Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So whats supposed to be the story here?
Normal business practices sound damning and get clicks if you take them out of context and say them about a company that people have been making financial innuendo about for months.
But that headline is too long so they just demonstrate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

https://youtu.be/vUz9xCTOPRw

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdtDumm2LK0

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

For any biggish company, this is SOP. Read up how Walmart REALLY fucks over it's suppliers if you want to be outraged.

So whats supposed to be the story here?
It's Tesla. That's all it takes. Kind of like the battery fires, or lots fulll of cars waiting for transit. Non stories tend to turn into stories when they can put Tesla in the headlines. That's how smear campaigns work.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You don't want to add water to a lithium battery cell.

Yes you do. This myth is part of the problem. The form of lithium in the battery doesn't react like pure lithium in a water experiment, just like you can't make your pasta water explode by adding sodium chloride.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ilkhan posted:

It's Tesla. That's all it takes. Kind of like the battery fires, or lots fulll of cars waiting for transit. Non stories tend to turn into stories when they can put Tesla in the headlines. That's how smear campaigns work.

TBH I was more asking the question in the direction of Three Olives s a set up to slam down whatever supid crap he came out with next. I know exactly what's going on with these blatantly stupid negative Tesla articles :)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cockmaster posted:

To be fair, the consensus among climate scientists is that if we want to avoid loving up the planet too much, we need to do whatever we can as fast as we can to get away from fossil fuels.

And maybe that wouldn't be as much of a problem if our government weren't infested with irredeemable shitlords who see the lower class as vermin (and climate science as an inconvenience to their donors).

Yeah, you're not wrong, but at the same time a single supercontainer ship burning bunker oil puts out the equivalent per year of 50 million cars' worth of pollution. There are 90,000 of them in operation, each running ~270 days per year.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/07/23/kia-niro-electric-now-on-sale-in-korea-features-choice-of-battery-size/

The Niro EV's for sale in Korea now. Most of USA probably won't get a chance to buy it until Q1 2019. It'll have the standard 10 year 100,000 mile warranty with a lifetime warranty on the battery as a bonus.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, you're not wrong, but at the same time a single supercontainer ship burning bunker oil puts out the equivalent per year of 50 million cars' worth of pollution. There are 90,000 of them in operation, each running ~270 days per year.

this is talking about sulfur and particulates rather than CO2

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Liquid Communism posted:

That is based on a study that made several worst - case assumptions that were already unrealistic in 2009, when the study was done. It assumed the ships were burning the lowest quality bunker oil, the cars burned the highest quality gasoline, and only looked at sulfur and nitrogen oxide.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Liquid Communism posted:

could also go nuclear

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Savannah

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Detroit Free Press posted:

Why are so many Ram trucks parked at Gibraltar Trade Center?

If you've driven past the Gibraltar Trade Center this week, you might have wondered whether the closed public market in Mount Clemens was being reborn as an auto dealership.

Rows of what appear to be brand new Ram pickups have been lining the parking lot.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2018/07/21/ram-trucks-gibraltar-trade-center/808814002/

Chrysler/Fiat Bankruptcy is obviously imminent.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just stop.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Should I cite ZeroHedge...or?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Sicilian posted:

I'm about to head off on another contract, look forward to me not posting for 5-6 months.

Enjoy.

~The Sicilian, like 3000 posts ago

If only there was some way to make this easier for him :thunk:

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

~The Sicilian, like 3000 posts ago

8/1 start date. Thanks.

Looks like my toxx is gonna backfire anyways, real bad day in the market for Tesla.

All hail LeEco and Faraday.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Take a week off before you head out, treat yourself.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is talking about sulfur and particulates rather than CO2

If the goal was to reduce CO2 emissions, there would be many more efficient uses for the money spent to buy something like a Model S. Tax incentives could also be used to promote electrification of things like city busses rather than luxury passenger cars. That would be much more efficient in terms of CO2 emission reduction.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DoLittle posted:

Tax incentives could also be used to promote electrification of things like city busses rather than luxury passenger cars. That would be much more efficient in terms of CO2 emission reduction.

Or just, y'know, promote making the buses something people actually want to use.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Electric semis are a better direction than luxury cars too.

