Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nana Visitor is barely even in The Visitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Nana Visitor is barely even in The Visitor

She was just visiting.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

I'm having a lot of trouble parsing this because I haaaate Funkopops.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Discovery Klingons are like Funko Pops in that they really piss off nerds and will be completely forgotten in ten years.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Discovery is like Funko Pops in that it really pisses off nerds and will be completely forgotten in ten years.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Okay I’ve always wondered does the Shat truly spend a significant amount of time online and aware of pop culture enough to tweet a lot of this stuff, or is it a shell account run by a team of 20-somethings like Wendy’s?

For some reason I have a hard time imagining an 80+ year old actor giving enough of a poo poo about the internet in general.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I played Overwatch with Shatner the other day. His PS4 name is teh_Pwnerer, and he mains Mei.

If you think children call each other names, wait until you hear William Shatner get ganked across the map by some level-1 newb.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

HD DAD posted:

Okay I’ve always wondered does the Shat truly spend a significant amount of time online and aware of pop culture enough to tweet a lot of this stuff, or is it a shell account run by a team of 20-somethings like Wendy’s?

For some reason I have a hard time imagining an 80+ year old actor giving enough of a poo poo about the internet in general.

Buzz Aldrin is almost 90 and was talking up a storm about Apollo 11 the last two days on his Twitter.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Shatner has been enmeshed in nerd culture for what, near 50 years at this point? I can believe he would see twitter as a way to engage and hustle between conventions.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

HD DAD posted:

He might have people tweet for him sometimes, but he definitely tweets things himself. He went on a rant about how he only does photos and autographs at cons.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"Hard Time" was really dark. Between the "evil Changeling O'Brien" and O'Brien in this episode, his actor Colm Meaney was really working the talent that season

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HD DAD posted:

Shatner owns, he has a show where he goes on vacation with Terry Bradshaw, George Foreman, and Henry Winkler and he's awesome as hell and super gets into the history of every place they visit.

Also Henry Winkler seems like the nicest dude ever and it's adorable :3:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Haviing seen Shatner in person I can say hes as sharp as a tack, a raconteur, and charming. I can see him being in tune with a lot of nerd culture. That said I don't think he's personally doing all those tweets about CW shows and catty twitter wars.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Shatner seems like he'd be super loving fun to be around.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Reminder he's also a huge prick and had cat fights daily with the cast and is/ was not welcome with like half the people he's known. Dude is a huge prima Donna.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Arglebargle III posted:

Reminder he's also a huge prick and had cat fights daily with the cast and is/ was not welcome with like half the people he's known. Dude is a huge prima Donna.

Yeah but I know people like that and I don't mind them. They can be really fun just you got to keep the dynamic light.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arglebargle III posted:

Avery Brooks trolling the gently caress out of him was the best part of The Captains.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

Stop with harry mudd. stop trying to make harry mudd a thing. He was one of the corniest stupidest parts of loving TOS, who on earth gives a poo poo about harry mudd aaaggghh. I feel like i'm in a mad house.

Counterpoint: the time loop episode of Discovery was some of the best Trek we've seen in years.

If they are making the JJTrek alternate timelines into a plot-line for Discovery I hope the last shot of the season is a shot for shot recreation of the end of S1, except this time it's the JJPrise.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Senor Tron posted:

Counterpoint: the time loop episode of Discovery was some of the best Trek we've seen in years.

If they are making the JJTrek alternate timelines into a plot-line for Discovery I hope the last shot of the season is a shot for shot recreation of the end of S1, except this time it's the JJPrise.

And then S3 is just a shot for shot remake of S2, except with Bruce Greenwood.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

galenanorth posted:

"Hard Time" was really dark. Between the "evil Changeling O'Brien" and O'Brien in this episode, his actor Colm Meaney was really working the talent that season

The writers basically came out and admitted that Colm Meaney was the best actor on the show, so they knew he could act the poo poo out of it when they made him suffer.

I kind of want to visit the dimension where he got the part when he auditioned for Captain Picard, though, just long enough to watch all the episodes and movies there.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Long enough to record them and bring them back, I hope.

