Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Yep. It replaced the 9.7" Pro. The 13" Pro is the one to be careful with.

Yeah, make sure it says TrueTone display for the most recent 12.9". Physically, it should have a small hole at the middle top of the back (one of the TrueTone sensors, I think?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Of all the reasons to get a new iPad, one or two more years of support should be near the bottom. These things are supported for a ridiculously long time. Top of the list should be a 12.9 inch screen. Screw the 10.5.

How is everyone's Pencil holding up battery-wise? I've noticed mine is not holding a charge well at all. It's going on it's 3rd year (bought right when the 9.7 was introduced). Come on, Apple. Update this thing so I can upgrade.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I wouldn't ever be worried about OS updates. Apple's OS support is unparalleled. I have a Mini 4 and it runs as well as it did on iOS 11 and 12 betas as older OS releases. I've seen zero noticeable speed drops. Furthermore, they aren't going to discontinue support for 64-bit devices anytime soon because there's just no point.

The 10.5" iPad Pro is super sweet though, but I really don't need it in the least.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

I got my new 10.5” Pro, and it’s all new and shiny and stuff. :cool:

What’s really surprising me is the Apple Smart Keyboard. I didn’t think I was going to be crazy about it. It adds bulk, and I assumed it was going to be a terrible typing experience. And the typing experience is... okay! Not great obviously, but not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I think my opinion was colored by the keyboard for the 9.7” model I tried which was a slightly less than full size keyboard. On the 10.5” keyboard, I can type almost as fast as I can on a standard keyboard. It’s also great not having the on-screen keyboard taking up half the screen.

With the Smart Keyboard, I can actually remote into my Windows 10 work computer and get some things done if I need to. Again, it’s not perfect, but so much better than using the touchscreen keyboard. I also thought I was going to hate the combination of keyboard + touchscreen navigation, but it’s surprisingly more natural than I expected. Does anyone know if there’s a way I can map key combos to other key presses? If I could map PgUp/PgDn to like cmd+] and cmd+[, that would be great. I also miss my Escape key.

Probably a dumb question about initial setup: is there any value in starting fresh with a new iPad vs. restoring from a backup? I’m thinking about this from a Windows perspective, where there’s often a benefit to wiping and reinstalling the OS every once in awhile to sort of “clean out the cobwebs” that just build up over time in Windows. It’s become far less important with later Windows versions, but it’s still something I do occasionally.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

RoboCop 3 posted:

I got my new 10.5” Pro, and it’s all new and shiny and stuff. :cool:

What’s really surprising me is the Apple Smart Keyboard. I didn’t think I was going to be crazy about it. It adds bulk, and I assumed it was going to be a terrible typing experience. And the typing experience is... okay! Not great obviously, but not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I think my opinion was colored by the keyboard for the 9.7” model I tried which was a slightly less than full size keyboard. On the 10.5” keyboard, I can type almost as fast as I can on a standard keyboard. It’s also great not having the on-screen keyboard taking up half the screen.

With the Smart Keyboard, I can actually remote into my Windows 10 work computer and get some things done if I need to. Again, it’s not perfect, but so much better than using the touchscreen keyboard. I also thought I was going to hate the combination of keyboard + touchscreen navigation, but it’s surprisingly more natural than I expected. Does anyone know if there’s a way I can map key combos to other key presses? If I could map PgUp/PgDn to like cmd+] and cmd+[, that would be great. I also miss my Escape key.

Probably a dumb question about initial setup: is there any value in starting fresh with a new iPad vs. restoring from a backup? I’m thinking about this from a Windows perspective, where there’s often a benefit to wiping and reinstalling the OS every once in awhile to sort of “clean out the cobwebs” that just build up over time in Windows. It’s become far less important with later Windows versions, but it’s still something I do occasionally.

Your new iPad will have a whole new OS. The backup should just carry over settings, preferences, and app-centric data along with multimedia files that aren't already stored in iCloud. You shouldn't have any OS rot.

