Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
There was one a saw briefly about how Bill wants to support offshore detention still

It really is happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

You Am I posted:

We are like Americans but without the over the top shithead Christianity. At the moment.

American Christian history is the dynamic between evangelism and inspired social work. In Australia, by contrast, inspired social work is seen as the outcome of evangelism (America got Whitfield, we got Wesley). Australian Christian history follows closer to the English conflict between the individualism of Protestantism and theological hierarchy of the papacy. The English protestant movement (which came out of men being burned at stakes for translating the bible into English) later developed into atheist Enlightenment ideas (I.e. if salvation is not dependent on works than we can keep going and kill off god and replace him with humans). This is also why Australia has such a problem with the idea of Sharia (apart from racism, which is a big part): culturally, we have rejected salvation by works, and human law is different (fallable, so, open for debate and change) to the law of God.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Anidav posted:

All these top stories

They’re trying so hard.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Has NTATA been back to the indigenous community he was sworn to personally support since he got relevance deprivation? That's a question that needs an answer.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-26/indigenous-leader-urges-tony-abbott-address-disadvantage/6725014

Not in three years it would seem. :monocle: What it was all being faked for the cameras? I'm shocked. Shocked I am.

The Peccadillo posted:

I only date ethnic chicks, though
Translated: I only date underage Asian sex workers because of the tiny nature of my penis, inability to attract women in general and lack of sexual technique.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-22/victorians-may-be-missing-power-bill-savings-consumer-group-says/10022816

Wow, its almost like having a competitive marketplace for an essential service only benefits providers and consistently screws the consumer? How could we have predicted this????????

This would be amazing but watch as it never happens since it would prevent these loving parasites from screwing everyone.

quote:

Both consumer groups argued the best way for consumers to get a fair price was for the State Government to introduce a basic service offer, as recommended by last year's review.

A basic service offer would require every retailer to offer a no-frills energy deal at a price set by a government regulator.

The Government is still considering that recommendation.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Wheezle posted:

They’re trying so hard.

They are, but its being replicated across allo news places including SBS and ABC - the reports are Shorten is losing and for the first time in two years the coalition is on the rise. Ignore this at your own peril.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Lid posted:

They are, but its being replicated across allo news places including SBS and ABC - the reports are Shorten is losing and for the first time in two years the coalition is on the rise. Ignore this at your own peril.

But the polls haven't moved at all in like a year

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

norp posted:

But the polls haven't moved at all in like a year

They moved today

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/coalition-narrows-gap-but-labor-keeps-slim-lead-in-fairfax-ipsos-poll-20180722-p4zsyw.html

Coalition's still behind but Shorten's going backwards and Turnbull's going forwards in areas where Labor should dominate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
For some reason I have been blocked by Troy Bramston on Twitter.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The only reasons Shorten is still opposition leader are 1) institutional support from the Labor machine (in particular the right faction) and 2) fear of reigniting Labor Chaos attacks.

I don’t have any insider info but it’s fairly transparent that Albo’s stop the boats statement was intended to make him palatable to the Labor right. Additionally, I’m assuming the calculation is that if Labor loses the byelections, getting rid of a toxic leader will be worth the attack ads.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
It's almost like by running a "everyone hates shorten" line for a couple of weeks everyone starts hating shorten?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I don't really think Bill Shorten is a toxic leader. He has come a long way since he started and has embraced policy in line with Corbyn and Sanders and seems to embrace a lot of what Wayne Swan is currently saying about income inequality.

Heck I would even argue that the Bill Shorten of today would be a more progressive Prime Minister than the Albanese Of Tomorrow. Maybe the media has noticed this too and don't want it?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

He’s a toxic leader because nobody likes him and nobody has ever liked him. He’s the quintessential labor machine candidate, in much the same way Clinton was the quintessential democrat machine candidate. That doesn’t necessarily mean either are bad people or have done something in particular wrong (though they are both bad people with bad politics), that’s just the reality of the situation, and failing to acknowledge and reckon with that because Newscorp has exacerbated the situation is dangerous.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I voted for liberals twice recently despite being a life long labour voter to try to make sure we stop letting people into this country that dont bring something positive, that skilled migration would drop and the unemployment seen in former industrial cities would be helped

