Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Endeavor changes awful quick as far as trying to reconnect with Shouto and he'll almost certainly end up being forgiven but eh, oh well. More of a journey has been undertaken here than with say, Assassination Classroom and other series.

Well he has always been shockingly supportive of his Son ever since the Stain Arc. It just was not until the Makeup exam that he really wanted to try and reconnect with him and the rest of his family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I just think it's weird that nobody got this mad about Shoto forgiving his mother, the one who scalded off half his face.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I hope when Deku's dad shows up he has no idea that Deku got a quirk, got into UA, and has been fighting villains for almost a year.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Turns out that "away on business overseas" is the Japanese version of "went out to buy cigarettes".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I hope when Deku's dad shows up he has no idea that Deku got a quirk, got into UA, and has been fighting villains for almost a year.

"I know how bad you feel about not having a quirk, son."

"Uh, dad?"

"But it's a dangerous business, heroing. I hate to say it, but there are times when I'm glad you're not at risk like that."

"Dad?"

"Like at Kamino, when All Might nearly died stopping that villain? If you were a hero, you might have been caught right in the middle of that!"

"Dad?"

"I mean, I even heard that some crazy kid in this year's Sports Festival broke his arms against someone. Not even in the finals! You're lucky you don't have to worry about things like that."

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I had assumed his dad had died or something, not that he was literally just never home like Jotaro's jazz musician father

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Galvanik posted:

I just think it's weird that nobody got this mad about Shoto forgiving his mother, the one who scalded off half his face.

it's easier for people to look past that because she was also being actively abused by endeavor at the time

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kild posted:

'What if I giant big rear end in a top hat achieves his dream that caused him to become said giant big rear end in a top hat without actually earning it in the way he wanted so now he feels empty' is a cool plot beat.

I did like that, yeah, and Endeavor's reaction to realizing that High-End is the same as he was, and responding by loving murdering his symbolic old self (and High-End is totally dead, that's part of what Dabi is chewing Hawks out about this chapter) was good too. I still feel like some things shifted way too quickly and/or easily though, and given both the subject matter itself and SJ's history of meddling in this sort of thing I'm still somewhat worried.

Galvanik posted:

He was established as seeing all that as his father's fault and his mother as another victim from the moment we learned about the incident, and it makes sense since she was nice to him and trying to protect him from Endeavor's abuse up until she snapped. And even then he had issues and it took him a while to bring himself to go see her. What Rei did was awful, but she was also abused by Endeavor, making it easier to be sympathetic for her, and it flowed naturally from the story.

With Endeavor, though, not only is the magnitude of what he's done (forced Rei into marriage as part of a eugenics project, had and discarded kids callously for the same reason, physically and mentally abused Shoto from a young age, abused Rei until she had a breakdown, etc.) greater, but the shift to him being nice-ish and the story seeming to frame him more positively felt a lot more sudden and unearned to some people, myself included. It's already a tough subject to deal with, so when we get Endeavor being portrayed as not-lovely and Shoto smiling after an interaction with him, it can provoke something of an emotional reaction.

Though, on the subject of something several people have brought up, the thing with Rei and the flowers is... Uncomfortable, but also not necessarily unrealistic; I've seen firsthand people who've been abused remembering more positive interactions with their abuser fondly, a day after they had been bursting into tears randomly throughout the day over the course of... Weeks, over things that had happened, so. Yeah. Again, I'm personally trying to reserve judgment until I see where it goes, because while some things have been very uncomfortable and I can easily see it going bad, it could be handled well still.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 22, 2018

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
This person translated an interview with Horikoshi from some magazine.

It has some neat little bits of info:

quote:

Interviewer: When you’re thinking of challenging yourself, is there a specific movie that you watch to get the gears going, so to speak?

Horikoshi: Hmm…what would that be…I guess it has nothing to do with American comics, but the movie AKIRA by Katsuhiro Otomo would be it. We play Akira often in the office. From the world up until the characters, it’s a vast and complex piece. I really like the character Tetsuo. Not just his character design, but his gestures and the way he talks is super cool.