And the keyboard is pretty nice. I just wish it had a backlight like the thicker Logi ones.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 21, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RoboCop 3 posted:

I recommend using Jump Desktop. It costs $15, but it’s worth every penny. It has a keyboard icon at the bottom of the screen that will bring up a bar that has all the keys not present on a smart or BT keyboard. It’s a vital part of my workflow for connecting to my lab at work.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jump-desktop-rdp-vnc-fluid/id364876095?mt=8

Also, if you use SSH, I recommend Prompt 2. Another app well worth the price.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/prompt-2/id917437289?mt=8

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Proteus Jones posted:

I recommend using Jump Desktop. It costs $15, but it’s worth every penny. It has a keyboard icon at the bottom of the screen that will bring up a bar that has all the keys not present on a smart or BT keyboard. It’s a vital part of my workflow for connecting to my lab at work.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jump-desktop-rdp-vnc-fluid/id364876095?mt=8

Also, if you use SSH, I recommend Prompt 2. Another app well worth the price.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/prompt-2/id917437289?mt=8

Thanks! I was just looking for a good SSH app, and that one looks great. For RDP, I currently use Microsoft's official app which... well, it works, more or less. I'll check out Jump Desktop. I'm very, very intrigued by its support for a physical mouse. I have no problem at all paying $15 for an app I'll be using all the time. Maybe I can expense it. :cool:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RoboCop 3 posted:

Thanks! I was just looking for a good SSH app, and that one looks great. For RDP, I currently use Microsoft's official app which... well, it works, more or less. I'll check out Jump Desktop. I'm very, very intrigued by its support for a physical mouse.

I didn’t even know it supported a mouse :aaa: I do know it supports stylus/touch input for Win 10.

The killer feature for me is that it will share configurations using iCloud so there’s no need to use their homegrown system (unless you want to share configs to their non iOS/macOS apps). It’s nice to have all the RDP connections I’ve defined in the iOS to show up in the macOS app.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 21, 2018

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Proteus Jones posted:

I didn’t even know it supported a mouse :aaa: I do know it supports stylus/touch input for Win 10.

The killer feature for me is that it will share configurations using iCloud so there’s no need to use their homegrown system (unless you want to share configs to their non iOS/macOS apps). It’s nice to have all the RDP connections I’ve defined in the iOS to show up in the macOS app.

It looks like there are only two specific BT mice that are supported right now. Hopefully the selection gets bigger over time.

My job is software development, so I don't expect to be ditching my laptop anytime soon, but for quick code updates or server config changes, this is going to be amazing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jump support 2 specific mice, The Swiftpoint GT which is $150 and the Citrix X1 which is $60 but has been discontinued (but can be found sparingly on eBay above msrp).

Mouse support was something I was getting excited for but I don't want to splash out that kind of cash.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

In other news, I tried for like the 10th time to get iCloud Photos setup on my Windows 10 laptop. After installing iCloud, my CPU and HDD started grinding away as usual. I figured I'd just let it do its thing overnight. I hoped that maybe Apple had finally fixed whatever was preventing iCloud from working on my laptop. It works fine on the desktop Windows PC in my office.

I woke up this morning, and my Windows laptop was complaining that it was out of disk space. Overnight, iCloud wrote over 15 million 4kb files to a temp directory, then crashed. I think they were thumbnails....

:downs:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RoboCop 3 posted:

The Smart Keyboard is better than the trash keyboards Apple uses on Macbooks now. AND it won't fail and require a $500 replacement if you get a crumb under a key!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

The Smart Keyboard is better than the trash keyboards Apple uses on Macbooks now. AND it won't fail and require a $500 replacement if you get a crumb under a key!

Counter point: The new MacBook keyboards are cool and good and loud, AND when they fail because of Cheeto dust, Apple will now replace it for free!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

FCKGW posted:

Jump support 2 specific mice, The Swiftpoint GT which is $150 and the Citrix X1 which is $60 but has been discontinued (but can be found sparingly on eBay above msrp).

Mouse support was something I was getting excited for but I don't want to splash out that kind of cash.

In case anyone is on the fence, I have a Citrix X1 (bought from Ebay) that works perfectly with Jump.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My handwriting sucks. What’s a good app to teach me to write better or calligraphy or something that I can do with the Pencil?

