Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah your 3rd party options are irfanview and xnview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Silver Alicorn posted:

does anyone know a good and free photo viewer for Windows 10? I need something to give out to users for now because the inbuilt photo viewer is missing on our image.

are you saying just the new windows 10 viewer is missing, or is the old 7 viewer missing too?

because you should be able to do registry edits to reenable the 7 style viewer on 10 installs that werent upgrades. the photoviewer.dll should still be in the system, and i believe windows 10 will use it by default when you try to open TIFF images

granted the activation of new .reg files by ur users is a bad habit to get them in, and it can be a pain to deploy the registry changes otherwise, but the viewer should be right there to be enabled.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

irfanview is good but also only free for personal use

irfanview is one of those trusty windows apps like vlc that just work flawlessly constantly and does everything you need

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

irfanview is one of those trusty windows apps like vlc that just work flawlessly constantly and does everything you need

vlc is garbage though and irfanview is far from perfect too

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

akadajet posted:

how on earth did you manage that?

our desktop engineering team is pretty talented.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

fishmech posted:

are you saying just the new windows 10 viewer is missing, or is the old 7 viewer missing too?

because you should be able to do registry edits to reenable the 7 style viewer on 10 installs that werent upgrades. the photoviewer.dll should still be in the system, and i believe windows 10 will use it by default when you try to open TIFF images

granted the activation of new .reg files by ur users is a bad habit to get them in, and it can be a pain to deploy the registry changes otherwise, but the viewer should be right there to be enabled.

I am not doing registry hacks in an enterprise environment.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

guess I’ll just associate image files with IE

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Silver Alicorn posted:

desktop engineer

ooh. i need to go update my linkedin. brb.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

our desktop engineering team is pretty talented.

you should maybe get them to hire someone who knows what they're doing

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
lmao this is grey forum 15 years ago

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

critical windows utilities to remove:
solitaire
ms paint
the photo viewer

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I remember YOSIAPOS :allears:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

guess I’ll just associate image files with IE

this is your desktop engineering group's fault so tell them to make a useable image

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

just flatten and re-install windows 10 yourself. what you have is clearly broken.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

SO DEMANDING posted:

this is your desktop engineering group's fault so tell them to make a useable image

I’m opening a ticket

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Silver Alicorn posted:

I am not doing registry hacks in an enterprise environment.

can you please tell my coworker this

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

an enterprise environment.

here's your first mistake

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

akadajet posted:

just flatten and install windows 7 yourself. what you have is clearly broken.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

akadajet posted:

here's your first mistake

make it so number one

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

vlc is garbage though and irfanview is far from perfect too

my life experience :

vlc always works
irfanview always works

idk what kind of edge case poo poo you guys get up to but they are good

irfanview is very dated. I'll give it that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

my life experience :

vlc always works
irfanview always works

idk what kind of edge case poo poo you guys get up to but they are good

irfanview is very dated. I'll give it that

vlc works well enough, just not good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but what are you even talking about

what would I want it to do better??

what does whatever better?

please dont tell me its that poo poo about black levels that pagancow droned on about

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

please dont tell me its that poo poo about black levels that pagancow droned on about

mpc-hc/be, especially with madVR, or mpdn, and it’s exactly what pagancow drones about :D

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

the volume bar goes past 100%, uhh rebuild font cache?

its more that it has lots of features to play broken files, leading people to continue to produce broken files with bad aspect ratios, weird muxing, bad audio sync and every lovely codec and every lovely subtitle format in every lovely container

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Perplx posted:

the volume bar goes past 100%

This one goes to 110%?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Perplx posted:

the volume bar goes past 100%, uhh rebuild font cache?

its more that it has lots of features to play broken files, leading people to continue to produce broken files with bad aspect ratios, weird muxing, bad audio sync and every lovely codec and every lovely subtitle format in every lovely container

wgaf

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when I go to take photo with 5s with built in camera app it just doesnt work. like camera itself is trying to initialise but doesn't

front facing camera works

movie or slo mo etc works on camera

apps like snapchat do it fine.

