Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Sid Vicious posted:

It's fairly obscure but I very much enjoyed the Sonic the Hedgehog series of games for the lesser known Sega Genesis console of the early nineties

Never heard of either of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I recall a weird old PC game called SubCulture, where you played as a tiny guy with a tiny submarine and you went around harvesting (comparatively huge) pennies and bottle caps and cigarettes for money. You were raising cash because some human tossed a soup can off a boat and it crushed your house. Then you get caught up in a three way faction war.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Does anyone remember playing Hunt For Red October for DOS PCs in the late 80's/early 90's? It was one of the first :filez: games I got my hands on as a kid and while it looked good, it played like rear end. The first level had you winching yourself from a helicopter onto the deck of the Dallas. I think I got past that exactly once. I never got past the next level which was running the Dallas through the submarine canyon.

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 06:13 on Jul 1, 2018

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Wow thanks. That is it. Yeah it was a very strange game. Now I need to look up some footage because I actually remember very little of it.

It’s an easy find if you’re willing to :filez: it, plus hard mode isn’t half bad if you feel like slogging through it. Some occasionally nasty puzzles in with the rest in there.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Wow thanks. That is it. Yeah it was a very strange game. Now I need to look up some footage because I actually remember very little of it.

ProJared did a fun little video on this game. I always get a giggle out of the pterodactyl joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--8AMACnG18

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

I recall a weird old PC game called SubCulture, where you played as a tiny guy with a tiny submarine and you went around harvesting (comparatively huge) pennies and bottle caps and cigarettes for money. You were raising cash because some human tossed a soup can off a boat and it crushed your house. Then you get caught up in a three way faction war.

Oh dang, I remember this one, it was really cool at the time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TotalLossBrain posted:

Does anyone remember playing Hunt For Red October for DOS PCs in the late 80's/early 90's? It was one of the first :filez: games I got my hands on as a kid and while it looked good, it played like rear end. The first level had you winching yourself from a helicopter onto the deck of the Dallas. I think I got past that exactly once. I never got past the next level which was running the Dallas through the submarine canyon.

I had a Hunt For Red October game that was based on the book, and you had to command the RO to the US through the Russian blockade. I found out it was easier to just surface and sail through the English channel than follow the book route around Iceland.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

M_Sinistrari posted:

It did have a equal, Outpost 2 which was pretty lovely from what I remember.

It probably was? but because there was a period of time when it was one of a few games I had access to that I hadn’t already played to death, I spent many MANY hours on it with a buddy of mine.

I never played the original, but the sequel was pretty much a convoluted, sluggish RTS/colony survival hybrid. There were two factions with slightly different tech. I always played as “Plymouth” because they could produce these little robot spiders that could reprogram/steal enemy vehicles if they were hit with an EMP.

gently caress lava, gently caress the blight, gently caress Eden colony.

e: What I miss, probably foolishly, is Solar Winds. Never did beat the fucker OR get to play the sequel. :(

burial has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Jul 17, 2018

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I vaguely remember playing an RTS that wasn't very good called "War Wind" that had a pretty neat premise, with 4 races competing for control of a planet. You had the Eaggra, the slaves/workers, eager to overthrow the yolk of oppression, who were living plant creatures with great stealth and peasant/construction units who were great at tearing an opponent's bases to shreds. There were the Obblinox, bulky three-or-four-footed thick-skinned brutes who were the enforcers of the overlords, who were the first victims of the Eaggra uprising and had the best military technology, though weren't fast at all. There were the Tha'Roon, the overlords with a lot of psionic technology and sadistic powers of some sort. The story painted them as the bad guys, so I played them the least. Finally, there were the Shama'Li, the bizarre mystics who lived off on their own and rarely got involved in politics. They had the best mages.

