Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
There’s a morellonomicon lying there, dying in the heat. You watch as it flaps its pages in the sun. All it needs to survive is to be bought, but you’re not buying it. Why aren’t you buying it, pog? Why aren’t you buying it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nightgull posted:

There’s a morellonomicon lying there, dying in the heat. You watch as it flaps its pages in the sun. All it needs to survive is to be bought, but you’re not buying it. Why aren’t you buying it, pog? Why aren’t you buying it?

:drat:

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Nightgull posted:

Bury it

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Nightgull posted:

cause it is supposed to be purple and now it is blue

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the loading screen used to show whichever team was on blue and red side via supposedly distinguishable colors, but i could never tell the difference, so why dont you get over the fact that red purple and blue are all allegedly different things

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Nightgull posted:

because a deathcap gives more AP, bitch

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Can't heal if they're dead.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I need to expand my hero pool.

I currently play the following heroes well:

Vlad
Brand
Karthus
Lux
Morgana

I am very strong mechanically. Looking to play someone who can take over the game and 1vs9. I do not like Katarina as the RNG with her dagger is somewhat annoying. In general not a fan of melee heroes.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Most of the characters who can take over the game by getting hugely ahead are melee dudes, sadly. Irelia, Yi, etc.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you mostly cant 1v9 at your own elo

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Enigma89 posted:

Vlad
Brand
Karthus
Lux
Morgana

I am very strong mechanically. Looking to play someone who can take over the game and 1vs9. I do not like Katarina as the RNG with her dagger is somewhat annoying. In general not a fan of melee heroes.

what rank are you, right now, this season?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

rabidsquid posted:

you mostly cant 1v9 at your own elo

pretty much this. It's much better to play a champion as well as possible and shoot for that sweet 60% or so winrate.

all that being said, if you play Vlad well.... just keep playing Vlad until he gets the nerfs that are clearly coming.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

Vlad
Brand
Karthus
Lux
Morgana

work on improving your attitude, your allies are there to help you

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

There isnt significant RNG to Kat's abilities either

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
The secret to improving is figuring out how to be play well enough and be sane enough to win the 20-30% of games that are super close and your performance is the key difference between winning and losing. The rest of the games are "Your team does really well and you just have to play decently" and "Your team gets dunked on, there's no way you can realistically carry it".

Expanding your hero pool is also a big trap if you're trying to improve your rank, IMO. Get really good with 2-3 champions, figure out when/why you want one over the other, and you'll probably see more improvements then trying to be a jack of all trades. At some point having a wider champion pool will matter, but it's not really until somewhere in the really high ranks.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 23, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Spokes posted:

what rank are you, right now, this season?

Very very strong mechanically, gold elo, ign is Atlas looking to 1v9 carry,

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

There isnt significant RNG to Kat's abilities either

She's one of the least RNG champs in the game. Q is 100% reliable: it will bounce to up to two nearby enemies after hitting the first, and will then land 350 units directly behind the last hit unit, unless otherwise blocked by intervening terrain. This is actually the reason almost no one plays Katarina as you go up the MMR brackets: her pattern of play is so predictable and reliable that anyone who understands where Q will land can outplay her easily.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

Vlad
Brand
Karthus
Lux
Morgana

I agree with the other posters that going into the game with the 1v9 is a tough proposition. The attitude i think is best to echo is that you should aim to not outright lose the game. The other way people talk about this is letting yourself be carried. If you can exit the laning phase with equal or better cs than your lane opponent you're good on that front. If it's at the expense of your lane opponent roaming and destroying other lanes then they need to have lost a lot in exchange (major cs difference, lost tower, matching roams to the enemy jungle or opposite lane)

The 1v9 style you're describing is generally going to be a split push heavy style like singed or tryndamere or udyr where you win on the basis of the opponent team not knowing how to play against that strategy. Foggedftw2 is a very popular streamer that plays this way and is surprising nontoxic for a tryndamere 1 trick. People in this thread don't like this apporoach because you're not really learning the game as most people play it.

You've approached 1,000 games in this season, with the largest mmr growth adjusting from the bot lane to the mid lane. We have discussed before looking into educational content. A lot of this content defines metagame terms such as csd, zoning, priority, freezing, positioning, power spikes, base timings, build orders, etc.

To climb your priority should no longer be based on trying to mechanically out playing your opponent by running at your opponent as Vladimir and stat- checking them. Rather, you should be looking at all these definitions in the context of games you have won and lost. Your questions should be phrased in the context of specific areas of improvement and not finding the next 8.12 Vladimir (which helps, but isn't sustainable for long term mmr growth).

Instead of the extra game you play a night watch one of your replays and take notes, or better watch an educational video and apply it to a replay.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Buy more wards, too

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Who should I watch if I want to be a better support?

Menohaxor on YouTube

Edit: oops I’m very late. Hey y’all.

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 23, 2018

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

Vlad
Brand
Karthus
Lux
Morgana

I’ll try to be more charitable than the other people in the thread, and say that I think you’re just misdiagnosing your problem. Why do you need to expand your pool? If you can play five champs well and you have great mechanics, why are you losing games? If anything, you should contract, rather than expand, your pool. Four of those champs (the ones that aren’t Vlad) do pretty much the same thing as one another. If you really want to play different champs, then focus on playing someone that does something entirely different.

Candidates to try out are LeBlanc so you can play an assassin, Lissandra for when your team needs engage or you just want to style on a Zed player, and Twisted Fate or ASol for map pressure.