In a similar vein what’s an app that will teach me how to draw/illustrate? The extent of my ability is drawing a stick figure.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

ratbert90 posted:

Counter point: The new MacBook keyboards are cool and good and loud, AND when they fail because of Cheeto dust, Apple will now replace it for free!

I actually like the new MacBook keyboards a lot. And the fact it will just be replaced if it fucks up is icing.

The 12.9 Smart Keyboard is nice as hell too, but I really don't end up using it much except when I travel and leave MacBook at home.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ddogflex posted:

I actually like the new MacBook keyboards a lot. And the fact it will just be replaced if it fucks up is icing.

The 12.9 Smart Keyboard is nice as hell too, but I really don't end up using it much except when I travel and leave MacBook at home.

I’d be concerned that the silicone membrane will start to deteriorate and become grody and affect the keyboard performance after a short while. While I understand that it (hopefully) improves some of the butterfly keyboard’s shortcomings, I imagine that it would become a real failure point (or at least dramatically change the typing experience) in like 2-4 years. At that point I doubt Apple would still be offering free replacements.

I feel like every silicone object I’ve owned (cases, straps, etc) eventually starts to chemically change as it’s exposed to heat/air/oil/time/etc regardless of its initial quality or cost. They become brittle and sticky and begin to deform or gum up until they have to go into the garbage.

The oldest Mac in my possession is 11 years old, and while the battery is shot, it’s still functional. Similarly, my parents have a 9 year old iMac that they aren’t interested in replacing until it dies. On the one hand, I feel like Apple has historically prided itself on making computers that people hold onto for much longer than Windows machines but, on the other, they’re also quite willing to push in a direction of decreased longevity for the sake of thinness and probably to subtly push people to upgrade more frequently.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My 2006 MacBook still works perfectly. 2010 iMac was a dGPU dud. Hopefully my dGPU in my 2016 mbp doesn't crap out. So far the keyboard is fine since I cleaned it a year ago.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I’d be concerned that the silicone membrane will start to deteriorate and become grody and affect the keyboard performance after a short while. While I understand that it (hopefully) improves some of the butterfly keyboard’s shortcomings, I imagine that it would become a real failure point (or at least dramatically change the typing experience) in like 2-4 years. At that point I doubt Apple would still be offering free replacements.

I feel like every silicone object I’ve owned (cases, straps, etc) eventually starts to chemically change as it’s exposed to heat/air/oil/time/etc regardless of its initial quality or cost. They become brittle and sticky and begin to deform or gum up until they have to go into the garbage.
What if it's the same material they've been using in the keyboards for the rubber domes for years? Not sure if I've heard of the domes or membrane keyboards having the same types of issues as the ones you're talking about.

Getting off topic, but you reminded me of all the "soft touch" plastics on stuff that has turned to gummy poo poo over the years, from some searching around it sounds like isopropyl alcohol will wipe that crap off.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

japtor posted:

What if it's the same material they've been using in the keyboards for the rubber domes for years? Not sure if I've heard of the domes or membrane keyboards having the same types of issues as the ones you're talking about.

Getting off topic, but you reminded me of all the "soft touch" plastics on stuff that has turned to gummy poo poo over the years, from some searching around it sounds like isopropyl alcohol will wipe that crap off.

Not sure, but it looked like a very (very) thin silicone material from the looks of the iFixit teardown. Not quite the same material that's in membrane keyboards but I don't know.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has the iPad Pros on sale for My BestBuy memebers plus an additonal $50 with student discount (need .edu address)

64GB Apple iPad Pro 10.5" WiFi Tablet (2017) $475
256GB Apple iPad Pro 10.5" WiFi Tablet (2017) $625
512GB Apple iPad Pro 10.5" WiFi Tablet (2017) $825

Lowest they've ever been, must be new ones coming real soon.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It wouldn’t surprise me if the new ones just add FaceID and slim bezels all around and nothing else.