On one hand, it was a neat Warcraft2 kind of game, with the added bonus that you got to bring a certain number of units with you between missions and upgrade their abilities--even customize their names! It gave a special feeling of investment and ownership. On the other hand, the game had some stupid difficulty spikes and I remember this odd face thing called "The Countenance" in the desert that absolutely wrecked me. Chances are avoiding it was a pretty easy task, but I remember feeling completely defeated by it! :shrug:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

XkyRauh posted:

I vaguely remember playing an RTS that wasn't very good called "War Wind" that had a pretty neat premise, with 4 races competing for control of a planet. You had the Eaggra, the slaves/workers, eager to overthrow the yolk of oppression, who were living plant creatures with great stealth and peasant/construction units who were great at tearing an opponent's bases to shreds. There were the Obblinox, bulky three-or-four-footed thick-skinned brutes who were the enforcers of the overlords, who were the first victims of the Eaggra uprising and had the best military technology, though weren't fast at all. There were the Tha'Roon, the overlords with a lot of psionic technology and sadistic powers of some sort. The story painted them as the bad guys, so I played them the least. Finally, there were the Shama'Li, the bizarre mystics who lived off on their own and rarely got involved in politics. They had the best mages.

On one hand, it was a neat Warcraft2 kind of game, with the added bonus that you got to bring a certain number of units with you between missions and upgrade their abilities--even customize their names! It gave a special feeling of investment and ownership. On the other hand, the game had some stupid difficulty spikes and I remember this odd face thing called "The Countenance" in the desert that absolutely wrecked me. Chances are avoiding it was a pretty easy task, but I remember feeling completely defeated by it! :shrug:

Ah, I always wondered who bought the second copy they sold of this game.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Evidently there was a sequel! :psyduck:

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can finally contribute! Weird RTS chat. There was a circa 2000 RTS called Metal Fatigue that was about these giant mechas battling each other.

The main hooks were the customization of the mechas that could utilize salvaged parts from enemy robots (and even reverse engineered) as well as rank up between missions.

The other hook was that there were essentially 3 maps happening simultaneously between orbital, land and subterranean map layers with only certain units being able to transition between the maps.

I struggle even with the micro of Starcraft so trying to juggle all 3 was an exercise in futility for younger me. Apparently the game just got a rerelease this year because someone acquired the rights? Maybe I should try and fail miserably all over again as an adult.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Oh man, I used to love Metal Fatigue, it was great.

Chopping off a mechs arm and running away with it so your side could learn the complex secrets behind "Sword for hand, only it's an axe instead" was a great mechanic.

And yeah having three layers could get complex fast if you didn't pay attention.
I can't count the number of times I lost a mission because I would send five tanks underground, forget about them, only to remember them when they get blown up by a couple dozen units the computer is sending into my base and I can't do anything because stompy bots hate spelunking.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Metal Fatigue was a fantastic game

You could use the bombers to attack ground on the flying rocks in the sky and the bombs would fall to the ground area and blast the poo poo outta stuff

Man now I want to play it gently caress

Cocomonk3
Oct 21, 2010

XkyRauh posted:

Evidently there was a sequel! :psyduck:

I had both the original and sequel. You could send individual units to get cybernetic implants (or bio implants for some races), there were units you could only get by upgrading all of the slots on a basic unit...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There was, I don't know how to say discribe it, it was kind of like a Paradox game where its strategic but it was real time. It was called Reunion. The idea was you were a colony of humans that had left earth ages ago and had no had any contact with the earth since then. You had to research tech and defend yourself from attacks and eventually find your way back to earth. It had a very interesting tech mechanic where you had to create a need for a tech before you could research it.

It had the longest opening ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk_L8BL0r48

It was hard, like it reminded me of the trial and error of adventure games of the time. I never made it past the first alien attack except once, where I had somehow researched the heavy fighter , but then the second attack they just came in with like cruisers or something and obliterator.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I remember hearing about Reunion from some game mag and really wanting to buy it but it never showed up in the stores I'd go to. I'm kind of glad to be honest because reading on it later once I had internet it didn't seem that great.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I remember hearing about Reunion from some game mag and really wanting to buy it but it never showed up in the stores I'd go to. I'm kind of glad to be honest because reading on it later once I had internet it didn't seem that great.