However if you really wanna climb then switch roles and be a Nami one-trick

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

Vlad
Brand
Karthus
Lux
Morgana

Even if you decide not to pick the role up as a main it's a good idea to learn some junglers as in this game some of the hardest carrying comes just from being in the right place at the right time, which the jungle can teach.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I just wanted to learn new heroes. I have 1k games this season and I have only played a handful of heroes. I hit my goal of gold with very little research and just playing (a lot).

I sit down and watch replays in dota but this game is my fun game while dota is my try hard game. If I start watching a ton of replays in this game then I am going to burn myself out of both games. DotA is my #1 choice but I can only play so many games because they are just too intense and I get too invested in them.

I know I am playing with blinders on but it is a conscience choice because if I sit down and start taking this game serious then I am going to lose my life grinding LP. I lost nearly 2 years in dota grinding like crazy and being angry after every lost. With this game its just happy lessons when I learn something midgame.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Enigma89 posted:

I just wanted to learn new heroes. I have 1k games this season and I have only played a handful of heroes. I hit my goal of gold with very little research and just playing (a lot).

I sit down and watch replays in dota but this game is my fun game while dota is my try hard game. If I start watching a ton of replays in this game then I am going to burn myself out of both games. DotA is my #1 choice but I can only play so many games because they are just too intense and I get too invested in them.

I know I am playing with blinders on but it is a conscience choice because if I sit down and start taking this game serious then I am going to lose my life grinding LP. I lost nearly 2 years in dota grinding like crazy and being angry after every lost. With this game its just happy lessons when I learn something midgame.

Play every champ on the roster alphabetically then and stop trying to gain lp. You're gold 5 which you only got with vlad at ~5 cs a minute as mid, you've got a ways to go both mechanically and in a larger macro sense. gently caress around playing weird poo poo (its the best time to be doing this) and stop taking it even semi serious. You're years and years behind general game sense knowledge that you'll only catch up on by playing champs

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
unfortunately you asked for a thing that doesnt really have an answer (a caster that can 1v9 that isnt kat) so either you need to pick up a couple melee mids or learn to translate your success into the thing that actually wins games which is applying map pressure or pick another caster with a 700 range zone and do magic spells on the bad guys (orianna maybe?)

my advice: learn to like talon, go tiamat ghostblade and just start roaming at 6 until it stops losing you games

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

learning new guys is fun so i appreciate the sentiment. try playing zoe, the aspect of twilight

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

pog boyfriend posted:

learning new guys is fun so i appreciate the sentiment. try playing zoe, the aspect of twilight

I actually started playing her! She is actually quite fun, she reminds me of Puck. I thought I was getting the hang of her and then I took her into rank and not so much. I think my gently caress up is going aery and rushing ludens. It seems like Ludens has such a big build up and I am not finishing it in time and missing my window to really spike and then I am playing catch up all game.

I have been thinking of going electrocute and then rushing lich but I am not sure if that is a good move or not.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Play every champ on the roster alphabetically then and stop trying to gain lp. You're gold 5 which you only got with vlad at ~5 cs a minute as mid, you've got a ways to go both mechanically and in a larger macro sense. gently caress around playing weird poo poo (its the best time to be doing this) and stop taking it even semi serious. You're years and years behind general game sense knowledge that you'll only catch up on by playing champs

I've never played jungle before so I have been thinking of doing that. I was thinking of maybe picking up Diana because she can mid and I sometimes see her in jungle (not sure if she is great there).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Diana's very strong if she gets ahead, but she's arguably one of the hardest mages in the game to play due to how dogshit her 1-6 is. If you've got proper wave management down and know when to play defensively, she's a decent pick, but in most cases you're going to get ganked over and over by the jungler and shoved into the ground.

Right now, the best 1v9 mage in the game is indisputably Vlad. Ahri is also looking promising as a solo queue pick after the Charm buff. In general, any champ with strong mobility options, a way of becoming untargetable, or massive amounts of self-healing is going to do well in solo queue.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Stop throwing the term 1v9 around its a waste of time. Whether you like it or not this is a team game and your success depends greatly on evaluating what you can bring to your team to make it succeed.

The best way to get higher ranks is to just keep playing games and learn from the mistakes you make. Focus on your map awareness/warding, positioning. Those things are just as important as being able to correctly land skills/combos and last hit creeps.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

AP trynd can 1v9 in the sense that he's impossible to stop splitpushing, and with the buffs it's simply a case of when you win the game, not if.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Weird, Tryndamere isn't in the top five win rates of any role

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

https://support.riotgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/201752714-LeaverBuster-FAQ

friendly reminder that the portion of support staff that are in charge of leaverbuster appeals are loving demons and they act purely with malice and spite

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Stop trying to 1v9 and start trying to 1v10, because how can you defeat your opponents without first defeating your own inner demons

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

https://support.riotgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/201752714-LeaverBuster-FAQ

friendly reminder that the portion of support staff that are in charge of leaverbuster appeals are loving demons and they act purely with malice and spite

Stop leaving games

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

Stop leaving games

read the faq i am telling you this is hosed up they basically say "hey if your dad has a heart attack and you have to leave sorry but just suck up the punishment" and earlier there is a section where the questions are "hey can you do anything to alleviate my dropped game that was not my fault" and they say no

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Because nobody else cares about your problems, they just know you left the game.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

There's no way you have that many random but understandable leaves. I have two kids and I think my leaves are in the single digits across thousands of games and 8 years.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

If you're getting hit by leaverbuster, you deserve it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I left games when my computer was loving up and I could not for the life of me figure out what the issue with it was, and I've intentionally never connected to a few games so my team could remake when I got placed jungle and forgot to take smite. To my knowledge, I've never been leaverbusted.

No one is getting a long ban for a single game they left.