Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

bewilderment posted:

Probably a dumb question answered years ago, but as of CofD, what's the explanation for vampires who start at BP 1 (which is still the default) then getting a weird bloodline that suddenly radically changes them? Handled more on a case by case basis for the story, or is there also a more generic "yeah as you increase in blood potency there can be some weird effects as the blood awakens" explanation?

They're taught how to 'change' their Blood to match the Bloodline's blood variance, through mystical manipulation of the blood. Or they create it themselves if they're founding the Bloodline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Enjoy posted:

Just signed up for my first larp, a Vampire all-nighter in Stockholm in 2 months, wish me luck

Good luck, hope you enjoy it!

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

bewilderment posted:

Probably a dumb question answered years ago, but as of CofD, what's the explanation for vampires who start at BP 1 (which is still the default) then getting a weird bloodline that suddenly radically changes them? Handled more on a case by case basis for the story, or is there also a more generic "yeah as you increase in blood potency there can be some weird effects as the blood awakens" explanation?

Bloodlines with more significant appearance changes tend to take time or drastic change for those to appear, like BP gain (serpentine features of the Gorgons) or Humanity loss (the bestial appearances of the Carnon only appear as you lower in Humanity) . As it is, the only way to 'join' a bloodline at BP 1 is if your sire is a member, in which case it's the supernatural version of genetics. As you go up in BP you can join them from outside but you generally have to have a blood tie to a member. Then you need to be BP 6 or higher to actually create one.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

To me the 'weirdness' of bloodlines is best explored in the fiction of your individual table. I imagine some bloodlines (particularly the 'bad' ones that no player would likely write into their backstory unless they wanted to use them) where you get cursed or whatever are generally involuntary and inexplicable. When you're first sired you're just kind of a ticking time bomb waiting to go off and like someone from a family with a prominent genetic condition you're just dreading it.

The 'good' ones might be involuntarily or might have a rite of passage or maybe both.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
New preview is up for Geist, this time it's the antagonists and locations.
Reapers seem cool, the examples are nice too. Mass and the judge both seem like good long term villains to slot on. I think they need a little more detail though, like do they gain essence from reaping ghosts, it kind of seems like it but it's not stated. It says they destroy anchors too, but given that your body it an anchor it seems like that means they should be destroying graveyards left and right.

Eaters of the Dead I really like, creepy with lots of potential variety in who they are and how they work. I really appreciate the science fiction based ones too, keeps everyone on their toes. The fact that they are incentivized to eat celebrities is just the icing on the cake for plot hooks.

Necromancer's are pretty similar to Eaters, but not as creepy as antagonists. The note about killing them just meaning you've made an angry powerful ghost is good, but that should apply to Eaters just as much, probably more. They should make nice in the know NPCs to bargain or gossip with. I really do like how Geist has so many more possible low powered in on it PCs then the other game lines. Hell a Geist can just tell people they are a medium and while some people are going to think they are a scammer no one will think they are too crazy. After all most people believe in ghosts, even if they don't believe in werewolves and vampires.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They might be able to just sever the spiritual tie of the body anchor, or speed decomposition or something.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Mors Rattus posted:

They might be able to just sever the spiritual tie of the body anchor, or speed decomposition or something.

That would make sense. I think some more clarification on Reapers in general would be good. Like the DC section talks about a famous 100 year old haunted house. How come Reapers haven't dragged those ghosts, or even the whole house, to the Underworld. Are they just rare enough that none of them have gotten around to it?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I got his card!

Hate this guy

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, same. That scene in the H:tR corebook where he failed to save the young hunter's life stayed with me.

For some reason he and Crusader17 really stuck with me.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/20/people-want-to-drink-the-red-liquid-from-newly-opened-4000-year-old-sarcophagus-7740238/

quote:

The discovery of the black sarcophagus in Alexandria sparked interest the world over, and amongst friends was immediately picked up as a symbol of hope. People were given an opportunity they’re often denied in recent times – to picture a brighter, more optimistic future in which the earth is blighted, torn apart and consumed piece by piece at the hands of furious immortal Egyptian gods. The potential to unleash this curse upon ourselves by opening the sarcophagus offered a degree of control over our lives which, in the current political and financial climate, we’re so often denied. ‘Many felt let down when the dark and extremely cursed sarcophagus was pried open to reveal only skeletons drenched in raw sewage, which is weird because skeletons are inherently pretty awesome. However, I stand true to the hope we were promised, and deeply believe that by consuming the skeleton juice in the form of a carbonated high caffeine energy drink that we can still have the opportunity to enter an era of unending darkness and despair. I’m so glad to see others backing the petition, and sharing in my mission to rapidly bring about the end of all things.

I'm kind of empathizing with the "Bring on the locusts already, I'm ready for this clown fiesta to be over" mindset.