It was unlike anything else at the time. It was like Master of Orion, combined with Dune 2 but also Wing Commander.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's what drew me to it at the time, but bad things can also be unlike anything else at the time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah, that's what drew me to it at the time, but bad things can also be unlike anything else at the time.

True, and as I said, it was like an Adventure game of the time. There was stuff in it that was on the level of not getting the pie at the start of Kings Quest 5.

Speaking of Adventure games, there was a game called Hand of Fate a few years ago that confused me because to me Hand of Fate was an adventure game where you play a sexy lady alchemist that had to solve puzzles by using inventory/item combos and potions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvYhbjwaLHo

I didn't realize until relatively recently that it was the second Legends of Karandia game. Which is silly because they literally say it takes place there in the intro.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Hand of fate (the kyrandia game) was pretty cool, and my first proper non text parser adventure game. I remember some thing with an rng colour sequence early on in the game that you had to reuse later, rip if you didn't keep the trash you wrote it down on.

The potion making mechanic was cool though.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

talking of making potions in games reminds me of two things:

- the copy of King's Quest III one of my mom's coworkers pirated for me in the early 90s, complete with photocopied manual (which was a must, since to craft spells and potions and etc you had to laboriously and precisely type poo poo in from the spellbook in the manual, which, as a kid with what now feels like a bottomless amount of attention and free time, felt more immersive than like an actual imposition)

(although it was sort of weird that your character ended up spending a good portion of his adventure with cat hair-flecked dough stuffed into his ears)

- the really dumb potion making in Oblivion, which in theory was neat since just about anything could be a potion ingredient, but in practice was hilarious to me because I was, at one point, just stuffing meat and cheese and bread into bottles and having the game identify these glass cheeseburgers as "vitality potions" or whatever it was

I really, really wish I had my childhood attention span back.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

- the really dumb potion making in Oblivion, which in theory was neat since just about anything could be a potion ingredient, but in practice was hilarious to me because I was, at one point, just stuffing meat and cheese and bread into bottles and having the game identify these glass cheeseburgers as "vitality potions" or whatever it was

I always liked the fact that in Morrowind at least, thinks like ebony (obsidian), diamonds and so-forth were alchemy ingredients.
And you could consume any alchemy ingredient raw, which meant you could just snack on some raw diamonds or a big hunk of obsidian. Eat an emerald to increase your agility!

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean there's this classic

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

talking of making potions in games reminds me of two things:

- the copy of King's Quest III one of my mom's coworkers pirated for me in the early 90s, complete with photocopied manual (which was a must, since to craft spells and potions and etc you had to laboriously and precisely type poo poo in from the spellbook in the manual, which, as a kid with what now feels like a bottomless amount of attention and free time, felt more immersive than like an actual imposition)

King's Quest III is the Final Fantasy II of King's Quests.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

verbal enema posted:

Metal Fatigue was a fantastic game

You could use the bombers to attack ground on the flying rocks in the sky and the bombs would fall to the ground area and blast the poo poo outta stuff

Man now I want to play it gently caress

It's on sale on GOG right now.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The only potion I can remember from Kings Quest 3 is the cat hair dough as well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Skyrim you can eat ingredients too figure out their power too. I think there's like a exploit you can do involving darters that by eating them they'll cure disease or something.

Xanth was pretty popular among my social group in high school, becuase it was fantasy, but funny! And kinda sexy! But we did not have the awareness to see how hosed up and creepy it was. Plus the comedy was actually pretty poor. Anyways, they had an adventure game called Companions of Xanth, and well, its what you expect. It was not nearly as good, or clever as the Discworld game, but it was just as obtuse. You know, the early 90s was a hayday of Adventure games based around crazy sci-fi and fantasy writers properties; you have i have no mouth but i must scream, Crosstime Saloon and so on.

Before I had a PC I had an Apple IIGS which was apparently a fantastic system and well regarded system among Retro PC gamers, but I was limited by what I could get from the one other kid I found in school that had one. There was Thexder, a game that would make Demon Souls look easy and fair, Silpheed which was actually fair and challanging not to mention an awesome space shooter. But there was the one Sierra adventure game i had, Manhunter. I've seen pretty much every other Sierra game talked about online but rarely Manhunter. A game set in a post Alien Invasion New York where you play a Manhunter, a kind of quisling detective. The Puzzles are brutal and confusing, death is literally everywhere, even more than other Sierra games.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Manhunter didn't really sell very well I think. They should've called it Man Quest, obviously. Although it was successful enough that they made a sequel which was also bad.

