Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Octavia really is a terrible leader. :emo: The fighting pits must have been hella effective to keep everyone in line for 6 years.

All hail Emperor Monty, cultivator of plants!

Vinson was even more of a crazyman than I had imagined. :drac:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Octavia really is a terrible leader. :emo: The fighting pits must have been hella effective to keep everyone in line for 6 years.

All hail Emperor Monty, cultivator of plants!

Remember Steve Buscemi in Con Air? Like a shark swimming around a reef. All the fish are cool, so long as he's not hungry.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I haven't seen the latest episode yet, but now i can't wait to see what happens.
All I know is, Vincent is a murderer among a bunch of other murderers and they all give him a wide berth. Tells you everything you need to know about the dude, really.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'm a little annoyed they pulled the punch on the pit fight. It's been too long since a main character bit it on the show (Jaha barely counts), on a show that did pretty well killing them off each season. Then I thought they might have pulled the fake out with the pit to OD Abbie but I'm guessing she's just comatose. At least the status quo of main characters making absurdly poor decisions is still on track!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Mortanis posted:

I'm a little annoyed they pulled the punch on the pit fight. It's been too long since a main character bit it on the show (Jaha barely counts), on a show that did pretty well killing them off each season. Then I thought they might have pulled the fake out with the pit to OD Abbie but I'm guessing she's just comatose. At least the status quo of main characters making absurdly poor decisions is still on track!

Don't speak ill of Saint Jaha you heathen

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That page of Diyoza's notebook McCreary saw had her speech threatening to drop the Hythixplodium on cities if they did not get pardons with designs and launch codes. I think we've got the lever Wanheda will pull in the finale, possibly destroying the entire planet.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wanheda, Destroyer of Worlds

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Octavia really is a terrible leader. :emo:

even in the throws of 'join the matrix' street preacher mania, jaha still knew how to run a functional society.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
On one hand it kinda makes sense - she lived in a floor and the only education she had was whatever her brother or mother could sneak her - and most of that sounded like fairy tale books. I always liked Octavia's path in the show, but now it feels like they did a swerve because the natural progression for her was always to a leadership role and then having her botch it feels like a weakened payoff. I'm guessing that means we'll get a redemption at some point.

I really didn't think I'd wind up liking Diyoza so much. First episode or two didn't really seal it for me with a whole outsider villain thing but I've come to really like this arc. I just wish they weren't splitting the cast quite as much.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mortanis posted:

On one hand it kinda makes sense - she lived in a floor and the only education she had was whatever her brother or mother could sneak her - and most of that sounded like fairy tale books. I always liked Octavia's path in the show, but now it feels like they did a swerve because the natural progression for her was always to a leadership role and then having her botch it feels like a weakened payoff. I'm guessing that means we'll get a redemption at some point.

Octavia is so so incredibly dead.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The drug addiction sub plot is so boring

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mu Zeta posted:

The drug addiction sub plot is so boring

Yeah, this is the only subplot I'm not really digging. It's not even the content of it--Abby turning to drugs after zapping ALIE out of her brain and thinking her daughter died in an apocalyptic wall of fire is a pretty cool idea!--just the execution. They're not doing anything interesting with it, and the only upside is Abby scenes give us more time with Diyoza, and I like Vinson a lot.

I still think Abby should have died when ALIE made her hang herself in that tower. It would have been such a loving gutpunch, but I think the showrunners might have lucked out since people were already so salted about so many main characters dying that year that they went and cut the scene where Jasper was supposed to eat a bullet lmao.

I like Octavia as a villain and would be pretty satisfied whether they kill or redeem her, tbh. The trajectory she's been on makes sense, and I like that she's definitely not as strong as say Jaha or Kane when it comes to sacrificing her own people for the good of everyone and that + whatever happened during the dark year has broken her.

This season has been super good so far, though it feels p lowkey?? kind of, I don't know how to describe it. But I like it. It's a good vibe.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

Yeah, this is the only subplot I'm not really digging. It's not even the content of it--Abby turning to drugs after zapping ALIE out of her brain and thinking her daughter died in an apocalyptic wall of fire is a pretty cool idea!--just the execution. They're not doing anything interesting with it, and the only upside is Abby scenes give us more time with Diyoza, and I like Vinson a lot.

I still think Abby should have died when ALIE made her hang herself in that tower. It would have been such a loving gutpunch, but I think the showrunners might have lucked out since people were already so salted about so many main characters dying that year that they went and cut the scene where Jasper was supposed to eat a bullet lmao.

