Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

I did :suicide: I take it I picked the two worst to start lol

Thou should'st've heeden the threaden advicen anden chooseth Tressa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

I did :suicide: I take it I picked the two worst to start lol

H'aanit is annoying because the localizers decided to make everyone in her village speak in really bad, fake Olde Englishe.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Chapter 1's ranked in terms of goodness: Primrose -> Therion -> Cyrus -> Tressa -> Olberic - Alfyn -> Haanit -> turning the game off -> Ophilia

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn’t mind hanniits the writing was poo poo but this Orphelia stuff is pure xenogear Garbo

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Is everything in this game as boring g as Ophelia’s opening

Ophilia is a good church girl doing good church things. Not much else to her other than being a good party member

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I played the demo with Olberic and Primrose and didn't really like it but then with the second demo I chose Tressa and realized the game was actually good

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Since most people will go in a circle to start most people are gonna do some combination of Haanit and Ophelia and boy those suck as chapter 1s go.

Especially Ophelia.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Since most people will go in a circle to start most people are gonna do some combination of Haanit and Ophelia and boy those suck as chapter 1s go.

Especially Ophelia.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm not sure what happened but Tressa's Chapter 4 is down.
Start of the fight was really slippery with the colored blades and it was kind of hard to keep up. Started to self buff with hired help and uh, her ai broke or something as she stopped using blades entirely and just spent every turn shifting her weight and debuffing with a attack here or there. I was pretty concerned but that was a odd fight in general

E: Wait (Tressa finale spoilers) The dude got arrested but did the girl die in the sewer? I mean she's kind of a rear end in a top hat but Tressa straight up never mentions her again lmao

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 23, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

same

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Ophilia has a pretty boring Ch1 compared to most of the others but it’s a good ride through the rest

especially by ch3 where she is like “the gods will not forgive you for what you’ve done” and kills a couple people

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Found a guy in Stonegard who is blocking a house, but you need to be level SIXTY to challenge him. Guess I gotta remember this and come back later Scrutinize every NPC in town to gain a pre-emptive strike for Haanit for the fight and then scrounge around the world for a monster that casts a poison-based spell so it can't miss so I can cheese the fight.

e: also I have a theory. I'm almost positive no NPC in Stonegard (unless the final NPC hidden in this house I can't get into yet) boosts steal rate, but I did find NPCs that boosted Guide rate, Barter deals, and Challenge initiative. My going theory is that every town either boosts the abilities of one action path or the other, meaning you won't find a boost to both Barter and Steal in the same town, Challenge or Duel, etc.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 23, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I ruined the credits oh no :(

So many of them are me saving the boss's mooks for last so it's just them getting poked to death, or me using beguiling grace and exploding everything including myself. Heck I even had a couple where it was killed off eye for eye.

Can't wait to wrap up more of these later :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

Ophilia has a pretty boring Ch1 compared to most of the others but it’s a good ride through the rest

especially by ch3 where she is like “the gods will not forgive you for what you’ve done” and kills a couple people

Yeah I'll admit I was pretty disappointed in her Ch1. The description makes it sound like poo poo's going to happen and then it's just the most boring outcome.

As a character she's pretty good though. Her interactions with the other characters are super charming, like when she talks about being a pirate with Tressa :kimchi: Also the story gets interesting.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I love the bad middle english in battle, it pumps me up.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

One of the Bewildering Grace effects is transforming an enemy into a Cait. I wonder if it works on bosses :thunk: I got it in the same cast I got a 5x exp and that was cool.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 23, 2018

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I am so completely enamored with the Scrutinize / Inquire system and how that fits into the other path actions. I think the next game I work on is going to steal that idea outright and make an open world game where you wander from town to town just collecting NPC stories

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

WarpDogs posted:

I am so completely enamored with the Scrutinize / Inquire system and how that fits into the other path actions. I think the next game I work on is going to steal that idea outright and make an open world game where you wander from town to town just collecting NPC stories

I haven't played it, I've only listened to VGHD and the Waypoint crews talk about it, but I have the impression that Where The Water Tastes Like Wine was like that. Everyone mentioned that it had potential but really fell down the bad adventure game logic hole.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
So, I'm still not very far but I think in terms which character to choose first, with regards to not being able to remove them from the party, Tressa really is tops. She can do support or attack, and she's even adequate at magic so she could do that too once you get jobs. I think Therion is the only other one that comes close to her versatility, but you might be able to make a case for Alfyn.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

DalaranJ posted:

So, I'm still not very far but I think in terms which character to choose first, with regards to not being able to remove them from the party, Tressa really is tops. She can do support or attack, and she's even adequate at magic so she could do that too once you get jobs. I think Therion is the only other one that comes close to her versatility, but you might be able to make a case for Alfyn.

I would argue Therion is the better choice solely due to the fact that Barter is only ever useful in towns, but Therion's ability to open purple chests is useful in every single dungeon so you're heavily incentivized to bring him along anyways. Alfyn's ability is good, but doesn't really bring a ton that most cleric skills don't already bring, though I guess that means you could get away without a second dedicated healer if he's your main. Cyrus has a real good quality-of-life ability but if you're coming in with foreknowledge it renders it kind of useless.

Either way, if you like Tressa you can bring her along, but I think Therion is probably the most correct choice since you get the absolute most out of bringing him everywhere.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I would argue Therion is the better choice solely due to the fact that Barter is only ever useful in towns, but Therion's ability to open purple chests is useful in every single dungeon so you're heavily incentivized to bring him along anyways. Alfyn's ability is good, but doesn't really bring a ton that most cleric skills don't already bring, though I guess that means you could get away without a second dedicated healer if he's your main. Cyrus has a real good quality-of-life ability but if you're coming in with foreknowledge it renders it kind of useless.

