Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

captain innocuous posted:

Give it a rest, guys.

I think that's what they're all trying to do, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

AlphaDog posted:

Somewhere between "D&D with an item that lets you change one letter in your spell", and Nomic, yeah.

So Wisher, Theurgist Fatalist.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Splicer posted:

Wasn't this touted by the 5e team as a selling point? And also one of the advantages of natural language? Or was that just hangers-on, I forget.

The complaints about 4e were that abilities and spells lacked flowery language and was very basic "you do X damage of Y type with Z effect." With 5e they went a more descriptive route and that also more vague.

5e is the best selling D&D ever so in general one can assume they were correct to go back to that type of description. I started on 4e and preferred how abilities were described because I had no problems adding my own fluff to them.

That said I didn't like how loving long 4e combats took nor did I like how few abilities you had to use so I prefer the speed of 5e and being able to do more than have 3 abilities per day 3 per combat then just using some lovely at will abilities for the rest of the 9 rounds of combat.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

doctor 7 posted:

The complaints about 4e were that abilities and spells lacked flowery language and was very basic "you do X damage of Y type with Z effect." With 5e they went a more descriptive route and that also more vague.

5e is the best selling D&D ever so in general one can assume they were correct to go back to that type of description. I started on 4e and preferred how abilities were described because I had no problems adding my own fluff to them.

That said I didn't like how loving long 4e combats took nor did I like how few abilities you had to use so I prefer the speed of 5e and being able to do more than have 3 abilities per day 3 per combat then just using some lovely at will abilities for the rest of the 9 rounds of combat.

Best selling D&D ever most likely has 0% to do with Mearls' pile of rotting poo poo and crappy load-bearing grog and more to do with social stuff like D&D becoming really popular at the same time it came out.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

doctor 7 posted:

5e is the best selling D&D ever so in general one can assume they were correct to go back to that type of description.
It was the edition that was out when video streaming really took off, I'm not sure anything actually in the game bar it having the D&D brand can be said to have had a causal effect on its popularity.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

doctor 7 posted:

source you are quotes

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

source you are quotes

gently caress I can't remember which 2hr video interview with Mike Mearls I was listening to while doing other poo poo man.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
However you read the other parts of the paragraph, the first sentence says that "a long rest is a period... during which a character which a character sleeps or performs light activity: reading, talking, eating or standing watch for no more than 2 hours." Any other activity is obviously an interruption to the long rest, but more importantly not part of the long rest, because you're not sleeping or performing light activity. If you rest for 4 hours and then decide to hike for an hour, you still have to rest for 4 hours after that to satisfy the requirements for a long rest.

(Yes, this means that the "period" might be non-contiguous, but in this case interruptions are explicitly mentioned.)

Now this does mean that you could technically take a long rest piecemeal over an adventure if you, for example, took short rests no more than an hour apart (although each character would have to actually sleep during 6 of those short rests, and at that point you'd be at least doubling the time you were taking), but it does at least rule out just having a normal adventuring day with 1-minute naps here and there and getting everything back 8 hours in.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
It’s impossible for me to take a long rest since my goonbod makes breathing while prone a strenuous activity.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Resting is a calculated gamble. It specifically procludes adventuring activity, presumably so you whatever cost you are paying (time) can't be sidestepped by working toward the goal (the adventure) while you wait.

The question of whether or not getting jumped in the night costs you your rest will naturally vary from table to table; the players are making the informed choice to rest, while it is the DM who both enforces the consequences of resting, and the one who determined whether or not you get jumped in the first place. Only he knows what the intent was.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Okay this is an idea that's I'm been stewing on since I heard about it and still not sure yes or no.

I was listening to the angry gm, and he keeps ranting about the original red box set is perfect for introducing people whom never run a game in their life in getting people who are fairly isolated into the gaming hobby.

Would a 5e version of this model work? Why or why not?

If so, how would be different?

