Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Regalingualius posted:

That kind of reminds me: has it been stated where the vampire actually comes from? By that I mean, did he already exist before Durkon was vamped, or was he custom-created by Hel?

If it’s the latter, I could see Durkon trying to appeal to him through that, trying to convince him that he got the short end of Hel’s stick... but, granted, that seems like kind of a stretch.

The last pages of Blood Runs in the Family imply he was custom created by Hel for his purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

That kind of reminds me: has it been stated where the vampire actually comes from? By that I mean, did he already exist before Durkon was vamped, or was he custom-created by Hel?

If it’s the latter, I could see Durkon trying to appeal to him through that, trying to convince him that he got the short end of Hel’s stick... but, granted, that seems like kind of a stretch.

There was also a more recent page that confirms he was custom made:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1007.html

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Maybe one of the dead miner's family members that they got after being revived (one of them seemed to be married and have a kid) will turn out to have a mass dispell? :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Have we seen vampire versions of the people durkons mum got raised?

E: stunt grammar

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 22, 2018

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

mmkay posted:

There was also a more recent page that confirms he was custom made:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1007.html

that page even says the vampire could reject hel's plan, so maybe we will see an about face.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

sebmojo posted:

Have we seen vampire versions of the people durkons mum got raised?

E: stunt grammar

I think that'd have gotten a reaction from Durkon, so probably not.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Roy's unconsciousness makes this harder to see happening, but it seems like the conversation between Roy and the High Priest of Thor should become important some time soon. Rich basically spends two whole panels showing us Checkov's Pardon there, it seems unlikely to be a throwaway.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

Gally posted:

that page even says the vampire could reject hel's plan, so maybe we will see an about face.

Yeah, but I'd bet a lot of gold that Durkula was just lying to make Durkon feel worse there.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This is actually a bit of an emotional rollercoaster.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think we should take everything Yurkon says with a grain of salt, because it represents his worldview rather than any technical truths about vampires. I very much doubt he'll ever reject Hel's plan because he was literally created by Hel for the sole purpose of fulfilling her scheme.

If you've ever read the discussion threads on the OotS forum, half the discussion about this latest strip is talking about how vampire Belkar would be a badass vampire slayer because his worst experience was watching Durkon get turned into a vampire, even though the punchline of the strip is Yurkon learning that his worldview is patently false.

I don't know how much of the discussion threads Rich actually reads, but it must be extremely draining.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
He's said a while ago that he tries to avoid reading speculation, because someone getting it right makes him want to change things. I'm sure that's a convenient excuse for "every time I read my forums, I want to delete them".

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
there's also the fact that the strips that follow yurkon talking about how hes actually just a dark shadow of durkons soul consist of roy beating the everloving poo poo out of durkon while talking about how the vampire and durkon are actually completely unrelated to one another

so that's probably a point for that camp

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I stopped reading the Oots forums a long time ago, I get everything I would want to get from them here in smaller more manageable doses just fine.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

The only reason to go to the GITP forums is to reference the class/level geekery post, and that's only if you're playing the "see if the comic is internally consistent with D&D rules" game or similar grognardery.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Have Roy's attacks missed at a rate proportional to his Targets' armor class, a Bayesian factor analysis pg 1 of 25,484

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The only reason to go to the GITP forums is to reference the class/level geekery post, and that's only if you're playing the "see if the comic is internally consistent with D&D rules" game or similar grognardery.

To be fair basing a story on an established set of rules that everyone interested in the story understands on a broad level is a pretty neat trick at paving over some of the worst potential issues regarding high fantasy regarding deus ex machina's; the grognardary serves a useful role for both the audience and the writer as a time saving measure.

I think like around half of the original Fate/Stay Night visual novel was dedicated to explaining the setting just so they could break all of those rules in the adequately dramatic moments.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
IS there a statue of limitations on casting a res?

If you had the Twin Paradox thing where Twin A died, accident or war, and Twin B, for whatever reason, took decades to get A ressed, would Twin A be the same age as when he died the first time?

Could you dig someone up thats been dead 300 years and res them?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Johnny Aztec posted:

IS there a statue of limitations on casting a res?
Depends on the res. Raise dead is a day per caster level. Reinarnate is a flat week. Resurrection is a decade per caster level.

