Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don Gato posted:

The pinnacle of AI is Serious Sam's "gently caress it, just charge" method. Sometimes I don't want to think, I just want to shoot lots of dudes and if they hide it means I have to waste time flushing them out of cover, which is time spent not murdering dudes.

For my money the assassin AI from half life is still really loving difficult. Especially in Black Mesa, those are legit the hardest two encounters in the game.

It's basically the soldier AI except it runs away when you look at it, and it can jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Don Gato posted:

The pinnacle of AI is Serious Sam's "gently caress it, just charge" method. Sometimes I don't want to think, I just want to shoot lots of dudes and if they hide it means I have to waste time flushing them out of cover, which is time spent not murdering dudes.

Yeah the reason nobody complains about Doom AI or similar is because it doesn’t NEED to be smart. The challenge is mainly from throwing huge numbers of dudes at you from all sides, and in tricky combinations.

The problem with a lot of newer games is that because rendering a fully modeled character is WAY more hardware intensive than a billboard sprite, there was a major shift to “fewer, smarter/tougher enemies”. GPUs are powerful enough now that it doesn’t really matter anymore but a lot of design wisdom was codified in that period so it’s still the main approach that developers take.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quicksilver6 posted:

but that game's not awful? I mean it's Chasing the Dragon, the video game, but I seen worse.

I posted that because there's so much in it to unpack. The reviewer played the PC based first game for over 300 hours. He likes the automator which automates one of the few game features of the game. He paid $29.99 for a clicker.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I used to work in games and I remember talking to one of the ai guys (who's pretty well regarded in the field, he wrote a book I think) about it and he said the worst thing about it is that people only notice when it goes wrong, and if it goes right only you and like two other people notice.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

I used to work in games and I remember talking to one of the ai guys (who's pretty well regarded in the field, he wrote a book I think) about it and he said the worst thing about it is that people only notice when it goes wrong, and if it goes right only you and like two other people notice.

A lot of people in special effects have the same complaint. People always talk about bad CGI but when CGI is good you don’t even realize anything’s been changed.

In GalCiv 2 they really wanted people to notice the AI and one thing that worried them was reviewers playing on easier difficulties (which deliberately dumb it down) then complaining that the AI is stupid. So they put in special dialogue from AI empires that basically amounted to “I see you doing this thing but I’m not going to do anything about it because I’m on easy”.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 17, 2018

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/874700/The_Putinland_Divide__Conquer/

quote:

Destroy Putinland by finding nuclear switch. Avoid Demon Putin and his slaves in this meme FPS...

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

In GalCiv 2 they really wanted people to notice the AI and one thing that worried them was reviewers playing on easier difficulties (which deliberately dumb it down) then complaining that the AI is stupid. So they put in special dialogue from AI empires that basically amounted to “I see you doing this thing but I’m not going to do anything about it because I’m on easy”.

On the other hand, if you were playing GalCiv at normal or higher difficulty, where the AI is not crippled, if you start massing troops at the enemy border, the AI sends you a message: "I noticed you are massing troops nearby. Perhaps you received your military training by playing 'video games', where your opponents do not notice this sort of thing. We do."

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the reason nobody complains about Doom AI or similar is because it doesn’t NEED to be smart. The challenge is mainly from throwing huge numbers of dudes at you from all sides, and in tricky combinations.

The problem with a lot of newer games is that because rendering a fully modeled character is WAY more hardware intensive than a billboard sprite, there was a major shift to “fewer, smarter/tougher enemies”. GPUs are powerful enough now that it doesn’t really matter anymore but a lot of design wisdom was codified in that period so it’s still the main approach that developers take.

This is why EDF is the best game

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Check out the 3 reviews that mention ""11 levels and many weapons" definitely not review bots that's for sure

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Shoulda been Mecha/CyberPutin.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
https://store.steampowered.com/app/791020/Drumpf_Rise_Up_Libertonia/

Presented without comment.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
For a second I assumed that was made by the Deponia devs

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The White Dragon posted:

For a second I assumed that was made by the Deponia devs

Given the art and the politics, I'm not sure it isn't.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Tell me about Deponia

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lunethex posted:

Tell me about Deponia

It was fun. Not as funny as I'd like, but fun. Some serious adventure game moon logic, which is either blessing or curse, depending on how the spirit moves you.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Lunethex posted:

Tell me about Deponia

It's a point-and-click adventure with a decent amount of moon-logic and writing that steadily gets worse as the series goes on. It starts out darkly humourous, but by the third or fourth game, the guy you spend the entire game following devolves into being just a hateful, loathsome gently caress.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Inco posted:

It's a point-and-click adventure with a decent amount of moon-logic and writing that steadily gets worse as the series goes on. It starts out darkly humourous, but by the third or fourth game, the guy you spend the entire game following devolves into being just a hateful, loathsome gently caress.

Hard to imagine he gets worse, he starts the first game as an extremely unlikable rear end in a top hat who feels like he stepped right out of CAD. Bounced off very hard as a result. Which was a shame because I did like the art direction of the world.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Sardonik posted:

Hard to imagine he gets worse, he starts the first game as an extremely unlikable rear end in a top hat who feels like he stepped right out of CAD. Bounced off very hard as a result. Which was a shame because I did like the art direction of the world.