If not, what would work better?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

doctor 7 posted:

This is very confusing to me, my last 5e experience was "you can do maybe two interesting things per encounter and do double attack/eldritch blast/vicious mockery at all other times" and in my 4e game interesting effects are going off six times a round.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I get it because adjudicating attacks on objects is super-weird - how the hell do I decide if shatter breaks something or not? What HP does a bridge have?
FWIW its another case where the issue was solved in 2e with another in a vast pile of charts. (The Dm screen had attack-type vs -target-material saves. Vellum had a tiny chance to survive "magical fire", steel had a good chance, etc) There was also a chart for siege damage saves as attack vs material type. (And I think there was a structural "hp" table by material type too.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Amazon leaked the new campaign setting book

Ravnica

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Toebone posted:

Amazon leaked the new campaign setting book

Ravnica

I have never heard of this

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Magic the Gathering setting. Big city, lots of guilds.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It's Sigil but you want to crossmarket your more successful IP.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I guess that would be why.

But why would a deck building game need a story and setting? You can't have adventures in it though. I mean, I guess you can now (or when the book comes out) but this setting clearly existed before the book.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
It's Sigil but without the Metaphysical Stuff.

It's still cool in its own way but eh. It's probably their best fleshed out of the MTG settings.

doctor 7 posted:

But why would a deck building game need a story and setting? You can't have adventures in it though. I mean, I guess you can now (or when the book comes out) but this setting clearly existed before the book.

The theming and setting of each block, along with the art illustrating those places, is a HUGE part of the appeal of MtG for most people.

People didn't get excited about Ixalan because it was the return of the Crew keyword, they got excited because it was Aztec Dinoriders and Vampire Conquistadors and poo poo.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
That's a bit unfair to Sigil, which is a kickin' rad torus with the city covering the inner surface, and is a functional crossroads for the whole multiverse. Ravnica is just a fantasy ecumenopolis with loose ties to Slavic folklore, that the few people in the Magic setting who can planeswalk just happen to congregate around because it's one of the few planes with working plumbing

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 22, 2018

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

doctor 7 posted:

I'd say you'd basically have to have a dick GM to not use the rest rule pretty clearly intended to just be like "yeah you can get a long rest broken up by something as long as an hour, one surprise fight isn't going to ruin it."

But then our GM has slowly started to become more and more of a "gotcha!" and "shutdown" GM. It started out getting resurrected was basically impossible, I don't think any of our players like it but whatever I guess he's the GM. Then it became Slaads take 1d6 turns to burst out your chest, along with sticking to his misread that slowly turning into a Slaad requires a Wish spell to undo (it doesn't, only once you are transformed).

Lately every single magic user has their focus on a chain so Disarming Attack is useless. Oh and Mordencanin's private sanctum as a permanent fixture is used in multiple places to force us to face-check multiple poo poo. Making our Wizard useless.

We're in SKT and there's a part where a giant ship comes out of nowhere and fires ballista bolts at you once per turn. He made it 4. Then also made the Jarl legendary with 3 moves per round. We wiped on that encounter and he just said "all I did was make the Jarl legendary!" Ok man.

We're almost done but honestly I dunno if I want to play it anymore. I like my character but the campaign has just gotten shittier.

He's talking about still going past the campaign and I guess he just can't read that everyone is getting less and less happy. To the point where only 2 of our six people actively said they wanted to continue going (with me being 1) with two others literally flipping a coin to continue or stop. We continued.

gently caress me, the more I read this the less I want to keep going. It sucks because we've been playing this for a loving year. And he's not all bad, he let our human fighter use the Dwarven thrower and lets us throw runes on already magical poo poo (which RAW you can't).

But more and more it feels like he'll do poo poo like have a wolf run at you but calculate out if it can reach you on its turn and if not the wolf will only regular move then Dodge.

Edit: oh yeah and just before the mortaring ballistas and Legendary Jarl we found some orcs will invade a city but we got burned with a mark by some powerful orc sorcerer that causes like 20 damage if we think about talking with anyone about anything related to the orcs. We went to multiple healers and they all said they can't do anything about it. So we can do literally nothing about it.

The bolded parts are things that if I saw like 2 of, I would leave the game. I'd want to comment on how they're individually bad, but I'd hope that'd be obvious.