That’s why I made Bakugou Katsuki from BNHA similar to the character of Tetsuo in the movie. Oh, I just remembered, but in the upcoming movie, there is a very AKIRA-esque scene. Bakugou and Izuku have these scene where they’re talking to each other that is very Tetsuo-like. I was happy that this scene was included!

quote:

Interviewer: Thank you very much. Lastly, there is one thing that I am very curious about regarding the invisible female character Hagakure Tooru. What does her real face look like?

Horikoshi: To tell you the truth, I have no idea (laughs). When I was writing the Cultural Festival arc, there was talk in the planning stages to have her win the beauty pageant.

Interviewer: Then that means she would be super cute!

Horikoshi: Maybe, perhaps her beauty would overpower the other girls, maybe an absolutely stunning girl?? (laughs) But if Hagakure were to win the beauty pageant, then she would have to probably cover herself in powder or something so you can see her face… Also, if she truly is a true beauty, I myself don’t even know how to draw that, and it would be a pretty large hurdle for me to figure out. So rather than not drawing it, I CAN’T draw it… In either case, to be curt, I would say that my real intention is to probably never have to draw her real face (laughs). If I did, probably all the other girl characters would be obsolete- that’s how beautiful she should be. But anything more than that- please cut me some slack here! (laughs)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like this part about the villains.

quote:

Interviewer: Speaking of BNHA villains, within their beliefs lies some twisted aesthetics, and they completely oppose the Hero’s Association and leaves an impression of constant conflict.

Horikoshi: Yes, that’s right. There are many different types of villains. For example you have the Villain Stain who has his own firm beliefs, you have villains who are utterly not capable of being saved, you also have those who have no choice but to be a villain– there are a lot of different types of villains.

Interviewer: “Villains who are not capable of being saved.” Is there anyone in the BNHA world who’s like that?

Horikoshi: I think if I answer that question, it will be a huge spoiler, but characters like Muscular who find great happiness in killing others would fit this category. If there comes a story about a villain being saved, then I feel like there needs to be a reward for that.

Interviewer: “A villain that should be saved.” Would Shigaraki Tomura apply to this category?

Horikoshi: Yes, I think so. But I think that we have gotten to the point where Shigaraki can no longer turn back though. How should I put this, if I say more, I feel like it’ll dampen your imagination, so I won’t explain in detail. All I can say is that I hope you look forward to the expansion of the story from here on out.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well he has always been shockingly supportive of his Son ever since the Stain Arc. It just was not until the Makeup exam that he really wanted to try and reconnect with him and the rest of his family.

Has Endeavor ever not been supportive? He is just loving poo poo-terrible at it and also Todoroki hates him for it since he's not doing it for his sake.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Galvanik posted:

When his mother shows up for more than ten panels and becomes a central character I will get mad.

It’s not weird at all and this is a false equivalency. His mom is two steps removed from being an offscreen plot device.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The only question anyone should be asking Horikoshi is if Miruko is going to train Deku

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
On reflection (and reading this thread) I get why people are worried about Endeavor being "redeemed" or some how cleansed of the abuse he did. I do think Todoroki maybe going on to have an actually good relationship with his father isn't necessarily unrealistic or bad; even non-abusive relationships are complicated.

I still think that there have been overreactions from people online, though, and I think part of those overreactions are from the toxic way tumblr handles fandom.

Anyhoo, if at any point in the manga Shoto says that he forgives Endeavor I'll dress up as Shoto and do something stupid as determined by the thread. I'm serious about this

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Eej posted:

The only question anyone should be asking Horikoshi is if Miruko is going to train Deku

Anyone asking that would be admitting to his face that they read illegal scans so thank god they did not.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Anyone asking that would be admitting to his face that they read illegal scans so thank god they did not.

You realize Miruko first appeared several chapters ago, right

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

You realize Miruko first appeared several chapters ago, right

Yeah, standing completely still on stage. If someone out there has been theorycrafting about Miruko training Deku since her inital appearance then I apologize for being presumptuous, but in my experience nobody brought it up until she crashed the scene like a complete loving badass in the most recent chapter.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah, standing completely still on stage. If someone out there has been theorycrafting about Miruko training Deku since her inital appearance then I apologize for being presumptuous, but in my experience nobody brought it up until she crashed the scene like a complete loving badass in the most recent chapter.