I pay my taxes, im not on welfare, proud to be australian

But my girlfriend is from asia.. Marriage Visa costs are now 7000+ with the possibility of being rejected on numbers alone - no chance of a refund if it happens and the noose tightening everyday on the hopes and dreams of those like myself

Meanwhile the very reason I voted for these lot is unchanged.. Never again

Theyve turned a real issue that we all needed to act on as a nation into political fearmongering and fixed nothing

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I voted for liberals twice recently despite being a life long labour voter to try to make sure we stop letting people into this country that dont bring something positive, that skilled migration would drop and the unemployment seen in former industrial cities would be helped

But my girlfriend is from asia.. Marriage Visa costs are now 7000+ with the possibility of being rejected on numbers alone - no chance of a refund if it happens and the noose tightening everyday on the hopes and dreams of those like myself

Theyve turned a real issue that we all needed to act on as a nation into political fearmongering and fixed nothing

:wow:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Maybe they're pushing the Shorten:Albo narrative because it deflects the attention from the trash fire that is their political performance and general humanity (see: Dutton's comments on a murder victim who isn't in even cold. although given his portfolio I'm not sure what more could be expected)

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Doctor Spaceman posted:

For some reason I have been blocked by Troy Bramston on Twitter.

you probably said something mildly critical of Paul Keating.

For reasons unclear to me I am blocked by Phillip Coorey, The Coward.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Birdstrike posted:

I checked and in 2012 I posted about one of his articles which was full of unattributed quotes so I called it gossip

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

Half the time, the reason is you're following someone on twitter that they hate. It's all a bit juvenile and part of being Australian.

Speaking of juveniles and politics:

This awesome cost-cutting piece of paper in my mailbox announces the new Liberal candidate for Bendigo West!

Note the "30 seconds you'll regret if you actually send it" poll. You can just take a pic and text it to him (I'm drawing dicks on mine)!

quote:

THE Liberal Party will announce police officer and former Macedon Ranges Shire councillor Ian Ellis as the party’s candidate for Bendigo East.

The party will confirm Mr Ellis’ candidacy on Friday morning.

He is currently a Leading Senior Constable with Victoria Police working as an instructor based in Melbourne, and has previously served with Macedon Ranges Highway Patrol and the Major Collision Investigation Unit.

Mr Ellis moved back to Bendigo early last year, where in the past he has run a food manufacturing business and cafes. He has lived in Bendigo most of his life.

He will run against sitting Labor MP and public transport minister Jacinta Allan, who holds the seat on a margin of 5 per cent. She has held the seat since 1999.

Last year, the Liberal Party stated it had identified a “law and order” candidate to run in the seat.

Mr Ellis laid a wreath on behalf of Member for Northern Victoria Wendy Lovell at Wednesday’s Anzac Day service in Bendigo, sparking rumours he was the party’s pick for a local seat.

He told the Bendigo Advertiser he would make further comment about his candidacy on Friday morning, but confirmed he was the Liberal Party’s choice for Bendigo East.

Mr Ellis was elected to the Macedon Ranges Shire Council in 2014 following a countback after the resignation of another councillor.

He lost his spot on the council at the 2016 election, when seven councillors lost their seats.

During his time on council, Mr Ellis focused on supporting an ageing community and addressing substance abuse with younger residents.

He also prioritised “keeping costs in check, such as rates and expenditure” and wanted the council to provide “best value for money”.

Bendigo East is considered a crucial seat if the Liberal Party are to form government at the November 24 poll.

The Liberal Party is yet to announce a candidate for Bendigo West (my bold: because they're too busy in-fighting in the branch).

Awesome, he hasn't even quit his job yet! He's probably not a bad bloke but he hasn't been around long enough to make a dent (this is a recurring pattern with the Bendigo Libs), and scare-mongering doesn't work in this town, but hope springs eternal I guess.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

A lot going on here

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

I don't really think Bill Shorten is a toxic leader. He has come a long way since he started and has embraced policy in line with Corbyn and Sanders and seems to embrace a lot of what Wayne Swan is currently saying about income inequality.

Heck I would even argue that the Bill Shorten of today would be a more progressive Prime Minister than the Albanese Of Tomorrow. Maybe the media has noticed this too and don't want it?

