Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

PT6A posted:

I don't object to Bernie's oldness because I think people wouldn't vote for him, I object to it because I personally think anyone 70+ is not in ideal shape for the presidency. It's a demanding position, and the fact that y'all elected someone who's completely unqualified and unsuited to it on literally every level this time around doesn't make it a good idea.

Thanks for the concern troll, I'm glad you can't vote here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's the 2016 argument all over again.

Yes this person is more popular among the electorate at large and has better ideas, but this horrifically unpopular person campaigning on "better ideas will never happen, let's commit to doing poo poo-all for anyone" has such a great paper resume and so much experience, so let's risk losing to a fascist in order to be smug about how our terrible candidate with terrible ideas was somehow vaguely the most qualified in some unquantifiable way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

VitalSigns posted:

It's the 2016 argument all over again.

Yes this person is more popular among the electorate at large and has better ideas, but this horrifically unpopular person campaigning on "better ideas will never happen, let's commit to doing poo poo-all for anyone" has such a great paper resume and so much experience, so let's risk losing to a fascist in order to be smug about how our terrible candidate with terrible ideas was somehow vaguely the most qualified in some unquantifiable way.

No?

Bernie's absolutely the most appealing of the currently-prominent possible candidates, but that doesn't mean we can't find someone even better and younger. If it turns out that's actually impossible -- and I see no reason to believe that's the case, but it might be -- then by all means pick Bernie.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Clinton keels over on a hot day in NY and she's the most qualified candidate ever.

Bernie drains 3s on a basketball court and runs for the train: too old

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

PT6A posted:

No?

Bernie's absolutely the most appealing of the currently-prominent possible candidates, but that doesn't mean we can't find someone even better and younger. If it turns out that's actually impossible -- and I see no reason to believe that's the case, but it might be -- then by all means pick Bernie.

We are building the bench. This takes time. In the meantime, Bernie is the guy who we need to go into the Oval Office. Age be damned.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PT6A posted:

If it turns out that's actually impossible -- and I see no reason to believe that's the case, but it might be -- then by all means pick Bernie.

Thanks for your input, Canadian, I'm sure your finger is on the pulse of who's nationally recognizable in American politics. :jerkbag:

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm glad you can't vote here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PT6A posted:

No?

If we find someone better we should run them even if they're the crypt-keeper just pick a good VP.

Better and younger is a subset of better so that would be fine too if they exist (they don't because there's a 45-year gap in Good Dems and people like AOC aren't old enough to run yet)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
It really only comes down to who his running mate would be. He needs someone with his bonafides, and that can be seen as an additional bulwark against the existing establishment, not an offering to them. I have no idea who that person is.

I don't care if he dies in office, and I don't get why people would care.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

VitalSigns posted:

If we find someone better we should run them even if they're the crypt-keeper just pick a good VP.

Fair enough, I can see the value in that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gabbard or Ellison are the only two I'd trust as a VP pick to carry on Bernie's legacy should something go wrong. I don't particularly trust Warren.

What I'd like to avoid is a Truman situation, which in this case for me personally would be Gillibrand.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Gabbard or Ellison are the only two I'd trust as a VP pick to carry on Bernie's legacy should something go wrong. I don't particularly trust Warren.

What I'd like to avoid is a Truman situation, which in this case for me personally would be Gillibrand.

Ellison would be an excellent pick. In fact, I think he'd be a credible pick for the top of the ticket.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Ellison would be great, but he's sort of taken a low profile lately hasn't he?

Gabbard I don't know enough about

Warren is not a good fit, or a good VP. same with all of the expected 2020 runners.

anyone have any other names?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

PT6A posted:

Ellison would be an excellent pick. In fact, I think he'd be a credible pick for the top of the ticket.

If Bernie runs, he won't. If Bernie doesn't he'd be my, to quote Christopher Multisante, "hair apparent".

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Bernie/Keith 2020
Keith/Alexandria 2024
Alexandria for permanent General Secretary 2028

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Ellison would be great, but he's sort of taken a low profile lately hasn't he?

Gabbard I don't know enough about

Warren is not a good fit, or a good VP. same with all of the expected 2020 runners.

anyone have any other names?

Bullock. But they're not going to run two white men.

Ellison is running for AG in Minnesota. Not quite low profile but he's leaving the house.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

If Bernie runs, he won't. If Bernie doesn't he'd be my, to quote Christopher Multisante, "hair apparent".