literally just when its

a)built in app
b) rear camera
c) photo mode

wtf

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

restore you’re firmware

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
is github enterprise still the best option for a campuswide academic repo

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

graph posted:

is github enterprise still the best option for a campuswide academic repo

https://about.gitlab.com/2018/06/05/gitlab-ultimate-and-gold-free-for-education-and-open-source/

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

gently caress jah bless right fuckin there, thank you

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
didn’t click the link but based on graph’s reaction that must be the yams gif.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

didn’t click the link but based on graph’s reaction that must be the yams gif.

it wasnt :(

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

piss.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

mo computers mo problems

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
a while ago i bought a transcend 8tb external drive for some data backup. i've now built a new pc, and the original idea was to shuck the 3.5-inch drive and install it in the new box.

but transcend obviously use some voodoo encoding with the sata-to-usb bridge in the external casing, because the 3.5-inch drive now shows up in windows with three partitions. when I put it back in the external casing the single partition and data show up correctly, thank gently caress, but this non-standard partioning is now loving with my plans

anybody ever run into this? short of buying another drive to strip and copy data to, what can i do to have the drive show up as normal when installed in the PC?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they sell those drives inside an external enclosure cheaper than they sell the same drive standalone so they do poo poo to prevent you from just removing the drive. that may be what that is. Its also possible its some weird hack to allow old OSes that couldn't deal with an 8tb drive to somehow see it all but that doesn't make much sense.

can you blow away the partitions and format it as a single partition or is it showing up as 3 separate physical disks?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Shaggar posted:

they sell those drives inside an external enclosure cheaper than they sell the same drive standalone so they do poo poo to prevent you from just removing the drive. that may be what that is. Its also possible its some weird hack to allow old OSes that couldn't deal with an 8tb drive to somehow see it all but that doesn't make much sense.

can you blow away the partitions and format it as a single partition or is it showing up as 3 separate physical disks?

windows disk management shows one device and three partitions.
one of the partitions has a drive letter but isn't in a windows format, the other two partitions aren't volumes

if it weren't for the data that i don't wanna lose, i'd have created a single volume and got on with life

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
so the original disk you bought was advertised as 8tb.
but you broke it out of its enclosure and tried to use it that way, and you find out it's actually a ???tb disk broken up into three partitions.
and you can't see your data, because the original disk's enclosure was actually doing some sort of raid or compression on the disk.
so what you want to do is somehow reproduce the effects of the oem enclosure, except outside of the enclosure, and also preserve your data. here's how you can do that:

put the disk in its enclosure
make a copy of the data on the disk
remove the disk from its enclosure
clear the partition table from the disk
now your disk is probably broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

anthonypants posted:

so the original disk you bought was advertised as 8tb.
but you broke it out of its enclosure and tried to use it that way, and you find out it's actually a ???tb disk broken up into three partitions.
and you can't see your data, because the original disk's enclosure was actually doing some sort of raid or compression on the disk.
so what you want to do is somehow reproduce the effects of the oem enclosure, except outside of the enclosure, and also preserve your data. here's how you can do that:

put the disk in its enclosure
make a copy of the data on the disk
remove the disk from its enclosure
clear the partition table from the disk
now your disk is probably broken

No not quite

Inside the enclosure windows sees it as an 8tb usb storage device with a 8tb exfat volume
Out of the enclosure and plugged into a sata port, windows sees an 8tb seagate hard drive with three partitions (a raw volume of 1tb and two unformatted partitions; the total of all three adds up to 8tb)

I’ve poked around a bit and can establish the following:
1. The sata-to-usb bridge in the enclosure has an ic and a bios, and obviously this is doing some intermediary data jiggery, hence the weird partitions
2. The data is not encrypted or anything - running a data recovery tool still accesses everything. It’s just the partition table that’s whack

but yeah since there’s no real solution i’ll have to figure out how where to store 8tb of data so that i can format the disk fml

It’s loving stupid of transcend/external drive manufacturers to do this because there are a number of legit reasons to need to take a drive out of its housing. Holding people’s data hostage is pro-tier idiocy

Hello Spaceman fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 22, 2018