The DM is either unaware or doesn't care that people aren't having fun, is antagonistic to the characters as a DM, is willing to bend or break rules to make the player's lives harder, and on top of that he will lie about it. There is no system that can handle that. I'm not going to say that you should leave, but I will say that if you don't, then you're a more patient man than I am.

You should post in the Notable Gaming Stories thread, if you haven't already.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

doctor 7 posted:

Aesthetics and stories through art are how you differentiate and flesh out your more similar cards in card games.

Whats is the real difference, mechanically, between identically statted creatures? None. But if one is a bear with sickles for arms and the other is just some dude with a bow?

You field the bear.

And who would want to run the completely ludicrous and impossible to get out creatures if they arent kickin rad

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 22, 2018

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Brutal DM. Would not hang with that dude for sure. The DM's job should be to make heroes out of the PCs not murder them for no reason.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Pretend this post is really smug and angry in a TG way:
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/09/07/will-participating-in-1-round-of-combat-break-a-long-rest/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There are supposed to be two setting books I heard.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/02/1-hour-interruption/

Mearls is the worst

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Brief summary of the settings and guilds, as of the original Guildpact era:

Ravnica is a giant vaguely european megacity. After an era of horrible strife like a thousand years ago, the leaders forged a magical contract called the Guildpact to create compromise and order out of the chaos. The pact fully established 10 9 Guilds. They are as follows:

Azorius Senate: The civil government and lawmakers of society. Stodgy and legalistic, founded by a Sphinx.

Boros Legion: Police force and, when needed, organized military force. Righteous justice. Founded by a fiery angel.

Golgari Swarm: Agriculture and waste disposal. Plants, fungus, goth druids, and necromancers. Big focus on both decay and fecundity. Live in the Undercity/sewers. Founded by a Lich.

Gruul Clans: Loosely affiliated tribes of mostly monsterfolk living in what passes as the "wilds" of Ravnica. Ostensibly wardens of the wilderness, they're mostly chaotic and destructive. Founded by a Cyclops.

Izzet League: Engineering and research for Ravnica. A collection of alchemist and mad scientists making things explode as often as they innovate. Founded by a Dragon.

Orzhov Syndicate: The city's financial organization and vaguely roman catholic style religious hierarchy. Lots of ghosts. Founded by the ruling council of church patriarchs who have since died but remain on the modern ruling council as ghosts.

Cult of Rakdos: Entertainment industry. A bunch of violent sociopaths who organize public entertainment ranging from juggling shows to murder sports and frequently both at the same time with audience participation. Founded by a Demon.

Selesnya Conclave: Agriculture, public works, public beautification, and charity. Centaurs and prep druids. Founded by a nature Elemental.

Simic Combine: Medical and biology. Better living through genetic recombination. Different flavor of mad scientists creating hybrids that are an affront to the gods. Founded by a Vedalken (a type of hairless, blue humanoid across the MTG Multiverse who tend to be smart, logical, and a tendency toward amorality.)

House Dimir: Secret 10th house of spies and betrayers actually set up by the Guildpact to keep the other 9 houses in balance. Spies, saboteurs, black market and intelligence brokers. Stewards of the true history of Ravnica. Founded by a Vampire who recently sundered the Guildpact by revealing House Dimir and attempting to usurp control of the city. It did not go well.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

My condolences to MaRo, who has apparently had a stroke.

On the other hand, it will be the first wizards book I’ve considered buying in years.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Everyone is mad about fighters, so WotC shoves (one of many) a lovely MTG setting down their throats to finally choke them to death on wizard supremacy. :lol:

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I had to write up a back story for a shadow monk today and I kind of liked it so I thought I'd post it here, though it's pretty simple:

My village was a small one, sitting under a great bluff. From the bluff's underside hung crumbling ruins, like rotting teeth hidden from the light of day. My childhood was peaceful and my home life happy. We were not prosperous, but we wanted for little, and our lives were unclouded by the hard truths of the world.

It was in my eighth year that I met the shadowy man. I remember playing with my friends, tossing a ball around, when I noticed a tall, dark man striding calmly through town. Odd as he looked, what truly struck me as strange was the lack of attention. Rarely did our village see visitors, especially one as queer as this, and yet no one was meeting him on the street, gretting him to our home, or asking about his business. It was if he wasn't there at all.

