Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I was just at the grocery store and was going to try it but I couldn’t even figure out if the drat thing accepts it.

Long story short is it doesn’t and the cashier said they had just replaced the terminals lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Hello, I use my 300 dollar watch to buy a one dollar bag of chips from a vending machine at work.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Does it go through your wrist or do you have to touch your face to the scanner?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Housh posted:

Does it go through your wrist or do you have to touch your face to the scanner?

I hover the face.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You have to hover the face. NEAR field communications is very near.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sometimes I hover my face to be safe.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

Housh posted:

Edit: I'm stupid and all you gotta do is double tap the button like on your phone. My issue is: I only have my credit card showing up and not my loyalty cards from my phone's wallet. iCloud for the Wallet is set "on" on my phone. Dunno what gives?

On the watch, the double-click view only shows Apple Pay cards and Wallet passes that are contactless-enabled (like Walgreens, Coca-Cola, and MLB in the USA). Wallet passes that just have barcodes are viewed through the Wallet app on the watch. (They’ll also appear in Notification Center on the watch when relevant, just like they’d appear on the lock screen of your phone.)

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Stupid shell station near me has the contactless thing but when I scan my watch it just says “declined” and locks up the pump for a minute. Valero near me works as long as I hit credit before I scan.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The Circle K near my work had applepay at the pump for a while, then they disabled it. I asked why and they said it was less secure than swipe+zip code :psyduck:

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Went out for a run today with my new airpods and my watch and god that was amazing to just not need my phone. Working out at the gym with just watch and airpods and phone back in the locker? Popping in headphones to continue my podcast from car into my office? This is magic.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Anya posted:

Went out for a run today with my new airpods and my watch and god that was amazing to just not need my phone. Working out at the gym with just watch and airpods and phone back in the locker? Popping in headphones to continue my podcast from car into my office? This is magic.

I love the fact that I can use the same headphones to take conference calls on my work phone and then switch over to my personal for podcasts/whatever. Magic indeed.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I’m assuming AirPods work well with the watch on the left hand? My current Bluetooth earbud things have the dangly controls and I assume antenna hanging off the right ear, and I guess my fatass goon body can block Bluetooth signals from my left wrist (especially outside). So walking/jogging/etc kinda sucks because music can cut in and out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve found the AirPods to have pretty amazing range to be honest.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Yeah my AirPods work from two rooms away. Unless your fat, gross body is made of metal you should be fine.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

fourwood posted:

I’m assuming AirPods work well with the watch on the left hand? My current Bluetooth earbud things have the dangly controls and I assume antenna hanging off the right ear, and I guess my fatass goon body can block Bluetooth signals from my left wrist (especially outside). So walking/jogging/etc kinda sucks because music can cut in and out.
I know exactly what you're talking about from using other BT headphones (usually from having my phone in the left pocket) and no, it’s not a problem at all with AirPods.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My AirPods work when my phone is charging in my living room and I’m laying in bed like two rooms away. It’s pretty great.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
AirPods are great, but the ear detection could be improved. I am on and off my office landline a lot during the day, so I'm frequently taking them in and out. I probably have to duck into the BT settings 2 or 3 times per day to manually pair them.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Apple Watch: Unless your fat, gross body is made of metal you should be fine.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Sock The Great posted:

AirPods are great, but the ear detection could be improved. I am on and off my office landline a lot during the day, so I'm frequently taking them in and out. I probably have to duck into the BT settings 2 or 3 times per day to manually pair them.

That’s not remotely normal, you shouldn’t need to do that at all.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Sock The Great posted:

I usually just give it a little shake before putting it back in my ear to trip to accelerometer, that’s usually enough to wake it back up

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Since having an Apple Pay-enabled credit card I’ve used it on the phone maybe once or twice. 99% of my transactions are via my Watch. It’s right there on my wrist, I don’t have to do any fingerprint stuff, it’s way more convenient than pulling the phone out.

Of course this is in Australia where contactless payment is pretty much standard on all eftpos terminals. I’ve never had my watch declined as a payment method.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Creature posted:

Since having an Apple Pay-enabled credit card I’ve used it on the phone maybe once or twice. 99% of my transactions are via my Watch. It’s right there on my wrist, I don’t have to do any fingerprint stuff, it’s way more convenient than pulling the phone out.

Of course this is in Australia where contactless payment is pretty much standard on all eftpos terminals. I’ve never had my watch declined as a payment method.

:same:

I gave up cash over a year ago except where there's no other option - contactless is similarly near-universal in the UK. I always use my watch to pay at self-checkouts (and have vetoed store loyalty cards because of it), but tend to fall back to using my card rather than phone with cashiers - it's still a more obvious signal to have a card in your hand at a checkout rather than a phone.

Plus I actually find ApplePay on the iPhone X to be a step backwards in quick usability - "double-press power button, show face, hold to reader" (or more absentmindedly/instinctively "hold to reader, remember it needs the deliberate payment unlock, double press power, show face, hold to reader again") vs the old "hold to reader, touch thumb".

