Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Soaring isn't a big loss since its biggest use was being an HM replacement, without HMs it was pointless. I still miss the Dexnav.

I would rather them bring back both HMs and soaring, than lose soaring forever :(. Flying around the map was really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm playing Platinum for the first time and it reminds me why I don't want HMs to come back. Having to design my team around having a flying and water type of frustrating, especially given the Pokemon selection in that gen.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

How about having two water types because you need surf/waterfall/dive/whirpool. :psyduck:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

All they have to do is merge the abilities of Dive, Whirlpool, and Waterfall into Surf - make it an all-in-one water traversal HM

Strength should also be able to shatter boulders and allow you to climb rocky walls

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ShadeofBlue posted:

I would rather them bring back both HMs and soaring, than lose soaring forever :(. Flying around the map was really cool.

well I hope they crush your dreams because HMs are the loving worst

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vinylshadow posted:

All they have to do is merge the abilities of Dive, Whirlpool, and Waterfall into Surf - make it an all-in-one water traversal HM

Strength should also be able to shatter boulders and allow you to climb rocky walls

All they had to do was removing HMs because they were a horrible idea since Gen 1. It's still baffling to me that it took 20 years for Game Freak to get something so blatantly obvious.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

you could even keep HMs but give pokemon a non-battle move slot and don't restrict them. then you can go hog fuckin wild with HMs for all I care

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Poor Tropius, waiting for HMs to come back so he is relevant again

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

just give every pokemon overworld abilities that match what hms theyve been able to learn in the past. like so everything that could previously learn surf can now just do it without knowing the move

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Poor Tropius, waiting for HMs to come back so he is relevant again

Tropius is cool and so always relevant, hth.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

HMs wouldn't have been as offensive to me if any of them besides Surf and sometimes Waterfall were worth using in battle.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Funky Valentine posted:

HMs wouldn't have been as offensive to me if any of them besides Surf and sometimes Waterfall were worth using in battle.

depending on when you get it, Strength can be pretty decent. Rock Climb was...okay.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

sharrrk posted:

just give every pokemon overworld abilities that match what hms theyve been able to learn in the past. like so everything that could previously learn surf can now just do it without knowing the move

The Pokemon Ranger games even do this!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

once spirit fusion is a thing the trainer will be able to surf or cut or whatever. natural progression

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Silver Falcon posted:

The Pokemon Ranger games even do this!

Pokemon Ranger is a completely different thing though, there the entire point is to actually get Pokemon to clear obstacles in the overworld and then release them, instead of having Pokemon take a slot in your party because you absolutely need that one HM move to proceed.

Man I want a new Ranger, that franchise was good. I guess the Switch wouldn't work quite as well for it as the DS did though.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Cut is competitive when you first get it, but it's the inability to replace it easily that makes it crippling long-term.
Fly is relatively powerful, but bad in multiplayer.
Surf has always been amazing.
Strength has the same problems as Cut, just later in the game.
Flash is outclassed in its niche by Double Team.
Whirlpool has a unique niche among TMs, it's just not a valued niche.
Waterfall was an outclassed signature move before becoming an outclassed HM. Now it's different enough to be worth using.
Rock Smash went from being an earlygame tm you got too late, to having Cut's problems instead.
Dive has the same battle niche as Fly, and so the same problems.
Defog was basically the same as Flash - but less useful in battle.. But in the new meta, it's suddenly very valuable.
Rock Climb has a cool concept - an easily available Normal move that can cause confusion. Trouble is, they balanced it against Strength instead of Return.

Personally, I think they should all become TMs.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I agree with all of that except the meta Defog is useful in is not the one most players have to worry about.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

Pokemon Ranger is a completely different thing though, there the entire point is to actually get Pokemon to clear obstacles in the overworld and then release them, instead of having Pokemon take a slot in your party because you absolutely need that one HM move to proceed.

Man I want a new Ranger, that franchise was good. I guess the Switch wouldn't work quite as well for it as the DS did though.

Well yeah. My point was the concept of Pokemon having field moves already exists.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Silver Falcon posted:

It's not the level curve that's important. With the EXP share on in Ultra Moon, I was ahead of the level curve. Yet I still wasn't steamrolling everything and had a fair few difficult encounters. The difference is, in USUSM, opposing trainers don't have poo poo for IVs and actually have any EVs to speak of, so their stats are much higher than their level would indicate.

USUM actually has solid EV/IVs on trainers? That explains why some of them are hitting much harder than I'd expect for being a couple levels below me.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

For the entirety of the series, trainers had IVs on their Pokemon depending on their class (so Youngsters always had 0IV Pokemon, while Elite Four members had 31IV Pokemon, while only Pokemon in postgame facilities had EVs (usually 255/255 split or 170/170/170). Starting in Gen 7, trainers now have EVs depending on their class, which can be separate from IVs.