Good use of electric vehicles absurd torque, plus a vehicle that gives no poo poo for how much the batteries weigh -and- will reliably be stopping for mandated downtime on major highways thanks to DOT regs.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Liquid Communism posted:

Good use of electric vehicles absurd torque, plus a vehicle that gives no poo poo for how much the batteries weigh -and- will reliably be stopping for mandated downtime on major highways thanks to DOT regs.

It's almost like an entirely new/undeveloped market needed to make a high end car, lets call it a HALO car, to attract people to this new market. Other manufacturers do this all the time.

Debating what is the best use of tax credits is worthless if the consumer doesn't want that category of the market. The roadster and model s served as those early adoption halo cars.

Up until that point, any mass produced EV was focused on energy savings and being an extreme, lightweight econobox.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Liquid Communism posted:

They're (mostly) good and necessary miles driven too, because putting freight on a truck is something that eventually always needs to be done. A luxury sedan can be replaced by many other alternate methods of transportation

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

canyoneer posted:

They're (mostly) good and necessary miles driven too, because putting freight on a truck is something that eventually always needs to be done. A luxury sedan can be replaced by many other alternate methods of transportation

I suspect electric trucking will result in a faster build-out of charging infrastructure, as well. Trucking companies will know exactly which routes their trucks will be taking and just where the stations need to be. Passenger cars can then piggy-back on that which gives incentive to build other charging spots on other routes.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Busses are used by a lot of people in many parts of the world and electric busses already in production and use have far greater impact than all the EV passenger car production combined. More than 100000 BEV busses are produced every year and each has much, much larger impact on CO2 emission than a passenger car. Busses are large vehicles that run 12-16 hours a day. Compare that to typical BEV passenger car usage. They also run in densely populated areas, which makes the reduction of particulate and NOx emissions particularly useful.

Of course there would also be many other more efficient uses regarding CO2 emissions for the money spent of luxury EVs, particularly in developing world. So it is a bit strange approach, if the goal is to save the world instead of producing admittedly cool cars. And the latter is a fine motivation for in it self.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Liquid Communism posted:

Semi truck weight is kind of important though—having to carry heavy batteries means that you can carry less cargo.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The problem with saving the world is that the people with all the resources (that is, most people in the developed world) mostly don't give a poo poo about the world. And I include myself in that.

Oh sure, in the abstract we'd prefer the world not go to poo poo. In the specific, if you ask us to pay an extra buck for the sustainably-grown/harvested/transported/processed loaf of bread instead of the "lol whatever" bread, people will go for the cheaper option. Let alone if you ask people to actually give something up like, say, eating beef.

silence_kit posted:

Semi truck weight is kind of important though—having to carry heavy batteries means that you can carry less cargo.

When automated trucks arrive, I wonder if it would make economic sense to run lots of smaller vehicles instead of a few big ones.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
None of this is even taking into account the allowance of "gliders," new semi bodies manufactured using an old dirty engine.

Replacing semis (which just got an emissions waiver in California for older models) instead of city busses will lead to a much greater net reduction in emissions.

Most cities have switched to CNG and partial, hybrid electric busses, simply out of cost concerns and available grants.

Semis have far more of an impact, especially in concentrated areas like the Ports of Los Angeles/Long Beach.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

As a city pedestrian, I can't wait for the noisy diesel (or CNG) buses to gently caress off.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Ola posted:

As a city pedestrian, I can't wait for the noisy diesel (or CNG) buses to gently caress off.

How about those loving garbage trucks? Would it even be possible to replace the air brakes?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Sicilian posted:

How about those loving garbage trucks? Would it even be possible to replace the air brakes?

Garbage trucks are perfect candidates for electrification. Regular routes, regular stats on load requirements, slow speeds, lots of start/stop, early mornings, no nights so ample charging window.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

The Sicilian posted:

https://www.wrightspeed.com/the-route-powertrain

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I wonder in 75 years what large cities will sound like. Will the dominate sound be people's footsteps?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I wonder in 75 years what large cities will sound like. Will the dominate sound be people's footsteps?

Unlikely. EVs still make substantial noise just from tires and wind. But noise and air pollution will both be massively reduced.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It will still be horns, somehow it will still be horns.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There's a bunch of stuff with Cummins Westports in garbage trucks since it's also suited to CNG. Doesn't solve the noise problem but it's cleaner.

This is asinine since you can do like 90% of urban routes on batteries alone and that turbine adds a ton of weight and cost. There's a very good reason turbine cars have not caught on. It would be better to do it with an opposed piston diesel or something similar if you really must have a range extender.