My furtive glances soon drew his attention and his surpise. Walking to me with a smile, he said hello and asked my name. We spoke for a few minutes and he seemed kind enough. He told me that most people could not see him, that if I could then I must have something special inside me. He told me that it was faint, but it could grow with the proper training. Only eight, I really didn't know what to say. Our conversation was interrupted by my mother who seemed alarmed when I told her of the shadowy man, and insisted I return home immediately. I said my goodbyes and acquiesced.

From time to time I would see the shadowy man around town and he would always greet me with a wave and a smile. It was exciting to see him striding down the village thoroughfare, a secret between him and I in plain daylight. Life was fun and easy, until the raids began.

Large, dirty men in bright yellow robes began to appear around our town, harrying travelers and merchants alike. As their strength grew, so too did their boldness, and soon they began raiding the town proper. More and more frequently they would ride into town, taking what they wanted and killing who they pleased. The town watch would ring the bell and we would flee to our houses. I still sometimes hear the sound of that bell in my nightmares.

This continued until our village could take no more. We were faced migration or confrontation, and both options seemed likely to end in extinction. My father, a sort of leader in our town, decided that he would not be chased from our home and proclaimed his intent to seek help to combat the bandits. He did not share his plan with me, but he was gone for two days and my mother spent most of his time away crying. When he returned, he did so sullenly and proclaimed that we would be saved.

When next the bandits arrived, they were met with a unbelievable sight. Dozens of figures descended through the skies from the ruins above, floating through the air as easily as one sinks through water. The shadowy man was among them, and they shared his garb. Upon seeing me he smiled and gave me a wink. Then the killing began. The shadowy men cut through the yellow garbed bandits like so much paper, dispatching them with mighty blows and swift kicks. Though it felt like hours, it was done in minutes, and the village stood silent.

One by one the men disappeared into the approaching evening, leaving only the bodies of their foes and the shadowy man himself. He approached my father, and once again with a smile, proclaimed the job done and demanded payment. Slowly and solemnly my father turned to me and then beckoned. I was the price. Though the village had been saved, it was no longer my home, and that night I began my training in the Way of the Shadow.

I trained and trained, mastering the basics and honing my techniques. Though I looked down on my village daily, memories of my home and family slowly faded, replaced with mantras and forms. It would be years before I finished my training and learned the awful truth. I learned of the monks complicity in the arrival of the bandits, a catalyst to my enrollment, and of their callous betrayal of their partners in crime. I learned that despite everything I had learned I was no match for my master, a truth hard earned when he was confronted. I learned that I now had no place to call home and no one to trust but myself. I learned everything, and I know nothing.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I love the idea of WTF but I've never found anyone willing to try to learn it, let alone play it.

Imagine that, but less... intentionally weird and/or arguably an elaborate joke is the only way I can put it, and yeah.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

After a long uninterrupted rest, I'm still curious what the designers would make of it.

I agree that by Crawfords use of ‘an’ in the existing tweet it appears he reads period as contiguous.

Maybe these questions to Sage Advice could clarify:

quote:

Our group took a long rest, then were ambushed and it took 45 minutes before they could rest again. Then they were attacked again and it took another 45 minutes before they could rest again. Do they have to start the rest again from the beginning?

If he says yes then 'period' is intended as non contiguous.

If he says no, then put Alphadogs exploit to him and see if he accepts that or sees a problem in it.

quote:

The party rests for 2 hours. Then adventures for 59 minutes. Then rests for 2 hours. Then adventures for 59 minutes. Then rests for 2 hours. Then adventures for 59 minutes. Then a final 2 hours of rest. They have now completed an 8 hour rest. Is this legit?

That's my take on that exploit, there may be a better one. You get the idea, they can't say "Yes and Yes". They might say "No and No" if they insist characters need 6 hours sleep. "No and Yes" goes Alphadogs way, "Yes and No" goes my way.

