Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Father Wendigo posted:

Kimball came, saw, and then hosed everything up repeatedly for years. His stupid PR stunt at the dam might as well be a desperate attempt to ensure the public that the lights coming from the kitchen are merely Aurora Borealis. If the second battle of Hoover Dam ended up being won by some dumbass in a party hat who showed up out of nowhere with an army of killer robots, the public would crucify him burn him alive on a pile of tires.

House's plan is pretty much to make it his "Mission Accomplished" moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

Maybe that's why you don't like Fallout 4 because it's about building a network of small sustainable farming communities and hauling garbage.

Also there's that bug where nothing in your workshop counted towards the settlement and the weird hard caps on scrap.

Lots of super questionable decisions. On the plus side I got to spend a lot of time building a power armour museum when the game came out so that was cool.

8one6 posted:

Remember to take the fusion core out of the armor when you're not using it. NPCs (especially your settlers) will jump into available power armor during a fight if it has a fusion core installed and then abandon it wherever the gently caress they are when the fight ends and it can be a bitch finding it again as the game only shows you the marker for the last set you personally wore.

Wait they drop out of it after? gently caress, that's kinda lovely. A settlement of people in power armour would be cool.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 23, 2018

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The Zombie Guy posted:

Yes, I found it, thanks. I try to be thorough with my searches after everything has stopped trying to murder me. I know Elder Scrolls and Fallout games tend to have awesome stuff hidden away in the oddest places. (Fin Gleam in Oblivion, anyone?)

Remember to take the fusion core out of the armor when you're not using it. NPCs (especially your settlers) will jump into available power armor during a fight if it has a fusion core installed and then abandon it wherever the gently caress they are when the fight ends and it can be a bitch finding it again as the game only shows you the marker for the last set you personally wore.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

Maybe that's why you don't like Fallout 4 because it's about building a network of small sustainable farming communities and hauling garbage.

There's no reason to actually do any of that either.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Avalerion posted:

It's fun

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Have we discussed yet just how stupid Caesar is for insisting that a true warrior fights using Hanzo Steel™ a machete? I feel like The Legion was doomed to losethhe 2nd Battle for Hoover Dam even if the Courier wasn't involved. Without the Courier I feel like Benny would have pulled off the independent Vegas scam with Yes Man and the NCR would have crushed the Legion... again. Eventually the brain tumors would have gotten Caesar anyways even if he managed to maintain the three way stalemate.

I mean, in a post-apocalyptic world where there's shittons of sand and grit everywhere and guns are likely to jam after a few clips it makes sense to train your dudes in close quarters combat, I think Caesar just forgot that not all of his troops are Kenshiro.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Avalerion posted:

All video games are meaningless diversions. Get over it!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea, but I wouldn't argue that's what the game is about - playing falloutcraft is completely optional, I think a lot of us just slapped down some beds in goodspring and called it a day. :D

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Depended on the settlement tbh.

If it wasn't a place that was particularly interesting to build on i'd just slap down some beds and food. If it was interesting i'd build a proper little settlement. The drive in is particularly good.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bremen posted:

My problem with the institute wasn't how they acted, it was that the game just decides to never allow you to bring it up. In New Vegas if you don't like House, you can complain to him and he'll defend himself, and maybe you'll buy his justification or maybe you wont, but it's at least an option to talk about. Fallout 4? It usually even doesn't let you talk to the people about that. I usually can't even talk to the institute about at least considering the synths might be conscious, or the brotherhood or railroad about trying negotiation, or things like that. Or if I do, it's a half hearted explanation that the PC doesn't even get the option to disagree with. I found the morality of FO4 interesting on the surface but was repeatedly frustrated that the game's way of adding moral ambiguity was apparently to have the protagonist stick his fingers in his ears and refuse to think about things.

New Vegas, love it or hate it, definitely didn't have "lack of dialog options" as a sin.

I think the crowning moment in this regard is at the very end where you confront your son as he is dying in bed and you're walking over his soon-to-be corpse to get the codes you need to utterly annihilate his life's work, he asks you "under what righteous pretense have you justified this atrocity?" This is the chance for you to put your motivations into words. Why did you choose the allies you did? What moral force drove you to betray your own son? Are synths people? Is pre-war tech dangerous? Were the abductions and experiments too morally repugnant for you to stomach? This is both an excellent story moment and a great roleplaying opportunity.

...Aaaaand your choices are "there's no other way", "I just want to watch this place burn", "the greater good" and "are you seriously surprised you have enemies?", each equating to a one sentence response.