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The watch is what got me to do contactless at all. Sadly in the US it isn’t widespread everywhere yet but everywhere there is I ended up using it. Super fast and a lot easier than dealing with the phone at all.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Froist posted:

I gave up cash over a year ago except where there's no other option - contactless is similarly near-universal in the UK. I always use my watch to pay at self-checkouts (and have vetoed store loyalty cards because of it), but tend to fall back to using my card rather than phone with cashiers - it's still a more obvious signal to have a card in your hand at a checkout rather than a phone.

Plus I actually find ApplePay on the iPhone X to be a step backwards in quick usability - "double-press power button, show face, hold to reader" (or more absentmindedly/instinctively "hold to reader, remember it needs the deliberate payment unlock, double press power, show face, hold to reader again") vs the old "hold to reader, touch thumb".

I don't remember where I heard this tip, but when using Apple Pay (phone or watch) at a manned pay point in the UK, you get way less bother / confusion / embarrassment if you ask 'can I pay contactless?' rather than 'can I use Apple Pay?' or waiting for them to realise that you plan on using your phone to pay.

It's less of an issue now that it's well established, but for the first couple of years lots of people didn't realise that Apple Pay would work anywhere that regular contactless would and I remember trying not to be that guy explaining his iPhone to a bored cashier.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Creature posted:

As an American, it was a goddamn revelation when I was in Australia for a few weeks that Apple Pay just works everywhere. It was amazing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My office snack machine takes Apple Pay now and it's the best. I wish the soda machine would too, though.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
NO TAP

Is what’s written on half the terminals here in Canada.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Froist posted:

Double tap power when taking phone out of pocket, faceID, present to terminal. It’s faster than touchID.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

rage-saq posted:

Double tap power when taking phone out of pocket, faceID, present to terminal. It’s faster than touchID.

Triple tap home button, keep your thumb on the Touch ID while touching the payment terminal. Sorry faceID is not faster.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Crayvex posted:

Triple tap home button, keep your thumb on the Touch ID while touching the payment terminal. Sorry faceID is not faster.

Face ID is a lot faster for me doing exactly this so...

rage-saq posted:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

I can buy that FaceID could be faster, although I think TouchID-as-I-whip-it-out is plenty fast enough so long story short, either way Apple Pay is pretty awesome.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

fourwood posted:

As an American, it was a goddamn revelation when I was in Australia for a few weeks that Apple Pay just works everywhere. It was amazing.

It’s not just the Apple Watch either. One of our banks is now offering a tap & go ring as a payment option. You can also buy reusable coffee cups that have a prepaid chip in the base. Technology is really awesome.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I’m waiting for some sensationalist article about Apple Pay not being secure—or how scammers can maybe possibly neverhavebefore steal your info using this one technique—to drop so it can set us back a few more years

Seriously, seems to be much more common outside the US. It’s definitely coming more and more here, which is cool, but until I find a gas station that lets me use apply pay...

Yes I know those gas stations exist, but being in an urban area I’ve yet to see one

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm suddenly tired of America turning itself into a third world country, wife and I took a vacation to Europe this month and contactless just being a thing that works makes me feel like I crawled out of a cave.

There's a lot more cool with Europe but it's not really suitable for this thread. Not gonna be one of those "gently caress America I'm moving out" type people but man it's hard to be home.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

xzzy posted:

I'm suddenly tired of America turning itself into a third world country, wife and I took a vacation to Europe this month and contactless just being a thing that works makes me feel like I crawled out of a cave.

There's a lot more cool with Europe but it's not really suitable for this thread. Not gonna be one of those "gently caress America I'm moving out" type people but man it's hard to be home.

Pros: universal healthcare and NHS, contactless payments, good food

Cons: the failure of neoliberalism leading to the reemergence of fascism, everything shuts down in August

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Matt Zerella posted:

Pros: universal healthcare and NHS, contactless payments, good food

Cons: the failure of neoliberalism leading to the reemergence of fascism, everything shuts down in August

Mmm the NHS and good food do not exist in the same country

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

xilni posted:

I mean, I could live on black pudding, but fair enough.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

rage-saq posted:

What I was getting at is that with a card or touchID phone, the operation can be started while whatever you’re holding is already touching the payment terminal.

In a country where we’ve had contactless payment cards for years, the trained-in instinct is just to push what’s in your hand towards the terminal. That still worked with touchID phones because you could do the “authorisation” step instantly while it’s still there.

With faceID you have to do two “preparation” steps before your hand reaches the terminal, and if you’ve not done them in time you have to start again.

First world problems, I’m not saying it’s a big deal. I love ApplePay. But it’s not as intuitive as it used to be on the X, and the watch is my goto payment method now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

xilni posted:

There’s awesome food in the UK. Just like in the US, it’s almost exclusively thanks to immigrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

fourwood posted:

We've had contactless payment in pretty much every major retailer since I think around 2011. These days all I say is "on payWave thanks" then pay with my watch. Maybe 10% of the time someone will tell me it's cool (our banks have been really slow and lovely to adopt Apple Pay, so that's still a relatively new thing) but nobody blinks at contactless anymore. The only reason to carry cash anymore is to buy a sausage at Bunnings.