Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Splicer posted:

I don't think it needs to be locked behind ethics or civics. Authoritarianism where the ruling caste pointedly does not waste resources on frippery, bread and circuses is for the weak minded, our asceticism is what makes us fit to lead. Ruling is not a privilege, it is a duty.

Human Hive living standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

I don't think it needs to be locked behind ethics or civics. Authoritarianism where the ruling caste pointedly does not waste resources on frippery, bread and circuses is for the weak minded, our asceticism is what makes us fit to lead. Ruling is not a privilege, it is a duty.

I'm sorry, but some things are just too unrealistic even for Stellaris.

An early game egalitarian living standard where rulers have to give some stuff up and are mad about it is totes doable tho.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Splicer posted:

So basically taking 1984's conceit to the limit, where the upper party traded opulence for stronger assurance of the continuation of their power. That'd be cool.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Leaked early footage of Stellaris hive mind pop duty assignment screen.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
I kind of hope these new systems actually do have some interesting interactions for hive minds/machine intelligences. Wanna see more of how it works from that angle.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wiz posted:

An early game egalitarian living standard where rulers have to give some stuff up and are mad about it is totes doable tho.
:mad: fine

An asceticism civic where leaders gain a bonus for living like hermits could be cool though.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Agrarian Idyll could look so cool in the new system.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

There should at least be a priest caste that doesn't have reproduction rights.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Even in space Paradox games are eurocentric.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Just realised there's no way to make a species who do not care about creature comforts outside hive minds. You can reduce the cost of consumer goods, but not demand. No concept of knowledge for knowledge's sake or "For the good of the species"; all across the Stellaris universe there is no motivator but greed.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

:capitalism:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

This is why hive minds are the best, btw.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Splicer posted:

Just realised there's no way to make a species who do not care about creature comforts outside hive minds. You can reduce the cost of consumer goods, but not demand. No concept of knowledge for knowledge's sake or "For the good of the species"; all across the Stellaris universe there is no motivator but greed.

Well specifically you reduce the mineral expenditure on consumer goods, which is vague in that it could mean both more efficient production or less demand.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

This is a searing hot but very silly take on 'those with power tend to allocate more resources to themselves'

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

i role played one fanatic egalitarian, environmentalist, conservationist species needing less consumer goods as being satisfied with much less, coming from a true poo poo hole of a homeworld. a human's decent/poor living standards was their utopian abundance.

edit: even basic robots use consumer goods. Those drat capitalistic robots only working out of greed!

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 23, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wiz posted:

This is a searing hot but very silly take on 'those with power tend to allocate more resources to themselves'
Humans with power :colbert: what about molluscs with power?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Splicer posted:

Humans with power :colbert: what about molluscs with power?

Where do extremist buddhist nationalism movements fit into the spectrum of humans and molluscs?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lots of resources allocated to shells.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Well I mean there is a species trait that reduces their consumer goods mineral cost, right? I'd interpret that as a spartan living style.

Although that's racial instead of social so I guess it's not quite the same.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I don't know about you guys, but I draw fulfillment from the transcendent agony of my ascetic eudaimonic struggle.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There really should be some kind of no fun allowed living standard available to reflect an ascetic ruling class forcing their beliefs on everyone else.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This got a bit weirdly antagonistic, I guess I'm just trying to say that in my weird alien empire simulator I'd like it if I could make weird alien empires who's weird alien priorities are "To each according to their needs" or "Leading's easy pay them less" or even "Not hugely pushed about material possessions at all really".

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 23, 2018

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Had an issue in my current Voor game - after the collapse the of the horde I ended up wanting to steal some territory from one of the fragments, I noticed a federation was taking their systems too, so I claimed a bunch of systems went to war, and after grabbing a few systems, and occupying all the worlds the war just stopped. Target had no planets, no systems, no stations but the war exhaustion just slowly ticked up. In the end I took a white peace and right now it looks like the federation is just sitting their in the same situation, moving fleets back and forth with impunity while the war sits around unwon.

In a couple of systems I was occupying the planets while the federation forces had captured the station, I had the top claim on those systems but wasn't awarded them in the peace deal. Not that I expected that, but It might be relevant.