Crasical fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 24, 2018

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Enjoy posted:

Hate this guy

He's a massive dick in the VTES card game, too.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Enjoy posted:

Hate this guy

I will fight you with knives.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

neaden posted:

New preview is up for Geist, this time it's the antagonists and locations.
Reapers seem cool, the examples are nice too. Mass and the judge both seem like good long term villains to slot on. I think they need a little more detail though, like do they gain essence from reaping ghosts, it kind of seems like it but it's not stated. It says they destroy anchors too, but given that your body it an anchor it seems like that means they should be destroying graveyards left and right.

Eaters of the Dead I really like, creepy with lots of potential variety in who they are and how they work. I really appreciate the science fiction based ones too, keeps everyone on their toes. The fact that they are incentivized to eat celebrities is just the icing on the cake for plot hooks.

Necromancer's are pretty similar to Eaters, but not as creepy as antagonists. The note about killing them just meaning you've made an angry powerful ghost is good, but that should apply to Eaters just as much, probably more. They should make nice in the know NPCs to bargain or gossip with. I really do like how Geist has so many more possible low powered in on it PCs then the other game lines. Hell a Geist can just tell people they are a medium and while some people are going to think they are a scammer no one will think they are too crazy. After all most people believe in ghosts, even if they don't believe in werewolves and vampires.

How much Bleach has gotten shoved into that Reaper section?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Shockeh posted:

He's a massive dick in the VTES card game, too.

I have a friend who always plays Hunters in V:tES. Thankfully my Samedi Anarch deck is a good counter.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MoonKnight posted:

I'm still kinda dismayed about Bleach's change in tone, scope, and aesthetic between the very first arc and, well, everything else.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm still kinda dismayed about Bleach's change in tone, scope, and aesthetic between the very first arc and, well, everything else.

You mean you didn't like the German blood purists being lead by capital G God?

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Kurieg posted:

He probably means 'putting restless ghosts to rest/fixing evil ghosts with a Japanese reskin' and the swap to 'Meiji-era Japanese Afterlife Superheroics'?

ETA: I totes misread your post. That'll teach me to post on like 2 hours sleep.

MoonKnight fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 24, 2018

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Kurieg posted:

In a world where shonen anime usually starts off fun and eventually crawls up its own rear end, Bleach in the worst offender.

I'm deathly afraid My Hero Academia is going to reveal that Sumerian Deities are the source of all Quirks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

MoonKnight posted:

He probably means 'putting restless ghosts to rest/fixing evil ghosts with a Japanese reskin' and the swap to 'Meiji-era Japanese Afterlife Superheroics'?

Yeah, exactly.

I liked that the early story is kind of melancholy, kind of dark, kind of hopeful. Kid gets ghost powers, fights the ghost that ate his mom, and in the process comes to realize that as evil as it was it's not worth hating the creature; it's just something bad that happened, and has been put as right as it can be in this world.

I also liked the hook of his mentor getting in serious trouble for helping him -- basically breaking the law because her conscience demanded it -- but of course as soon as they actually get to Soul Society, Rukia mostly just passively waits to be rescued.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

MoonKnight posted:

I've never seen bleach. Reapers are basically body horror geists. They all have a mask of some kind that they can take on or off. When the mask is off they are a regular ghost. With the mask on they are rank 3-5 and transform into a body horror semi human monstrosity that hunts down and eats ghosts by turning their ribs into a giant mouth or disengaging their jaws, then vomits them back out in the Underworld. Some of them are good intentioned who honestly believe ghosts shouldn't be in the living world. they will try to convince ghosts to peacefully pass through a gate and if they do eat someone they make sure to vomit them up somewhere nice. Others are purely mercenary, being a reaper gives them access to what they want. Others are basically monsters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Naruto went kind of overboard with it's own mythology and power creep, but compared to Bleach it's positively restrained, and at least seems like the ending to Shippuden was planned out from the start. Whereas Kubo is quoted as saying any time he wrote himself into a corner he'd introduce a new character with exactly the power to get out of the current situation.

Though Madara gets close to Aizen levels of "I know you'd know I'd know you'd know"

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

neaden posted:

I've never seen bleach. Reapers are basically body horror geists. They all have a mask of some kind that they can take on or off. When the mask is off they are a regular ghost. With the mask on they are rank 3-5 and transform into a body horror semi human monstrosity that hunts down and eats ghosts by turning their ribs into a giant mouth or disengaging their jaws, then vomits them back out in the Underworld. Some of them are good intentioned who honestly believe ghosts shouldn't be in the living world. they will try to convince ghosts to peacefully pass through a gate and if they do eat someone they make sure to vomit them up somewhere nice. Others are purely mercenary, being a reaper gives them access to what they want. Others are basically monsters.

