Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Rise Of Nations was pretty OK, I liked the nukes.

Rise of Nations is my favorite RTS because I love upgrading and the civilization progress of that game was Age of Empires on steroids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I'm still mad that I missed this the one time I played through but getting it would require reverting and repeating several minutes of cutscene/boring gameplay so sorry dude

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

now i'm trying to legitimately remember the most recent game that i've played that had the traditional "big button prompts on screen during a cutscene press x to not die" style quick time events

i know witcher 2 had them but that still was 2011

edit: resident evil 6 was 2012, but i can't remember if it had mid cutscene stuff or if it was exclusively during gameplay

It happens nonstop during cutscenes in RE6

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Although the line between "cutscene" and "gameplay" in RE6 is a thin one, because it's a pinnacle of game design and a modern masterpiece

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just tried playing some old-school Elite from the 80s and god drat is this game impenetrable. I have no idea what I'm doing and the second I leave the safety of home and I get jumped by pirates and exploded while I flail around in space like I'm drunk.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

MOBAs are RTS games for people who are too dumb to control more than one unit, and/or fighting games for people who can’t man up and blame themselves for losing.

yeah, they're ftw :twisted:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

The point of fighting games is not to be good at them just be like "woah these sprites are cool" and think things like "i wish i had an outfit like that" unless its one of those fighters who don't wear much then that isn't really much of an outfit.

Ah,

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
emuparadise did delist first party games for a while

then it started putting some of them back up

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i really love the idea of elite: dangerous i just absolutely hate how doing anything in it is bookended by 20 minutes of travel time to and from stations, and anything worth doing in it has to be done 300 million times to make any noticeable progress, and everything you can do in it is extremely repetitive

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Woah they move their hands in cool ways.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cowcaster posted:

now i'm trying to legitimately remember the most recent game that i've played that had the traditional "big button prompts on screen during a cutscene press x to not die" style quick time events

i know witcher 2 had them but that still was 2011

edit: resident evil 6 was 2012, but i can't remember if it had mid cutscene stuff or if it was exclusively during gameplay

Both Tomb Raiders have that kind of thing iirc

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/AmongTreesGame/status/1021063030099017728

Wow this game looks really pretty! Let's see what the deal is

*looks at steam page*
https://store.steampowered.com/app/897730/Among_Trees/

quote:

A vibrant first-person exploration adventure, Among Trees is set in a colorful wilderness world teeming with life.

Oh so this must be a walking sim right? I'm super into those and it looks really pretty! I'm in!

quote:

Available: Early access in late 2018 / early 2019

Wait hold o-

quote:

This is your little wood cabin. Located in the heart of a lush forest, the cabin is expandable: build new rooms and unlock additional game mechanics, including food cooking, plant growing, and tool crafting.

No stop don't do this

quote:

Survive any way you can. Stay safe as you explore. Do what you need to do: scavenging for food, catching fish, and chopping down trees.

:negative:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Woah they move their hands in cool ways.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i really love the idea of elite: dangerous i just absolutely hate how doing anything in it is bookended by 20 minutes of travel time to and from stations, and anything worth doing in it has to be done 300 million times to make any noticeable progress, and everything you can do in it is extremely repetitive

There should be a more realistic space game where it takes 8 months real time to travel to another planet

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

There should be a more realistic space game where it takes 8 months real time to travel to another planet

you joke but there's an entire demographic (and i believe a majority at that) of the elite dangerous community that pitches ideas like this because the concept of 1:1 realism is more entertaining to them than playing a game in their faster than light spaceship laser simulator

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Macaluso posted:

https://twitter.com/AmongTreesGame/status/1021063030099017728

Wow this game looks really pretty! Let's see what the deal is

*looks at steam page*
https://store.steampowered.com/app/897730/Among_Trees/

Oh so this must be a walking sim right? I'm super into those and it looks really pretty! I'm in!

Wait hold o-

No stop don't do this

:negative:

A hundred years ago people would read Jack London novels to experience life in the wilderness, man against nature, doing everything to survive in an environment that wants nothing more than to kill you. Now they have games like this, I guess!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I never played many RTS aside from an unhealthy relationship with Starcraft 1, but my favorite game from the genre was Outpost 2. You picked one of two factions of colonists and tried to survive on an alien planet. The planet (I forget the name) was lifeless so there weren't any alien enemies to fight against, it was just you surviving against occasional attacks from the other faction and maybe one mission against your own troops, but almost every mission was really a race against the clock. One faction wanted to terraform the planet and their creeping problem was a thing called the Blight, which would slowly take over the map and could be held back for a short while with special walls. The other faction wanted to learn to live with the planet the way it was, and they contended with lava, which worked the same way as the Blight. Something about managing colonists, assigning them to work in the different facilities or putting them through university so they could become researchers, finding high yield ore deposits, and eventually ending each mission by packing up the required number of living humans into rovers so they could escape before their little outpost became overran by biogoo or molten rock obviously left an impression on me. I just now saw that it's available on Good Old Games, so I think I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

e: Oh, I guess it's not on GOG. But apparently it is available on outpost2.net? Maybe that's :filez:, I can't check the site at work.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 23, 2018

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

A hundred years ago people would read Jack London novels to experience life in the wilderness, man against nature, doing everything to survive in an environment that wants nothing more than to kill you. Now they have games like this, I guess!

