Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

MeccaPrime isn't wrong about the rings, you just need to use a Ring Secret to transfer them (talk to one of the snakes in the ring shop, IIRC the blue one?). This encodes all the rings you have at the time you request it into a password that gives them to you in the linked game, essentially letting you transfer rings any time. It just doesn't happen automatically.

This works for Hero Secret games also, it's how you get all the rings over the course of multiple playthroughs. (This is also how you completely trivialise what challenge there is, by starting with things like the Blue Ring from the get-go.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

On the rings, they DO Transfer over, but you need to talk to Red Snake in Ages to get the Ring Secret to input in Seasons.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

While you can transfer rings, I do find it more fun/challenging (such that these games are actually challenging) to not bring your OP rings with you to start a new game.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

How many other games from this era had this fancy password linking? I can only think of the Oracle games and the first two Golden Sun games. (And in the case of the latter you could instead link them directly to avoid entering ten pages of passwords.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Cross-game transfer is such a neat technology that's still such a rarity. Especially now that you've got console saves, there's just so much potential. But I guess actually or potentially limiting your audience in that way is kind of publisher Kryptonite, so all you ever get is a boss that knows you like to play Castlevania.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the season gimmick always interested me because all of the little changes each season brings was like an extra layer to potentially most every screen in the game. ages always felt a bit disjointed because it was mainly just 'this screen except a couple things are shuffled around' while manipulating the seasons felt like putting together a jigsaw puzzle in a certain way. not that it's ever super complicated, but to an extent i prefer that to yet another block pushing puzzle.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Glazius posted:

Cross-game transfer is such a neat technology that's still such a rarity. Especially now that you've got console saves, there's just so much potential. But I guess actually or potentially limiting your audience in that way is kind of publisher Kryptonite, so all you ever get is a boss that knows you like to play Castlevania.

This kind of reminds me about the Stop-n-Swop stuff that was ultimately removed from Banjo Kazooie. IIRC you were going to get something in one game, then it would store stuff in the N64's RAM while you switched from one cart to the other and unlocked something in the second game. Not sure how far along they got with it other than storing models for the secrets in BK.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

This kind of reminds me about the Stop-n-Swop stuff that was ultimately removed from Banjo Kazooie. IIRC you were going to get something in one game, then it would store stuff in the N64's RAM while you switched from one cart to the other and unlocked something in the second game. Not sure how far along they got with it other than storing models for the secrets in BK.

They managed to implement it in the XBox ports.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

C-Euro posted:

I don't know how far they actually got, but they didn't end up implementing it not because they ran into problems in the software side of things, but because an N64 hardware revision changed the amount of time that it held data in RAM after shutoff from ten seconds to one second, which changed the prospect from "People can do this easily if we tell them to" to "If we tell people to do this way too many of them will break their N64 or cartridge trying to do it in time".

And yeah, they ended up implementing a version of it in the later ports, though I think in those it just gave you some xbox avatars or something.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Glazius posted:

I was incredibly happy when .Hack implemented a version of this. Felt far more like progression.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BioEnchanted posted:

Seasons I feel has more impact nowadays because Ages deals with pure scifi/hard fantasy in time travel but we are actually living "Winter going straight into summer" and other things - our seasons are out of whack due to environmental factors, so we are directly seeing the theoretical damage Onox would be doing.

Although it is kind of funny if you're like me and are from and live in a place that's never had the four seasons to begin with, just a slightly cooler dry season and a slightly warmer rainy season, and "spring" and "fall" are purely arbitrary.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Cythereal posted:

Although it is kind of funny if you're like me and are from and live in a place that's never had the four seasons to begin with, just a slightly cooler dry season and a slightly warmer rainy season, and "spring" and "fall" are purely arbitrary.

Or somewhere like Canada, where there are only two seasons: Winter and Road Repair.

EDIT: Unless you're in Newfoundland, where there are six seasons: Winter, More Winter, Yet More Winter, gently caress Me Is It Still Snowing?!, Rain, and then a three-day 'Summer' where you might see the sun.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
In retrospect, Vasu having snakes should have been one of the more obvious secrets.

First dungeon is a breeze, except... speaking of "obvious"...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That was some amazing Maple haul!

Anyway, Temple of Seasons coming up! I don't recall, do we meet Best Race when we go there this time?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't know why, but I really like that big Aquamentus sprite. Also you would have known where to go with the bombs if you looked at your map! :v:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I, too, got stumped (heh) by this dungeon at first because of the bombable wall. I played Ages first and bombs were such a big deal there that it threw me off completely when you just...got them in Seasons.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is it me or is that beach's layout reminiscent of the beach in Link's Awakening?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That screen just east of the first dungeon may have water, but it's far from the worst Maple spot. She can appear on the Ring Shop screen. The one with a big building covering most of it, that is the only place you can go if you use a seed to warp to town.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Torrannor posted:

That was some amazing Maple haul!

Anyway, Temple of Seasons coming up! I don't recall, do we meet Best Race when we go there this time?