So it REALLY draws on the Hollows from Bleach, which are Ghosts that couldn't rest and eat OTHER ghosts to fill their emptiness. They're defined by their big-rear end masks, and the taking off/on of the masks draws from an evolution of the Hollow, the Visored, and to an extent the Arrancar (who stick all their ghost powers in a death god's scythe-sword and get their mask back when they transform using the sword). I suppose at least some of these Reapers seem altruistic from your description, which is at least different from EAT ALL THE THINGS Hollows.

MoonKnight fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 24, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Alternatively, you are seeing patterns in the movement of zebras.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It's pretty plausible that the people who proudly cited Fullmetal Alchemist as an influence on Promethean might have heard of the 2nd- or 3rd-most popular shonen of its day.

e: edited for less sarcasm

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 24, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It’s more the ‘oh clearly this is inspired by the specific and detailed metaphysics of Bleach’, which is rather more than a reference.

That seems, uh, unlikely, especially with death masks being an association vastly predating that.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's pretty plausible that the people who proudly cited Fullmetal Alchemist as an influence on Promethean might have heard of the 2nd- or 3rd-most popular shonen of its day.

e: edited for less sarcasm

Different developers, different tastes. Beyond being vaguely aware that an anime called Bleach exists, I know absolutely nothing about it. Any resemblance between Reapers and whatever's going on in Bleach is purely coincidental.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

GimpInBlack posted:

Different developers, different tastes. Beyond being vaguely aware that an anime called Bleach exists, I know absolutely nothing about it. Any resemblance between Reapers and whatever's going on in Bleach is purely coincidental.

It's possible the Reapers writer has seen it, though.

Eh, people keep telling me that Deviant's based on some anime or other, and I'm like "if so, it's purely coincidental". I mean, I know what Kamen Rider is about, but beyond half an hour's worth of youtubing I've never *seen* it. I am not the game's only Developer, though, and certainly not it's only writer.

Fans often tend to assume that freelancer's media consumption must be entirely based around their output, but living like that leads to being the guy everyone avoids at conventions because he has an expansive knowledge of lovely horror movies and nothing else. Classic-era White Wolf was full of wrestling fans. These days, the shows I enthusiastically talk about with people in the biz are Doctor Who, Glow, and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Naruto went kind of overboard with it's own mythology and power creep, but compared to Bleach it's positively restrained, and at least seems like the ending to Shippuden was planned out from the start. Whereas Kubo is quoted as saying any time he wrote himself into a corner he'd introduce a new character with exactly the power to get out of the current situation.

Though Madara gets close to Aizen levels of "I know you'd know I'd know you'd know"

Minor correction - you said new character singular.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Doctor Who, Glow, and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

Please have whoever's writing C:tL2E put Crazy Ex-Girlfriend in the reference media section and include rules on musical numbers, TIA

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
About the Geist previews: I know there are some OPP staff in here—is Caul 1, especially with Dread Geist, supposed to be as strong as it is? Even without the merit that’s potentially 5+ to your roll for one charge, and with it, even EVENLY spread you’re replacing your stats with 8s or 9s for just one point.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, everyone should be talking about GLOW

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Soonmot posted:

To be fair, everyone should be talking about GLOW

"If Sam says ANYTHING THAT IS NOT SUPPORTIVE HERE HE IS DEAD TO ME-"

*one scene later in a parking lot*

Sam does his best and I love him.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The only anime anyone should be referencing for anything is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

The only anime anyone should be referencing for anything is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Literal punch ghosts

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Your argument is invalid; Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is itself one giant reference to Fist of the North Star.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Your argument is invalid; Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is itself one giant reference to Fist of the North Star.

Fist of the North Star is just Jojo Part 0

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Fist of the North Star is Mad Max.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Latest episode is out.

http://podcast.darker-days.org/e/89-death-is-not-the-end/

We interviewed Karim and Matthew about V5.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

dr_ether posted:

Latest episode is out.

http://podcast.darker-days.org/e/89-death-is-not-the-end/

We interviewed Karim and Matthew about V5.

Do you ask them any hard questions about the history of problems plaguing it, or did you go for all softballs and letting them do PR bits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Eh, people keep telling me that Deviant's based on some anime or other, and I'm like "if so, it's purely coincidental". I mean, I know what Kamen Rider is about, but beyond half an hour's worth of youtubing I've never *seen* it. I am not the game's only Developer, though, and certainly not it's only writer.

I can understand how people telling you 'Well you MUST be referencing X, right?" is probably pretty annoying, but unless I get my hands on the book and it's just entirely vastly different than how I've seen it pitched, I will keep referring to it as Kamen: The Ridering, partly because It's funny to me, and partly because when explaining to my friends why it sounds cool and I'm excited about it, It's a great touchstone for understanding the framework of the game.

Like, it's really handy when explaining Demon to people if you can say 'Have you seen The Matrix? Yes? Good, here are some concepts that are roughly analogous to that'. If you try and explain Mage to someone who knows nothing about it and you start with 'You're a wizard' and they go 'Yer a wizard, Harry' you have to stop and rewind and explain that it's not really like that.