What a way to squander the narrative climax of your game.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

blowing up the prydwen with deacon and tinker tom did own tho imo

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Berke Negri posted:

blowing up the prydwen with deacon and tinker tom did own tho imo

100% best part of Fallout 4 yes

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

But there's a cat on board...

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

that cat knew what it signed up for.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Also cats suck, get a dog, morons.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Avalerion posted:

But there's a cat on board...

I sided with the Institute at one point (only one playthrough but you can do most of the game world before the branch point) because Deacon straight blasted the cat on the Prydwen.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The cat was a synth anyway

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Have we discussed yet just how stupid Caesar is for insisting that a true warrior fights using Hanzo Steel™ a machete? I feel like The Legion was doomed to losethhe 2nd Battle for Hoover Dam even if the Courier wasn't involved. Without the Courier I feel like Benny would have pulled off the independent Vegas scam with Yes Man and the NCR would have crushed the Legion... again. Eventually the brain tumors would have gotten Caesar anyways even if he managed to maintain the three way stalemate.

I believe the Legion, uhh, credo is that recruits are handed a machete or a spear and told 'git gud lol' and if they survive long enough they're promoted and handed a gun or at least a nicer spear. This is why Legion hit squads will carry high-end firearms.

quote:

Did the 200+ years of stasis fry House's brain? His plan is almost as dumb as Caesar's. He thinks that breaking his treaty with the NCR and forcing them to sign a new treaty at gunpoint will result in Kimball getting voted out of office and the NCR citizens just paying the extortion money for the water and electricity on top of continuing to frequent Vegas when things "calm down"? The minute General Oliver gets back to California (dead or alive) and people find out what happened the entire NCR is going to come down on Vegas. House's army of upgraded securitrons isn't going to be able to protect Vegas from an entire nation-state. If the NCR was able to defeat several squads of BoS paladins armed with Gatling lasers, Gauss rifles and T-51 Power Armor using basic ballistic weapons and explosives then I think they would be able to handle a few thousand securitrons if they put their minds to it.

House's plan is, in the short term, to survive, and while you can debate the merits of his long-term technotopian dreams he isn't really breaking the treaty so much as he's defending himself from the NCR that was already planning on murdering him (see: the NCR route where you're told to go murder him). Making a war so unpopular and expensive that the NCR public wants to stop spending money on it is probably his only chance at survival.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Vinylshadow posted:

The cat was a synth anyway

So?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Wolfsheim posted:

I believe the Legion, uhh, credo is that recruits are handed a machete or a spear and told 'git gud lol' and if they survive long enough they're promoted and handed a gun or at least a nicer spear. This is why Legion hit squads will carry high-end firearms.

Someone in the Legion also specifically explains that they mostly stick to simpler firearms (breach load or bolt action, mostly, along with some lever action weapons) because they are less complicated to maintain.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

house saying cats were extinct was really dumb so im glad they didnt stick with that cause there's not really any basis to it

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

The Legion doesn't mind using technology for its own ends, but they believe that you shouldn't use it as a crutch and that everyone must prove that they can survive without it before they can be trusted to use it. Recruits get lawnmower blade machetes and primitive healing powder, but experienced veterans are packing plasma guns and Caesar is using the best pre-war medical technology money can buy.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Berke Negri posted:

house saying cats were extinct was really dumb so im glad they didnt stick with that cause there's not really any basis to it

A ghoul mentioned that they were extinct in 2; I think that's the only reason House comments on it.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Father Wendigo posted:

Kimball's ​popularity is already in the shitter when the game begins. The campaign to secure Hoover Dam has been stalemated by tribals in sports equipment wielding pointy sticks and lawnmower blades for almost half a decade, and mismanagement is so rife that they kept reassigning troops off guard duty at the NCRCF until the prisoners managed to take the facility with nothing but a crate of dynamite and sheer numbers. Speaking of those prisoners, the railroad that promised to allow commerce to safely traverse Nevada and was to be built with prison labor is effectively on hiatus for the foreseeable future.

Kimball came, saw, and then hosed everything up repeatedly for years. His stupid PR stunt at the dam might as well be a desperate attempt to ensure the public that the lights coming from the kitchen are merely Aurora Borealis. If the second battle of Hoover Dam ended up being won by some dumbass in a party hat who showed up out of nowhere with an army of killer robots, the public would crucify him burn him alive on a pile of tires.