E: I personally liked the graphics because they weren't constrained by the 3rd person view but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like them now.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 03:14 on Jul 24, 2018

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I was talking about Republic: The Revolution in another thread and it seems like this is the proper place for it.

I was so hype for this game back in 2003. It was advertised as a game where you started your grassroots political party and overthrow the government. Basically what we’d all like to do right now. The previews made it seem much more complex than it actually ended up being. The finished product was essentially a board game, a little card game, and a really nice graphics engine that actually still looks modern... that serves almost no purpose in the game. If you’ve played Evil Genius, you’ve experienced this engine as it’s the same studio.

It was on GOG for a time but it’s gone now.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
A couple of games that I still bring out for a bash once in a blue moon -

REALMZ - Pc, mac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_nyl46nqXw

For a time my dad was Mac based and so gaming options were well and truly limited (although he was very happy when we found A-10 attack at the expensive mac store) however on some kind of demo/shareware cd I came across the Realmz RPG game by Fantasoft. At the time it was mind blowing - so many races, classes, weapons, spells, everything. A party of warrior vampires? No worries. Half orcs and elves hanging out? Not a problem. Decent enough areas to explore (until you had to enter the rego code). Sure the graphics were basic but for an rpg fan, this game was the poo poo. A pc version ended up being built which was...buggy. And it hasn't seen an update in forever. It still works on my computer today but it's not without it's little hiccups.

(I was very excited to try New Centurions too but they never made a PC demo for it sadly)

FRONT MISSION 3 - psx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqG2z8Cy-ac

I found this (and ended up buying it in a second hand sale) in a little video rental place in a small town I used to work in and that's the only place I've ever seen a copy. Build and customise your wanzers, survive through turn based battles, escape from those attempting to hunt you down. Get good with a giant shotgun or clumsily fire missiles from a distance and hope you hit something. I have never finished it (there was a split story line creating two paths early on in the game) but I like to bring it out via emulation on occasion.
I have tried Front Mission Evolved on the 360...but it's not turn based so...meh.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

skooma512 posted:

I was talking about Republic: The Revolution in another thread and it seems like this is the proper place for it.

I was so hype for this game back in 2003. It was advertised as a game where you started your grassroots political party and overthrow the government. Basically what we’d all like to do right now. The previews made it seem much more complex than it actually ended up being. The finished product was essentially a board game, a little card game, and a really nice graphics engine that actually still looks modern... that serves almost no purpose in the game. If you’ve played Evil Genius, you’ve experienced this engine as it’s the same studio.

It was on GOG for a time but it’s gone now.

I remember Pelit* featuring it like ten times with hell of hype but at some point I don't think anyone thought it would ever come out. Then it was released and Pelit gave it a 70 which from the review itself seemed rather generous. Didn't buy it because I might as well just fire up Dictator

*) The biggest computer game periodical by circulation in the Nordic countries.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

twistedmentat posted:

Xanth was pretty popular among my social group in high school, becuase it was fantasy, but funny! And kinda sexy! But we did not have the awareness to see how hosed up and creepy it was. Plus the comedy was actually pretty poor. Anyways, they had an adventure game called Companions of Xanth, and well, its what you expect. It was not nearly as good, or clever as the Discworld game, but it was just as obtuse.

I still own the CD-ROM of this, despite having wised up to just how skeevy the author is like two decades ago. :smith:

The worst part (in an adventure game sense) was that it followed the plot of the tie-in book just closely enough that you were expected to read it to know who the gently caress characters were, but diverged massively enough that you couldn't use it to figure out what the hell you were supposed to do.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The version we had actually came with the book. But yea, Piers Anthony is a super creeper and I'm 100% sure he is eine sex monster on a John K level, but no one cares about a weird old fantasy/sci-fi writer.