That's probably a good choice on his part, even if I'd prefer him over Bernie in a perfect world.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Matt Zerella posted:

nina

turner

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Condiv posted:

nina

turner

Goddammit I always forget Nina and yeah, hell yeah, she'd be great.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Tulsi Gabbard, lol. Never change y'all

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Condiv posted:

nina

turner

I think this would be great.My worry is that Bernie doesn't make it to 2020 to run :smith: I hope he's on the RBG staying alive workout regimen.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Condiv posted:

nina

turner

Imagine how much this would piss off Donut Twitter.:allears:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

D.N. Nation posted:

Tulsi Gabbard, lol. Never change y'all

I wish democrats would start supporting women of color.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
A man, who needs to ration his walmart brand insulin vials because the only health care he can afford has huge out of pocket deductibles, briefly scans his voter's pamphlet, his hand shaking from the hypoglycemia taking hold. Democrats he's never heard of fill the list, each making fig-leaf promises to make health care affordable, but Bernie Sanders stands out, offering a single payer solution that makes health care accessible to everyone. In a bout of dizziness and sweat, he takes his time to carefully turn the page without dropping or ripping the pamphlet. A grimace contorts his face when he scans Bernie's brief profile.

"Nah, too old."

He marks the spot on his ballot for Hillary Clinton, the only other name in politics he knows of in the past 40 years of his existence. The damp absentee ballot crumbles as he jams it into the envelope. He grips his chest tightly as he makes the long walk to his mailbox. Each step gets heavier and heavier, and just as the mailbox is within his sight, a terrible pain grips his entire body. He hits the ground with a thud, his balled up ballot gently rolling down his gravel driveway. As daylight turns to darkness, his last thoughts are of his car, a weathered and rusted pontiac firebird he left sitting in the front yard. "It only needs a tune-up" he murmurs, before the last ray of light leaves his eyes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

A man, who needs to ration his walmart brand insulin vials because the only health care he can afford has huge out of pocket deductibles, briefly scans his voter's pamphlet, his hand shaking from the hypoglycemia taking hold. Democrats he's never heard of fill the list, each making fig-leaf promises to make health care affordable, but Bernie Sanders stands out, offering a single payer solution that makes health care accessible to everyone. In a bout of dizziness and sweat, he takes his time to carefully turn the page without dropping or ripping the pamphlet. A grimace contorts his face when he scans Bernie's brief profile.

"Nah, too old."

He marks the spot on his ballot for Hillary Clinton, the only other name in politics he knows of in the past 40 years of his existence. The damp absentee ballot crumbles as he jams it into the envelope. He grips his chest tightly as he makes the long walk to his mailbox. Each step gets heavier and heavier, and just as the mailbox is within his sight, a terrible pain grips his entire body. He hits the ground with a thud, his balled up ballot gently rolling down his gravel driveway. As daylight turns to darkness, his last thoughts are of his car, a weathered and rusted pontiac firebird he left sitting in the front yard. "It only needs a tune-up" he murmurs, before the last ray of light leaves his eyes.

Wow that sounds like a great argument for supporting Sanders over Clinton, a thing which hasn't been contested here by anyone in ages.

I mean, was Sanders anything approaching a household name prior to 2016? I certainly don't remember him doing much of anything, although he clearly was. Somewhere out there, there is someone else -- younger, but with similar policies -- who is working in a similarly invisible position, who could do what Sanders did in 2016 except actually secure the nomination this time.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Deptfordx posted:

Serious question.

Is it just me that thinks Bernie, Warren (and Biden come to that) are to old? Warrens the youngest, and she'd be what 72 in her first year in office.

I don't want to be ageist, but age takes it's toll. We don't allow 70 year old Firefighers, I just think that with the incredible demands of the modern presidency (obviously this doesn't apply if you're going to just half-rear end it like Trump) in terms of stamina, flexibility, and sheer workload to do it properly, nobody who's going to see 70 in their next term should run.

Oh and yes I thought Clinton and Trump were both to old last time as well.
I agree with all this but the problem is there are no credible leftists in the Democratic party because they got purged by the 90s and Clinton (Bill) et al made sure they could never come back.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I agree with all this but the problem is there are no credible leftists in the Democratic party because they got purged by the 90s and Clinton (Bill) et al made sure they could never come back.

So? Sanders wasn't in the Democratic party, it hardly seems like it's an impediment to people wanting to vote for him. You can pick from people outside the party organization -- Sanders himself proves that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PT6A posted:

So? Sanders wasn't in the Democratic party, it hardly seems like it's an impediment to people wanting to vote for him. You can pick from people outside the party organization -- Sanders himself proves that.

Such as?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I don't loving know! But I, and I suspect most people, wouldn't have known Sanders pre-2015 or so either. I don't have an exhaustive knowledge of every community organizer, labour leader, mayor, state official, etc. everywhere in America, but it defies common sense that there is no one who would fit the bill.