I would totally agree with all of that if the Courier chose the Independent Vegas ending. There is no recovering from the PR nightmare of losing years of blood and treasure to a pissed off mailman. While House's plan is to give Kimball a "Mission Accomplished" moment I feel it would turn into a Pearl Harbor moment instead. Remember, House's plan is to let the NCR win the battle for Hoover Dam then stab them in the back, stealing it out from under them. Any savy politician could capitalize from House's plan even if it isn't Kimball. The narrative is clear: the good and smart NCR defeated the Legion only to be betrayed by their friend and ally Robert House in the 11th hour! At the very least the NCR would refuse to let it's citizens go to New Vegas and they would never buy any of House's water and electricity. Vegas would wither and die leaving House the immortal technocrat of rumble and robots.

Edit: That would make a cool sequel. 50 years later Vegas is abandoned but dangerous as hell because it is full of half broken-down crazed securitrons. House has totally lost it, something having gone wrong with his immortality machine.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 23, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Keeshhound posted:

A ghoul mentioned that they were extinct in 2; I think that's the only reason House comments on it.

npcs in fallout 2 talk about owning living cats

you can talk to someone who is like oh yeah we ate all our cats but there's not really any reason to think that wasnt localized

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Did the 200+ years of stasis fry House's brain? His plan is almost as dumb as Caesar's. He thinks that breaking his treaty with the NCR and forcing them to sign a new treaty at gunpoint will result in Kimball getting voted out of office and the NCR citizens just paying the extortion money for the water and electricity on top of continuing to frequent Vegas when things "calm down"? The minute General Oliver gets back to California (dead or alive) and people find out what happened the entire NCR is going to come down on Vegas. House's army of upgraded securitrons isn't going to be able to protect Vegas from an entire nation-state. If the NCR was able to defeat several squads of BoS paladins armed with Gatling lasers, Gauss rifles and T-51 Power Armor using basic ballistic weapons and explosives then I think they would be able to handle a few thousand securitrons if they put their minds to it.

I mean, no I think that a few nerds in power armour probably are significantly less of a threat than thousands of killbots.

Power armour is good but it hardly makes you unkillable. A massive army of robots would be a serious threat to both the NCR and the legion, especailly in the NCR's weakened state.

Yes they might be able to take Vegas if they wanted to, but it would cost them dearly in resources, to the point that they might just say it isn't worth it, that's nominally the weakness of a democracy, you need public support to keep throwing lives at a problem, and it's not like America hasn't demonstrated this multiple times in the recent past.

You could perhaps says that it is perhaps more of a contemporary view of the weakness of a democracy, than perhaps the NCR might be, but that would be entirely in-keeping with House being 200 years old, wouldn't it?

The NCR would have two options, either throw massive numbers of lives away trying to secure Vegas to... very little end really if they have to destroy all the robots to do it and it's entirely possible House would destroy the dam as well if they threatened to take it. Or they can just accept that they have to pay for it.

Or I suppose, stop expanding east, which is probably not really an option for them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 23, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Berke Negri posted:

npcs in fallout 2 talk about owning living cats

you can talk to someone who is like oh yeah we ate all our cats but there's not really any reason to think that wasnt localized

I thought they all prefaced those stories with "this was back when cats were still around."

Either way, my point was that House saying they were extinct was more of a nod to those NPCs than an "all cats are extinct, everywhere, this is canon." I mean, how would he know?

Although, it would fit his character to just assume that because he couldn't find one, they must no longer exist.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I would totally agree with all of that if the Courier chose the Independent Vegas ending. There is no recovering from the PR nightmare of losing years of blood and treasure to a pissed off mailman. While House's plan is to give Kimball a "Mission Accomplished" moment I feel it would turn into a Pearl Harbor moment instead. Remember, House's plan is to let the NCR win the battle for Hoover Dam then stab them in the back, stealing it out from under them. Any savy politician could capitalize from House's plan even if it isn't Kimball. The narrative is clear: the good and smart NCR defeated the Legion only to be betrayed by their friend and ally Robert House in the 11th hour! At the very least the NCR would refuse to let it's citizens go to New Vegas and they would never buy any of House's water and electricity. Vegas would wither and die leaving House the immortal technocrat of rumble and robots.

Edit: That would make a cool sequel. 50 years later Vegas is abandoned but dangerous as hell because it is full of half broken-down crazed securitrons. House has totally lost it, something having gone wrong with his immortality machine.