Same (or minorly improved) internal bits with the outward facing changes being the main updates.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
If Apple adds the faceID sensor package to the iPad before the Mac I will lol (they're absolutely going to do that). Apple buys the company that designed the tech behind Kinect, spends billions shrinking it down and refining it so that it fits on a phone, and uses it for device unlocking and some hokey-rear end 3D emoji feature. Meanwhile, Microsoft has Windows Hello on the market for like 7 years. Apple finally puts a fingerprint scanner on the MBP in 2017. Where's my MacBook that can scan 3D objects using the camera and unlocks with my face Apple? Why not done?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Thwomp posted:

It wouldn’t surprise me if the new ones just add FaceID and slim bezels all around and nothing else.

Same (or minorly improved) internal bits with the outward facing changes being the main updates.

I use mine to take a lot of notes at work, and when I get to the bottom or side of the page, I often end up hitting the stupid button with my hand and it closes the app. Going buttonless would be quite nice.

Also if the 12.9" kept the same sized screen but shrunk the bezels making the unit overall smaller that would also be pretty cool. I use a 10.5 right now and will be trying out the 12.9 if these changes happen.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If Apple adds the faceID sensor package to the iPad before the Mac I will lol (they're absolutely going to do that). Apple buys the company that designed the tech behind Kinect, spends billions shrinking it down and refining it so that it fits on a phone, and uses it for device unlocking and some hokey-rear end 3D emoji feature. Meanwhile, Microsoft has Windows Hello on the market for like 7 years. Apple finally puts a fingerprint scanner on the MBP in 2017. Where's my MacBook that can scan 3D objects using the camera and unlocks with my face Apple? Why not done?

iPad is the same hardware/OS as an iPhone and the Mac is a completely different platform so of course it will come to the iPad first

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

tuna posted:

Also if the 12.9" kept the same sized screen but shrunk the bezels making the unit overall smaller that would also be pretty cool. I use a 10.5 right now and will be trying out the 12.9 if these changes happen.

That would be kick rear end.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

iPad is the same hardware/OS as an iPhone and the Mac is a completely different platform so of course it will come to the iPad first

(It's never coming to the Mac)

(Also, Mac OS and iOS are more similar than you may think)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Electric Bugaloo posted:

(It's never coming to the Mac)

(Also, Mac OS and iOS are more similar than you may think)

(But the hardware/SOC is notably different)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The 2018 MacBooks Pro and the iMac Pro all have that new security chip in them, and the touchbar Macs have TouchID in them presumably with the secure enclave. I'd bet FaceID is coming next time they do a major update to them. It's not like they're hurting for bezel space.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Has anyone had to ask Apple to replace their iPad Pro keyboard that has begun to malfunction?

I’ve heard that if you can demonstrate a defect in a store they’ll give you a new one, no problem, but the keyboard I have was a gift so I don’t have a receipt. Think they’ll still take care of me?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bobfather posted:

Has anyone had to ask Apple to replace their iPad Pro keyboard that has begun to malfunction?

I’ve heard that if you can demonstrate a defect in a store they’ll give you a new one, no problem, but the keyboard I have was a gift so I don’t have a receipt. Think they’ll still take care of me?

Warranty stuff shouldn't matter for support from Apple. You can always ask.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

bobfather posted:

They have a quality program for the iPad Pro keyboards that lasts 3 years so you should be good to take it in and get it swapped out. Hard part is reading the serial number from the Smart Keyboard.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Does anyone know on the iPad if I can permanently block somethingawful from requesting my location data? Almost every new page I go to it pops up a request and asks.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
That doesn’t seem right. I’ve never had Awful ask for my location on any iOS device.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Don’t see any pop ups in Safari either, but I have an ad blocker installed.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tuna posted:

Does anyone know on the iPad if I can permanently block somethingawful from requesting my location data? Almost every new page I go to it pops up a request and asks.

If this is happening when you open links it's not awful.app asking for it, it's the webpage

Just checked my location privacy menu and awful didn't show up which means it's never asked me

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

He never mentioned the awful app. I'm assuming it's an ad thing on the website he's talking about.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oops

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Yeah I'm using regular Safari on ios. It could totally be page ads, but it always asks if "somethingawful" can access my location data. Just wondering if I can tell Safari no once and for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

tuna posted:

Yeah I'm using regular Safari on ios. It could totally be page ads, but it always asks if "somethingawful" can access my location data. Just wondering if I can tell Safari no once and for all.

You can disable location in safari entirely (settings, privacy, location services).