All your dreams will come true!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gonna be fun to meet the best side race in the next video :whatup:

also i find it funny that the first dungeon in the combat-focused game probably stumped thorn more than most anything in ages, even if it was mostly a technicality

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's weird how item placements are different in Seasons and Ages. Seasons just gives you bombs, while you get the seed satchel before the first dungeon in Ages.

Also looking forward to the Best Race in Zelda Games.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm pretty sure, looking back, that Seasons gives you bombs just like that because that's what Zelda 1 also did.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We get this game's gimmick item, and it's much more dynamic than Ages'.

Also Link's Awakening DX has started for my patrons, and I recorded that without the sprite filter. I see what people mean about it making the game look weird now.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Subrosians don't give a gently caress about anything, God bless them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The Subrosians are actually just cultist Gorons.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Subrosia is the most mellow subterranean hell dimension ever and it's great. And somehow I always end up forgetting it's a thing when I consider which of these games I prefer and/or want to replay.

It's no wonder you're getting fed up with Maple, with Maple's Ring it only takes 15 kills to make her spawn (it's normally 30) and this game's full of enemies. Though FYI, if you don't feel like dealing with her you can just leave and reenter the screen when you hear her music start, you don't have to wait for her to show up. (That said, I'm still not over seeing you get the Piece of Heart along with a potion and ring. That was absurd.)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Not only does this game have 4 versions of the map to Ages' 2, it also has Subrosia as an entirely separate (but somewhat smaller) map.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

🎵diggin' around for ore chunks~ 🎵

🎵diggin' down for more chunks~🎵

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I really like Subrosia, it's definitely a nicer area than where the Tokay live. And they're chill people, I suppose taking lava baths in full-length cloaks in a firey underworld means "chill" isn't really the right word but they make it work. I never knew that you could do the dancing minigame a second time to get Dimitri's flute, that's kinda cool and seems like something I should definitely have tried at least once. I think I always ended up getting Ricky's flute because I didn't know how that worked.

In regards to Maple, couldn't you just not bump into her and miss her? I seem to recall that happening when I played, because as a kid I for some reason thought the little shadow on the floor was supposed to be her route and ended up standing in the wrong place entirely.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's criminal that the subrosians haven't been used in another game yet

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

cant cook creole bream posted:

The Subrosians are actually just cultist Gorons.

They're kinda like jawas crossed with dwarves, only less racist.

That sign and lady going on about chimney sweeps had me tilt my head, must be a change to the PAL version, cause in both my original USA cartridge and 3DS Virtual Console games the sign welcomes Santa and she gets mad at you for not being Santa.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Kerning Chameleon posted:

They're kinda like jawas crossed with dwarves, only less racist.

That sign and lady going on about chimney sweeps had me tilt my head, must be a change to the PAL version, cause in both my original USA cartridge and 3DS Virtual Console games the sign welcomes Santa and she gets mad at you for not being Santa.

I can verify that the US version has different dialogue here, it was Santa in my original copy of the game too.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's criminal that the subrosians haven't been used in another game yet
I think Capcom holds the IP rights to Subrosians. I know they have the rights to Veran and Onox.

Even their official art is awesome.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I honestly found the Subrosian dancing game WAY easier than the Goron one. Probably since it was only three commands per round on a consistent tempo.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

TheDarkFlame posted:

I really like Subrosia, it's definitely a nicer area than where the Tokay live. And they're chill people, I suppose taking lava baths in full-length cloaks in a firey underworld means "chill" isn't really the right word but they make it work. I never knew that you could do the dancing minigame a second time to get Dimitri's flute, that's kinda cool and seems like something I should definitely have tried at least once. I think I always ended up getting Ricky's flute because I didn't know how that worked.

It's actually not quite how you get Dimitri's flute, because that would be simple. No, what you have to do is win the dancing game six times. The prizes are, in order: boomerang, 50 ore, gasha seed, 50 ore, 50 ore, Dmitri's flute.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Carbon dioxide posted:

Not only does this game have 4 versions of the map to Ages' 2, it also has Subrosia as an entirely separate (but somewhat smaller) map.

The map is Seasons is also larger than either map in Ages (in terms of # of map squares).

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

I think Capcom holds the IP rights to Subrosians. I know they have the rights to Veran and Onox.

Even their official art is awesome.

I'm totally down to have another Capcom Zelda game if it means more Subrosians.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i will fight capcom with my bare fists for the rights to them, and i will win

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

senrath posted:

It's actually not quite how you get Dimitri's flute, because that would be simple. No, what you have to do is win the dancing game six times. The prizes are, in order: boomerang, 50 ore, gasha seed, 50 ore, 50 ore, Dmitri's flute.

Having done Seasons on 3ds with savestates, I can confirm that's not true. Boomerang is first, avter that is a random prize pool with the flute in it. Got it on my third go after going seven without and reloading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Having done Seasons on 3ds with savestates, I can confirm that's not true. Boomerang is first, avter that is a random prize pool with the flute in it. Got it on my third go after going seven without and reloading.

I was going based on the SGDQ run from this year where they just said "it's the sixth prize, thanks for voting for him" and got it on the sixth.