If you stress you are running a time sensitive campaign like ToA (haven’t played it but I gather it’s time sensitive) it should be clear why it matters. It also reminds me of the Two Towers scenario where Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli pursue the Orcs with no rest or very minimal rest. It may be a legitimate scenario and the exploit might be a legitimate approach, with it's own risks.

Worst case they’d pull the standard ‘up to the DM’ card but they may also point to the rules implying a character needs 6 hours of sleep (Elves trance aside for now):

quote:

“A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps or performs light activity: reading, talking, eating, or standing watch for no more than 2 hours.”
…the light activity part of that is to be no more than 2 hours, implying the balance of 6 hours must be sleep. That would also exclude the possibility of the adventure all night exploit.

I agree with Jeffrey that all this is a weird consequence of the fixed length of rests and particularly the mechanics of resetting a rest. I made a similar call for our Beast Master when she had to bring back her dead companion, I allowed her to break the 8 hours of ritual into chunks rather than force the party to stop while she did it. I don't think it was a good call on my part, looking back, I could also have proposed she miss a long rest at a time she was at full hp and spell slots. Maybe that's also why I'm seeing a 'period' as not contiguous unless specified.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

mango sentinel posted:

Brief summary of the settings and guilds, as of the original Guildpact era:

House Dimir: Secret 10th house of spies and betrayers actually set up by the Guildpact to keep the other 9 houses in balance. Spies, saboteurs, black market and intelligence brokers. Stewards of the true history of Ravnica. Founded by a Vampire who recently sundered the Guildpact by revealing House Dimir and attempting to usurp control of the city. It did not go well.

It seems to me that the existence of the Dimir has to be an open secret. Anyone who understands magic on even a rudimentary level would look at the list of guilds, and say "Oh, somethings missing."

Or maybe the official line was "Oh, those guys? Yeah, we kicked them out, they don't exist any more." I don't recall.

Anyway, hype to do some investigative necrotopsies.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Cubetheory, I like your story and find it funny you describe it as simple. I play high lethality games with friends who inevitably have their PCs turn on each other and thus never have backstories more than a few sentences long

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Same, I run a Shadow Monk and wish my backstory was as tight. There's a bit of Witcher in there, huh?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I expect my players to come up with a rich, evocative backstory that fits in a tweet. Anything worth saying is worth saying concisely.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Gharbad the Weak posted:

The bolded parts are things that if I saw like 2 of, I would leave the game. I'd want to comment on how they're individually bad, but I'd hope that'd be obvious.

The DM is either unaware or doesn't care that people aren't having fun, is antagonistic to the characters as a DM, is willing to bend or break rules to make the player's lives harder, and on top of that he will lie about it. There is no system that can handle that. I'm not going to say that you should leave, but I will say that if you don't, then you're a more patient man than I am.

You should post in the Notable Gaming Stories thread, if you haven't already.

Yeah it's like a slow creep. I mean I have had basically a year of fun about 90% of the time. So it wasn't back to back stuff and I feel wrong just writing all the bad stuff.

That said looking back the lovely adversarial stuff has become more frequent and more lovely. Also why after venting that poo poo out I just go "man, this is not great."

We alternate DMs and campaigns between his SKT and ToA with another guy. ToA feels more fair to us than SKT, in that you know the rules and that should not be the case in my opinion.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I expect my players to come up with a rich, evocative backstory that fits in a tweet. Anything worth saying is worth saying concisely.

I ask my players a few basic questions about their background, then a few follow up questions, then I generate four RP scenarios that they play through to help establish character and specific story beats that I can work in to the campaign. I figure if you're going to spend a hundred+ hours pretending to be someone, you can spend a few hours figuring out who that person is.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

doctor 7 posted:

I mean I have had basically a year of fun about 90% of the time.

Well, 90% is pretty good. I tend to jump off pretty early, I've had some games man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Got killed in our game tonight. Playing a halfling dragon sorcerer with 16 AC, got hit once by a shadow for 8 and then crit for 10. RIP.

The DM fudged it but it feels dumb. What is the point of the instant death rule anyway? Past fairly low levels it basically means nothing, so you're just making already brutal low levels even more ridiculous.