31 - Rising Star Ian
======
Pokemon: 1
Psyduck (Lv. 12) (Nature: Modest) (Moves: Water Gun/(None)/(None)/(None)) IVs: 30/15/15/30/15/30 EVs: 0/0/0/252/0/0

Hau's starter, for instance, has 15IVs, but by the end of the game, it'll have 31IVs and proper EVs, so it scales appropriately. As the games have gone on, it's not been strictly dependant on class, it depends on where you are in the game, so early trainers will have lower IVs, but trainers of the same class you'll meet later have higher IVs.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

also, wellp. I've been having a reasonably easy time of the game so far. Sometimes a totem pokemon has taken a few tries, such as marowak and araquanid. Until now.

I just met ultra necrozuma

:stonk:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nth Doctor posted:

Still doesn't make K-Golem any less awful. :colbert:

Done! Four codes remain, folks!

I wouldn't mind one, for what it's worth.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

also, wellp. I've been having a reasonably easy time of the game so far. Sometimes a totem pokemon has taken a few tries, such as marowak and araquanid. Until now.

I just met ultra necrozuma

:stonk:

Did you get a chance to get any attacks off? If so, you did better than me.

If not... don't worry, lots of people met the same fate.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

I basically had to spam a few X Sp. Defs until it switched to physical attacks, at which point I moved on to Roto Boosts, and finally was swole enough on one of my teammates to attempt to KO it

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BlazetheInferno posted:

Did you get a chance to get any attacks off? If so, you did better than me.

If not... don't worry, lots of people met the same fate.

Not a single attack. My entire team is level 50.

I think I'm gonna need to grind.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

No need, you can get a Focus Sash for beating all the trainers on Poni Wilds and the Toxic TM on Aether Paradise. Just cheese the bullshit and move on.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

I ground all the way up to level 60. It still came down to my Primarina in the end, and he wouldn't have survived a second hit :(

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Can I introduce you to our lord and savior Let's Snuggle Forever?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I used toxic then just spammed revives until it was over.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I don't remember having a particular problem with him. I think I just threw Stitch the Sableye at him, burned him, and let Stitch be his surprisingly bulky, Prankster Recover having self.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the first time I fought Ultra Necrozma it OHKOd my first four Pokemon and I was like "maybe this is just one of those boss battles you're SUPPOSED to lose??" but I always way overlevel my starter and was able to go toe to toe with it. still had to revive my darling Primarina once to put the fucker down, though

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Charlie Bobson posted:

but how do you find out what pokemon you can catch if you have repels on and never find them??

also I somehow always end up massively underleveled for the elite 4 despite fighting every random encounter and trainer i find, so I'm incredibly impressed by the people that avoid those and still manage to win

There's this amazing website called Google where you can type in any question and it answers it for you.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

SirSamVimes posted:

or get a Drapion from the Ultra Holes, they are so good against that

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

There's this amazing website called Google where you can type in any question and it answers it for you.

yeah but stopping playing every time you enter a new area to google all the pokemon there sucks

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Solumin posted:

I'm playing Platinum for the first time and it reminds me why I don't want HMs to come back. Having to design my team around having a flying and water type of frustrating, especially given the Pokemon selection in that gen.

Oh hey, I'm playing Platinum for the first time too, and had a similar sinking feeling when I remembered you can only use TMs once.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MightyPretenders posted:

Cut is competitive when you first get it, but it's the inability to replace it easily that makes it crippling long-term.
Waterfall was an outclassed signature move before becoming an outclassed HM. Now it's different enough to be worth using.
Rock Smash went from being an earlygame tm you got too late, to having Cut's problems instead.
Defog was basically the same as Flash - but less useful in battle.. But in the new meta, it's suddenly very valuable.
Rock Climb has a cool concept - an easily available Normal move that can cause confusion. Trouble is, they balanced it against Strength instead of Return.

Fly would be as useful and beloved as surf if it took one move instead of two.

But instead Gamefreak decided to kneecap it into oblivion.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Jim the Nickel posted:

Oh hey, I'm playing Platinum for the first time too, and had a similar sinking feeling when I remembered you can only use TMs once.

God, extremely this. I was hoping to find an action replay code or something to make them infinite use. No such luck.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wZpnCk_Ldw

my most misplaced effort ever

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Charlie Bobson posted:

yeah but stopping playing every time you enter a new area to google all the pokemon there sucks

You kind of still want to because good luck guessing there’s a 1% chance for whatever to spawn under the right conditions.

That said, I usually just plan out what pokemon I want to use then look up where they become avaliavle in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

MightyPretenders posted:

Lack of Surf in USUM is actually crippling for some water-types, cause it's locked to the post-game :saddowns: A Surf powered Aquaranid would fuckng obliterate all.

BlazetheInferno posted:

I ground all the way up to level 60. It still came down to my Primarina in the end, and he wouldn't have survived a second hit :(

Huh, I am entering the Vast Poni Canyon and my team is in the mid-50s, and I've been swapping out a lot. Maybe it's because I've been swapping out a lot, cause I've been feeding everyone beans so they can catch up easier, so they're all on Boosted Exp :v: