Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

https://www.wd40.com/img/WD-40_2000_uses.pdf

There must be something on this list that you do.

Nothing that it excels at. Most of the time i have some other can of random chem that does the job better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Nothing that it excels at. Most of the time i have some other can of random chem that does the job better.

even Removes depilatory wax from floors ?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

even Removes depilatory wax from floors ?

I always remove my gross hair filled waxes with Goo Gone because i love the orange smell.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The only worthwhile use i've ever found for WD40 is installing motorcycle grips.
It's really good for cleaning things like tar spots and tape residue off.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The only worthwhile use i've ever found for WD40 is installing motorcycle grips.

I use WD40 for wet sanding metal parts, for installing grips I've been using 1.7 tire lube, but can't find it in stock anywhere except in gallon bottles.

https://www.bobscycle.com/matrix-formula-8-tire-mounting-lube-16-ounce-bottle.html

Also works great on tires!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's a good chain cleaner for bikes, but bringing up chain cleaners is like talking about religion or oil.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I just use kerosene

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Gas/Diesel for cleaning, Wurth HHS-K for lubing.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Overhead at harbor freight today.

Husband. "oohhh I like that toolbox"
Wife "you need another toolbox like I need another tattoo"

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Only response: "Deal"

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
We're currently looking into these at work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8q3DZB_l6M

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That thing would erase my truck from existence entirely.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Ryobi Lithium+ 18V battery with a P117 charger. Charger showed a red light, plugged the battery in for like the second time ever, all the lights on the charger turned off. Busted charger?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yup, if it's out of warranty crack it open, there'll be a MOSFET with a hole in it on the board.

If it's in warranty take it back obviously.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Will Home Depot take care of it? I started a ticket with Ryobi last night and haven't heard anything.

Edit: they replied with a phone number to call for a replacement.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 23, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ryobis warranty process is known to be extremely lovely and you have to register all of your stuff online within 30 or 90 days or some dumb poo poo like that. You might just want to check Craigslist for a new or used charger they are very cheap. I sold a new one for 15 bucks a few months ago.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I heard the warnings and did that the day I bought the tools.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Rectal Placenta posted:

I don't even want to know what this costs (yes I do).

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Rectal Placenta posted:

I love the completely inneffective attempt at dust/vapor collection with the shopvac nozzle. Buy some fume extraction, dust collection you rich idiots.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

I don't even want to know what this costs (yes I do).

250,000 is the cheapest I've seen so far. A lot of the nicer ones are half a million or more.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

Will Home Depot take care of it? I started a ticket with Ryobi last night and haven't heard anything.

Edit: they replied with a phone number to call for a replacement.

Update: They are shipping me a new one. 7-10 days. Ugh. Told me to recycle the old one, so I'm going to crack it open and see if I can fix it.

Edit: oh, right, I know jack poo poo about circuits.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 23, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rectal Placenta posted:

250,000 is the cheapest I've seen so far. A lot of the nicer ones are half a million or more.

Seems reasonable for something that is pure witchcraft.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Uthor posted:

Update: They are shipping me a new one. 7-10 days. Ugh. Told me to recycle the old one, so I'm going to crack it open and see if I can fix it.

Edit: oh, right, I know jack poo poo about circuits.

Doesn't matter, unscrew the case and look for a little black plastic square on the board that has a tiny hole blasted out of it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

BraveUlysses posted:

Ryobis warranty process is known to be extremely lovely and you have to register all of your stuff online within 30 or 90 days or some dumb poo poo like that. You might just want to check Craigslist for a new or used charger they are very cheap. I sold a new one for 15 bucks a few months ago.

I went to the Home Depot I purchased my Ryobi battery from to replace a year old bad battery under warranty. Home Depot is a 25 minute drive for me, and told to call Ryobi. I got home, was on the phone for 15 minutes and Ryobi needed my Home Depot receipt, so I had to go back to Home Depot. It takes half an hour to pull up my credit card purchase with the battery on it. When I called Ryobi again, took another hour because now there was a high call volume, and just they told me to go gently caress myself because I never registered the battery with them

3 and a half hours of my day wasted, when they could have just asked if I registered the first time I called

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Put that on twitter, and also email their ceo (check Ceomail).

