Bees posted:

This is exactly my issue, ambient noise at any level severely impacts my ability to hear normal conversation. I understand that 20 years of constant exposure to jet noise probably can't be expected to impact my hearing though. 🤣

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I think we just have Navy brain damage and everyone sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher, a coping mechanism from too many all hands calls.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I'm convinced the sleep deprivation I suffered on my first ship impacted my ability to remember names and faces. Once I've seen someone several times and heard their names a bit, I'm usually okay, but I introduced myself to a DCC out in Yokosuka 3 different times before I realized that I'd met him and had conversations with him. I still find myself doing it out here at school where I generally get over 7 hours a sleep a night.

And same with me regarding the lack of ability to understand people if there's any kind of background noise. I find myself leaning in or tilting my head towards people more often then not.

The sleep deprivation was the CO deciding that fine, if we wanted to try circadian rhythm, we could. We just had to rotate our watches every single week. Because that's how circadian works. I'd have a week where I'd have 2 1/2 hours of sleep, watch, and then 3 1/2 hours of sleep. The week before that would typically be sleep for 5 hours and then watch, because how dare you try to get to sleep at a reasonable human time if you have to be up at 0200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yup. And in places with a lot of firefighting training, AFFF use has literally poisoned the water supply. If we didn’t have a government actively trying to destroy the EPA, you’d hear more.

Google AFFF or PFC health effects and have fun reading about another way the navy gave you a nasty cancer that won’t pop up right away.

Man, I thought I pulled off the ultimate scam by getting AFFF operator for my GQ station.

Edit:

The Valley Stared posted:

I'm convinced the sleep deprivation I suffered on my first ship impacted my ability to remember names and faces. Once I've seen someone several times and heard their names a bit, I'm usually okay, but I introduced myself to a DCC out in Yokosuka 3 different times before I realized that I'd met him and had conversations with him. I still find myself doing it out here at school where I generally get over 7 hours a sleep a night.

And same with me regarding the lack of ability to understand people if there's any kind of background noise. I find myself leaning in or tilting my head towards people more often then not.

The sleep deprivation was the CO deciding that fine, if we wanted to try circadian rhythm, we could. We just had to rotate our watches every single week. Because that's how circadian works. I'd have a week where I'd have 2 1/2 hours of sleep, watch, and then 3 1/2 hours of sleep. The week before that would typically be sleep for 5 hours and then watch, because how dare you try to get to sleep at a reasonable human time if you have to be up at 0200.

Are you me, posting from a different account? I'm good with faces but I'm terrible with names, like even the other members of my team I frequently forget. And with the background noise, I basically can't make a phone call unless I'm locked in a bathroom or something.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 24, 2018