Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
I'm really looking forward to hearing how Mark and John are going to cover that insane story out of Ukraine where they faked a journalist's death "to lure out the Russians".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1001859673069379584?s=19

We're definitely going to hear about it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Hell yes

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Recorded May 29, 2018

Every. Single. Time.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The newest episode is wild.

But after this series on the years of lead I think I know just about as much about them as I did coming in. Very entertaining though.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Brian's arrangements for the show just keep getting better and better. The music between segments is way better than it has to be.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
this really is the best podcast out there, i just wish they'd fuckin do half free/half paid eps or something to get more exposure.

hell their episodes are three hours long, so they could easily split a recorded ep and put the second half behind the paywall. someone mail dolan my brilliant idea

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

They really do need to get on itunes somehow. Uploading hour long snippets is the obvious way to go, and they need to make more episodes free.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Dolan is probably just happy making a steady income for the first time in his post-teaching career.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tangentially related to the War Nerd, but Yasha Levine was featured on Sean's Russia Blog to talk about Surveillance Valley.
https://soundcloud.com/sean-guillory-3/srb127

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
was listening to the bob parry episode again and i just found out he died this year. cancer then went undiagnosed for 5 years somehow? gently caress

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Lol I bet John was pedantically gritting his teeth through Tim Shorrock's clumsy comparison of the Korean peace process to Northern Ireland.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Brian's arrangements for the show just keep getting better and better. The music between segments is way better than it has to be.

I kinda wish they would go back to the old days, when they had music related to/originally from the areas they discuss on the show. I think it was the Bosnia show that had Dubiozka Kolektiv song on it. Another episode I can't remember had some hip hop song in Arabic (I think? they played it over once when they had technical difficulties. ahh, the old days...) that was actually quite good also.

i'm assuming maybe they'd thought they'd run into copyright issues once they got bigger? dunno, but i miss hearing new (good) music from around the world instead of utterly soulless elevator music from the future

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a5BJxrarL0

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
John Dolan saying hentai.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's got to sound better than that squishy mouth noise he makes when he runs his tongue around his gums or whatever he is doing.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I love that Dolan is a fully repentant protonerd.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

He's still a huge nerd, but he is a repentant American nationalist.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I blame Carl Zha for that.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Nothus posted:

I thank Carl Zha for that.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

thank you.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
So first 5 hours of War Nerd drops into my feed and then within the first 15 minutes John is slamming middle-brow NYC subway poetry. :unsmigghh:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Good.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

These last two episodes are really strong.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the kidnapping and murder of Aldo Moro is a completely insane story

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
If you listen closely to the latest Years of Lead episode, John fucks up and calls Annibale by his real first name.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I figured he was Aldo and was not actually killed.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Aldo Moro was born on 23 Sept 1916... I haven't listened to the episode yet, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Annibale isn't 101 years old.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Dreylad posted:

the kidnapping and murder of Aldo Moro is a completely insane story

One of my guilty pleasures is reading about JFK conspiracy theories and the Aldo Moro episode was absolutely fascinating from that angle.

They should really do an episode on DeGaulle and the failed coup / assassination attempt against him. Post war deep state shenanagins in the 60s and 70s deserve more attention!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/TimothyS/status/1013913243440386049

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the democrats!!!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Also note the proliferation of "North Korea secretly continuing nuclear work" stories in the mainstream press that have a single anonymous source.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/1016729931580084224https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/1016729931580084224

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

It's gone. What did it say?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nothus posted:

It's gone. What did it say?

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005
2 weeks? need my fix... I hope john's lips didn't turn blue again :ohdear:

edit: To add some content to this, on Carl Zha's podcast CLASH! on patreon, their interview with Katherine Liddy (wife of one John Dolan) and her experiences in Najran is up for free at the moment. Figured I should put that in there for any other fans of RWN since John's talked about her book and their experiences a lot.

Bastaman Vibration has issued a correction as of 09:06 on Jul 14, 2018

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
How many times am I going to have to listen to the Wars of Lead eps before I have even a tenuous handle of them, I wonder. I listened to them once through and it was really hard for me to track. The accent was part of it, but also just the events being discussed were hard to thread together.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hahaha i was reading old war nerd stuff from the exile and i actually vaguely know one of the neocon dudes he's dunking on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I can't find this on iTunes and when I click the link on the site on my phone it just sends me straight to a big block of text at "raw".github, can someone please link me to it or something