DoLittle posted:

If the goal was to reduce CO2 emissions, there would be many more efficient uses for the money spent to buy something like a Model S. Tax incentives could also be used to promote electrification of things like city busses rather than luxury passenger cars. That would be much more efficient in terms of CO2 emission reduction.

get your learn on, friend: https://www.transit.dot.gov/sites/fta.dot.gov/files/docs/PublicTransportationsRoleInRespondingToClimateChange2010.pdf

cliff notes:
on a per passenger VMT basis busses are already relatively efficient C02 producers compared to cars (roughly 65% of the emissions per pvmt). this accounts for the lousy average utilization of busses (26% occupancy on average).
passenger cars and light trucks make up the majority (57%) of CO2 emissions in the transport sector, which also includes OTR trucks, and airplanes. busses make up part of a small share of that total called "other"
there are already robust and aggressive hybridization, CNG conversion, and electric vehicle efforts in American cities

i loving hate the policy concept that small minded idiots push that unless you are doing The Optimal One Thing that it's a dumb policy, plus you're absolutely wrong about where CO2 comes from in this country. It comes from passenger cars. You might get some better immediate bang for your buck because emissions are higher on a per-unit basis for trucks and busses, but until you get meaningful electrification of personal vehicles in this country we are hosed from a CO2 emissions perspective.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

When automated trucks arrive, I wonder if it would make economic sense to run lots of smaller vehicles instead of a few big ones.

no because a 20,000 ton GVWR truck is not twice as expensive as a 10,000 ton GVWR truck

the calculus will shift but cost of capital will if anything make up an even larger percentage of the total operating cost

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There's a bunch of stuff with Cummins Westports in garbage trucks since it's also suited to CNG. Doesn't solve the noise problem but it's cleaner.

This is asinine since you can do like 90% of urban routes on batteries alone and that turbine adds a ton of weight and cost. There's a very good reason turbine cars have not caught on. It would be better to do it with an opposed piston diesel or something similar if you really must have a range extender.

get your learn on, friend: https://www.transit.dot.gov/sites/fta.dot.gov/files/docs/PublicTransportationsRoleInRespondingToClimateChange2010.pdf

cliff notes:
on a per passenger VMT basis busses are already relatively efficient C02 producers compared to cars (roughly 65% of the emissions per pvmt). this accounts for the lousy average utilization of busses (26% occupancy on average).
passenger cars and light trucks make up the majority (57%) of CO2 emissions in the transport sector, which also includes OTR trucks, and airplanes. busses make up part of a small share of that total called "other"
there are already robust and aggressive hybridization, CNG conversion, and electric vehicle efforts in American cities

i loving hate the policy concept that small minded idiots push that unless you are doing The Optimal One Thing that it's a dumb policy, plus you're absolutely wrong about where CO2 comes from in this country. It comes from passenger cars. You might get some better immediate bang for your buck because emissions are higher on a per-unit basis for trucks and busses, but until you get meaningful electrification of personal vehicles in this country we are hosed from a CO2 emissions perspective.

Thank you for having the facts on-hand.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ola posted:

Garbage trucks are perfect candidates for electrification. Regular routes, regular stats on load requirements, slow speeds, lots of start/stop, early mornings, no nights so ample charging window.

...meh, you say this, but for the average load that garbage trucks carry, the battery tech is not here yet.

Reminder that these are some of the heaviest vehicles that ply neighborhoods in the United States, often so heavy that if they tip, you need TWO recovery wreckers to lift them, even empty. Diesel is not going anywhere in trucks for a long, long time.

However: I suspect CNG/Diesel Electrics will continue to catch on more versus purely diesel mechanical driven. Diesels are not the major CO2 issue, they are a massive NOx issue (easily rectified by Bluetech/Urea systems).

And Air Brakes are going nowhere for a long time as well.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Ola posted:

Very interesting.

CommieGIR posted:

And Air Brakes are going nowhere for a long time as well.

Do you see this as being intrinsically linked to ICE powered vehicles, and their continued necessity? Or do you doubt the stopping ability and other mechanical stressors pure regenerative breaking systems would have to face?

No argument here, genuinely curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There will still be assholes, so likely loud rear end harleys and lovely rap music distorted by a walmart brand subwoofer tearing through the silence.

• Locked thread