Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

i like tacos posted:

I had to hear people cheer for Joss Whedon and Johnny Depp this weekend and I was not happy about either of them.

Whedon is a lovely husband, but as far as I know, he only cheated on his wife.

Depp allegedly beat the poo poo out of Amber Heard, tried to force her to do drugs, and financially and physically threatened her.

Seems weird to put them together. It's like when people were lumping in Aziz Ansari and Harvey Weinstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Whedon is a lovely husband, but as far as I know, he only cheated on his wife.

Depp allegedly beat the poo poo out of Amber Heard, tried to force her to do drugs, and financially and physically threatened her.

Seems weird to put them together. It's like when people were lumping in Aziz Ansari and Harvey Weinstein.

Joss Whedon was doing casting couch bullshit, it's worse than just cheating on his wife due to the power dynamics involved and the manipulative bullshit his wife described. Paired with his hypocrisy over his supposed feminist beliefs...

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Whedon's poo poo is also just sexist. Snyder and Jenkins both did a good job of making Wonder Woman into a fun character who is a sexual being without being cheesecake. He turned Wonder Woman into a nagging mom who everyone wants to bang for his film. His treatment of Black Widow is somehow even worse.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Don't bring Snyder into this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Eh, for all the complaints people have of BvS, most everyone seems to agree that Wonder Woman was done well.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Endless Mike posted:

Eh, for all the complaints people have of BvS, most everyone seems to agree that Wonder Woman was done well.

She was in it for all of 8 minutes and spent 3 full minutes watching quicktime files on a laptop alone.

Not saying that Whedon's characterization isn't poo poo, but a character getting a short cameo without any required exposition is a lot easier to use effectively than that same character as a lead in an ensemble film.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The decision to make e.g. Amazon costumes more skimpy in Justice League happened way before Whedon got involved. Then you have Snyder's past filmography. Talking about Whedon's hangups is fine but setting him as opposite to glorious feminist Snyder is just gonna raise eyebrows.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 23, 2018

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She was in it for all of 8 minutes and spent 3 full minutes watching quicktime files on a laptop alone.

Not saying that Whedon's characterization isn't poo poo, but a character getting a short cameo without any required exposition is a lot easier to use effectively than that same character as a lead in an ensemble film.
Yes, but it doesn't stop there from being some characterization. Wonder Woman comes off as being brash and funny in BvS, traits that Jenkins elaborated on and better developed in her own film.

Fangz posted:

There was discussion of them changing the Amazon costumes to be more skimpy in Justice League way before Whedon got involved. Then you have Snyder's past filmography. Talking about Whedon's hangups is fine but setting him as opposite to glorious feminist Snyder is just gonna raise eyebrows.
Dude, your projecting a lot on people. Your engaging in a pedantic argument with nobody.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yes, but it doesn't stop there from being some characterization. Wonder Woman comes off as being brash and funny in BvS, traits that Jenkins elaborated on and better developed in her own film.
Dude, your projecting a lot on people. Your engaging in a pedantic argument with nobody.

Nah I agree, you're being weird about this

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I said that Snyder and Jenkins did a good job developing Wonder Woman. I found Whedon's characterization to be sexist in comparison. I was then told that I was painting Snyder--whose films I don't even enjoy--as a feminist hero. I then called out that person on projecting an opinion on me that I literally never expressed with some arbitrary details that don't even align with the criticisms I'm making.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Justice League Amazons weren't the same ones we saw in Wonder Woman. They were like the elite guard assigned to the Motherbox.

They knew Steppenwolf could come back through at any time so they were there to stop him.

With their rock hard abs.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Timeless Appeal posted:

Whedon's poo poo is also just sexist. Snyder and Jenkins both did a good job of making Wonder Woman into a fun character who is a sexual being without being cheesecake. He turned Wonder Woman into a nagging mom who everyone wants to bang for his film. His treatment of Black Widow is somehow even worse.

And every review I read that complained about wonder woman's portrayal and upskirt shots basically squarely blamed Snyder

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also the upskirt shot was in the first trailer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

And every review I read that complained about wonder woman's portrayal and upskirt shots basically squarely blamed Snyder

Pretty sure that was based on a quote from Snyder saying that he wanted to really focus on the abs on the Amazon women and Wonder Women after BvS to show how strong their woman only society is and that they can be feminine and masculine.

Patty Jenkins also says that the final look for the Amazons had less bare midriff than Snyder wanted.

He also tried to play it off initially:

quote:

If we had not seen the photos of the sexy Amazon costumes surface online beforehand, we would never had noticed them. Although some of the skimpy outfits can be briefly glimpsed throughout the movie, most of the Amazon warriors are clad in full armor and cloaks while fighting.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 23, 2018

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Lurdiak posted:

Post credits scene is going to be The Rock as Mister Mind.

Yeah, him or Wallace Shawn. :shrug:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Im sure the man who made sucker punch wasnt the reason for the male gazing of WW and the Amazonians.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sucker Punch actually did not have a lot of male gaze

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I liked the look of Shazam and Aquaman was alright but I hope they have some ridiculous leviathan monsters in it. Saw the Titans trailer for the first time and :wtc:

Rhyno posted:

I hope it does well. I hope all comic book films do well because I have loved comic books for 30 years.

gently caress yeah!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It seriously was. I liked the Dark Knight but I feel like it was seriously overrated because of Ledger’s death, and also created a lot of obnoxious Joker fans.

