Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i like that in Warframe and Quake Champions your guns start to sound like they are running out of ammo when they are running out of ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

boar guy posted:

i like that in Warframe and Quake Champions your guns start to sound like they are running out of ammo when they are running out of ammo.

At the risk of invoking the gun nuts, isn't that a mechanic in real life? The last rounds of a magazine are tracers or something so you know you're getting close to the end?

Safeword posted:

Er, yeah, I didn't proof read that very well. :v:

In Grand Kingdom there's no friendly fire protection, so your units can hit their friends and heal their enemies. The tutorial doesn't explicitly warn you about this, so the first time it happened my archer was obliterated by a friendly spell, and I got a trophy for it.

I like silly achievements

(That's killing yourself with a Recycling Grenade)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Samuringa posted:

At the risk of invoking the gun nuts, isn't that a mechanic in real life? The last rounds of a magazine are tracers or something so you know you're getting close to the end?

i meant specifically the audio cue. it's nice not to have to constantly check your UI to see how much ammo you have when the gun starts chunk-chunk-chunking at 20% ammo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Samuringa posted:

I like silly achievements

(That's killing yourself with a Recycling Grenade)

Civilization 6 has the achievement "You Are A Terrible Person."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Resonance of Fate on the PS3 (and only the PS3) had a few trophies with unique pictures: see, the PS3 displayed trophy pictures in a vertical list, directly adjacent to each other. So the devs thought it'd be neat if they did something with it. So when you earn all the story trophies and see the trophy list, you notice that there's about 15 pictures that join together to make a single, long picture. I thought it was really cool.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Can't forget the classic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Kanfy posted:

How do you get that one?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Patrick Spens posted:

How do you get that one?

At the end of the game, someone asks you about what happened, and you mention that you're pretty sure you killed more people than you ended up saving through your actions.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kanfy posted:

Gunpoint also has this cheevo: "Title Finally Relevant: Help justify my early, not entirely wise choice of game name by holding someone at gunpoint with the Resolver."

Most, or all if you decide to, of the game can be played without ever making use of a gun.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Patrick Spens posted:

How do you get that one?

The game begins because 2 people were killed and you're investigating their deaths. If you kill more than that amount during the course of the game, at the end you can write a journal that goes something like "I think in the end I killed more people than I avenged?" and you get the cheevo

I also posted this the other day

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The best one there is the one you get for punching somebody 100 times. The game berates you the entire time and says stuff like "what, you think there's an achievement for this?" The description is "this is an achievement in name only. Nobody is proud of what you've done."

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Since we're in a Gunpoint binge:

Kicking doors is fun.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I started Far Cry 5 over the weekend and there's a scene really early (like 5 minutes in) where you're told to handcuff The Father of the cult you've just arrived at. If you wait it out without pressing A you and your cop buddies give up and just walk away (not sure why someone else couldn't cuff him but whatever) and the game ends, credits roll.

When you actually do cuff him, he gets close to you and mutters "sometimes it's better to just walk away". Then of course all hell breaks loose, including someone throwing themselves into your chopper blades to crash the chopper/save The Father.

Strayer
May 19, 2006

Samuringa posted:

Some groups load tracers at the end of a magazine for that purpose, but there's no mechanical indicator of low ammo left in mag. It's an awesome mechanic that I never knock though, as it is always nice to have subtle cues that may not be realistic or diagetic but give you feedback. Same reason I like hitmarkers in shooters.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

I started Far Cry 5 over the weekend and there's a scene really early (like 5 minutes in) where you're told to handcuff The Father of the cult you've just arrived at. If you wait it out without pressing A you and your cop buddies give up and just walk away (not sure why someone else couldn't cuff him but whatever) and the game ends, credits roll.

When you actually do cuff him, he gets close to you and mutters "sometimes it's better to just walk away". Then of course all hell breaks loose, including someone throwing themselves into your chopper blades to crash the chopper/save The Father.

And then (ending spoilers do not read if you haven't finished the game): at the end of the game nukes go off and everyone dies...though I suppose it's implied this would've happened anyway

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

good to see that far cry stories still dont make any sense

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I dunno, something is just off about FC5. I played straight through 2, 3, 4, and Blood Dragon having a good time the entire game. FC5 is the first one I got half way through and entirely lost interest in.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Talking about Gunpoint achievements and no one posts this one? Shameful.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

3 posted:

Talking about Gunpoint achievements and no one posts this one? Shameful.

it was mentioned

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I dunno, something is just off about FC5. I played straight through 2, 3, 4, and Blood Dragon having a good time the entire game. FC5 is the first one I got half way through and entirely lost interest in.