Anyone seen this behaviour?

illectro fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 23, 2018

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Splicer posted:

This got a bit weirdly antagonistic, I guess I'm just trying to say that in my weird alien empire simulator I'd like to make a weird alien empires who's hat is "Not funnelling all the wealth to the 1%" or "Not hugely pushed about material possessions, thanks"

Unfortunately this game is made by human beings and therefore limited by human imagination. We just can't comprehend something like that unless it's hive mind bugs or literal robots.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

illectro posted:

Had an issue in my current Voor game - after the collapse the of the horde I ended up wanting to steal some territory from one of the fragments, I noticed a federation was taking their systems too, so I claimed a bunch of systems went to war, and after grabbing a few systems, and occupying all the worlds the war just stopped. Target had no planets, no systems, no stations but the war exhaustion just slowly ticked up. In the end I took a white peace and right now it looks like the federation is just sitting their in the same situation, moving fleets back and forth with impunity while the war sits around unwon.

In a couple of systems I was occupying the planets while the federation forces had captured the station, I had the top claim on those systems but wasn't awarded them in the peace deal. Not that I expected that, but It might be relevant.

Anyone seen this behaviour?

You only get claimed systems if you fully control them. Meaning station and all planets

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

ConfusedUs posted:

You only get claimed systems if you fully control them. Meaning station and all planets

Yeah I figured that, but it's not explaining why the war is dragging on even after I dropped out.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Splicer posted:

This got a bit weirdly antagonistic, I guess I'm just trying to say that in my weird alien empire simulator I'd like it if I could make weird alien empires who's weird alien priorities are "To each according to their needs" or "Leading's easy pay them less" or even "Not hugely pushed about material possessions at all really".

It's difficult to comprehend a species that is able to achieve technological progress but also does not care about material possessions what so ever. At a society level, sure, but at a species level I'm not sure how you proliferate even the most basic tools when nobody gives a poo poo about them.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Splicer posted:

"Leading's easy pay them less"
Socially, the problem with this is the "them." Because whoever the real ruling class in the society is, they'd have to decide "leading's easy, pay me less," which seems generally unlikely.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

just lol if in the tyol 2200 you care about things like "being paid" and "material goods" and not the survival of the collective whole and attainment of spiritual enlightenment

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Problem: The ruling class is taking too big a share of the resources from the working class.

Solution: Nerve staple the working class.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Chomp8645 posted:

Eat The Rich civic when?

That's devouring swarm.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO_xh7xIabk

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Epicurius posted:

That's devouring swarm.

I unironically want this now

E: communist space bugs that only devour the upper classes while modifying the lower classes into future drones for the swarm

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Engineer a master race/slave race civilization where the slave race is actually the wealthy living in utopian abundance, but they're also Delicious. :unsmigghh:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DrSunshine posted:

Engineer a master race/slave race civilization where the slave race is actually the wealthy living in utopian abundance, but they're also Delicious. :unsmigghh:

Kinda like Orions except they didn't have the eating part.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

DrSunshine posted:

That's like an Eloi/Morlocks thing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

winterwerefox posted:

i role played one fanatic egalitarian, environmentalist, conservationist species needing less consumer goods as being satisfied with much less, coming from a true poo poo hole of a homeworld. a human's decent/poor living standards was their utopian abundance.

edit: even basic robots use consumer goods. Those drat capitalistic robots only working out of greed!

To be honest, if a civilization could build robots completely maintenance free, they wouldn't need to conquer the galaxy, since they would be advanced enough already to totally outclass everyone.

Chalks posted:

It's difficult to comprehend a species that is able to achieve technological progress but also does not care about material possessions what so ever. At a society level, sure, but at a species level I'm not sure how you proliferate even the most basic tools when nobody gives a poo poo about them.

It's not that, really. It's just that in a game it's kind of hard to hit a sweet spot between mad scientist level complexity and having all differences abstracted away. Look at the example above, it would never have crossed my mind someone would interpret robots needing spare parts abstracted away under "consumer goods" could be interpreted as robots buying Nintendo Switches for fun or some dumb poo poo, but yet here we are.

(Of course it's funny, but it's certainly not what consumer-goods using robots actually are. It's just a measure of all that poo poo needed to support a complex piece of machinery like an all-purpose generalist robot.)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Perhaps you could replace "consumer goods" with "consumption."

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking forward to making a Fanatically Authoritarian Materialist empire where the ruling class lives in obscene wealth while the rest fight for scraps. I shall call it Galt's Gulch.

The bio writes itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Aethernet posted:

I'm looking forward to making a Fanatically Authoritarian Materialist empire where the ruling class lives in obscene wealth while the rest fight for scraps. I shall call it Galt's Gulch.

The bio writes itself.

I'm not sure if the new population system will be able to have planets with only administrators.