Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FoolyCharged posted:

Did you miss the part where I did that and learned that the stun rod was a useless piece of junk. So yeah, telling the player to figure out opaque unmarked mechanics is a crock of poo poo. Theres a reason people stopped doing that garbage.

You were too dumb to learn a really obvious thing I discovered immediately as a dumb twelve year old who literally couidn't speak english, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

steinrokkan posted:

How dumb do you have to be not to understand how a tranq dart works.

Jesus loving Christ

Try stabbing yourself with a needle and see how calm it makes you

They worked just fine in HR and MD, its in this game that they're retarded

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

frajaq posted:

They worked just fine in HR and MD, its in this game that they're retarded

have you considered it's not the darts that's retarded

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah it's you, fuckface. Deus Ex 1 is really not that good.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's not that good for none of the reasons these people are talking about. "Oh no, I have to aim and time my shots, that's bullshit"

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

steinrokkan posted:

you're the one that keeps defending bad gameplay mechanics so...

Oh yeah also I managed a pacifist run to reach the terrorist leader but the remaining UNATCO soldiers kill everyone anyway, good poo poo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

frajaq posted:

you're the one that keeps defending bad gameplay mechanics so...

Oh yeah also I managed a pacifist run to reach the terrorist leader but the remaining UNATCO soldiers kill everyone anyway, good poo poo

They aren't bad just because you can't figure them out.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I have another unpopular videogame opinion

American Mcgees Alice games were good, even the one with no boss fights.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I didn't play Deus Ex 1 until Human Revolution came out, and I bought a bundle with all the Deus Ex games available at that time. I can't remember if I played it before or after HR, but in any case I thought the game was fine and don't get why people are getting so het up about it. Invisible War was glitchy as gently caress though and I don't think I got more than a few minutes into it before giving up. Haven't tried it again in years, though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
none of the deus exes are particularly good

there I said it

it is like a weight has lifted from my heart

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So I have another unpopular videogame opinion

American Mcgees Alice games were good, even the one with no boss fights.

That being said, I'm glad the era of "superstar game designers who gently caress, like, all the time you guys" is largely over.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oh, here's another great thing deus ex does. "Here you can have one of three weapons: Two that easily found on this stage and a GEP gun. What is a gep gun? Oh no biggie, just a hugely valuable rocket launcher you won't have access to for a while if you dont pick it."

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

FoolyCharged posted:

Oh, here's another great thing deus ex does. "Here you can have one of three weapons: Two that easily found on this stage and a GEP gun. What is a gep gun? Oh no biggie, just a hugely valuable rocket launcher you won't have access to for a while if you dont pick it."

lol you picked the crossbow

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

to be fair there's always inventory space to consider, I'm a pack rat when it comes to looting so the GEP gun was a big no no to me

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FoolyCharged posted:

lol you were too dumb to pick the right gun

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

This is the swimming skill, its unused in all but a handful of locations making it normally a waste of points, but if you don't invest in it you'll be hosed in those areas.

e: on that note, 99% of games with a persuade stat/skill are dumb because you're obligated to take it if you want to see half the content. It doesn't feel like I'm making a charismatic D&D character who can talk people's ears off, it feels like wasting those points for a plot coupon.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 21, 2018

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

That being said, I'm glad the era of "superstar game designers who gently caress, like, all the time you guys" is largely over.

Related: the game title is pronounced “do sex”

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Dross posted:

Related: the game title is pronounced “do sex”

It's true, which you'd know from every time Eidos tells the world they're about to drop a Deus

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

FoolyCharged posted:

So yeah, telling the player to figure out opaque unmarked mechanics is a crock of poo poo. Theres a reason people stopped doing that garbage.

It's funny though that the Soulsborne series brought it back in spades and was one of the most successful series of games. I think it's why it's such a marmite series.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Rockstar game developers are exactly what we need more of. Just like star wars was better when it was purely George Lucas's syphilitic vision, ego driven jackasses with very particular desires make better games than the grey smear of corporate pigshit we get now.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

really though on early playthroughs it's true that the fighting is not what's awesome about Deus Ex; for me it just raised the bar on immersion, AI (or at least several layers of interesting scripted reactions), and level design. playing it at the time it felt like not just my choices but my actions themselves mattered because a lot of the systems just felt real or genuine or something, so I can see how with age it's just not as amazing... also I never played System Shock 2 so maybe I missed that boat that people got similar experiences from

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

DebonaireD posted:

Rockstar game developers are exactly what we need more of. Just like star wars was better when it was purely George Lucas's syphilitic vision, ego driven jackasses with very particular desires make better games than the grey smear of corporate pigshit we get now.