Johnny Aztec posted:

If you had the Twin Paradox thing where Twin A died, accident or war, and Twin B, for whatever reason, took decades to get A ressed, would Twin A be the same age as when he died the first time?
People come back at the age they were when they died, unless it was a Reincarnate spell, in which case they come back as a young adult of a random species.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Could you dig someone up thats been dead 300 years and res them?
If you're level 30.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Depends on the res. Raise dead is a day per caster level. Reinarnate is a flat week. Resurrection is a decade per caster level.
People come back at the age they were when they died, unless it was a Reincarnate spell, in which case they come back as a young adult of a random species.
If you're level 30.

And they didn't die of old age.

Do you age while dead?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

ikanreed posted:

And they didn't die of old age.

Do you age while dead?

No, you decompose.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

use a phoenix down on xykon

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Raenir Salazar posted:

To be fair basing a story on an established set of rules that everyone interested in the story understands on a broad level is a pretty neat trick at paving over some of the worst potential issues regarding high fantasy regarding deus ex machina's; the grognardary serves a useful role for both the audience and the writer as a time saving measure.

I think like around half of the original Fate/Stay Night visual novel was dedicated to explaining the setting just so they could break all of those rules in the adequately dramatic moments.

Oh, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It's the primary gimmick of the comic, after all. What I was trying to say is that the comic's fun enough in its own right that needing to derive enjoyment from checking its internal consistency isn't really necessary.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
i like the D&D aspect of the comic, both because it lends itself well to the cool kind of group set piece fights that rich loves so much, and it's something fun and easy to riff on when ever rich needs an end of comic joke

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1129.html

here we go

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

gently caress this is excellent

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
Rich is on a goddamn roll with these updates

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Callback to this: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0084.html

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wow, this is all coming together beautifully. Thanks to all the people posting links to all the past comics that cover the hints for what's going on here!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
This is fantastic, and I really like how Durkon in the memory is the one arguing for selfishness because it shows just how much understanding what his mother did changed him and his outlook on life.

Shaking lemur butt posted:

Rich is on a goddamn roll with these updates

If you're a writer who has been thinking about a story for a long time, running scenes over and over inside your head, refining them, getting them out and onto a page is a lot easier than filling in the gaps between Big Scene A and Big Scene B. That's probably a large reason why these recent strips are coming faster.

EDIT: Beaten

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 23, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

That, and he's done with the work on the latest book.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Rich pretty much always puts a bunch of comics out rapidly when it's near a really big plot or character moment.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Soup du Jour posted:

gently caress this is excellent

Genuine chills reading that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Goddammit, I know we're in an obvious "I waited until the rest of the book was finished before releasing any of the strips and now they're going to come out at a fairly crisp pace" period here, but goddammit! Put out the next strip now!

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
yeah i got goosebumps when durkon's mom and dad were reaching out for each other, and durkons dad just had this brave confident smile on his face even though he knew he was going to die

poo poo is beautiful man

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

What's really interesting is that Durkon apparently took away the wrong lesson from his mom all those years ago. Going by what he's telling Hilgya in that old strip, he apparently thought his mother meant that he should ignore his feelings because doing one's duty is far more important. But the context of what she's telling him in the memory is that he should ignore his selfish desires and impulses so that he can do good by others, even if he gets nothing back in return.

God, I can't wait for the next update.

Also, something else that occurred to me the other day - Durkon's mom is responsible for cheating Hel out of five souls. So what better revenge to take on Durkon's mom than cursing her son (a cleric of Thor, no less!) with the destiny that he'll bring death and destruction that delivers the souls of all the dwarven people right to Hel?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope Durkon is expelled from Yurkon and they fist fight in a garbage dump.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
But enough about my Friday nights.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I hope Durkon is expelled from Yurkon and they fist fight in a garbage dump.

Can I get a Hel yeah?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Charlie Bobson posted:

yeah i got goosebumps when durkon's mom and dad were reaching out for each other, and durkons dad just had this brave confident smile on his face even though he knew he was going to die

poo poo is beautiful man

Perhaps the reason she never wanted her arm restored was because it was still holding her husband's hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

bartolimu posted:

Roy's unconsciousness makes this harder to see happening, but it seems like the conversation between Roy and the High Priest of Thor should become important some time soon. Rich basically spends two whole panels showing us Checkov's Pardon there, it seems unlikely to be a throwaway.
For the record, even though I don't see how any more either, I'm all in on believing the same thing. There's no way this doesn't end up being important:

"Hela may have created me, but she shaped me to fit perfectly in the hole in your heart."

"What good does it do?"
"I would not venture a guess, but it is true. And the truth always has a use."