I used to work with a guy who said that TDK was the closest he's come to a religious experience.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
TDK is okay but, and i've been sayin this from da start, it's mostly because the joker scenes are entertaining.

The rest of the movie is about a boring batman crashing into cars with his billionaire toys and poo poo. Then he solves all his problems with a deus ex SUPER SONAR THAT CAN FIND JOKER ANYWHERE IN THE CITY and then the people on the boats are all angels who are willing to die for eachother and ughghhh

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Zzulu posted:

TDK is okay but, and i've been sayin this from da start, it's mostly because the joker scenes are entertaining.

The rest of the movie is about a boring batman crashing into cars with his billionaire toys and poo poo. Then he solves all his problems with a deus ex SUPER SONAR THAT CAN FIND JOKER ANYWHERE IN THE CITY and then the people on the boats are all angels who are willing to die for eachother and ughghhh

Batman solved his problems the Batman way, having better toys than everyone else.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't even like TDK that much but the boat scene is a representation of the fact that the Joker's war to destroy the soul of Gotham has failed.

And then TDKR ruins all that anyway, rip

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I think it's worth it for the "let her go" scene alone.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the Nolan trilogy is a series of Batman movies about a guy who is both really bad at being Batman and wants to quit being Batman at every possible opportunity

like in a vacuum Begins is fine and TDK is good but TDKR really shits on the whole thing

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I was pretty hyped for Aquaman and Shazam but after those trailers Aquaman looks like poo poo. I think I can already tell the whole plot just from watching it. The CGI looked OK but didn't wow me. And, man, holy poo poo with the constant one liners. Eye rollers all the way around. No thanks. Not sure what i was expecting but I was really hoping they'd do something a little different with this one. If the reviews are good, I'll check it out.

Shazam looks pretty perfect to me - Big meets My Bodyguard and Superman basically - and I thought the trailer hit all the marks. Not sure what everyone's issue with the costume is all about. I thought it looked great. Everything looked great and it looks like something my 7 year old will like.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blockhouse posted:

the Nolan trilogy is a series of Batman movies about a guy who is both really bad at being Batman and wants to quit being Batman at every possible opportunity

like in a vacuum Begins is fine and TDK is good but TDKR really shits on the whole thing

I mean the point of the trilogy is that being Batman is a bad thing that shouldn't be needed or desired. I'm fine with that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

I mean the point of the trilogy is that being Batman is a bad thing that shouldn't be needed or desired. I'm fine with that.

Letting Bruce gently caress off and have a happy ending with no repercussions after shoving the Batman job off onto someone else completely torpedoes that sentiment

It also fails at making Batman look like some kind of terrible burden when he immediately wants to drop it so he can have a shot at a woman who isn't interested in him anymore.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 23, 2018

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I'd put even odds on James Gunn being rehired by the end of the summer if not earlier.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Arist posted:

I don't even like TDK that much but the boat scene is a representation of the fact that the Joker's war to destroy the soul of Gotham has failed.

Everyone gets that, but it was lame as hell. There's no way parents and family members wouldn't blow up the prisonboat to protect eachother

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zzulu posted:

Everyone gets that, but it was lame as hell. There's no way parents and family members wouldn't blow up the prisonboat to protect eachother

Voting for it's one thing, but pushing the button isn't so easy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
To be clear I think "Batman as horrible tragic burden" is something that can be done, and has been done many times in various media effectively.

I just think the Nolan movies are awful at it because Nolan-Bruce is kind of an unlikable flakey jackass.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

ashpanash posted:

I'd put even odds on James Gunn being rehired by the end of the summer if not earlier.

Or it getting canceled outright. Bautista sounds angry enough to quit altogether.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Voting for it's one thing, but pushing the button isn't so easy.

Play that scene out in today's world and it's a loving race to see which one blows up the other as soon as they learn that they can, much less that they have to

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

MorgaineDax posted:

Or it getting canceled outright. Bautista sounds angry enough to quit altogether.

I bet Disney PR is scrambling to find a way to rehire Gunn that somehow doesn't conflict with the statement they made on Friday

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Make Batman The Crow. When he is killed someone else rises up as The Batman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Make Batman The Crow. When he is killed someone else rises up as The Batman.

That has happened every time he does.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Aphrodite posted:

That has happened every time he does.

Yeah but make it someone unrelated who doesn't know what's even happening.

He just dies, becomes a bat, flies immediately through a random window and if you see it oh poo poo now you're Batman.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

He just dies, becomes a bat, flies immediately through a random window and if you see it oh poo poo now you're Batman.

Was Dracula the original batman?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

ashpanash posted:

Was Dracula the original batman?

Let's see:
Eccentric
Wealthy
Bachelor
Slavishly Devoted Manservant
Local Celebrity

I think you might be on to something here.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
dracula collects girls not underage boys tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zzulu posted:

Cynicism is the only valid ideology for a movie to express, got it

• Locked thread