Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the hard drive i was using for my hacked wii u died so I'm gonna be downloading a whole bunch of stuff whenever i get a new one

if you don't hear from me again, gently caress the cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That feel when the Pinkertons are after you for downloading a Mr. Driller ROM

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Snooze Cruise posted:

That feel when the Pinkertons are after you for downloading a Mr. Driller ROM

drat, it was a bad idea to download the entire mr driller franchise except for mr driller online for the xbox 360, the game critically panned for just using the same sprites as the gamecube game developed by a different team and for softlocking xboxes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm a big proponent of an Orphan Works bill. the last major push came in 2009-ish but I hope it can make a second go-around.

the idea is that if a company doesn't make a good faith effort to show that they're using their IP, it falls into the public domain. so a shell/holding company can't just sit on an IP forever and never do anything with it.

It would never impact Nintendo or Disney but it would end up rescuing a ton of lost media and essentially make abandonware legal instead of "legally wrong, morally right"

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm a big proponent of an Orphan Works bill. the last major push came in 2009-ish but I hope it can make a second go-around.

the idea is that if a company doesn't make a good faith effort to show that they're using their IP, it falls into the public domain. so a shell/holding company can't just sit on an IP forever and never do anything with it.

It would never impact Nintendo or Disney but it would end up rescuing a ton of lost media and essentially make abandonware legal instead of "legally wrong, morally right"

Lol at something like this ever passing with the way political funding works.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

doesn't that already exist in some form with movies, i know that some late 80's/early 90's superhero movies were made and never released to theaters just so the people who held the license could continue to hold the license. so, not a particularly effective form of combatting ip squatting

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Ah, force Nintendo and Square's hands to get Geno into Smash, I like your scam buddy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Ah, force Nintendo and Square's hands to get Geno into Smash, I like your scam buddy

I won't rest until this happens.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
legal push to get the shadow hearts ip into the hands of a company that isn't a manufacturer of resorts and slot machines that cares so little that they didn't even make a shadow hearts pachinko machine

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

The Colonel posted:

legal push to get the shadow hearts ip into the hands of a company that isn't a manufacturer of resorts and slot machines that cares so little that they didn't even make a shadow hearts pachinko machine

Agree but also at this point it's a moral duty to pirate, and enjoy, Shadow Hearts.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/nocontxtrockman/status/1017808704698187777

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Lol at something like this ever passing with the way political funding works.
Oh it has a chance at passing because companies would theoretically like this too -- it means they could prey on independent artists' IP if the bill is messily-worded (as bills tend to be).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cowcaster posted:

doesn't that already exist in some form with movies, i know that some late 80's/early 90's superhero movies were made and never released to theaters just so the people who held the license could continue to hold the license. so, not a particularly effective form of combatting ip squatting

The best was the really lovely Wheel of Time pilot they made for 200 bucks and aired on FX at 3am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZOCCEuROPk

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Cowcaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcpmM-eTESI

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
You see now if someone had wanted Nintendo to do things like put their library of old games up on Steam and things like that; then they should have been wishing and praying for the Switch to be a monumental failure. Like failure on a level that surpasses the Wii U that would have caused the company to drastically structurally reform on all fronts.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Viewtiful Jew posted:

You see now if someone had wanted Nintendo to do things like put their library of old games up on Steam and things like that; then they should have been wishing and praying for the Switch to be a monumental failure. Like failure on a level that surpasses the Wii U that would finally cause the company to drastically structurally reform on all fronts.

i admit i was in the camp that believed that the switch was going to be nintendo's sega saturn

instead it was nintendo's, uh, nintendo wii

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think it's possible to recreate something as catastrophic as the sega saturn unintentionally

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

They actually did though, it was the last Shadow Hearts related thing released.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
"what do you mean it's out now, they'd never do that without telling anyone, that would be incredibly stupid"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cowcaster posted:

Except it has more than three good games

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
This kid I knew had a Sega Saturn and Panzer Dragoon and NIGHTS were cool games.

Shame about the rest of it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Cowcaster posted:

i admit i was in the camp that believed that the switch was going to be nintendo's sega saturn

I feel like I heard something that indicated that this was most of the industry's prediction as well. Like, Bandai Namco coming out and saying that the Switch was more popular than they had expected and that they were now working on getting more Tales of games onto the system.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Snooze Cruise posted:

How many articles of clothing do you have to have on for it to be considered an outfit. Like, if someone is just wearing socks that isn't an outfit, but if someone is wearing underwear and socks, is that an outfit?

An outfit to me needs to have something distinctive and noticeably different from other outfits. So if they're just plain white gym socks no, but if they're crazy, twisting, colorful stockings or something than just them alone would count.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

Except it has more than three good games

i was under the impression it had three good games, plus all of the indie titles and ports of games that were already available on ps4/xbox/pc for the past 3 years while the wii u was floundering, but then again i haven't been keeping up with the switch

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

suuma posted:

This kid I knew had a Sega Saturn and Panzer Dragoon and NIGHTS were cool games.

Shame about the rest of it.

the saturn had a decently big library of great games

all of them were japan exclusive and nobody even bought them there

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

i was under the impression it had three good games, plus all of the indie titles and ports of games that were already available on ps4/xbox/pc for the past 3 years while the wii u was floundering, but then again i haven't been keeping up with the switch

the first few months of the switch's life had a pretty consistent lineup of big exclusive titles but the big thing in its favor is that unlike the wii, portability is a gimmick that doesn't really wear off

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's a fair cop

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The Saturn having exclusive content of certain third-party games ended up backfiring when the future re-releases and ports of said games were just the PSX versions like Mega Man 8 and Symphony of the Night.

Granted said exclusive stuff like the extra SOTN areas were kinda poop compared to most other areas of the castle.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if anything i'm glad the switch exists because it's causing more rereleases of last gen jrpgs that i've wanted to play but don't want to hook up my ps3 or buy a vita for

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Giving up on (probably) final boss of Telsagrad for now. Jesus if you're going to do bosses where one hit puts you back at the start at least don't make ones with incredibly long cycles before you can even hurt them and don't make the difference between success and failure a single pixel.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'm pretty sure I will transcend this mortal coil and attain nirvana if Nintendo can figure out a way to put Yakuza on the switch.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'd even settle on a kunio game made by the Yakuza guys.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the problem with third party ports to the saturn is that the saturn was a 2d powerhouse since it was almost literally the same as sega's 2d arcade hardware, but since everything about it was functionally completely different to other 3d systems it was a pain in the rear end to program original games for it, let alone bust your rear end coding existing ones to run properly

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel posted:

if anything i'm glad the switch exists because it's causing more rereleases of last gen jrpgs that i've wanted to play but don't want to hook up my ps3 or buy a vita for

rorona on the go

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

i don't think it's possible to recreate something as catastrophic as the sega saturn unintentionally

no one starts out making a sega saturn...

gray instead of classic blue. blasphemer

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 23, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The White Dragon posted:

no one starts out making a sega saturn...

i mean actually you kind of do, it's one of the most infamously difficult pieces of hardware to program games for ever released in the past two and a half decades and all of it is because of how differently it handles everything about 3d rendering and cpu cores

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

:hai:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The White Dragon posted:

The blue looks garbage in this game due to the texture on the textboxes and the lack of any gradient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's gonna look bad either way without the old font

• Locked thread