How would they enforce that though? Build a giant wall around New Vegas and just hope Mr. House/The Courier and their army of giant death robots are ok with that? Not to mention they'd lose the power from the Hoover Dam, severely weakening them. Either way a lot of the NPCs you meet aren't NCR settlers, they're either wandering traders, natives to the Mojave, or from unaffiliated factions like the Followers of the Apocalypse. New Vegas would be just fine.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Keeshhound posted:

I thought they all prefaced those stories with "this was back when cats were still around."

nah its like some young woman is like "yeah i had a cat when i was a kid but then we had a famine and everyone ate all the cats" and this is like 100 years after the war while npcs in another town refer to having a pet cat

i think the only animal implicitly extinct are horses but that's never explicitly said in game either

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Berke Negri posted:

nah its like some young woman is like "yeah i had a cat when i was a kid but then we had a famine and everyone ate all the cats" and this is like 100 years after the war while npcs in another town refer to having a pet cat

i think the only animal implicitly extinct are horses but that's never explicitly said in game either

Poor Freckles, thought of giant ants and died

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

Poor Freckles, thought of giant ants and died

IMO the Legion would be a way better faction if they dropped the rape-torture camps and replaced them with giant ant taming camps. Can you imagine chopped up Corvega chariots pulled by giant ants!?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

CharlestonJew posted:

How would they enforce that though? Build a giant wall around New Vegas and just hope Mr. House/The Courier and their army of giant death robots are ok with that? Not to mention they'd lose the power from the Hoover Dam, severely weakening them. Either way a lot of the NPCs you meet aren't NCR settlers, they're either wandering traders, natives to the Mojave, or from unaffiliated factions like the Followers of the Apocalypse. New Vegas would be just fine.

NCR tourism is pretty explicitly the economic lifeblood of the Strip, and House's robot army can be subverted without facing the entirety of it directly (hence the Independent ending.) It seems to me that if sufficiently motivated, the NCR could, if not necessarily win back Vegas outright, inflict at least as much expense on House as he could on them by kicking them out of the Mojave with the Securitrons.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

honestly fallout lore is dodgy as hell even going back to 1 where the master and lieutenant gives you contradictory explanations for why mutations occur (master says radiation, lieutenant says FEV from some leak in mariposa which doesn't really make a lot of sense) because the creators seemingly were in disagreement on a lot of things, this continues on in 2 in a lot of places

which is why avellone set down to do the fallout bible to try and consolidate a coherent background for van buren but since that got canceled it never got finished so even it contradicts itself in places

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I don't think an already war-weary republic would be too keen to the pitch of "I know these past 5 years fighting tribals in sports equipment have been rough, but due to another unforseen Turn of events I now need you to fight an army of killer robots that poo poo rockets because the guy who runs New Vegas says I'm not competent enough to govern it. The nerve of that guy!" outside of the hawkiest of the war Hawks. Would the public swallow starting new-game+ mode of the campaign to tame the Mojave given how it ended the last two times, or just pay a little extra and not send their kids to die in the desert?

As for preventing people from going to The Strip, the mega-rich are already a privileged class in the NCR. The Strip is a hot new toy, and trying to take it away would just result in lobbying money moving to different senators.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
House is attached to the Strip, but there's little reason why Joe Sixpack from the NCR should be. The NCR opens a few casinos in their core territories, or even just has a major recession cutting into discretionary travel budgets, and he could be looking at sizable loss of business. See what happened to Atlantic City IRL once gambling got legalized in more places.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it's also the main bastion of civilization in the mojave, so... everyone who lives there is a reason to care. They need to buy stuff, have stuff to sell etc.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So you can blow it up without a guilty conscience knowing that it'll just be downloaded into a new body - maybe not a cat this time - and sent to one of your Settlements

Pity they didn't have mixups in the Synth room and suddenly a humanoid synth starts mooing and the Brahmin start screaming about intruders

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CharlestonJew posted:

At first I thought this was still about the cats.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

cat in a fridge with a pre-war safe with jet and a pipe gun in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it's also the main bastion of civilization in the mojave, so... everyone who lives there is a reason to care. They need to buy stuff, have stuff to sell etc.

If you side with House doesn't he end up kicking out everyone in and around New Vegas that isn't a rich tourist immediately after he takes over Hoover Dam? Besides, what does New Vegas have to offer for trade? It is full of robots and gambling. What use is that to the surrounding towns? Yeah they got electricity and water now but they are charging way more than anyone can afford. Places like Jacob's Town are much better trading partners than Vegas. Without the NCR stuffing House's coffers he is nothing.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 23, 2018