We got a taste of her character in the same chapter that Hawks and Endeavor had their first moment together.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
iirc nobody knew she had bomb rear end kicks until now, though, which is what got people wanting to see it somehow influence Deku's shoot style.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i dont think the author cares hes making mad bank either way

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I saw people bringing it up at her first appearance. She's a rabbit, Deku's got kind of a rabbit vibe from his costume, it's a link. More of a deal's been made with less.

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I was one of those weirdos theory crafting around it but didn't want to post it at the time 'cause I thought it was too lame to talk about. My reasoning was 1) the bunny motif 2) the bunny motif with her level of swolness made it pretty safe to say she had kicks and/or hops and 3) she has that really aggressive, Bakugo-esque personality that Deku has occasionally tried to pick up on. I figure the character arch would be she'd push him to be more assertive and aggressive -- which would contrast with his time under Nighteye, who demanded he be analytical and cautious -- and he'd show her that having a sidekick can be fun and valuable.

:goonsay:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Mirk is probably going to be like Kamui Woods or Mt. Lady: competent and fun when they appear but pretty firmly the side character's side character

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That's fair, I never thought anything of her besides her sick design until the last chapter but it shouldn'tve been surprising that other people could've made that leap. I guess I'm just sensitive to the dumbass fans who tweet or blurt out spoilers as soon as the scans hit without any regard for the fact that they shouldn't know about that stuff so I read more into the question than I should've.

FYI I'm 1000% team swole rabbits.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Swole bunny seems to be popular for a character who's only appeared twice.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

Swole bunny seems to be popular for a character who's only appeared twice.

Well she's a swole bunny. Popularity seems inevitable and self-explanatory.

thetoughestbean posted:

Mirk is probably going to be like Kamui Woods or Mt. Lady: competent and fun when they appear but pretty firmly the side character's side character

One day there will be a Kamui Woods and Mt. Lady arc or at least like a couple chapters long fight and i'll be very excited about it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well she's a swole bunny. Popularity seems inevitable and self-explanatory.

She's also the top ranked female hero in Japan and the little we got of her says she likes to punch evil in the face. So that helps too.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Horikoshi does the best battle faces/screams in the biz

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

You can read illegal scans and still have a paid subscribed :colbert:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Galvanik posted:

yeah but it's still kinda disrespectful to walk up to a creator and say "so I pirate your work..."

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

yeah but it's still kinda disrespectful to walk up to a creator and say "so I pirate your work..."

Yeah, this is what I meant. I read the scans and have a Shonen Jump subscription too! But specifically, at the time of that Q&A the new Jump containing the chapter with Miruko wasn't out.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1021342733913358337

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It certainly helps swole bunny that she's appealing in many ways.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Dabi is Deku's father. :tinfoil:

it would be an interesting swerve to have dabi be related in some way to deku through his father rather than endeavor

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

One of my greatest joys in life will be the day that Deku's father is revealed to be a nondescript businessman.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dekus dad is saitama

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Miruko also had the same badass face full of confidence during her introduction which was appealing combined with people wanting cool female heroes in a fairly male dominated cast (at least by characters that actually do things and have real focus). Here ground pounding in and looking like Bakugao just made her more endearing.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
if the fight against High-End is at all intended to be a parallel for endeavors attempt to reconnect with his family, then consider how endeavor got the absolute poo poo kicked out of him, nearly died, was faced with doubt on his ability to actually succeed from nearly everyone watching, and had support from literally one other person the entire time, and could have been killed right at the end if dabi was feeling a little more bloodthirsty. also the big hero moment at the end comes from him trying to imitate his betters wholeheartedly, rather than be the huge standoffish dickweed he's been the whole time and get rewarded from it

it feels to me like this is telegraphing that any good deed endeavor tries to do from here on is going to be extremely difficult for him to pull off, and hes still going to be at risk of the rug being pulled out from underneath him if he slips up at all, or gets unlucky

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Galvanik posted:

Are we ignoring the idea that there are Americans who can read Japanese and Jump is a pretty easy magazine to get your hands on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The scans we get are based on leaks that come out before the issue hits sale, and therefore are still illegal. Like, the first time one could get the most recent chapter legitimately in Japan was yesterday.