Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

captainOrbital posted:

If you're not being an rear end in a top hat, then why did you even buy a motorcycle?

There are only 6 different speeds at which I operate my motorcycle, and they are the rev limiter in each gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Since the crash thread appears to be archived I'll post this here:

I'm a loving idiot, I've been riding more aggressively and confidently the last month or so, and it came back to bite me (duh) the offramp to my house makes for a nice, predictable curve to test my cornering speed and lean angle on, this is, in retrospect a stupid thing to do, even stupider after a long day and a workout, because there might be 10 cars piled up at the light.

Anyways, I was pointing straight at a truck 100' away going 40mph, and panick braked, locked the rear like an idiot, fortunately didn't target fixate on the truck, steared between it and the curb, dumped most of my speed and recovered from the wobble when I hit the curb and went down. Foot pinned under the bike, had to have a couple people help lift me off it, checked for leaks, threw my broken mirror in the top case, and made it .5 miles home.

Bike's not too bad, most of the sliding was done on my foot, few rash marks on the frame, engine cover and forks, forks are still true, rh mirror snapped off.

Pants are pretty hosed, did the job though

Boots are still good

Shoulda worn my Dainese racing socks though

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Good job on the gear. My lingering memory from the most recent no prisoners video is not the many, many examples of horrible accidents, but of one guy coming off at relatively low speed in what looked like a parking lot. Guy was wearing ordinary shoes and it looked like the drat thing got scraped off so badly all you could briefly see before he turned away was the red sock. He was walking on it, but clearly wasn't enjoying it.

I'd say your boots and pants are both done though, they did their job

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I have trouble finding boots in my size, I can barely shoehorn my feet into a 14/49, so when I found the ugliest loving boots on the planet, with one left in my size, I knew I had to purchase them to replace my destroyed Cortechs. I also picked up a pair of Cortech textile pants that will hopefully hold up a little better than the mesh Tourmasters.
Boots, specifically the red/white/blue color scheme, that will soon be red/brown/blue: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-raiden-dkr-boots

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Good job not dying.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

builds character posted:

Good job not dying.

Thanks man!

Only bike (out of 4) not crashed will forever=R1 now.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Glad you're not permanently hosed up.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as textile gear that will hold up for more than one skid along pavement. Mesh especially. My summer gear is Cordura AFT that I hope won't instantly shred or melt into my skin if I go down, but I'm certain if I do crash in it that it will have to be replaced. Leathers will live through a couple of offs and can be patched or repaired, but even good perforated leather is so loving hot :(

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I have trouble finding boots in my size, I can barely shoehorn my feet into a 14/49, so when I found the ugliest loving boots on the planet, with one left in my size, I knew I had to purchase them to replace my destroyed Cortechs. I also picked up a pair of Cortech textile pants that will hopefully hold up a little better than the mesh Tourmasters.
Boots, specifically the red/white/blue color scheme, that will soon be red/brown/blue: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-raiden-dkr-boots

Christ, those loving boots tho. Good lord!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I didn't include pictures of my 6yo, $50 on closeout, Icon textile jacket because, well, it slid along a curb and smashed into a guardrail support, and you couldn't distinguish the scratches from the ones accumulated over 20+kmi of use, the hard plastic overmold took most of it, and the fabric itself merely looks sparkly from the quartz embedded in that sleeve now, the seem that rode the ground isn't even frayed, I think 600D nylon plus hard plastic overmoulding is pretty close to leather in toughness, the stuff that has nylon in impact areas and mesh in places that you're "totally not gonna hit" is pretty much sacrificial IMO, the mesh on my pants blew apart everywhere it touched, and the 600D double layer stuff over my knee barely survived, I won't wear mesh gear again to be honest, I have weird abrasions on my leg below the knee where the mesh didn't serve to protect my legs worth a poo poo, and I'm sure my shin would be rashed all to hell if I wasn't wearing shin high boots (you can just see the damage to the TPU shin guards on the boot).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

Christ, those loving boots tho. Good lord!

Don't worry, the rest of my gear is exclusively black and red, so those boots will stand out like a guady pimple on my forehead.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

Don't worry, the rest of my gear is exclusively black and red, so those boots will stand out like a guady pimple on my forehead.

I think I've worked out why you're having problems getting boots that fit.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Those Icon boots look awesome. The rest of y'all are wrong.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are only 6 different speeds at which I operate my motorcycle, and they are the rev limiter in each gear

If I did this, I would die. All the more argument for riding 300s and such.

pokie fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 11, 2018

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I've seen the same moron three times on my way home in a brand new black base 4cyl camry, darting in and out of heavy traffic like a mediocre bat out of hell. I guess all that sporty new sheet metal and plastic got to his $25,000 head.

I think the only time I saw his turn signal go on was when he left it on in the left lane for half a mile. oooooooooooonly time I've wanted to go all youtube and smash a mirror.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

spouse posted:

I've seen the same moron three times on my way home in a brand new black base 4cyl camry, darting in and out of heavy traffic like a mediocre bat out of hell. I guess all that sporty new sheet metal and plastic got to his $25,000 head.

