Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

DC are gonna have a foil covers month, which sounds dumb, but it means everything they just previewed today's solicits is very monochrome and most look pretty classy that way, at least before the shininess is applied.
Steve Rude
John Paul Leon
Yasmine Putri
Joelle Jones
Alex Maleev
Dan Panosian

I really like the ww and suicide squad covers

I mean theyre all good, but those two stood out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Daredevil #50. Bendis/Maleev

This is such a fantastic short little sequence. Daredevil is mad at Fisk and they're having their big confrontation for this arc. Doesn't matter why, read the Bendis DD stuff if you haven't already.

Maleev has been doing this gritty, grainy, very 'realistic' art for a while. The rest of the issue looks like this.

But then something starts to happen.

The art gets, with each page and each panel, more cartoon-y and more abstracted.

As Matt realizes, basically, that he's stuck in the comic book loop, that just having the classic fistfight with a crimelord isn't going to solve any problems. He'll always come back, the status quo between them resets, no matter how violent either one of them gets.

As he gasps for air, he blacks out and the art snaps back to the Maleev standard. Then this is the issue where Daredevil stops being a pure vigilante and declares himself the Kingpin of Hell's Kitchen. Harmony of words and pictures, etc etc.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Or... it was an anniversary issue and they used several famous Daredevil artists with wildly different styles?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Yeah, the panels that aren't in Maleev's traditional style is because they're by (in order) Gene Colan, Lee Weeks, Klaus Janson, John Romita, Joe Quesada, Michael Avon Oeming, and David Mack. Each of these people had runs on Daredevil over the years, and it was a neat thing to illustrate sort of the motif you're describing, but it's also just an excuse to get a bunch of former artists in on the Anniversary issue, they do it a lot. DC did it with Batman 50 just a couple of weeks ago.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

drat, Romita Sr was still so good, even in 2003. That panel rules.

Also, was each penciller being inked by someone different?

Edit: Apparently, yes.

Penciler: Alex Maleev/Gene Colan/Lee Weeks/Klaus Janson/John Romita Sr./Joe Quesada/Mike Avon Oeming/David Mack

Inker: Alex Maleev/Dave Gutierrez/Tom Palmer/Klaus Janson/Al Milgrom/Danny Miki/Mike Avon Oeming/David Mack

So I guess Romita Sr. was inked by Milgrom.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 24, 2018

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lobok posted:

drat, Romita Sr was still so good, even in 2003. That panel rules.

Also, was each penciller being inked by someone different?

Edit: Apparently, yes.

Penciler: Alex Maleev/Gene Colan/Lee Weeks/Klaus Janson/John Romita Sr./Joe Quesada/Mike Avon Oeming/David Mack

Inker: Alex Maleev/Dave Gutierrez/Tom Palmer/Klaus Janson/Al Milgrom/Danny Miki/Mike Avon Oeming/David Mack

So I guess Romita Sr. was inked by Milgrom.

It's funny, I never had a problem with Maleevs style (in fact I thought it really complimented the story) but it is kind of wack to see how much more dynamic those other guys are in portraying a fight scene.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Maleev's action always had kind of a mannequins posed in kung fu stances look to me. He gets away with it by working on books that are 90% talking.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lurdiak posted:

Maleev's action always had kind of a mannequins posed in kung fu stances look to me. He gets away with it by working on books that are 90% talking.

Agreed. I liked him well enough, his style was interesting, and that whole Bendis-Brubaker run is so loving good I looked past it but you're right. The action elements he rendered were really stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maleev uses posed reference I believe, but his colors and shading are good enough that it doesn't seem as artificial to me as say Tony Harris.

For an actual use of the intentional art change, it happens in another Bendis book, Alias #23, where they trade in Michael Gaydos' gritty, noir-ish panels for bright colors and Mark Bagley pencils for the Jewel back story, it's really cool.