Probably. Shorten ran an effective campaign in 2016 in the circumstances, the memory of which is probably what has kept him in the top job. He’s almost an anti-Gillard because being leader has if anything improved his politics.

From my perspective the main issue facing the ALP is that they’re still running the 2016 campaign in 2018. While it improved their vote, getting up on a stage and yelling “MEDICARE” or “INEQUALITY” wasn’t enough to win in 2016 and it isn’t enough now. There needs to be some sort of vision articulated for the future that people who may not necessarily use hospitals or schools or income support can get behind.

Shorten is leader and he obviously shares blame for this, but switching to Albo isn’t really going to fix this from what I’ve seen.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Playing along with the personality contest the Libs obviously want is a sure fire losing game for the ALP. What am I saying, hail Dear Leader Dutton.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah my biggest concern is that News Corpse would be shutting the hell up about this if it wasn't 100% in their puppet party's best interests to knife shorten.

They have an election campaign ready to go, and I assure you that one of the the following is going to be true:

- They have poo poo on Albo, and he doesn't know it (or does, and he's playing along)
- He's agreed to come to the table on Neoliberalism and Nationalism and they're going to Kevin 07 him straight to the top
- They have put all their eggs into the LABAH IN CHAOS AGAIN narrative basket and they believe they can win on it, and he's just a willing idiot
- Long shot: They've been tipped off the Shorty is going to go Full Corbyn as soon as the election is launched and they're scrambling to get him out

I used to really like Albo, he was the Labor infrastructure guy, he used to post great stuff about fixing our cities and improving the standard of living by investing in public transportation and correcting for urban sprawl - but I really haven't seen anything come out of his PR dept that wasn't either attacking the Greens or dumb third way poo poo in ages.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I want Shorten to go full Corbyn now

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anidav posted:

I want Shorten to go full Corbyn now

Shorten is a ride or die right winger

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

“Full Corbyn”, in this case, meaning pushing the LNP into minority government but still holding on to power?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I believe in him. Shorten is real and my friend.

He just needs to collect enough spirit energy to unleash the Class War.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Enough MP to summon Marx.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Enough cards to play Exodia.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bell jar posted:

Shorten is a ride or die right winger

Shorten is ride or die for Shorten.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

There’s already a class war and the bourgeoise wins it every day and if you think Shorten could reverse its fortunes I have several bridges I would like to sell

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Anidav posted:

I believe in him. Shorten is real and my friend.

He just needs to collect enough spirit energy to unleash the Class War.

I genuinely believe we should be allowed to call each other retarded again

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Peccadillo posted:

I genuinely believe we should be allowed to call each other retarded again

It's just very unfair on the mentally disabled comparing them to Andrew Bolt like that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Turnbull is going to win based on being a better statesman lmao

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

JBP posted:

Turnbull is going to win based on being a better statesman lmao

Yeah but if he goes to an election again with this vanilla jobs and growth speech he will get trashed. I do believe Turnbull is smug enough to follow the same script.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Yeah but if he goes to an election again with this vanilla jobs and growth speech he will get trashed. I do believe Turnbull is smug enough to follow the same script.

He's smug enough to run it as "We delivered jobs and growth". Despite wages staying completely stagnant again.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Honestly if things did shift enough for the Libs to actually squeak out a win, I'm not even sure they'll have time between realising this, and the election to develop a campaign, with their very smooth brains and tendency to try to kill and also eat each other.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Don Dongington posted:

Honestly if things did shift enough for the Libs to actually squeak out a win, I'm not even sure they'll have time between realising this, and the election to develop a campaign, with their very smooth brains and tendency to try to kill and also eat each other.

The LNP isn't smooth brained. That's their voters.

The LNP are idiots, racists and culture warriors all on their own.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Ah no you're mistaking the Victorian branch for the Federal party :v: Imagine having a platform so numb and dumb that even Turnbull has to pitch in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Thread was 100% wrong when it painted Albo as a champion of the left instead of just another spineless poll chasing career politician. Thread is 100% wrong when it tries to paint Shorten as anything other than (for better and worse) another, albiet a less smart, Wayne Swan.

• Locked thread