I like Octavia as a villain and would be pretty satisfied whether they kill or redeem her, tbh. The trajectory she's been on makes sense, and I like that she's definitely not as strong as say Jaha or Kane when it comes to sacrificing her own people for the good of everyone and that + whatever happened during the dark year has broken her.

This season has been super good so far, though it feels p lowkey?? kind of, I don't know how to describe it. But I like it. It's a good vibe.

There is nowhere near enough killing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

There is nowhere near enough killing.

Yeah that must be what's giving me such a lowkey vibe.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

Yeah that must be what's giving me such a lowkey vibe.

No sweet sweet girl love this season... so far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

After this week's episode I think I hate Octavia. She keeps making terrible decisions even after everyone tells her that she doesn't have to. I seriously doubt there is anything in next week's "Dark Year" flashback episode that will justify her actions.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Depends on if they go full bore with the cannibalism thing they keep dropping hints to. But even without that I can buy the way O is right now. She was already a horribly broken person before she was suddenly in charge of making sure the human race survives underground.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

if they had just listened to pike those six years in the bunker would have been a breeze and they'd have retaken the valley by this point with like three people from farm station.

instead we got cannibal troglodytes being ruled over by a child who can't make one right decision.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I was inspired by this show to play Stellaris as sturdy Apocalypse Survivers who can live on radioactive Tomb Worlds no one else can, under the dictatorial rule of the Wanheda. My scientist to explore the universe and find new land was Thelonius Jaha and after a few years there was a popup that Jaha got obsessed by a certain Pulsar, seeing messages in the pulses. None of his crew believed him but he persevered until the insanity took over and he was sent back to an asylum on Earth. Godspeed Thelonius, maybe you will proven to be right in the end.

Endgoal for the game is to build Worldkiller ships and go purging the galaxy of all enemies.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

CeeJee posted:

Endgoal for the game is to build Worldkiller ships and go purging the galaxy of all enemies.

Use apocalypse bombardment and turn every planet into a tomb world.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

esperterra posted:

Depends on if they go full bore with the cannibalism thing they keep dropping hints to. But even without that I can buy the way O is right now. She was already a horribly broken person before she was suddenly in charge of making sure the human race survives underground.

They pretty much have to go full bore with cannibalism.

I was a little worried when it turns out they breed worms in corpses and figured they were just going to reveal that everyone has been eating minced worms that feed on the dead and that you would get a weak secondary cannibalism thing but with Octavia burning the entire hydrofarm down and treating the valley like some mythical place that will absolve all of the sins of the Dark Year they better have been eating babies.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 22, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Okay I caught up with the last episode now.

Octavia is becoming comically evil now I really can’t see a redemption arc for her.

Maddie totally has memories of Lexa and Clark and that’s weird.

I’m surprised Becca was burnt dead but somehow not only the flame survived but all grounders decided to worship it.

Do we know why they call it “the flame” actually? I don’t remember it being explained so I wonder if they just call it that because it was the only thing left over after Becca was, well, inflamed.

I’m really really really tired of Abbey. Like she’s been The Worse for several seasons now but god drat she needs to be killed off. Her story is done and Clark is a “mother” now so we don’t need two overprotective parents.

Edit: Also dude above me could you please remove or spoiler tag that spoiler for a totally unrelated movie tia.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rocksicles posted:

No sweet sweet girl love this season... so far.

Something tells me they aren’t gonna try that again after what happened last time.

joebuddah posted:

So if there are other planets where humans can live. Why don't they go there?

Do they have the tech for interstellar travel? I thought the miners went to the asteroid belt at best, and that took them 100(?) years?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ngl, I'm pretty disappointed that they gave the Flame to Maddi. I've been waiting for three seasons for Wanheda to become the most powerful Wanheda she could become and they jerked it away from us. :(

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

SirSamVimes posted:

Ngl, I'm pretty disappointed that they gave the Flame to Maddi. I've been waiting for three seasons for Wanheda to become the most powerful Wanheda she could become and they jerked it away from us. :(

Silly Rabbit, the season's not over.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

Rectal Death Adept posted:

They pretty much have to go full bore with cannibalism.