I regreat how much time I spent reading his poo poo. It was a weird product synergy between the game and the book.

Speaking of weird Sci-fi, it was impressive how many Dune games were release

There was Dune, which was mostly an adventure game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4QaHSwtwKI

It was cool because you had to go around and win the loyalty of the Fremen, then give them weapons, starting the Crysknifes, then Lasguns, finally Weirding Moduals. But the secret was to use them to terraform Arrakis to increase their moral so they'd gently caress up the Harkonnens seriously. Its interesting that some characters in the game look exactly like their movie counterparts, but some look completely different. Gurney doesn't look at all like P-Stew, more like Londo from Babylon 5.

Then there was Dune II, which most people know, as it was the first in the long line of RTS games that were so popular in the late 90s to the early 2000s. Yes I know there were RTS games before this, but the linage that gave us Command and Conquer and Starcraft starts with Dune 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tC32ZIYXlE

It was remade as Dune 2000. It played the same, but with updated graphics and Westwoods Live Action Cutscenes, but they were never as fun and hoaky as the C&C or RA ones. It did have John Ryse Davis though.

Then there was Emperor Battle For Dune, which was a direct sequel to Dune 2000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thMgpNlhwGk

Most complex storywise, and rendered 3d graphics like C&C Generals. It had subfactions that you could ally with depending on your choices, and the sides were all unique. It also has Michael Dorn as the Atredies Duke. My biggest problem was that they had too many missions that stuck you on a world with no spice so therefor no income so you're forced to rely on infrequent influxes of cash. Because the AI doesn't have to worry about this, it makes those missions insanely hard.

Its interesting that all these games take from Lynch's film more than the book, but they didn't ignore it. Ordos are never mentioned in the Dune novels, but they are mentioned in the Dune Encylopedia. Its too bad none of these are availabe on GOG.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Populous was one of those totally loving rad-looking games I'd always see in Blockbuster; even if the game was garbage, that cover alone would have made it worth the price of a rental. Same goes for this mamma-jamma:

Best cover of all time.

Phalanx is a hidden game unlocked by pressing a bunch of buttons in sequence when you first load up the developer's followup, one of my favoritest obscure games.

Zero Divide is an average at best 3d polygonal fighting game featuring mechanical robot combatants. The mechanics are somewhat similar to Virtua Fighter with a button for punch, kick and block. What makes it really unique however is that individual limbs (and heads) can be destroyed.

I rented it so many times I eventually bought it just because I loved how insane the game was. I distinctly remember GameFan slobbering all over it because it was a Japanese game so of course they loved it but also because of how weird the characters and levels were. There is your usual kung fu robots but also a combat soldier with a gun you could fire, a giant multilegged arachnid esque thing with a long tail you could swipe at enemies with, and even a loving fire-breathing dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17rwgeDxZOA

*edit* oh god watching that video I forgot all about that horrible announcer. I always turned that off because its neverending.

Basticle has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Jul 25, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You should really check out Tech Romancer on the Dreamcast. Even the announcer is amazing in that game :allears:.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should really check out Tech Romancer on the Dreamcast. Even the announcer is amazing in that game :allears:.

ARMOR DESTROOOOYED

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Dead ball zone was a banging handball simulator on the PlayStation. It was focused around full contact/killing your opponents and more points for goals scored from farther away. It was a good time, but you pretty much had to tape the sprint button down because there was never a time when not sprinting was a good idea

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RBA Starblade posted:

ARMOR DESTROOOOYED

Even heard it in the guy's voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q7HpVfS13U&t=87s
(Fair warning for anyone with epilepsy, the in-game effects are a wee bit flashy in that special way only 90's Japanese games can achieve).

TEEEECH ROOMANCER!

MECHANICAL SELECT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
The visual style of that game reminded me of the fighting game I had for the n64, Dual Heroes, which now I know looks much much worse.
I played the poo poo out of it though, but watching this video really makes it obvious how terrible the game is. Just listen to that 'music':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx2WPcR7lv0

We used to call the green guy in the video 'celery man'.