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Why? ryobi electronics and batteries are poo poo and most of the world already knows it. I hated every one I've had, but I shut up about it because some goons have said they have had good luck with the higher voltage and capacity batteries. They certainly have a lot of tools in their system and it would be nice if they were good, but they aren't, they are built down to a price and sold in only the cheapest places here (exclusively and do the slightly different models for each seller to get around price matching). E: I'll trust goons and say maybe a 3ah battery and premium charger is OK, but anything less (like I've tried) is garbage and my 10+ y/o makita stuff is better.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 24, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

One thing I can't really get over with Ryobi is how horrific their cordless tool colors are.

And I'm far from a "I need green Snap On scewdriver handles" type of guy and have no fashion sense.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Fo3 posted:

Why? ryobi electronics and batteries are poo poo and most of the world already knows it. I hated every one I've had, but I shut up about it because some goons have said they have had good luck with the higher voltage and capacity batteries. They certainly have a lot of tools in their system and it would be nice if they were good, but they aren't, they are built down to a price and sold in only the cheapest places here (exclusively and do the slightly different models for each seller to get around price matching). E: I'll trust goons and say maybe a 3ah battery and premium charger is OK, but anything less (like I've tried) is garbage and my 10+ y/o makita stuff is better.

Are you comparing your 10yo, probably nicd tools to any modern lithium including ryobi? Cause I’m calling bullshit.

Ryobi is just weekend-garage-dad-Milwaukee. It’s built to a price on purpose. Where are you trying to pricematch these things? I thought Ryobi was a Home Depot exclusive.

I don’t own any green tools, but my dad does and they do fine for him. I’m really impressed that Ryobi maintained battery compatibility with their old nicd tools so my dad can keep using the clunky old drill he loves with modern batteries.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

eddiewalker posted:

Are you comparing your 10yo, probably nicd tools/quote] to any modern lithium including ryobi? Cause I’m calling bullshit.
no, not nicad

quote:

Where are you trying to pricematch these things? I thought Ryobi was a Home Depot exclusive.
i'm not in the usa

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Point stands vs nimh.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have a $50 Black and Decker 20v drill and driver set. The drill is even single speed. It blows the doors off of my old Ryobi nicad set. I can't even imagine what high end stuff is like.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vs anything NiCd isn't fair, those were dark days.

Especially if you bought the flashlight :v:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

eddiewalker posted:

Point stands vs nimh.

Now you're being an idiot. I have makita 14v li-ion stuff that's 10 years old. Batteries still hold charge well, no faults.
I've had ryobi 14v li-ion stuff that have batteries die after a year. I probably used both drills last about 3 months ago. I bet the old makita battery has more charge in it than the ryobi if I pulled them out right now. (E: in fact wouldn't be suprised if the last 14v ryobi battery I have left is stuffed)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 25, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fo3 posted:

Now you're being an idiot. I have makita 14v li-ion stuff that's 10 years old. Batteries still hold charge well, no faults.
I've had ryobi 14v li-ion stuff that have batteries die after a year. I probably used both drills last about 3 months ago. I bet the old makita battery has more charge in it than the ryobi if I pulled them out right now. (E: in fact wouldn't be suprised if the last 14v ryobi battery I have left is stuffed)

And I have 5 year old Ryobi batteries that get used every week and are still healthy.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yet mine died after a year and you read about it all the time as well. I've opened mine up and they are no name chinese cells, so I'm not suprised.
I've heard people have luck with 3-4ah ryobi batteries but I've only dealt with 1.5-2ah which are bad and I'll leave it at that.
(E: my makita is 14v, the ryobi was supposed to be an upgrade and 18v)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 25, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Who made nimh powertools?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fo3 posted:

Yet mine died after a year and you read about it all the time as well. I've opened mine up and they are no name chinese cells, so I'm not suprised.
I've heard people have luck with 3-4ah ryobi batteries but I've only dealt with 1.5-2ah which are bad and I'll leave it at that.
(E: my makita is 14v, the ryobi was supposed to be an upgrade and 18v)

And you almost never read about the majority of people who don't have issues. Sorry you've had bad tools, not everyone will. They're not professional grade tools but they're far from bottom of the barrel.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Platystemon posted:

My old makita drill, driver, lamp set used nimh.

The drill looked and battery style looked very similar one they use on ISS and I suspect theirs still might use nimh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlZ_rPxNdBQ

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Isn't Fo3 down under?

It's entirely possible some markets get stuff made elsewhere that's not up to the standard others get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

I'm pretty sure my 2001-ish Metabo was NiMH. The batteries were hilariously dead towards the end. Briefly looked into new batteries, and a wired conversion, but it simply made no sense, so I shipped it off to Leyte, bought some 18V Makita stuff, and is now happy as a clam.