I think the only time I saw his turn signal go on was when he left it on in the left lane for half a mile. oooooooooooonly time I've wanted to go all youtube and smash a mirror.

Same type of guy that would complain about motorcycle filtering because it's unfair.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress hipsters and their pieces of poo poo.

Been working on an early 80's gsx750, a garbage bike when new let alone four decades on which the owner has bought for fashion reasons because it looks exactly how you're imagining right now.

I explained very clearly how to start it and started it in front of him when he asked me to. I put post-it notes on the bike illustrating the fuel tap position, chok etc. Four hours later he texts me saying it won't start despite it being one of the best starting old school bikes I've ever seen.

This is like the fourth time I've been through this with the guy and I think the underlying problem is he grew up in the nice part of Europe and has basically never interacted with an analogue machine; every vehicle and device he's ever owned has been an idiot proof appliance and I honestly don't know how to break through this barrier.

I can't imagine this is the last time I'll be dealing with this because this retarded country is ten years behind the rest of the planet so bullshit hipster bikes are only really starting to take off here now.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

gently caress hipsters and their pieces of poo poo.

Been working on an early 80's gsx750, a garbage bike when new let alone four decades on which the owner has bought for fashion reasons because it looks exactly how you're imagining right now.

I explained very clearly how to start it and started it in front of him when he asked me to. I put post-it notes on the bike illustrating the fuel tap position, chok etc. Four hours later he texts me saying it won't start despite it being one of the best starting old school bikes I've ever seen.

This is like the fourth time I've been through this with the guy and I think the underlying problem is he grew up in the nice part of Europe and has basically never interacted with an analogue machine; every vehicle and device he's ever owned has been an idiot proof appliance and I honestly don't know how to break through this barrier.

I can't imagine this is the last time I'll be dealing with this because this retarded country is ten years behind the rest of the planet so bullshit hipster bikes are only really starting to take off here now.

Mate it's proper proper hosed. Yeah, the dynamo isn't energizing the points, and the problem is they don't make distributors for this model anymore. You could retrofit a more modern electrical system to it but that would be a long and expensive process. My recommendation is to cut your losses. I could take it off your hands for... Oh say roughly half what you paid for it.

Then sell it to another hipster who hopefully knows how to start a bike for double.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Problem is half the value of the bike is in the work he's paid me to do to unfuck everything the previous owner did to it. He convinced himself buying someone else's half finished project would be cheaper than just buying a functioning motorcycle, he was wrong.

Regardless I called him and got him to put me on speaker while he tried to start the bike.

Crankcrankcrankcrankcoughsplutter and RIGHT as it's about to start the dumb fucker just stops pushing the button. It took four attempts to get him to just hold the button down until it starts and a further twenty minutes to explain starting attempts aren't 'free' and every time he fucks it up just makes it harder on the next attempt.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Did he do the thing I see people do who have only ever used idiot proof electronics in their life, where they start it and let it idle and stare at it for 5 minutes straight waiting for it to stall, and it stalls, because you’re not riding it you fuckwit, if you loving ride it it’ll run fine, you can’t just idle old poo poo indefinitely like it’s a loving Camry

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The guy I bought my old Honda from had it a year and didn't know about the choke...

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Did he do the thing I see people do who have only ever used idiot proof electronics in their life, where they start it and let it idle and stare at it for 5 minutes straight waiting for it to stall, and it stalls, because you’re not riding it you fuckwit, if you loving ride it it’ll run fine, you can’t just idle old poo poo indefinitely like it’s a loving Camry

Speaking of that, it makes me irrationally angry when people sit in their idling cars in parking lots.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

I helped this dude jump an old BMW when it decided to up and quit right outside of my office. It was like 313 out (104F) and dude had to disrobe while I found some jumper cables. We were worried it was going to die again so I had to rev the engine a bit while he put his jacket and helmet back on.

I like having a modern appliance bike.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hell, i'm just ecstatic i have a hand control for the choke on the bike. Back when I had a 79 Cutlass, i'd have to drive a mile or two, pull over, pop the hood and flip the choke plate open.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is that how a car from the 70s worked when new?? The few times I've driven one I thought there was choke in the dash a lot like a bike would have?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He sure did! It's actually pretty amazing how difficult it is to put across the cantankerous imperfection of a carburettor.

'Yeah it's lovely but no it's not broken' and then ten minutes explaining that they did come up with something better and if you wanted that you should've gotten a bike from this century.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is that how a car from the 70s worked when new?? The few times I've driven one I thought there was choke in the dash a lot like a bike would have?

Most did but some cars had an automatic choke operated by whatever rube Goldberg thing the designers chose and that's naturally the first thing to break.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, to clarify, there was a dumb bimetallic spring thingy that was supposed to open the choke when the engine got hot, they were notoriously fucky to tune right, so I just disconnected that linkage and flipped it by hand. Broken car, but slavvy is 100% right, a lot of them didn't ever work right and even more died over time.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Chris Knight posted:

The guy I bought my old Honda from had it a year and didn't know about the choke...
I meet a decent number of people who seem to think the choke is a bad thing and not to use. They're happy to have it idle reeeally low while it warms up so they turn the choke off as soon as possible. Or wait for it to warm up and then turn the choke off before riding. I just wonder where they got those ideas.

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, to clarify, there was a dumb bimetallic spring thingy that was supposed to open the choke when the engine got hot, they were notoriously fucky to tune right, so I just disconnected that linkage and flipped it by hand. Broken car, but slavvy is 100% right, a lot of them didn't ever work right and even more died over time.
My dad had a 1st gen RX7 with a choke knob on the dashboard. Thing worked perfect and even seemed to automatically turn itself off over a few minutes of driving. The knob just kinda vibrated and slowly disengaged, dunno if it was designed to do that but it worked great.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I meet a decent number of people who seem to think the choke is a bad thing and not to use. They're happy to have it idle reeeally low while it warms up so they turn the choke off as soon as possible. Or wait for it to warm up and then turn the choke off before riding. I just wonder where they got those ideas.

That's what puzzles me too, a good chunk of the riding population think chokes are like this optional thing that you only need if the bike isn't in perfect shape. I've had several people try to get me to 'fix' this 'problem', now when I explain how to start a carb bike I always lead with 'just like any bike...' to sort of indirectly send the message that they're the weird one.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My dad had a 1st gen RX7 with a choke knob on the dashboard. Thing worked perfect and even seemed to automatically turn itself off over a few minutes of driving. The knob just kinda vibrated and slowly disengaged, dunno if it was designed to do that but it worked great.

They're absolutely designed to automatically turn themselves off; my RX-4 has a similar choke knob setup (I believe all the '70s/early rotaries did).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

People actually try to tune carbs to not need a choke because they think that’s somehow a good thing. Maybe they just don’t notice how insanely rich it runs? :iiam:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

People actually try to tune carbs to not need a choke because they think that’s somehow a good thing. Maybe they just don’t notice how insanely rich it runs? :iiam:

I have done this once on a gn250 because the owner insisted his mates one ran perfectly without ever using the choke and no amount of facts or reasoning would convince him otherwise, so I cranked up the pilot screw and sent him on his way.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

To be fair, the pilot circuit in a lot of carbs is so restrictive because of EPA regulations that you can rejet a little richer without compromising performance.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've seen a decent number of bikes that didn't need choke to start, actually. Virago 250s often.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Which reminds me, the other day I was following a Yamaha (the one that's a blatant ripoff of the Scrambler) and it was running ridiculously rich, enough so that I could smell it even moving at decent speed through London traffic. Anyone who remembers the height of the 90s "this endcan and jet kit will totally give me 40 extra horsepower" craze/plague will know the smell, halfway between a barbecue and pure unburnt petrol.

It had an aftermarket exhaust on it, albeit not an insanely loud one, but I assume the rider had to have done some actual serious work to get a modern EFI/RBW bike to be quite so off on the fuelling?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Chris Knight posted:

The guy I bought my DRZ from years ago raced, as in fairly high national level supermoto, and he had the petcock set to PRI at all times because he thought it meant "primary"...

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Left the house in a hurry and realized once I got to work that I forgot to bring my shoes. Luckily the pants I'm wearing fit over my A* SMX plus so it's not that bad, and they're pretty comfortable anyway. Casual Friday loving me up because I don't have to plan ahead to have my suit + tie + shoes here.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

MomJeans420 posted:

Left the house in a hurry and realized once I got to work that I forgot to bring my shoes. Luckily the pants I'm wearing fit over my A* SMX plus so it's not that bad, and they're pretty comfortable anyway. Casual Friday loving me up because I don't have to plan ahead to have my suit + tie + shoes here.

I wear these to work :v:

VVV They are supposed to. I will need to ask someone to film me when I try to make them.

pokie fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 30, 2018

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Do the magnesium sliders make sparks?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You know what's super goddamned annoying? When the bike manual specifies all the bolts by the diameter of the thread rather than the diameter of the head.

Like yes I know that technically it is called an 8mm bolt and usually an 8mm bolt has a 12mm nut/head (not always!) but when I read that in the book I'm gonna automatically reach for the 8mm socket and have to check myself and go back and it's just always really loving annoying.

"Torque down the 24mm steering stem nut to 78 ft-lb." What diameter is that nut? Who the gently caress knows, gotta try 'em all, but I sure am glad that I know how big the hidden threads that I would never need to mess with are!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've taken to scribbling head diameters in next to torque values/on part diagrams in the manual to fix that exact problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I solve this by never putting my spanners away properly so I've no idea what size any of them are making even the simplest task into a demonstration of a bogosort.