Either way, if you like Tressa you can bring her along, but I think Therion is probably the most correct choice since you get the absolute most out of bringing him everywhere.
Like dealing every type of elemental damage with the option of dealing it twice single target or once AoE, as well as gifting the entire party BP or making them immune to status effects? Or using poison, arguably one of the most broken things in the game?

Alfyn is best boy.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Found a guy in Stonegard who is blocking a house, but you need to be level SIXTY to challenge him.

There's someone in Marsalim who requires level 70.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
gently caress the hydra looking enemy in the Tressa chapter 3 cave. Takes forever to kill and whenever it acts, everyone gets confused and lose about 1000 hp.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Your Computer posted:

Like dealing every type of elemental damage with the option of dealing it twice single target or once AoE, as well as gifting the entire party BP or making them immune to status effects? Or using poison, arguably one of the most broken things in the game?

Alfyn is best boy.

Yeah, Alfyn's Concoct is tremendously useful and doesn't even require a subclass combo to make broken like the powerful synergies that have been mentioned previously. A Purifying Dust and Essence of Pomegranate gives your party a total of 8 BP for one action, zero SP. That's really strong and borderline necessary for quick setups when tackling hard optional stuff at low levels. Empoison and Rehabilitate are icing on the cake there.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
it’s driving me insane trying to put a side job on each of my dudes because merchant and cleric sub- classes don’t seem to fit easily with a lot of the characters. in fact i want to put both on Cyrus (I went merchant for wind and rest) and no one else at this point. i know long term there are more classes coming but still

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Princeps32 posted:

it’s driving me insane trying to put a side job on each of my dudes because merchant and cleric sub- classes don’t seem to fit easily with a lot of the characters. in fact i want to put both on Cyrus (I went merchant for wind and rest) and no one else at this point. i know long term there are more classes coming but still

Primrose, Therion, and to a less extent Tressa have good magic so Cleric is decent on them. Merchant gives a lot of defense and HP so it's pretty good on Olberic or Alfyn.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
never thought of cleric on Therion, know he’s supposed to be real good used a different way later but having a fast healer is appealing

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Can someone help me with a boss? I'm stuck on this giant guy with 2 smaller dudes behind him. I don't know the bosses name but it has like... 1 move is a slash that hits everyone and then he has a move where he charges up with a purple glow. Any help would be really great he's super difficult!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Can someone help me with a boss? I'm stuck on this giant guy with 2 smaller dudes behind him. I don't know the bosses name but it has like... 1 move is a slash that hits everyone and then he has a move where he charges up with a purple glow. Any help would be really great he's super difficult!

That's like half the bosses. Which character and chapter are you on?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

That's like half the bosses. Which character and chapter are you on?

That sums up a heck of a lot more than half. Pretty much every single chapter boss has adds and some sort of purple buff phase.

In general: kill adds first, conserve your BP until you break boss (with multi hit abilities but not BP-boosted regular attacks as they waste BP), blow all your BP on your biggest attacks on the boss. Rinse repeat.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You lost your friend's last memento of his deceased mother? I'm sure it's around here somewhere, and it's probably not even guarded by 1 giant dude and 2 dudes behind him. No, wait, poo poo they're right over there.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

That's Ophilia chapter 2 but I forget what the boss is.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Your Computer posted:

Thou should'st've heeden the threaden advicen anden chooseth Tressa Therion

:yeah:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

That's Ophilia chapter 2 but I forget what the boss is.

Giant wolf.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Sister Ophilia is friggin' outrageous!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alright I just spent a LOT of time trying to beat the level 60 house guard in Stonegard. Apparently that NPC has a chance to drop a lance you can also just buy in Grandport, so that's a bust. Inside, there's an old man. He says that he has a secret, but he can't just tell us what it is...

If you examine him, you get two new weapons in the weapon shop, both of which you will have outclassed significantly, especially considering how difficult it is to get in. That uh...that can't be the secret, right? Am I gonna be paranoid all game about this? I checked the spreadsheet to make sure that this dude wasn't someone who dropped a battle-tested weapon, and he's not. Did I just waste two hours? Why am I so obsessed with busting into houses?

Anyways, beating him was a pain but if you're interested in how to do it, or how to beat any NPC when you're significantly underleveled (I beat the dude mentioned above at level 21), here's the strat. Go to the desert zone and go to either the 2nd difficulty zone or the 3rd difficulty zone and look for Dark Roller or Giant Scorpion. Both have poison attacks, but you need a roster full of them because the odds are kinda low. The final desert town has an NPC you can buy a +80 evasion accessory from, get that and equip as much +evasion gear as you have. My evasion was like 550+. Use poison on the enemy and pray it connects. If you have the apothecary skill that increases the duration of status ailments by 1, that's SUPER useful but also a really big investment.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What's a good sub for Olberic? I was thinking cleric but his magic stats are low.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Elderbean posted:

What's a good sub for Olberic? I was thinking cleric but his magic stats are low.

Until you get the advanced jobs which outclass all the other normal jobs, I'm really liking Apothecary. +500 HP just for being the class, access to axes, healing, and eventually a passive that gives you 500 more HP.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Elderbean posted:

Hunter is good for extra breaking options, while Apothecary gives access to Empoison, which is useful for duels. Thief and Merchant are okay but don’t really exploit his advantages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Are Shackle Foe and Armor Corrosive affected by stats at all?