Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Bodanarko posted:

Tangentially related to this video topic, what steps/process does everyone use when scoping out and determining whether or not to buy a game?

Mine is something like this:

Learn of the game
Read recent threads and text reviews on BGG
Look through/ask in this thread for opinions
Watch rahdo's runthrough if he has one
Watch any other YT reviews if i can tolerate them
play it locally if possible (rare)
Buy/Not buy it

I read the BGG reviews, read the manual on the website and then decide from there.
Theme is really important to me though so a big part is having a look over the components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Kerro posted:

We just take our fleshling with us and put her to sleep in a spare room. I guess that'll get trickier as she gets older, but small kids seem pretty compatible with board gaming.

Screw those people that don't ever want to split the group and force everyone to only ever play party games.

Most of the kids are old enough to kinda entertain themselves by staying in the playrooms or watching TV, although some of the younger ones make things harder. My buddy's toddler basically never made a peep. He'd set the little dude down and he'd just wander in circles and occasionally bring his dad a snack to open or ask for water.

Anyway we did finally split into smaller groups. One group played Survive and the rest of us played Jamaica. It was the first time I'd played Jamaica and while I didn't really do very well cuz I struggled for food early on, I still ended up scoring second place cuz I had 15 dubloons

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

The way I usually pick my games is see if people are taking favourably about it on here.

That's about it.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

What are people’s thoughts on Above&Below and/or Near&Far? Jamey Stegmaier was talking about them on one of his Sunday Sitdown videos, but that’s the extent I’ve heard of them.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

What are people’s thoughts on Above&Below and/or Near&Far? Jamey Stegmaier was talking about them on one of his Sunday Sitdown videos, but that’s the extent I’ve heard of them.

Neat ideas but bland in execution is how I think would describe all of Red Raven's games that I've played.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Neat ideas but bland in execution is how I think would describe all of Red Raven's games that I've played.

I sold "The Others: Seven Sins" recently for basically the same reason here. Really nice idea but the actual playing of the game was really tedious and we never touched it after the first time.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Our monthly game night basically goes like this, now that we have an infant and toddler:

1) We all eat dinner together,
2) Wife and I bathe the kids and put them to bed while our friends play our board games,
3) We come downstairs and chat for a few minutes or play a quick filler game, before bidding our friends farewell.

But we'll probably be able to take turns once the infant is a little older.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I should hate the game, but honestly I kinda like Caverna, it's so chill.

I wish there was setup randomness in it, but it feels like the perfect no-stress sunday afternoon chill game to me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Caverna should really have the same variable setup as Agricola All Creatures Big and Small (with the expansions). X amount of building tiles per player chosen from the stock each game. Really works well. Would reduce AP of having to read and think about all available ones too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just played Azul for the first and only time. I have never bounced off a game so hard.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

Just played Azul for the first and only time. I have never bounced off a game so hard.

Sounds like someone ate a poo poo sandwich of a ton of tiles without the slots to hold them.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My three year old loves Animal Upon Animal, which is just a meeple stacking game. They're extra big, so they're easy to grasp and stack. I give her some mulligans when she accidentally nudges one off the top, but other than that she can beat me sometimes.

She can also play half a game of Indigo before losing interest, which is just placing hexes down to slide gems along the paths. She doesn't grasp any strategy yet, but she can figure out the paths on her own.

Then there's things like Don't Spill The Beans, Don't Break The Ice, Cootie and other simple games that are fun for like 5 minutes at a time. I showed her Operation, but the buzzer made her nervous. I'll open up random games that she picks off the shelf, just to play with the components and count pieces and things, so while she's not exactly playing the full game of Chicago Express, she can at least put trains in rows and count them. So that's like halfway there.

I also have a one year old, so my game nights are pretty limited. I figure I'll play the long game and have an in-house boardgaming group in a few years.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Ravendas posted:

My three year old loves Animal Upon Animal, which is just a meeple stacking game. They're extra big, so they're easy to grasp and stack. I give her some mulligans when she accidentally nudges one off the top, but other than that she can beat me sometimes.

She can also play half a game of Indigo before losing interest, which is just placing hexes down to slide gems along the paths. She doesn't grasp any strategy yet, but she can figure out the paths on her own.

Then there's things like Don't Spill The Beans, Don't Break The Ice, Cootie and other simple games that are fun for like 5 minutes at a time. I showed her Operation, but the buzzer made her nervous. I'll open up random games that she picks off the shelf, just to play with the components and count pieces and things, so while she's not exactly playing the full game of Chicago Express, she can at least put trains in rows and count them. So that's like halfway there.

I also have a one year old, so my game nights are pretty limited. I figure I'll play the long game and have an in-house boardgaming group in a few years.

