Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It seems like they've got a bunch of these people on self evident fraud charges. As in names signed to their crimes and all - why even offer a plea, let alone immunity? Most of those charges carry 5+ years easy. And even from what's public Manafort is pretty much guaranteed to die in prison. They're letting a bunch of criminals off the hook to make sure the Manafort case is extra extra sure?

I mean, yeah, we all know the white collar criminal system tends to be some bullshit, but if this was a drug bust where they caught them in the act this wouldn't be happening. Pleas to turn life in prison into 10-20 for testimony? Sure. Tossing out immunity left and right to get evidence they don't need to convict? Not a chance.

It’s the way they busted the mob - threaten everyone with iron clad charges that can be pled down so that they give up their capo. Then they get the capo to give up the under boss and then get him to give up the boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s the way they busted the mob - threaten everyone with iron clad charges that can be pled down so that they give up their capo. Then they get the capo to give up the under boss and then get him to give up the boss

Hah. My solution to this was: keep doing crimes while the boss is in jail. It's foolproof!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/07/tesla-to-suppliers-take-a-hit-to-make-us-great/

Tesla is telling its suppliers to basically accept less than full price for already delivered parts.

A bunch of actual businesspeople in AI's EV thread already pointed out that this is normal stuff for large-scale industrial operations. And that thread hates Musk at least as much as this one.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/spettypi/status/1021538159988015104?s=19

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

hobbesmaster posted:

I don't think any of them have looked at the slightest bit of history on how the FBI operate. Not that they get it right all the time, but when they've latched onto you, they a) Do Not Stop b) You either do a deal and serve a little less time or get turbofucked.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Russia is our friend

https://twitter.com/ForsythJenn/status/1021538774008963072?s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

A bunch of actual businesspeople in AI's EV thread already pointed out that this is normal stuff for large-scale industrial operations. And that thread hates Musk at least as much as this one.

Not the reimbursements portion. Yes, its normal for industrial operations to re-negotiate the supplier cost during production, but not to ask for refunds for already purchased parts.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Anyone else thinking of that Onion clip?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Not the reimbursements portion. Yes, its normal for industrial operations to re-negotiate the supplier cost during production, but not to ask for refunds for already purchased parts.

Fair enough. I thought they were parts that were ordered previously but the contract was still being executed. Admittedly I didn't bother digging into it.

God loving drat.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

We've talked about this one in a previous one of these threads. If the cyber war kicked off it'd totally gently caress the computing structure of the US, but not the military bits which thankfully aren't managed by dumb asses. loving good luck if you needed to go to a hospital if that happened though.

Thankfully they really can't do poo poo because you're as deep into their relatively unsecured computing infrastructure too. My security mates have described in similar terms to MAD and it is really.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It seems like they've got a bunch of these people on self evident fraud charges. As in names signed to their crimes and all - why even offer a plea, let alone immunity? Most of those charges carry 5+ years easy. And even from what's public Manafort is pretty much guaranteed to die in prison. They're letting a bunch of criminals off the hook to make sure the Manafort case is extra extra sure?

I mean, yeah, we all know the white collar criminal system tends to be some bullshit, but if this was a drug bust where they caught them in the act this wouldn't be happening. Pleas to turn life in prison into 10-20 for testimony? Sure. Tossing out immunity left and right to get evidence they don't need to convict? Not a chance.

The immunity Mueller is asking for here is not part of any deal. These witnesses aren't 'getting off.' Mueller's asking for immunity in order to force the witnesses to testify over their assertion of their 5th Amendment rights.
This is what is called use immunity. That means he can't use their testimony in court against them. All the other evidence he has against them is still in play and can still be used to prosecute them later. Transactional immunity is the 'can't ever be prosecuted for this' kind of immunity, and is not in play here.

e: cite

joat mon fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 24, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Never don't post in here.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

joat mon posted:

The immunity Mueller is asking for here is not part of any deal. These witnesses aren't 'getting off.' Mueller's asking for immunity in order to force the witnesses to testify over their assertion of their 5th Amendment rights.
This is what is called use immunity. That means he can't use their testimony in court against them. All the other evidence he has against them is still in play and can still be used to prosecute them later. Transactional immunity is the 'can't ever be prosecuted for this' kind of immunity, and is not in play here.

e: cite

Thank you for the cogent explanation.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Godholio posted:

Never don't post in here.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ooo sovcit crackdown up the road from me they're brown

https://wpde.com/news/local/more-than-200-officers-raid-property-in-robeson-county

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

We've talked about this one in a previous one of these threads. If the cyber war kicked off it'd totally gently caress the computing structure of the US, but not the military bits which thankfully aren't managed by dumb asses. loving good luck if you needed to go to a hospital if that happened though.

Thankfully they really can't do poo poo because you're as deep into their relatively unsecured computing infrastructure too. My security mates have described in similar terms to MAD and it is really.

Paradoxically, one of the things that makes the US power grid more difficult to attack is the fact that it's so old, inefficient, and cobbled together among regional entities that are further divided into retail, distribution, transmission, and generation.

Europe's entire power grid basically had to be rebuilt after WWII, so it's much more interconnected and, as a result, susceptible to multi-national blackouts.

To take down the entire US power grid, you'd need to target basically every regional power company (and not just the big ones like Exelon, but their subsidiaries as well). Which is exactly what the Russians did, which is pretty funny and terrifying at the same time. But don't worry, most of these regional operators are kind of maybe starting to take the threat more seriously sort of.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Isn't the US grid split up strangely too? IIRC, Texas is on its on separate power grid thats not connected to the rest of the country.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Saint Celestine posted:

Isn't the US grid split up strangely too? IIRC, Texas is on its on separate power grid thats not connected to the rest of the country.