Not from the same issue but that's what Alias looks like when Gaydos is drawing.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lobok posted:

Ditko seems like a spoiled ballot kind of guy.
He writes in Lizard People for every contest and he always votes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bagley is pretty loving good. I love is style on Ultimate Spiderman.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like his motion and layouts, I hate his faces.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Bagley kept me from reading Spider-Man for decades tbh

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was pretty stoked when Immonen took over on issue like 120 or whatever. Pichelli's work on Bendis' Miles book is spectacular.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CannonFodder posted:

He writes in Lizard People for every contest and he always votes.

Don't blame him, he voted for Kang and Kodos?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Tiny hands Wolverine.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Did he have a secondary mutation to get sewing needle claws as well?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm the best at what I do, and what I do is fine needle work and clothes repair at competitive prices!

bub

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Say Nothing posted:

Tiny hands Wolverine.

Huge barrel chest. Itty bitty t-rex arms!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

Tiny hands Wolverine.

How the gently caress did this make it past editorial and how did someone get paid to draw this? I could draw Wolverine better when I was 13.

Who would you guys say is the most underrated comic artist? Either all time or currently?

I never hear Bernie Wrightson, Michael Golden or P. Craig Russell get brought up a lot and I think they're all really awesome. There was a dude named Kerry Gammill that worked a lot on Power Man and Iron Fist who was sort of in the George Perez mold that I never felt got enough love. Simonson never seems to get the attention and praise he deserves.

Conversely, who do you think is overrated? I'd say both Romita's, Starlin, Ditko, Mazzucchelli, Sal Buscema, Carmine Infantino and Curt Swan off the top of my head. I like some of their stuff and they're certainly all GOOD but I never thought they were legendary.

Just throwing some poo poo out there.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I think that's Chaykin. I think that's because he didn't give a poo poo and he's been around for a long time.

Also, Bernie Wrightson was amazing, though I feel that he probably comes up more often when talking horror comics, rather than superheroes.

And Alex Ross just doesn't really do anything for me, though I'm not quite sure on why.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i think ross is a great still image artist but like when i was reading kingdom come i was barely tolerating the art anytime he was drawing dynamic action

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I dreamt I was arguing with people about dynamism in art and I blame this thread.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Despite being a top name hero at marvel, Wolverine has had a lot of bad artist (and writers) work on his series.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gaunab posted:

Despite being a top name hero at marvel, Wolverine has had a lot of bad artist (and writers) work on his series.

I feel like he only really got one decent solo story as well and all the rest of his stories* are throwaway stuff of awful to Ok quality at best.

*and god are there a lot of them

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That picture gets brought up at least every six months.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

site posted:

i think ross is a great still image artist but like when i was reading kingdom come i was barely tolerating the art anytime he was drawing dynamic action

Yeah. Storytelling is not Ross' strength but even in a lot of panels from Kingdom Come (and Marvels as well), he had a knack for creating a certain resonance and dynamism in a lot of the panels. Mostly still shots though. I'm thinking of a few of Diana's facial expressions, Clark on the farm, Bruce's patrolling robots, Galactus landing and walking through the buildings and a lot of the illustrations with the Specter and the priest. The action scenes he renders aren't as good by a long shot.

He's better when the scene doesn't have a lot of movement for sure. Probably because of all the photo reference he uses. But a lot of it is incredible and, at them time, I'd never seen anything like it. That splash page of Captain Marvel standing over Kal-El is incredible. The upside down shot of Spiderman with the camera.

Ross has a way of making these characters iconic and dynamic that I still love but action is not his thing.

EDIT: He did a 4 part tabloid size thing with Justice League that was probably his high point for rendering action. I have it laying around somewhere.

remusclaw posted:

I feel like he (Wolverine) only really got one decent solo story as well and all the rest of his stories* are throwaway stuff of awful to Ok quality at best.

Which one? the Miller series?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 31, 2018

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Which one? the Miller series?

That's my recollection, and even then I have seen some pretty solid criticism of the art in it and I'm sure it has all the issues one can find in a Frank Miller work you liked when you were younger.

Man I read soo much Wolverine and what little of it I remember is the really bad stuff. Like Wolverine, unstoppable Mutant Terminator that he became by this point in comics haunting a concentration camp director for months and driving him nuts instead of just killing all the Nazis, or picking up a hitchhiker who reveals himself as a serial killer and then deliberately getting into an accident to kill him like the writer had just seen Grindhouse or something.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 31, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

remusclaw posted:

I feel like he only really got one decent solo story as well and all the rest of his stories* are throwaway stuff of awful to Ok quality at best.

