Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Retro42 posted:

Pump shotty feels like it’s in a place where if you get a jump on a 1v1 w/ it you win. But in a straight head to head it’s not what it used to be.

I'd still probably rather have a tac in that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

wa27 posted:

On PS4 you're typically only matched with PS4. If you party up with pc+PS4, you'll be put against only other cross platform parties. Every squad you meet should have at least one PS4 and one pc player.

Is this true?! I play mixed lobbies all the time, but didn't know each team was mixed.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Yeah mixed lobbies only go with other mixed lobbies. Due to Sony being literal AIDS, PS4 players only can play with PS4 and PC, but Xbox and switch can play together and PC

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
i cannot get these loving grenade/clinger elims

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

prom candy posted:

Play 50v50. Managed to get 2 of 3 earlier. Would've been 3 of 3 but I'm dumb and after I downed someone with a clinger I finished them with an AR so it didn't count. :sigh:

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005
Does blowing yourself up with a grenade still count? It did last season. Kinda cheating but it got the job done.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

prom candy posted:

Start picking up the regular white grenades. Shoot someone to trigger them building and then toss a few in with them

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

prom candy posted:

For clingers, get someone to box up in a 1x1, then throw 2-3 clingers on one wall. The first clinger explodes the wall and doesn't do player damage, but the wall breaking triggers the other two clinging clingers to explode a split second later. There's no player damage shielding because the wall is already destroyed = quick 200 damage.

Alternatively drop retail row and find some grenades right away, go crazy throwing them.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think I got the timing on this just right but definitely did a little something funky to start my clinger elims off
https://twitter.com/squidsalot/status/1021188867385249792?s=19

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Not really sure what happened to turn 50v50 into a total poo poo mode, but all but like, 1 in 20 of my games have not been immediate total blowouts. And people are still obsessed with dropping at Tilted for some loving reason.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Just ran into a for sure hacker for the first time. He was facing the wrong way after running up stairs past me. I hit him multiple times with a shotgun, which did 0 damage to him before he shot me while still facing the opposite direction. Confirmed on replay that I wasn’t just seeing things.

He also had one other kill in the replay, where he killed an unarmed guy. However, the guy managed to hit him twice with his pickax but did 0 damage as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Father Wendigo posted:

Crossposting from C-SPAM:

If there was ever a use case for a Nintendo Switch.......

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

:siren::siren::siren:

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1021439800333615104

Playground back on the 25th

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Why'd they post a video of the set in Moisty? That's odd.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1021394895146188801

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Far from impressive but I almost got a pacifist victory the other day. (Had to snipe a guy looting a chest in the gym towards the end RIP) Didn't expect a victory at all either, I just landed in Snobby Shores since it was way off path to get the ammo box challenge done, and just due to the circle placement i was always in it until I had to move towards the gym where I camped out mostly to see how far I could get until this happened.

[url]https://puu.sh/B1SMq/2f5ae5ca44.webm[/urlx]
Literally no idea why I threw those stinkbombs at the beginning, but I guess I didn't realize just how high up they were. I watched the replay from his perspective too and his fight with the third place guy was pretty crazy. Shame it all came tumbling down for him :v:

edit: breaking the embed cuz wow that does not format well lol

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

just out of boredom i started playing the pve mode and.. its actually kinda fun? no idea what im doing or anything but its definitely neat.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Far from impressive but I almost got a pacifist victory the other day. (Had to snipe a guy looting a chest in the gym towards the end RIP) Didn't expect a victory at all either, I just landed in Snobby Shores since it was way off path to get the ammo box challenge done, and just due to the circle placement i was always in it until I had to move towards the gym where I camped out mostly to see how far I could get until this happened.

[url]https://puu.sh/B1SMq/2f5ae5ca44.webm[/urlx]
Literally no idea why I threw those stinkbombs at the beginning, but I guess I didn't realize just how high up they were. I watched the replay from his perspective too and his fight with the third place guy was pretty crazy. Shame it all came tumbling down for him :v:

edit: breaking the embed cuz wow that does not format well lol

Patience patience patience. Sure I could get top 10 every time if only I could resist engaging people in unnecessary fights

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

queeb posted:

just out of boredom i started playing the pve mode and.. its actually kinda fun? no idea what im doing or anything but its definitely neat.