You need to do some science about your 3 y/o's strategy for auctions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

al-azad posted:

Sounds like someone ate a poo poo sandwich of a ton of tiles without the slots to hold them.

No, I didn't eat any minuses at all, although I was probably playing badly in trying too hard to avoid them. I just wasn't finding the process engaging in any way. I actually made my apologies and left the table midgame, which I never do normally.

That's why I said I bounced off it hard, rather than that it was a bad game. If it was a bad game I could dissect what I didn't like about it, but it's not bad in that sense. I wouldn't feel outraged if it won SdJ. But it's not for me.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

hey now that it's been out for a while, how does the expanse board game hold up? i loving love the show and the mechanics look really neat but i heard some people grumbling about balance issues

Who ever described it as a COIN-lite I think is on the right track, to be fair I've only played about two games of Falling Sky. I played a two player game of The Expanse and want to go back for seconds to try it with more players. With two players it seemed MCRN was over powering me as the UN in the beginning, they were constantly ahead of me and taking the score cards to hastened the endgame. By the end with the tech cards and planning action/event cards, out I eked out a win in the single digits. The production value is alright for the price I paid($32), though I wish there were plastic models for all the ships, at least I can trick it out with some kind of tokens for influence instead of cubes.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Ryan Laukat is an incredible artist and terrible game designer. I would rather he just illustrate other people’s designs.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Does anyone know if the Falling Sky second printing will have any changes in it? Gmt is usually good about mentioning that but nothing this time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Ryan Laukat is an incredible artist and terrible game designer. I would rather he just illustrate other people’s designs.

Agreed. He follows the Ignacy method of being all about "games that tell stories" but the stories are half-baked and the games aren't good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Agreed. He follows the Ignacy method of being all about "games that tell stories" but the stories are half-baked and the games aren't good.

The Ancient World isn't bad. His storytelling games you can keep, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Expanse is more or less a reskin of El Grande. There are a few improvements over the formula, like giving the weakest player a catch up card (area majority games being very difficult to catch up in) but there are some issues wrt the map. El Grande let’s you protect areas with the king but The Expanse can result in fruitless back and forth exchanges th don’t go anywhere.

Overall it’s a good game but there’s always the nagging feeling tha\t you’d rather just play El Grande. Then again I think really, really highly of El Grande.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Does anyone know if the Falling Sky second printing will have any changes in it? Gmt is usually good about mentioning that but nothing this time.

I read that it will include improved bots and rules errata, but no changes. There won't be any 1st -> 2nd update kit, since it would cost nearly as much as the Ariovistus expansion which already includes the new bots.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Jedit posted:

I don't get the love for it either. It's fine, but the response to it has been a bit mysterious. Whatever, people have different tastes.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I didn't know where to ask about this, but I figured here is best. I found the poker chip variant for Resistance online. I'm living in Ukraine and the chips would be a good way to play, but I'll also have to create the game boards and I don't think I could play it with my friends here without a good theme.

Would substituting the quests/missions in the originals to something like "We need to pass 3 laws to win. The spies have to fail 2 to win" ? Something simple and easy to understand because we'd probably be speaking in Ukrainian and English.

There was a decent WW2 re-skin I saw but the Ukrainians were part of the Axis and I don't want to cause a political meltdown at a possible game night.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Tekopo posted:

I should hate the game, but honestly I kinda like Caverna, it's so chill.

I wish there was setup randomness in it, but it feels like the perfect no-stress sunday afternoon chill game to me.

Fields of Arle does everything Caverna does but better (Except 4-7 players). It even has randomized setups and a terrific expansion.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Durendal posted:

Fields of Arle does everything Caverna does but better (Except 4-7 players). It even has randomized setups and a terrific expansion.
Does Fields of Arle have dwarves?! :colbert:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Ravendas posted:

My buddy has a daughter that's 3, maybe 4? He picked up a dinosaur game at Gen Con last year for that age range that's basically about moving dinosaurs from one island to another before a volcano explodes.

If I remember right, it was called Dinosaur Escape and it incorporates some basic planning and memory recall. You gotta move the dinos around an island and if you land in certain spaces, you get to flip a token. If it's a dinosaur, you move it to the safe island. If its rocks or plants, you flip it back over and leave it in the same spot. If you roll a volcano on the die, you put part of the volcano down.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Azul has won Spiel des Jahres. I'd tell you what won Kinderspiel and Kennerspiel, but it would require giving the Dice Tower hits. Should be a better link somewhere.

E: found one. Die Quacksalber von Quedlinburg got Kennerspiel, Funkelschatz (aka Dragon's Breath) got Kinderspiel.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 23, 2018

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

nonathlon posted:

I don't get the love for it either. It's fine, but the response to it has been a bit mysterious. Whatever, people have different tastes.