I've only played it for like a day but I got a feeling of "poo poo there's a lot to do" when you zoom out on the map and see how much poo poo there is, and I'm worried I'll get to this point. I was the same with the other games too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m surprised no one has brought up the Gunpoint achievement for hitting a person 100 times where it says no one admires you for the achievement

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Doesn’t uncharted 4 have one straight up called Ludonarrative Dissonance for killing a bunch of people?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Digirat posted:

Doesn’t uncharted 4 have one straight up called Ludonarrative Dissonance for killing a bunch of people?

Indeed. There is also another one where if you don't touch the controller after a certain cutscene for like 15 minutes you get an achievement, in honor of the E3 showing that hosed up.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Morpheus posted:

And then (ending spoilers do not read if you haven't finished the game): at the end of the game nukes go off and everyone dies...though I suppose it's implied this would've happened anyway

The devs had to step forward and explain that the Nuke was brought up on the news on the radio several times and constantly hinted at, but because nobody is listening to radio for long enough to hear specific news it just got lost. Poor planning on their part

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

I've only played it for like a day but I got a feeling of "poo poo there's a lot to do" when you zoom out on the map and see how much poo poo there is, and I'm worried I'll get to this point. I was the same with the other games too.

It's like, FC3 had decent pacing, FC4 had a lot of the same but an awesome villain and the Himalaya setting was pretty unique. FC5 is just...dull. The characters aren't interesting, Montana is boring, and the villain is just bland.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leal posted:

Indeed. There is also another one where if you don't touch the controller after a certain cutscene for like 15 minutes you get an achievement, in honor of the E3 showing that hosed up.

One of the Dishwasher games has an achievement for pressing the 360 Guide button in the middle of a minigame, because that also happened at E3 once.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's like, FC3 had decent pacing, FC4 had a lot of the same but an awesome villain and the Himalaya setting was pretty unique. FC5 is just...dull. The characters aren't interesting, Montana is boring, and the villain is just bland.

I've liked the characters so far and I love the new companion thing except for when they stand in doorways for no reason :argh:

Oh another little thing - You meet a guy early in the game who has you climb to the top of a radio tower so he can get a stronger signal. Here we go again, I think, remembering doing this a billion times in FC3/FC4. And then...

"Oh and don't worry, I'm not going to make you run all over hell and back turning on radio towers for me, this is the only one" :v:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Leal posted:

I saw that happen live and that is amazing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I dunno, I haven't cared for any of the modern Far Cries because none of them have delivered a satisfying ending. They all seem to go for grimdark "everything you did was for naught, thanks for playing" bullshit.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Speaking of dumb cheevos, one of my favorites is Dungeons of Dreadmor's Nethack-referencing "The Dungeon Caves In", with the description "Thanks for participating in our "voluntary" beta program". The only way to get it is to have the game crash on you.

(Also, all of Stanley Parable's cheevos)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, I haven't cared for any of the modern Far Cries because none of them have delivered a satisfying ending. They all seem to go for grimdark "everything you did was for naught, thanks for playing" bullshit.

3 has you escaping the island with your friends. 4’s secret ending is pretty decent, too.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

3 has you escaping the island with your friends. 4’s secret ending is pretty decent, too.

That's not how my Far Cry 3 ended... :wiggle:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Saints Row IV: Christmas DLC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teRGbK5tWdk

For those who rather not waste 5 minutes watching a video: You are essentially mashing a button instead of choosing an alternate option. The game taunts you the entire time and when it's over... it did nothing and you still have to take the alternate option. You get an achievement to add insult to (thumb) injury.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 20:55 on Jul 23, 2018

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I wouldn't describe either Amita or Sabal as "awesome."

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Neito posted:

Speaking of dumb cheevos, one of my favorites is Dungeons of Dreadmor's Nethack-referencing "The Dungeon Caves In", with the description "Thanks for participating in our "voluntary" beta program". The only way to get it is to have the game crash on you.

(Also, all of Stanley Parable's cheevos)

Also the fact that the game had a bug in an ending that required you to keep pressing the same button for four hours but none of the devs realized it because they weren't crazy enough to test it

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/814355280850984960

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Sunswipe posted:

I wouldn't describe either Amita or Sabal as "awesome."

:thejoke: I assume, but i figure they meant Pagan Min.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I never got people’s issue with Amita. Like what was wrong with her, she wanted to finance her revolution by selling drugs, like every other rebel movement in the developing world? Oh no that totally makes her worse than Metrosexual Kim Jong-Il or the guy that wants to marry a child to institute a theocracy or whatever his deal was.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Oh well if other organizations have done it I guess it’s actually pretty great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I never got people’s issue with Amita. Like what was wrong with her, she wanted to finance her revolution by selling drugs, like every other rebel movement in the developing world?

Yes.