I kind of get where you're coming from, but look up Eternity's Child in lessons of simple games that can be hosed up. The dude who made it had some kind of name back then and well..

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Steinrokkan dropping some uncomfortable truth bombs on the last two pages.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

FoolyCharged posted:

This is the swimming skill, its unused in all but a handful of locations making it normally a waste of points, but if you don't invest in it you'll be hosed in those areas.

e: on that note, 99% of games with a persuade stat/skill are dumb because you're obligated to take it if you want to see half the content. It doesn't feel like I'm making a charismatic D&D character who can talk people's ears off, it feels like wasting those points for a plot coupon.

lol you maxed out swimming

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

jimmyjams posted:

lol you maxed out swimming

who doesn't like to get wet once in a while

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bioshock isn't just a bad game, it's straight up one of the worst games ever made.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

DOOM 2016 is nothing special.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

Bioshock isn't just a bad game, it's straight up one of the worst games ever made.

It's a perfectly okay shooter for its time and any assessment beyond "it's mediocre" is pure hyperbole tbh

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

basic hitler posted:

It's a perfectly okay shooter for its time and any assessment beyond "it's mediocre" is pure hyperbole tbh

A mediocre shooter is like Far Cry: limited but playable and fun enough. Bioshock's a willingly deceptive game that creates artificial tension by making you feel like you're in danger when you're not, besides all of the other criticism everyone already knows about like the terrible gunplay and boringness and the inherently uninteresting concept of a satire of liberterianism.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

artificial tension by making you feel like you're in danger when you're not,

I'd prefer that to having a game that uses like half the voice lines in the game to tell the player about how dangerous their situation is even though the game is ridiculously easy and there's no timer or anything

That's Bulletstorm

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Actually a teardown of the randian john galt archetype in a video game, dominated by dorks who think they are literally john galt, part of the silicon valley ecosystem on the west coast that lives and dies of the egomania of terrible lovely assholes who all wish they could be Andrew Ryan, was kind of a ballsy thing for a AAA game to do, which is all the more obvious when the rushed cash-in sequel made by a different team, written by a different guy had something as deep as "actually communism is bad too" as a retort.

bioshock infinite is legitimately awful though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The problem with deus ex is they released the same game two times in a row.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

The problem with deus ex is they released the same game two times in a row.

The problem with Deus Ex is that the controls are awful in every single one of them

Just kidding there are tons of problems

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
First deus ex you run around and murder people with a dragon cyber sword. Latest deus ex games you are trying to be metal gear solid or crysis on maps too small.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

a new study bible! posted:

DOOM 2016 is nothing special.

I played the game for five hours during the free Steam weekend and didn't get the love.

Pretty mediocre to me. And I love the old school FPSes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

basic hitler posted:

bioshock infinite is legitimately awful though.

but have you considered that perhaps the slaves are more evil than the slavers

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

but have you considered that perhaps the slaves are more evil than the slavers

I seriously wonder if the totally idiotic portrayal of the vox populi was a result of producer meddling. Like ken levine probably pissed people off by mocking his bosses and other egomaniac execs with andrew ryan, and any point he wanted to make was likely hobbled from the outset.

Levine is kind of a moron but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who throws around "actually the anti-slavery, pro labor revolutionary movement is just as bad as the racist right wing industrialist" horseshit on purpose.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is liking Bioshock 1 now an unpopular opinion?

And I have to agree that Bioshock Infinite was a huge example of wasted potential. I'd say it had the best controls and gameplay of a Bioshock game, but the worst story. Especially the loving ending. I have rarely felt insulted by an ending, but that game managed it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The vox pop was blatantly about racism as original sin, though it wasn't done well. And the ending owned, getting drowned by multiple Elizabeths to a cappella gospel was excellently fetishistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I see a lot of vitriol for Human Revolution, and at the time peeps ragged on the bossfights a lot, but what really got me was how stupid the map layout was. It made out like you were in a city, implying open world / free roaming, but actually secretly it was a doom / wolfenstein style maze of a map. It felt so insanely stupid to be, that in this game where you can supposedly make any decision, you had less geographical freedom than Bioshock, who's whole shtick is it's rail roading you.