Save the world is pretty neat. The main downsides are the long grind and the children who seem to have migrated over from BR and want to trade nonstop. Someone also gave them microphones.

I'm a grumpy old man who wants to shoot zombies.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
it's the resource grind that primarily gets to me. if they just made it so you got like 10x mats from harvesting (ok maybe double to triple for normal classes then 10x for outlanders) it'd be much better.
So much of save the world has weird f2p gating systems that weren't fully hashed out before the next group of folks working on the game added another set without removing or interfacing with the barriers and systems the previous devs added to try and get players to keep playing for an hour or two every day but not too much.
All in a game that no one would probably actually play (or sink cash into) if it was f2p

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 24, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Coolness Averted posted:

it's the resource grind that primarily gets to me. if they just made it so you got like 10x mats from harvesting (ok maybe double to triple for normal classes then 10x for outlanders) it'd be much better.
So much of save the world has weird f2p gating systems that weren't fully hashed out before the next group of folks working on the game added another set without removing or interfacing with the barriers and systems the previous devs added to try and get players to keep playing for an hour or two every day but not too much.
All in a game that no one would probably actually play (or sink cash into) if it was f2p

I found resource gathering to be way less annoying since they increased stack sizes. Most mats stack to 200 and wood/stone/metal seem to be like (1 + your progression) * 1000 which is way better than it used to be. I can build a huge base and just get a little low on some stuff.

Also they buffed anti-material charge recently, so outlanders are good if you have to farm to build back up on resources because you were working on stormshield defense building or something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3sHWYNkKzY

The f2p currency stuff is dumb but it seems to be geared so that even if you don't play a ton you'll get legendary items from every event, and there's always events going.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Is there a known issue with splodes hitting people through walls recently? 2nd time today I died to clingers that were stuck to outside of my fort. And I died to a rocket that hit my wall and splashed right through it. I also died to a clinger I was about to throw going off instantly upon leaving my hand.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

th3t00t posted:

Is there a known issue with splodes hitting people through walls recently? 2nd time today I died to clingers that were stuck to outside of my fort. And I died to a rocket that hit my wall and splashed right through it. I also died to a clinger I was about to throw going off instantly upon leaving my hand.

That’s an intentional change that was in the patch notes one or two patches ago. Explosives have a set blast radius now regardless of a single wooden wall being in the way or whatever.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

monkeu posted:

That’s an intentional change that was in the patch notes one or two patches ago. Explosives have a set blast radius now regardless of a single wooden wall being in the way or whatever.

It’s been like that for couple patches, at least a month now.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

monkeu posted:

I remember the change in one of the updates explosive weapon radius got a buff where it will damage all structures in its radius, but not one for damage players within a radius.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

th3t00t posted:

Everyone is correct that they did increase splash radius for explosions, but if you're completely covered the splash damage will only be applied to walls around you, not to your player health. If you're in a box an a rocket hits right on the other side of the wall, the box will explode but you'll be fine.

Two things are probably getting you here. First, you probably have some tiny gap in your building that exposes your ankles or head to the player splash damage. If you completely seal your building, you won't take damage. For this reason, if you can see it you should shoot the wall behind someone, not the wall in front of them, backboard rebounding the splash damage down onto them.

Second, clinger detonation behavior. A clinger stuck to a wall will explode early when the surface is destroyed. Not only that, the clinger actually explodes slightly after the surface is destroyed, allowing the damage to hit the player who was previously shielded by the wall. If you see someone in a sealed 1x1 box, throw 2-3 clingers on the box. The first one will explode the wall, no player damage. The second and third will get triggered right after the wall is broken, exploding onto the player for 200 damage. C4 explode sequentially and can be used in the same way to damage a player in a box (stack 3 on a wall, detonate them).

Those are the explosion-design reasons that probably explain your case. There's also a chance that the game just bugged out on you.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Mongoose posted:

Everyone is correct that they did increase splash radius for explosions, but if you're completely covered the splash damage will only be applied to walls around you, not to your player health. If you're in a box an a rocket hits right on the other side of the wall, the box will explode but you'll be fine.

Two things are probably getting you here. First, you probably have some tiny gap in your building that exposes your ankles or head to the player splash damage. If you completely seal your building, you won't take damage. For this reason, if you can see it you should shoot the wall behind someone, not the wall in front of them, backboard rebounding the splash damage down onto them.

