Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/LauraLannes/status/1021057423749074946

FirstAidKite posted:

I remember some cheat codes for Sonic Adventure 1 that were listed on some of those cheat aggregate sites and they were dumb poo poo like "if you want to see Mighty the Armadillo, go to the burning master emerald shrine as Sonic and have him stand near the flames and he turns into Mighty!" and "You can find Shadow the Hedgehog in a tube next to Metal Sonic at the entrance to Final Egg!"

This is why you only get verified codes from Cheat Code Central

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

This is why you only get verified codes from Cheat Code Central

I think those were the verified cheat codes from C3

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

I think those were the verified cheat codes from C3

And to think I held them to such a high standard...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Also apparently Sonic Mania Plus has a hidden sound test that if you play tracks in the right order activate cheat codes because of course it does

Man...remember cheat codes?

that's how it worked in the genesis sonic games so of course they would go there

the rogue squadron games had rad cheat codes, but people were too good at guessing them so later games would make you enter two codes, the first would be a random string of garbage and then the second would be the real code

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if i made a star wars game there would be a cheat code JIZZALLNIGHT that plays the cantina song until you turn the game off. thank you

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I had a long running subscription to Tips and Tricks magazine and would spend a lot of time reading over the codes they included in the last few pages. Some of them really sparked the imagination. I remember there were some codes to Plumbers Don't Wear Ties that I was particularly interested in.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They're... a little late, I think.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/07/22/nintendo-files-lawsuit-against-two-well-known-rom-sites/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

$150k per infringement is a huge fine, drat!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And yet emuparadise continues unscathed

I've always wondered how they manage that

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Played a bit more of Nier:Automata this weekend. This game sure has a lot of sidequests.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Probably based in a country with lax ip rights or whatever it'd be.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I hope Ninteno plans to use the one trillion dollars in damages they're seeking to build an easy and affordable way for people to play their back catalogue without emulation, but you know, lol.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Relax Or DIE posted:

I hope Ninteno plans to use the one trillion dollars in damages they're seeking to build an easy and affordable way for people to play their back catalogue without emulation, but you know, lol.

The only people who will ever do this is Microsoft because they're not making any new games. Nintendo and Sony dont care because old games dont make as much money as new ones, sadly.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've been bringing my Switch to work lately to play over lunch. Today I'm running some geoprocessing in ArcMap. I'm scared to touch my computer while the processing is happening. I have nothing to do that does not involve ArcMap. Is it unethical to close my office door and play Octopath until the process is complete?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wildtortilla posted:

I've been bringing my Switch to work lately to play over lunch. Today I'm running some geoprocessing in ArcMap. I'm scared to touch my computer while the processing is happening. I have nothing to do that does not involve ArcMap. Is it unethical to close my office door and play Octopath until the process is complete?

Leave your office door open, but make the progress bar and time remaining prominent enough onscreen to be visible from the hall. Then sit off to the side, so as not to obscure it, and play Octopath.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Wildtortilla posted:

Gaming is always ethical.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wildtortilla posted:

When I was a grad student I had to process SAS analyses that took like three hours sometimes. What did I do during those three hours, you ask? Did I read or work on my thesis?

Hell no I played Doom, mostly.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

take a post-it note or 2 and just write ARCMAP HELPER on them and put them on the back of your switch.

then anyone entering your office will realize how serious you are.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Alfyn
tRessa
Cyrus
priMrose
h'Aanit
oPhelia

Checks out

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Wildtortilla posted:

This Voight-Kampff question needs a few more passes, but the answer is no, it's not unethical.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Everyone, I appreciate the advice but I decided instead to read a few scientific papers about geomorphology that have been sitting next to me for a month.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

The only people who will ever do this is Microsoft because they're not making any new games. Nintendo and Sony dont care because old games dont make as much money as new ones, sadly.

What, are Gears 5, Gears XCOM, and Gears Funko Pop The Game not enough new games for you?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Everyone, I appreciate the advice but I decided instead to read a few scientific papers about geomorphology that have been sitting next to me for a month.

Shameful. Turn in your GameStop PowerUp Rewards Pro Card.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

LawfulWaffle posted:

This Voight-Kampff question needs a few more passes, but the answer is no, it's not unethical.

“The Koopa Troopa is on its back, Mario, but you’re not helping. Why aren’t you helping?”

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lol if anyone thinks that nintendo isn't going to release retro games for switch. We're already getting a bunch in September!

I think the issue is that they just sold those mini consoles and don't want to burn people out by trying to get people who bought those buy them again.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Oh they'll definitely put out some of them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

an actual dog posted:

lol if anyone thinks that nintendo isn't going to release retro games for switch. We're already getting a bunch in September!

I think the issue is that they just sold those mini consoles and don't want to burn people out by trying to get people who bought those buy them again.

I mean they're going to have the online thing with a handful of NES games but they've also stated they have no interest in bringing the VC to the console at this time.

It's not just money. Both Sony and Nintendo had ways to play old games that made it easier for people to pirate those games so it's not really a coincedence that those are the two that don't seem that enthusiastic about it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

glam rock hamhock posted:

I mean they're going to have the online thing with a handful of NES games but they've also stated they have no interest in bringing the VC to the console at this time.

I assume they're waiting for the Mini console craze to lose steam.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I will fly the Jolly Roger proudly until I am provided with a way to legally enjoy Kick Master without an OG NES.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

I will fly the Jolly Roger proudly until I am provided with a way to legally enjoy Kick Master without an OG NES.

why don’t you just get an OG NES

it rules

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

actually a bunch of romsites delisted 1st party games a while ago

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Had one once. Don't need the clutter again. Not to mention the hoops I'd need to jump through to connect it to a modern TV or be able to play it on my couch instead of the way it was designed i.e. cross-legged on the floor 5 feet from the screen. I'm not Jeremy Parish; a Retropie is just fine for me to partake of the greats.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Motto posted:

actually a bunch of romsites delisted 1st party games a while ago

But not emuparadise

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Playing Telsagrad now, it's mostly okay but I don't think putting in multi-stage, cycle based bosses is a good idea in a game where you die in one hit.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

hope you got really good at old school castlevania at one point, then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only Castlevania boss I can think of that can kill you in one hit is maybe Dracula in SNES Dracula X because you can fall off a platform.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The only Castlevania boss I can think of that can kill you in one hit is maybe Dracula in SNES Dracula X because you can fall off a platform.

not what i'm hinting at! though I actually like the bosses in Teslagrad because of the "you can only gently caress up once" thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can gently caress up zero times because once means starting again. It wouldn't even be that bad if they didn't have a 45 second invulnerability phase where you have to wait to be able to damage them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Playing Telsagrad now, it's mostly okay but I don't think putting in multi-stage, cycle based bosses is a good idea in a game where you die in one hit.

I beat it a few years ago, some of the puzzles are cool but its deffo one of the many games that began to make me get really tired of the indie puzzle platform genre

• Locked thread