Yeah, it looks great, but Rufus starts out bad and only gets worse. By the third game, he's destroying a black woman's life so he can actually literally sell her into slavery to an organ grinder (who insists on referring to her exclusively as "Monkey").

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Inco posted:

Yeah, it looks great, but Rufus starts out bad and only gets worse. By the third game, he's destroying a black woman's life so he can actually literally sell her into slavery to an organ grinder (who insists on referring to her exclusively as "Monkey").

:allbuttons:

Jesus christ what the hell were they thinking.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sardonik posted:

He gets worse. There's also more weird abject racist poo poo as the games progress, like the only black character having to be a dancing monkey.

e: beaten like Deponia's writers should have been

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Oh. gently caress me. I played the first and enjoyed it, forgot about it, and bought the sequels on a, "Oh, they made more of these," impulse.

Guess I might as well play them to see for myself.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Oh. gently caress me. I played the first and enjoyed it, forgot about it, and bought the sequels on a, "Oh, they made more of these," impulse.

Guess I might as well play them to see for myself.

:same:

They were on sale, looked good so I picked them up. I got an hour or so into the first one and found I hated the MC/story.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Glagha posted:

:allbuttons:

Jesus christ what the hell were they thinking.

Apparently the writer of the Deponia games is an edgelord who claims that Rufus is supposed to be a satire of the sociopathic actions that adventure game protagonists sometimes get up to but mostly just seemed to be using that as a pretext to be as offensive as possible.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Ikari Worrier posted:

Apparently the writer of the Deponia games is an edgelord who claims that Rufus is supposed to be a satire of the sociopathic actions that adventure game protagonists sometimes get up to but mostly just seemed to be using that as a pretext to be as offensive as possible.

Writing good satire without becoming the thing you're satirising is like doing a handstand across a tightrope. Unfortunately most game writers have hams for hands so it rarely goes well.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Inco posted:

:psypop:

I always avoided these games because I heard they were bad but that's a level I did not expect. That's hideous.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dire Lemming posted:

Writing good satire without becoming the thing you're satirising is like doing a handstand across a tightrope. Unfortunately most game writers have hams for hands so it rarely goes well.

The other snag is that even if you make it so over the top ridiculous while holding a gigantic sign over it that says "I do not support or believe in this at all and you are a bad person if you do" you'll still get people going "this but unironically."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ikari Worrier posted:

I sense the famous 'if you like it you like it but if you don't it's satire you don't get' defense from the writer.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ikari Worrier posted:

Rufus is very clearly meant to be a bad person, but if you still find that stuff distasteful I think that's completely fair. It's not like the games are very funny or clever anyway

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Dawgstar posted:

I sense the famous 'if you like it you like it but if you don't it's satire you don't get' defense from the writer.

Shades of Far Cry 3.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

Rufus is very clearly meant to be a bad person, but if you still find that stuff distasteful I think that's completely fair. It's not like the games are very funny or clever anyway
The thing is about an rear end in a top hat protagonist is that they have to be funny or at least interesting enough that you still want to watch them in action or it just doesn't work.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 23, 2018

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Inco posted:

Oh sweet jesus. :psypop:

I mean his character might have worked if it was a rival or villan to dunk on over the course of the game, but as the protagonist holy poo poo no.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Point & clicks with impossible-to-like protagonists are basically Daedalic's thing, with the exception of Memoria.

I'll give them some props for publishing Shadow Tactics though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I looked up some Daedalic's oeuvre, and they have something called Randal's Monday where they start by describing him as a sociopath. And the art style reminds me of Buckley's. Ooof.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Is there a goon lets play of this apparent shitshow of a game?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I looked up some Daedalic's oeuvre, and they have something called Randal's Monday where they start by describing him as a sociopath. And the art style reminds me of Buckley's. Ooof.

It was Kickstarted with, "We have that one guy from Clerks!"

I looked absolutely awful and has reviewed as such.

As for Deponia being a shitshow, the first one is legitimately good. I can't speak beyond that. I guess there's a theme of the main female character being literally an object if you want to dig for it but it's not overly obtrusive.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Really Pants posted:

Point & clicks with impossible-to-like protagonists are basically Daedalic's thing, with the exception of Memoria.

I'll give them some props for publishing Shadow Tactics though.

The priest in Pillars is good but the main protagonist is awful. Not their fault for once though since he's pretty accurate to the books which are also awful

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The only thing I know about Deponia is that all the banners I saw for one of the games had the female lead in her underwear and that kinda thing's a huge red-flag, so it's good to hear my suspicions were entirely correct.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

That Guy Bob posted:

Looks like the LP Archive has the first three

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Ikari Worrier posted:

To be fair, he started out as a potentially a good parody but then got worse instead of ever coming to comprehend that he was a shitheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

That Guy Bob posted:

Deponia isn't really a shitshow, it just has a massive disparity between the obvious amount of effort that went into the art and music (and even some of the puzzles) and the quality of the writing it's delivering.