Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Fool posted:

IANAL, but I don't believe they can cut your pay rate without you agreeing to it.

You "have to agree to it", but it's not like you can just tell them "nah dawg, I'm actually gonna keep working at the old rate, lol". I mean, you can and should try, but the company also has to agree that they still want you around. If you refuse to accept they pay cut, they'll probably just fire you. Which if you've already made up your mind to leave, and are just trying to get them to be the one to pull the trigger so you can collect unemployment, is maybe an OK outcome. But unless you have a strong union representing you (:911:), you don't have much legal recourse, as far as I understand things. A retroactive paycut is totally illegal, though.

IANAL either, so this is internet bullshitting at its finest

Inspector_666 posted:

I have thought about making a Powershell script that just kept running through two processes called "Initalizing" and "Compiling" with progress bars and maybe some random output or something and just leaving that running on one monitor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I guess the question is if firing someone for refusing a pay cut counts as termination with cause or without cause.

I’ll be recording any meetings because one party consent state :dealwithit:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

JFC now with the stupid restrictions and the reduction in what I’m doing they might also be cutting my pay. Is constructive dismissal an exception for never quit?

It also depends on whether the HR manager realizes how risky of a move it is.

Man your story gets worse and worse :smith:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I guess the question is if firing someone for refusing a pay cut counts as termination with cause or without cause.

Start each meeting with making GBS threads on their desks to establish dominance.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Zz-Nkkaxc

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

LochNessMonster posted:

Start each meeting with making GBS threads on their desks to establish dominance.

I tell everyone I know to do this. They don’t and surprise they are all stuck in their lame jobs.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's without cause in all 50 states. In at least California you'd be eligible for unemployment if you noted out.

Just get the whole scam in writing first.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

George H.W. oval office posted:

I tell everyone I know to do this. They don’t and surprise they are all stuck in their lame jobs.

The trick is to poo poo on the conference table during your interview. You've asserted your dominance so you'll be hired, and the experience is fresh in their minds, so you shouldn't have to go desk-making GBS threads for at least a year or two.

You may have to adjust your strategy for phone or video interviews.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

nullfunction posted:

The trick is to poo poo on the conference table during your interview. You've asserted your dominance so you'll be hired, and the experience is fresh in their minds, so you shouldn't have to go desk-making GBS threads for at least a year or two.

You may have to adjust your strategy for phone or video interviews.

I definitely did a phone interview on the toilet a month or two ago.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just gotta have hot chocolate high velocity on standby

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Matt Zerella posted:

I definitely did a phone interview on the toilet a month or two ago.

This is one of the most important benefits of working from home. Never again will a conference call create a scheduling conflict with the coffee that was scheduled right before it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

mllaneza posted:

That's without cause in all 50 states. In at least California you'd be eligible for unemployment if you noted out.

Just get the whole scam in writing first.

Do you have a source for that? Not wanting to be an rear end in a top hat, just nervous. Most employment contract stuff I can find is for commonwealth countries.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do you have a source for that? Not wanting to be an rear end in a top hat, just nervous. Most employment contract stuff I can find is for commonwealth countries.

If you're in the states, call your local department of labor. I know here in NY if you're given more responsibilities without a pay bump, you can quit and go on unemployment. Ive been on unemployment since January when I got laid off and my local office has been a pleasure to deal with, and I'm not being sarcastic.

I got an offer today. It's at a MSP but it doesn't seem to Be a factory of sadness, I'm not on helpdesk duty, it's a 10k paybump from my last job, and it looks like I'm going to get a lot of new experience. So I'm kind of excited to get back out there and relieve some of the financial pressure my wife has generously been shouldering for the past 6 months. Gonna start saving to take her on a nice vacation in the spring.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

I got an offer today. It's at a MSP but it doesn't seem to Be a factory of sadness, I'm not on helpdesk duty, it's a 10k paybump from my last job, and it looks like I'm going to get a lot of new experience. So I'm kind of excited to get back out there and relieve some of the financial pressure my wife has generously been shouldering for the past 6 months. Gonna start saving to take her on a nice vacation in the spring.

Hey man, that's great news. I know you've been struggling to find a new job and I'm really glad that it sounds like it is working out for you. Congrats!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

Hey man, that's great news. I know you've been struggling to find a new job and I'm really glad that it sounds like it is working out for you. Congrats!

Thank you! Just waiting on the official offer letter, got an informal email today.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Matt Zerella posted:

If you're in the states, call your local department of labor. I know here in NY if you're given more responsibilities without a pay bump, you can quit and go on unemployment. Ive been on unemployment since January when I got laid off and my local office has been a pleasure to deal with, and I'm not being sarcastic.

The people I dealt with out on Long Island were also real easy and nice. My biggest issue was that I had to go in for an in-person thing and it was far away, but that's just LI.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

The people I dealt with out on Long Island were also real easy and nice. My biggest issue was that I had to go in for an in-person thing and it was far away, but that's just LI.

Yeah, all I had to do was hop on the 7 and go out to Flushing for a few in person things where the instructor literally used the term "fake news" but otherwise everyone was super nice and helpful with interview coaching and resume services. Their job search portal is ok but not great for IT work.

Then I went and got good as hell dumplings on my way home.