Also if you ever do go dimension/timeline hopping, keep an eye out for the lost episodes of Doctor Who from the '60s.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Interreality bit torrent would really be something.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Brawnfire posted:

"Beam me up, Shmlotty!"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

EimiYoshikawa posted:

The writers basically came out and admitted that Colm Meaney was the best actor on the show, so they knew he could act the poo poo out of it when they made him suffer.

I kind of want to visit the dimension where he got the part when he auditioned for Captain Picard, though, just long enough to watch all the episodes and movies there.

I really want to see that now but without Patrick Stewart TNG may have died after the first season.

edit: Also best case scenario would be that he uses the same Irish accent but they keep Picard French.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 23, 2018

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

Just be warned that in every universe, Firefly starts getting weird after about the sixth season.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm interested in a universe where the popular revival of Star Trek was based around the Animated Series and not TOS, and Star Trek becomes known as an animated property. All spin-offs carry on from that point.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Powered Descent posted:

Just be warned that in every universe, Firefly is still overrated.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Brawnfire posted:

I'm interested in a universe where the popular revival of Star Trek was based around the Animated Series and not TOS, and Star Trek becomes known as an animated property. All spin-offs carry on from that point.

And everyone sounds like they're recording their lines over the telephone while absolutely demolished on sleeping pills.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brawnfire posted:

Remember that Gary Seven episode of TOS that was supposed to be a backdoor pilot for a spinoff show? I once read a book where the first sign the protagonist had landed in an alternate universe was that his coworker who was a serious Trekkie was instead a Gary Seven fangirl and that it was originally a spinoff was almost entirely forgotten by modern fans.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wanna see the universe where Denise Crosby got the role of Troi and Rosalind Chao got the role of Yar.

I mean, think about it. Assuming Crosby gets burned out in that role like she did as Yar, what would TNG look like later on if Yar had stayed but Troi was gone?

Pakled fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 23, 2018

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Isn’t Star Trek V: The Final Frontier basically just the animated episode The Magicks of Megas-Tu except instead of going to the centre of the galaxy and meeting Satan (who turns out to be a chill bro) they go to the centre of the galaxy and meet God (who turns out to be a dick)?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It still kind of chaps my hide that they let Crosby get burned out by making Yar such a nothing character most of the time. Whenever she returned as an alternate Yar or as something else, it was pretty cool.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Pakled posted:

I wanna see the universe where Denise Crosby got the role of Troi and Rosalind Chao got the role of Yar.

I mean, think about it. Assuming Crosby gets burned out in that role like she did as Yar, what would TNG look like later on if Yar had stayed but Troi was gone?

Worf inexplicably becomes the new ship's counselor.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqwYUumrXm0

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pakled posted:

That's not necessarily a valid assumption, though. Crosby got burned out largely because there was often little for her to do, and the way they shot the bridge scenes meant she was typically standing up at the horseshoe for most of the day.

If she's playing Troi, she's got a seat and she's getting more material. I think in this scenario, it's at least as likely that Yar still dies, and Denise Crosby plays Troi for multiple seasons.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Cythereal posted:

Remember that Gary Seven episode of TOS that was supposed to be a backdoor pilot for a spinoff show? I once read a book where the first sign the protagonist had landed in an alternate universe was that his coworker who was a serious Trekkie was instead a Gary Seven fangirl and that it was originally a spinoff was almost entirely forgotten by modern fans.

The Fold by Peter Clines? I liked that one.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Shatner's face popping up in Range 15, a movie that should be exhibit A in all arguments against freedom of speech, reveals that he's somewhere on the continuum of complete dope to shameless rear end in a top hat

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CPColin posted:

"Evasive maneuvers! There's coffee in that nebula!"

lol

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Angry Salami posted:

Worf inexplicably becomes the new ship's counselor.

"Mr. Worf? I'm here for my appointment."

"Ugh, very well. You may be seated."

"On...this? It doesn't look very comfortable."

"Comfort is dishonourable, Lieutenant. It is obvious that your moral weakness has brought shame upon you in some way, leading to your current distress. Tell me of the myriad, craven ways in which you have disappointed your House."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Deep Space Nine Nine