Second, clinger detonation behavior. A clinger stuck to a wall will explode early when the surface is destroyed. Not only that, the clinger actually explodes slightly after the surface is destroyed, allowing the damage to hit the player who was previously shielded by the wall. If you see someone in a sealed 1x1 box, throw 2-3 clingers on the box. The first one will explode the wall, no player damage. The second and third will get triggered right after the wall is broken, exploding onto the player for 200 damage.

Those are the explosion-design reasons that probably explain your case. There's also a chance that the game just bugged out on you.

v4.5 Explosions now damage all structures within range, whether or not they are visible from the explosion center.

I remember reading that change and I was used to it. I thought I might have missed them adding a radius for damaging players through walls.

Thanks for explaining clingers, my situations make a lot more sense now.

1st clinger sploded my wall and which instantly set off the 2nd clinger.

It also explains when I stuck a guy who was knocked in DUO's it went off instantly after my partner killed his team mate and the guy's knocked body vanished.

The rocket though, that hit me through a sealed 1x1 with a roof on top. Guess it just glitched.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ah right, double clingers do that indeed.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

I haven't done a private map to farm ever. There's a ton of problems still with the game, mostly rear end in a top hat players related, but they've improved a lot since 3.2. When's the last time you tried this game?

Rexxed posted:

I found resource gathering to be way less annoying since they increased stack sizes. Most mats stack to 200 and wood/stone/metal seem to be like (1 + your progression) * 1000 which is way better than it used to be. I can build a huge base and just get a little low on some stuff.

Also they buffed anti-material charge recently, so outlanders are good if you have to farm to build back up on resources because you were working on stormshield defense building or something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3sHWYNkKzY

The f2p currency stuff is dumb but it seems to be geared so that even if you don't play a ton you'll get legendary items from every event, and there's always events going.

Still amazing to me that videos like this are still being made. Even though it's virtually the same as the other 300.000 videos that were published since launch about this exact topic.

Especially since that video can be condensed to 10 seconds. Spot the building at 12:00 (by the satellite dishes on top, not that blue thing) and empty it out. If it's not there, leave and repeat. Done. Nuts and Bolts are (or at least should be) irrelevant once you reach end Canny though.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 24, 2018

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Patch Notes Up!

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v5-10

Highlights:
- Birthday Event
- Updated playgrounds (looks amazing) on the 25th
- P90 heavy laser repeater
- Supply Drops reworked (looks juicy)
- Slurp Juice buffed to 75, prioritized HP then moves to shield when fold
- Material starting / max health lowered, pickaxe damage to player structures up
- Building collision / phasing behavior adjusted (indicator, pushes enemies out on building?)
- Lots of quality of life sprint / movement settings

We've entered the Reign of Bullets era. Hang up your carpenter kits and load up on small ammo.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I'm so happy they gave Twine Peaks desert/thunder route 99 maps as well. The desert biome looks amazing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wish there was less jumping in firefights.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats the way all shooters are now, because noobs are stupid. Just stay calm though, the jumping is slow enough in this game you can fairly easily track them and gun them down.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
does STW run at 30fps or something on consoles? something feels off about it compared to BR

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

goferchan posted:

does STW run at 30fps or something on consoles? something feels off about it compared to BR

From what I've read, there's an option somewhere to uncap the FPS. StW is way heavier than BR though, so chances are it won't be much different.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

quote:

Changing the gyro motion of the Nintendo Switch to rotate around the roll instead of the yaw.
This is intended to allow for the users to be able to hold the device in any situation and always have the motion react according to the screen direction instead of being in the Switch's world space.

Wait, is this good? I'm not sure what they're saying here?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
That new smg is gonna wreck everything.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have no earthly clue either but gyro does feel a bit better now I think

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

codo27 posted:

Thats the way all shooters are now, because noobs are stupid. Just stay calm though, the jumping is slow enough in this game you can fairly easily track them and gun them down.

I mean the last shooter I played the poo poo out of was Splatoon, so I'm used to people being all over the place, but usually there's some sort of serious shooting penalty during jumps. It's weird that they haven't balanced out the bouncing shotgun fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Might be wrong but my guess is “you can be laying in bed playing and gyro controls shouldn’t make you need to sit up to use them.”