I'm from LI and had to do the Babylon to Riverhead jury duty thing once and it was hell.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Anyone working with graylog to capture network flow traffic itt? It looks like it only supports netflow, not ipfix or sflow. Is that right? We use Extreme switches running EXOS, so it looks like I can't send network flow traffic to graylog as a result. :/

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Lookup the unemployment laws for your state.

In CA to qualify you have to meet the work earnings threshold, be ready and willing to work, looking for work, and lose your job through no fault of your own. In practice any reason you are fired besides gross negligence is enough to qualify, even poor performance. Quitting because of a significant pay cut is constructive dismissal in CA.

In many states if the employer contests the unemployment application it will be denied without reviewing any details for either side, you need to appeal before the case will be looked at by a real person.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It's worth noting that CA is way better about employee protections than pretty much anywhere else in the US. Don't assume that any given regulation exists in (any) other states. Research your own specific situation.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I just found out today that the job I'm interviewing for tomorrow requires a week of training in Tel-Aviv, Israel. He Mr. Recruiter, you never thought about bringing that up?

He also keeps calling it a Network Administrator position, but it's actually support for clients. Looks like mostly Firewall stuff. I'm not 100% sold, but if the money is right their dress code is jeans and t-shirt and they work half day Fridays so I might just say gently caress it and go for a ride.

Why do (most) recruiters suck so loving much?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, I’ll see if the Colorado Labor website has anything.

I’m feeling cautiously optimistic, I’ve got three entry level dev positions to apply to. The only thing is I have an AS rather than a BS, which is generally where it falls apart. Here’s hoping.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Also re cell phones and perks for executives, there’s O(10) of them and O(100) to O(10000) of you.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

siggy2021 posted:

I just found out today that the job I'm interviewing for tomorrow requires a week of training in Tel-Aviv, Israel. He Mr. Recruiter, you never thought about bringing that up?

He also keeps calling it a Network Administrator position, but it's actually support for clients. Looks like mostly Firewall stuff. I'm not 100% sold, but if the money is right their dress code is jeans and t-shirt and they work half day Fridays so I might just say gently caress it and go for a ride.

Alternatively traveling is dope and that would be fun as hell during the down time

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

George H.W. oval office posted:

Alternatively traveling is dope and that would be fun as hell during the down time

I would probably be thrown in jail if I went to Israel tbh.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I am cleaning out some old bins and I just found a Novell Netware 5 CD.

Stop me before I put together a VM and try to get a NetWare IPX/SPX server running.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

No, you should do it and write it up. It sounds like a fun thing to read about someone else doing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nope, never again

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The Fool posted:

No, you should do it and write it up. It sounds like a fun thing to read about someone else doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM5uNxtT0Mk

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

When I was young and unattached, I was too much of a wuss to think about jobs that involved extensive travel or living overseas. Now that I'm older, the chance to see the world on someone else's dime sounds cool... but I don't want to do that to my wife and kids, so welp. Take those travel opportunities while you can, people (I know nothing about siggy2021's personal situation, obviously, so maybe it's totally untenable for any number of reasons).

Agrikk posted:

I am cleaning out some old bins and I just found a Novell Netware 5 CD.

Stop me before I put together a VM and try to get a NetWare IPX/SPX server running.

:yeshaha:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Docjowles posted:

When I was young and unattached, I was too much of a wuss to think about jobs that involved extensive travel or living overseas. Now that I'm older, the chance to see the world on someone else's dime sounds cool... but I don't want to do that to my wife and kids, so welp. Take those travel opportunities while you can, people (I know nothing about siggy2021's personal situation, obviously, so maybe it's totally untenable for any number of reasons).

One of the reasons I took my old job was opportunity to travel (it was in the fashion industry). Got to go to Dubai, Milan, Paris, London, and Los Angeles and it was a ton of fun because our company was pretty liberal with travel accommodations and expensing. Got to stay in some real nice hotels, especially in LA.

I didn't get to see a lot but goddamn my trips to Paris were full of incredible food.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Docjowles posted:

No it's like totally cool, it just would have been nice to know before the day before the interview so I could prep and look into that kind of thing.

I am having fun right now trying to explain to my wife that no, we cannot afford a $2000 plane ticket for you to come with me.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

On the other hand, if you hit it off with them during the interview, that sounds like a thing you could ask for in your counter offer :) Depending on your seniority and how bad they want you etc etc.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Finally got my new role announced, I get to move out of service management and development teams and into strategy and technology roadmaps. Only problem is that we need to replace me first before I can move onto my new role. Check out my job posting https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075135&pagenumber=99#post486409048

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I wouldn't mind traveling around the word especially if it's on the company's dime.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

siggy2021 posted:

CheckPoint?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

This brought me back to installing a Voodoo3 card into my comp when I was 10 just so I could play Quake 2 in GL mode.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Vargatron posted:

This brought me back to installing a Voodoo3 card into my comp when I was 10 just so I could play Quake 2 in GL mode.

I forgot all about those goddamn master/slave jumpers.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I was reminiscing the other day about the first ~* gaming rig *~ I built from scratch in high school. I'm a bit hazy on the specs, but it definitely had a Voodoo2 card, 128MB of RAM, and a Pentium 2 with a clock measured in Mhz. And a sweet, sweet 56k modem.

It owned hard :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Docjowles posted:

A thousand times this. :sigh:

The Fool posted:

Also this.

Also also, NetWare 4.Something had the best management console I ever used.