*and god are there a lot of them

Back in the day, maybe, but there's been a lot of good Wolverine comics published in the 2000s.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

remusclaw posted:

That's my recollection, and even then I have seen some pretty solid criticism of the art in it and I'm sure it has all the issues one can find in a Frank Miller work you liked when you were younger.

This is the way I like to see Wolverine's claws. Some artists draw them more like spikes, which is lame. This kicks rear end. :black101:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

prefect posted:

This is the way I like to see Wolverine's claws. Some artists draw them more like spikes, which is lame. This kicks rear end. :black101:

I like the look of Frank Millers stuff in general, but it is more how the fights scenes are laid out in anime space and in an order that makes little sense. I didn't notice when reading it myself but looking at it after seeing that critique it is absolutely true. And yeah Knife claws over stiletto claws 100%.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I like the BKV Logan mini.

Also Wolverine and the X-Men is absolutely good Wolverine.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

RandallODim posted:

I like the BKV Logan mini.

Also Wolverine and the X-Men is absolutely good Wolverine.

I should absolutely have specified that I meant Wolverine solo stuff. His solo book always seemed like inconsequential filler when reading it, and when it even bothered to keep with regular X-Men continuity, it just meant that poo poo changed off page if all you were following was the solo book. Core Wolverine stuff generally happens in X-Men books not Wolverine books is what I'm saying, and what I'm saying is probably somewhat dated.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I haven't read a lot of it (Wolverine solo). I got out of comics for a while around 1990 but Old Man Logan was loving terrible. The art was ok I guess which is what this thread is about anyway.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The original? The Bendis/Sorrentino mini and then Lemire/Sorrentino ongoing were good.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

remusclaw posted:

I should absolutely have specified that I meant Wolverine solo stuff. His solo book always seemed like inconsequential filler when reading it, and when it even bothered to keep with regular X-Men continuity, it just meant that poo poo changed off page if all you were following was the solo book. Core Wolverine stuff generally happens in X-Men books not Wolverine books is what I'm saying, and what I'm saying is probably somewhat dated.

Claremont and Buscema's run on the Wolverine ongoing is pretty good. He's in Madripoor entirely removed from X-stuff and you never see him in costume except for flashbacks.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

TheManWithNoName posted:

Claremont and Buscema's run on the Wolverine ongoing is pretty good. He's in Madripoor entirely removed from X-stuff and you never see him in costume except for flashbacks.

well guess i know the next thing i'm tracking down to read

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

RandallODim posted:

well guess i know the next thing i'm tracking down to read

The volume 1 Epic collection has the Marvel Comics Presents story that set up the city of Madripoor and his supporting cast as well. Wolverine adopts an alter-ego named Patch (cuz he wears an eye patch) and yeah, no costume and he really avoids popping his claws, making it a big deal when they actually come out. The rest of the collection has a decent Peter David story as well as the big fight in issue #10 between Logan and Sabretooth.

I keep jocking the Epic collections but I love that format so much.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Larry Hama's run is very 90s but in a way that reminds you what appealed to people who lived through it-- it's over the top, colorful, kinetic, and ridiculous, throwing Logan indiscriminately from backwoods noir to time travel to half-incoherent international conspiracy in a way that hangs together way more elegantly than it has any right to. It gets a lot out of sheer energy and momentum, and it certainly isn't for everyone but I'd put it up there with Gen X for 90s X-stuff that remains readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

TheManWithNoName posted:

The volume 1 Epic collection has the Marvel Comics Presents story that set up the city of Madripoor and his supporting cast as well. Wolverine adopts an alter-ego named Patch (cuz he wears an eye patch) and yeah, no costume and he really avoids popping his claws, making it a big deal when they actually come out. The rest of the collection has a decent Peter David story as well as the big fight in issue #10 between Logan and Sabretooth.

I keep jocking the Epic collections but I love that format so much.

It's seriously the Patch origin? I need to read this even more.