It's a bait and switch. They want you to think it's something cool and dark like cannibalism but really they found some sets of Monopoly in the bunker and devised an entire culture around it. 'All of me to all of you' is a house rule payout when you land on Jail. Now, of course, they're just super embarrassed about the whole thing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I didn't catch it when watching, but according to the Wiki the survivors in radsuits who burn Becca alive were the members of the cult that Tex from the Last Ship started. Not sure why they just didn't like, you know, go in the bunker. In fact they even claim Tex was one of the guys there at her pyre, but I didn't recall seeing him. John Pyper-Ferguson is listed as in the ep, but "uncredited" on IMDB.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Astroman posted:

I didn't catch it when watching, but according to the Wiki the survivors in radsuits who burn Becca alive were the members of the cult that Tex from the Last Ship started. Not sure why they just didn't like, you know, go in the bunker. In fact they even claim Tex was one of the guys there at her pyre, but I didn't recall seeing him. John Pyper-Ferguson is listed as in the ep, but "uncredited" on IMDB.

I must have missed some important thing cuz I have no idea what you're talking about. I mean, I know the scene where Becca gets burned, but who is Tex and what last ship?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dalael posted:

I must have missed some important thing cuz I have no idea what you're talking about. I mean, I know the scene where Becca gets burned, but who is Tex and what last ship?

It's a loving show. Star Trek: DSV.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Rocksicles posted:

It's a loving show. Star Trek: DSV.

Seaquest?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Astroman posted:

Tex owns, The Last Ship ownes, John Pyper Ferguson owns...

Dalael posted:

The Last Ship is pretty much Star Trek except on the water and USA! USA! USA!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dalael posted:

When she's getting burned (I didn't catch this on first watch) she's shouting out for "Cadogan" not to do this. Bill Cadogan was the cult leader who set up the Bunker, and in the brief video we saw of him, he was played by character actor John Pyper-Ferguson.

He's an actor I absolutely hated when I first saw him on Jeremiah, mostly because he had a really bad accent. But I came to see him for the American Treasure he is when he showed up for 3 very different roles in the BSG-verse (the rear end in a top hat OG Galactica CAG, dick businessman Vergis in Caprica, and a soldier in Blood and Chrome). He was on a bunch of other shows, like Alphas and Suits. One of his longest roles was the lovable redneck mercenary with a heart of gold, Tex, on the show The Last Ship.

He's a helluva actor who can do a variety of roles. It always struck me as a bit odd that they'd cast someone like him for such a tiny Easter Egg part. I thought he'd be in the bunker, frozen or something. I still think there's a chance he could be in some Other Bunker and pop out as a Big Bad for the next season.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

'Murica Actual and Tex's Excellent Adventure.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Looks like you guys were right about the rations :getin:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm just wondering what horrible way the pilot is going to die. Raven can never be happy.

Murphy finally gets a gun :hellyeah:

"I want real peace too" - Octavia, marching her people to war after refusing a peace deal and destroying all their food manufacturing capabilities.

Boris Galerkin posted:

"Eat your brother OR DIE" :laffo: Abbie was right, you need protein :chef:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

My working theory about why Abby went straight down the drug addict hole was pretty close. I thought she was the one that was carving up the bodies (since she's probably the closest they've got to a butcher down there), but her being the one to make the suggestion and essentially forcing Octavia to start sprinting down the path of Blodreina would probably make anyone start going a little bananas.

edit: Actually, thinking about it more, it's probably not even that; it's the fact that she, through Octavia, forced Kane - the man she loves - to betray his ideals in the most striking way possible.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 25, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm just wondering what horrible way the pilot is going to die. Raven can never be happy.

Murphy finally gets a gun :hellyeah:

"I want real peace too" - Octavia, marching her people to war after refusing a peace deal and destroying all their food manufacturing capabilities.

"Eat your brother OR DIE" :laffo: Abbie was right, you need protein :chef:

Pilot dying: I’m guessing the bad guy (forgot his name, mcsomething) is going to almost kill raven only for pilot dude to save her by jumping in front of that gigantic energy weapon or whatever.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I don't understand how the bunker people didn't rip Octavia apart after learning that not only was she withholding that they could have been growing food, but that she also destroyed their potential food source as a ploy to get them to march to war. Who would go in for that?

Also, gently caress Miller, he used to be cool but now he's just a loving fascist pawn.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

raditts posted:

I don't understand how the bunker people didn't rip Octavia apart after learning that not only was she withholding that they could have been growing food, but that she also destroyed their potential food source as a ploy to get them to march to war. Who would go in for that?

At least half the bunker are still Blodreina fanatics, and the other half don't have much choice if their only other potential food source is destroyed. I'd also imagine that Octavia isn't dumb enough to start handing out their remaining firearms to people who aren't obsessively loyal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope in the final episode someone kills Octavia the same way she killed Pike. Just have some random grounder walk up and stab her with no fanfare.

• Locked thread