I think it's to do with it being an abstract. I don't really like playing it that much, but can definitely appreciate that it's a great game. With something like (my current favourite) Spirit Island, you can get into a situation where you're like 'Oh, can I repeat this repeat action and get a loop going?' and you have to check the rules, and 'no, the rules say you cant'. Things can be ambiguous, balance can be obscure. So it actually takes quite a lot of games before you've seen all the rules and all the interactions and KNOW how it all plays and what the balance looks like. But with abstracts, once you understand the rules, you also know all the rules, and have a very clear sense of balance. So, you learn Azul and it's like, "Oh, I get how the entirety of this game works, and its clever and I can see how its balanced and where the nuances are, if I played it a bunch I'd get better at X Y and Z aspects" etc. I think that helps people be able to say "I love this". I've seen a few times in this thread games like AFfO where it's all the rage (COtN?) for a bit, but after a while falls out of favour. I think the thing with abstracts is that because you grok it all so immediately, there's no real threat of that, so people can be much more confident to say 'this is a great game' rather than 'I like playing this game'.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

nonathlon posted:

It's a fast playing multiplayer abstract strategy with far greater player interaction than something like Sagrada, the closest contemporary. Having great components and appealing design is a plus.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

!Klams posted:

I've seen a few times in this thread games like AFfO where it's all the rage (COtN?) for a bit, but after a while falls out of favour.

AFFO fell out of favor?!

A better comparison might be Splendor, which remains far more popular throughout the boardgaming world than in this thread. I could see Azul falling to that level of "just OK" around here (although it mostly avoids Splendor's luck of the draw flaw). Both are very simple to learn and teach, play quickly, and require you to watch your opponents and block them as much as you concentrate on building your own board.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Jedit posted:

Azul has won Spiel des Jahres. I'd tell you what won Kinderspiel and Kennerspiel, but it would require giving the Dice Tower hits. Should be a better link somewhere.

E: found one. Die Quacksalber von Quedlinburg got Kennerspiel, Funkelschatz (aka Dragon's Breath) got Kinderspiel.
Pandemic Legacy season 2 got a Sonderpreis for innovation too.

All in all it's cool, even though the choices were predictable this year. Congratulations to the winners. I think some of posters here would dig Quacks of Quedlinburg when it comes to the US.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

CaptainRightful posted:

AFFO fell out of favor?!

Yeah, for a while back I was unemployed and would look at games I wanted as something to look forward to when I got employed. AFfO was one of the ones at the top (mostly because it was one of the most opulent, lol) so I would follow what peeps in here were saying about it quite intently, but since becoming employed now I can afford it, the general barometer-read of this thread has actually steered me away from getting into it. I mean, obviously, I know I can play it first at my FLGS, and that's a better way to judge the game, but I don't really want to anymore.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I still love Feast and look forward to the expansion. It hits the sweet spot if Uwe style worker placement for me even if I acknowledge that Agricola is the better game.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
AFfO is a really good straight worker placement game, full stop. I don't get it out to the table as much as I used to, but it's a great game I'm happy I own

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Feast is still very comfortably a top ten game for me. Probably only Gaia Project beats it as far as euros, and I'd have a hard time picking between Feast, Food Chain Magnate or Antiquity as my next favourite euro.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Just because we're not constantly talking about it doesn't mean we don't still like it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Yeah, I really like Feast even if I don't always win any more. It hits the sweet spot for pressure between Agricola's "gently caress up once and I rape your hamster" and Caverna's "do whatever, you'll score points anyway". The Norwegians is a 9am Thursday buy for me.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah I don't think the thread has soured on it, just aren't talking about it as much, because the only games that are consistently talked about are...gloomhaven. Even with its own thead.

In other news, we went to the dollar store so my 3.5yo could spend some of his dollars and he picked out a bag of marbles with a shooter.

Turns out marbles is an insanely good kids game, because there's no tricky rules, you just shoot (in whatever manner you're capable of) outside the string, and if any marbles get knocked out, you get them. Crokinole is next, presumably, but seriously, marbles.

Also I'm dogshit at it so he can actually beat me without me trying to let him win in any way.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Who has been talking smack about Feast for Odin? I thought we were better than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dominant species and container are the hot new titles we’ve (mostly me) been chatting about constantly in the discord.

On a related note from BGG: “I wonder how many people bought Container Jumbo for the ‘big ships’ and how many bought it just because it was the only version of the game they could get their hands on? I’m in the latter group, ftr. " :thunk:

All the serious gamers I know who’ve been looking forward to the reprint have been talking about SEVEN INCH SHIPS

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 23, 2018