I hate survival games but I would play the poo poo out of something based on Called of the Wild.

I really want to play Saurian too because I'm a dino nerd but my computer is too bad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

You can spend that long to fly to another star in elite but it doesn't load right if you don't use the hyperdrive (I think people discovered this with mods, no one has actually spent that long in the cockpit). There are several star systems in the game whose destinations are so spread out you have to spend tens of real-time minutes flying to them, the biggest is several hours across. It was only recently that a way to avoid taking missions that obligated you to do this was patched in.

You could do a multi-month flight for realsies in KSP if you refrain from using the time acceleration commands, everything in that game is full scale and you're limited to realistically attainable speeds.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I want to clarify that you play as Buck in my dream Call of the Wild survival/adventure game. Not one of the musher humans.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Harrow posted:

This is every dramatic scene in any tabletop RPG I've ever run

Speaking of tabletop RPGs, my friend is running a Deadlands campaign that I'm in and while I really, truly appreciate all the work that he puts into the game, there's one thing he does that really irks me: require Notice rolls for *everything*. Like, I want to read through a journal, that's a Notice roll. I walk into a dark room and fail my Notice roll? Well then I don't see the glowing rock on the middle of the desk. One time we entered a room and he had us roll notice before telling us that the room was the scene of a murder and that there was broken furniture and blood everywhere. What would have happened if everyone had failed that roll? I don't think that he's gauging how much information to give based on the roll, because he'll have us do additional Notice checks after establishing a scene. Like the murder scene, there were more checks after we walked in to see if things were missing, if there were areas conspicuously free of blood, if there were broken windows, etc. The DM and I clearly have a difference of opinion when it comes to these checks; I feel like there are things that should be obvious or provided without a check, and he wants to slow down his own storytelling to see if my character is still literate.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like the idea Gumshoe has where if there is a clue, you are going to find it, and the only rolls you make with clues is just extra bits of information tied to them if you have whatever skill corresponds to it.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
From that read it sounds to me like he's either anxious about the mystery being too easy to solve and throwing up roadblocks to complicate it, or he's trying a weird strategy of letting you roll Notice to give the illusion that there's something you're missing, even if you're not.

Assuming it's not just because he's bad at it. I know when I DMed at first I would throw out pointless skill checks to try and trip the party up, out of a sense of trying to 'win' the game, but it's a bad way to DM imo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the funny thing about nintendo going after rom sites is that like... don't people just torrent that poo poo now? Like can't you just torrent for 5 seconds and then all the 8-bit/16-bit games ever made are already on your computer

I use torrent as a verb because i'm an old person who hasn't done an eCrime in like a decade

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Torrent is definitely a verb, and also you're correct.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

kids don't torrent these days, they Splornc

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Gonna go home and roll around in my pile of knockoff amiibo nfc cards.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

kids don't torrent these days, they Splornc

what a bunch of old people. we never moved to splornc, and we don't download torrents either. we Magnet

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

anyway I have no interest in eCrime-ing first party games but I consider abandonware to be on par with ripping the tag off a mattress

also imo copyright law has become morally unjust and this winter they are going to attempt to extend the duration by another 50 years lol. so gently caress that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Relax Or DIE posted:

Intoxicated is the correct and moral state to play MOBAs in, people who play them sober are not to be trusted.

there is no ethical gaming under mobas

The Colonel posted:

the saddest first party video game piracy story i ever learned of is that pokemon channel is so unwanted that people don't even pirate it

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 23, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i too am old enough to remember lobster sticks to magnet

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I assumed that illegal downloads leave too much of a trail these days and everyone acquires their games by buying keys with bitcoin off the dark web

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I assumed that illegal downloads leave too much of a trail these days and everyone acquires their games by buying keys with bitcoin off the dark web

brb buyin a steam key for rodea the sky soldier for the 3ds with crytek coin

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Taking an individual to court over copyright is a waste of money compared to going after the distributor. that's why Nintendo sued LoveROMs and not.. Greg

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Suing Greg, is a lose lose situation. Sue him once, he will sue you ten times.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a serial retro pirate with a black coat flowing in the wind, illegal downloads of thousands of games including amagon, wario land 2 and wild arms falling from their coattail as they confidently stroll away with a smirk on their face while the iron grip of nintendo closes in on all of the illegal rom sites behind them

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

When I got my Retropie I found a Facebook group that had MegaUpload (I think, pretty sure?) links for entire libraries for most systems. Which is cool and everything until people start posting about the Wonderswan Color version of Final Fantasy Legend and I discover that the version in the dump is screwed up but I'm the only person in tens of thousands of members who gives a hoot.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Svalbard Global Seed Vault but for ROMs

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i downloaded super mario 64 just a few weeks ago! to play a rom hack, i still have my original cartridge please don't arrest me Nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i once read a yahoo answers that had someone asking how to download pikmin and someone answered "only download games u own. why shouldnt you download ones you dont? one word: tha police"

• Locked thread