Yeah, I thought it was East, West, Tejas

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Canada and New York share a large power grid as well.

Edit: and Ohio, PA, parts of New England

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The grids themselves are fairly resilient and fault-tolerant. The 2003 Great Northeast Blackout stands out as the exception, but even that was an example of Swiss cheese theory.

The Russians have so far been targeting distribution networks in Ukraine, because while transmission is highly redundant, substations are effectively single points of failure. If I compromise a distribution control center, I can knock out power to their entire service area with no real way to fix it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The blackout of 2003 kinda puts into perspective how delicate everything is when it was caused by a software bug preventing technicians from noticing everything going to poo poo

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

east, west, tejas, quebecois

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

in one of the iterations of the YOSPOS security gently caress ups thread, someone posted a site (please do not look for it) that scraped the internet for VNC clients that had access to the public Internet and were using default credentials. The amount SCADA systems in it was... absolutely terrifying

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Eej posted:

The blackout of 2003 kinda puts into perspective how delicate everything is when it was caused by a software bug preventing technicians from noticing everything going to poo poo

The most advanced malware we've seen so far targeting electrical networks, Industroyer, seeks to replicate this by performing a man in the middle attack and replaying normal traffic to the control systems while allowing the attackers to issue commands to the RTUs to open relays.

Unlike the first attack in 2015, where the technicians watched the Russians clicking through their terminals, the attack last summer was carried out with the monitoring staff completely unaware that half of the country was losing power.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

in one of the iterations of the YOSPOS security gently caress ups thread, someone posted a site (please do not look for it) that scraped the internet for VNC clients that had access to the public Internet and were using default credentials. The amount SCADA systems in it was... absolutely terrifying

The biggie was an Italian chemical plant, it's burned into my head because it loving terrified me (and it would have taken about 10 seconds to blow it up if you were that way inclined).

I started taking the security implications of code I delivered a bit more seriously after seeing that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

orange juche posted:

dug up a bunch of "edgy" videos the creator of Rick and Morty made back in 2009. People are screaming for his head now.

I haven't seen anybody screaming for his head besides some D&D posters

This isn't remotely out of character for that weird rear end in a top hat and he's not working for Disney so I don't see it turning out so badly for him

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

The biggie was an Italian chemical plant, it's burned into my head because it loving terrified me (and it would have taken about 10 seconds to blow it up if you were that way inclined).

I started taking the security implications of code I delivered a bit more seriously after seeing that.

Targeting of SIS has become the new "thing." The Iranians did it against a Saudi oil refinery back in December, but there was a bug in their program so it ultimately didn't succeed.

After that news broke, we got a lot of panicked emails from people asking if we supported the more common SIS protocols.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hexyflexy posted:

Thing is you can do your part right but if the end user sets up a dumbshit configuration it's still vulnerable.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Midjack posted:

Thing is you can do your part right but if the end user sets up a dumbshit configuration it's still vulnerable.

This is always the problem, especially with industrial plants. I'm maths, not IT, but I've got a load of friends who deal with the IT side of secure systems and the general problem is you'll specify a nice secure system, then the CEO will go: "I want to be able to access this internal system from my bed, on my phone, and get minute to minute reports".

At that point you're hosed no matter how clever your systems are, and your plant gets infiltrated by an Excel exploit.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
If you had enough physical assets you could also just roll up to a substation and physically knock it over. The security is a loving chain link fence

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Waroduce posted:

If you had enough physical assets you could also just roll up to a substation and physically knock it over. The security is a loving chain link fence

You could hit a couple in the whole of the US before you got hosed. You leave that kind of problem to armed cops. Though it would be loving amusing if the Russian plan to knock out the US power grid was thousands of killdozers.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Hexyflexy posted:

You could hit a couple in the whole of the US before you got hosed. You leave that kind of problem to armed cops. Though it would be loving amusing if the Russian plan to knock out the US power grid was thousands of killdozers.

I mean.... There are a lot of sub stations in semi-rural and rural US where cops are few and far between. You'd have a harder time with the cities without good synchronization, but even and hour or two between hits, or even a few right hits would be devastating.

Edit: I feel like I should edit this, but there's no way that there's any thought process that makes this questionable for someone who already has a desire.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Did they ever catch that sniper a few years back who shot up a bunch of substations in California?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

Did they ever catch that sniper a few years back who shot up a bunch of substations in California?

Nope.

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm pretty sure they never caught anyone in relation to this attack. Not sure if this is what you meant.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

By and large, a lot of US critical infrastructure is deeply vulnerable to physical or cyber threats. Not to go :nsa: here but if you’re some nut who’s only minimally observant, you could probably figure out something you could attack that will not bring down the whole grid, but at least make life uncomfortable for a few days.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtu7vV_HmY

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Oh it's been a minute since I remembered the word obstruction.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

1 why in the gently caress would any legal team worth their salt agree to this unless forced
2 what's to stop mueller from just asking anyway, trump is so goddamn cheese brained he'll blab out anything and everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

psydude posted:

poo poo's not new. There was an ESPN anchor who got fired a few years ago for fighting with a towing company in Arlington that is infamous for towing cars with kids, pets, and even drivers still in them.

Is that even remotely legal? Even if it's not criminal it seems like a huuuuuuuge liability.

• Locked thread