If Clinton purged the leftists from the Democratic party in the 90s, it stands to reason that unless he actually had them killed, they're around somewhere.

Like I said, if no such candidate can be found, there's nothing wrong with going ahead with Bernie, but I find it unlikely that that's the case.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

Serious question.

Is it just me that thinks Bernie, Warren (and Biden come to that) are to old? Warrens the youngest, and she'd be what 72 in her first year in office.

I don't want to be ageist, but age takes it's toll. We don't allow 70 year old Firefighers, I just think that with the incredible demands of the modern presidency (obviously this doesn't apply if you're going to just half-rear end it like Trump) in terms of stamina, flexibility, and sheer workload to do it properly, nobody who's going to see 70 in their next term should run.

Oh and yes I thought Clinton and Trump were both to old last time as well.

Their age is a downside, but there are no other options who don't have downsides that are significantly worse (in the case of Sanders that is).

PT6A posted:

Beyond the demands of the presidency, someone who is that age simply doesn't have the same stake in the future that someone younger does.

Also, the word is 'too'.

This is the sort of thing that sounds like it makes sense, but falls apart under scrutiny, at least in this context. As someone else mentioned, no one who becomes President has the same sort of stake in the future as the vast majority of Americans. You can potentially make this argument regarding voters, but not high profile politicians.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

If that's what you think a 50 year old white liberal's wet dream is that, you don't actually know the difference between them and a republican. Or they just say they're a liberal and vote straight ticket R anyway or some such poo poo.

There needs to be a distinction here. Your average 50 year old white liberal is very anti-cop, though this is under the assumption that the cop is a Republican with all the associated stereotypes. They are very favorable to "The Good Ones" among groups that are otherwise usually associated with conservatives (or perceived as such, like the military).

The liberal's wet dream could best be described as "finding common ground with people who would normally be our enemies."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 23, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

how about instead of a brand new candidate with 0 name recognition who will go completely ignored by the media, we pick the candidate with high name recognition, tons of favorability, and great policy positions, and pair him up with a young running mate

like, i dunno, sanders/turner 2020?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

PT6A posted:

Sanders isn't just some guy outside the Democratic party - for one, he runs in the Democratic primary in Vermont, and wins. He just doesn't accept the nomination so he can run as an independent. So he's a special case and basically anyone else is probably going to come from inside the party except for billionaires like Bloomberg or whatever.

So it could be somebody in the House that we don't know about or something, but if they're not making any waves yet then the clock is ticking.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

bernie doesnt pass my purity test

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I think Ellison would be an amazing presidential nominee if he wins his AG race first.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

PT6A posted:

I don't object to Bernie's oldness because I think people wouldn't vote for him, I object to it because I personally think anyone 70+ is not in ideal shape for the presidency. It's a demanding position, and the fact that y'all elected someone who's completely unqualified and unsuited to it on literally every level this time around doesn't make it a good idea.

It's genetics.

My grandpa on my dad's side fell apart in his 70s and barely made it into his 80s as a confused doddering sick old man who lingered for years in purgatory. He lived in a home for the last 6 years of his life.

My wife's grandpa had full control of his facilities and basically kept the same schedule from his early 60s to his late 80s. He had a brief decline after a stroke and died immediately. He was living on his own right until the stroke.

It's 100% dependent on the person, yeah generally people decline but some of them just keep going at the same basic level until they croak.

Considering the vid footage of Bernie running through the airport, Bernie playing basketball and sinking buckets, Bernie confidently working the crowd on hot days - he seems like he's the latter.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

He owns a beachouse IN VERMONT. The man bathes in the frigid waters of lake Champlain and gargles maple syrup. He will be fine.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Bernie can't run for president because Jotun are not citizens of America

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PT6A posted:

I don't loving know! But I, and I suspect most people, wouldn't have known Sanders pre-2015 or so either.

Yes correct, and that handicap doomed his campaign. Had he been a household name pre-2015 then he would have almost certainly won the primaries, even more reason not to run someone nobody has ever heard of against established politicians with huge name recognition.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Lol arguing we need to run Bernie because of name recognition is literally some pro Hillary Anti Bernie 2016 primary rhetoric.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lol arguing we need to run Bernie because of name recognition is literally some pro Hillary Anti Bernie 2016 primary rhetoric.

Hillary's problem wasn't that she had name recognition per se, bud

Being popular and well known - and this may be a controversial opinion - is in fact a good thing in a popularity and recognition contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I'd argue clinton's problem was a bit too much name recognition, what with the decades of fraud and bullshit

• Locked thread