Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright, which of you fuckos backed Sigmata? I want to hear thoughts from people who've read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You'd forget about it anyways.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So I ran the second session of 4e for my IRL group today, 2 of whom have never played D&D before and only 1 of whom has played 4e before.

"Why does everyone hate this edition" came out of the newbie's mouth. I felt proud.
They're also discovering team tactics and it's real cool and good.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Moriatti posted:

So I ran the second session of 4e for my IRL group today, 2 of whom have never played D&D before and only 1 of whom has played 4e before.

"Why does everyone hate this edition" came out of the newbie's mouth. I felt proud.
They're also discovering team tactics and it's real cool and good.

:) Feel good story of the day.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ettin posted:

Alright, which of you fuckos backed Sigmata? I want to hear thoughts from people who've read it.

Unironically curious to hear this myself. Making fun of the previews is kind of like shooting fish in a barrel but is it actually entertainingly bad, boringly bad, or does it somehow miraculously turn out to be Not Bad.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ettin posted:

Some people admitted to naïvely backing it the kickstarter thread. You might need to march them over here and lock them in the pillory for our entertainment.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I backed it without really digging into it on a KS binge and then forgot I had, but I have no interest in reading it so you’ll have to find another sucker.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Ettin posted:

Liquid Communism posted some charsheets over here in the KS thread. SPOILER WARNING: not good

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ettin posted:

Oh gently caress! Not only did I back this loving game but apparently I accidentally backed at the physical book tier only!

Fuuuuck

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

Oh gently caress! Not only did I back this loving game but apparently I accidentally backed at the physical book tier only!

Fuuuuck

lol owned by your own self

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

Some people admitted to naïvely backing it the kickstarter thread. You might need to march them over here and lock them in the pillory for our entertainment.

Oh I backed it, I'm just waiting until I sit down and read through the thing to post about it :getin:

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I hate that this tired bullshit about 4e persists. The first loving page of the TAZ graphic novel takes a swing at 4e for no reason other than the person writing the introduction getting to feel smug.

In fairness, as I recall it was just Pat Rothfuss (a guy I know nothing about except I think he wrote some books that my dumbest coworker enjoys) saying he hadn't played it?

Mostly I just felt sorry for him that he only played the bad D&Ds.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Every character should still has something to do all encounter long. Middle characters have it natively. Early characters' limited abilities (think Encounter powers) are the ones that nurture progress, while their unlimited abilities (like At-Wills) are more about creating preconditions for success of the big guns; forced movement and Leader-style buffs would be good. Late characters would have lots of evasive and opportunistic abilities at first, and then slowly escalate into effects that pretty much end the encounter (with a little help from their friends).
WIzards in Tactics Ogre for the PSP have a mechanic where they start every battle with 0 MP and gain some each turn, so they can keep casting weak low-cost spells or wait for a very strong one. They can also use their turn to gather more power and gain some extra MP. Always thought something like that might be neat in a pen & paper game.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Halloween Jack posted:

With the OSR going on, I'm pretty sure AD&D1e has more support than 5e.

Holmes D&D has more support than 5e, which is really saying something

Nuns with Guns posted:

3e really did exist in an interesting position. You could really tell that the game devs were reading the charop posts on the official forums and taking notes as they went along. It resulted in a lot of experimentation that did improve at least most of the base classes somewhat, either through slipping in some feats or alternate class abilities. Plus, the different experiments in power level with the more impactful melee base classes and more focused casting classes that came out later on. They had the resources and production schedule to stick a lot of band-aids on a broken system that 5e can't through first-party means.

From what I've read, if you restrict the classes that can be chosen to a certain range of them based upon a Tier system that people have spent years figuring out, 3e actually apparently becomes somewhat balanced and playable, still a bit of a mess though

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
BX has to lead the pack, right? It seems like everything OSR is BX.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Yup, followed by OD&D derivatives, with 2E at the bottom

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

drrockso20 posted:

From what I've read, if you restrict the classes that can be chosen to a certain range of them based upon a Tier system that people have spent years figuring out, 3e actually apparently becomes somewhat balanced and playable, still a bit of a mess though

Like, the skill and magic item system will always be a mess.

But in 3.PF if you restrict yourself to tiers 3 and 4 - especially since Pathfinder has like 90% of its material be legally free online in searchable SRD form - you can have a wacky gonzo experience.

I kinda liken it to a MOBA game where every character is wacky and different, except instead of different characters its different weird classes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Babylon Astronaut posted:

A large proportion of the OSR scene uses the B/X rules specifically as its basis, yes.

After B/X derivatives, you have the OD&D derivatives, and then AD&D 1e, which is still mostly centered on OSRIC and Castles & Crusades.

Finally, AFAIK the only OSR product for AD&D 2e that I'm aware of is goon-made For Gold & Glory, and that's just a straight clone.

drrockso20 posted:

This is mostly true, yes. It all depends on how many lines of rules and restrictions you're willing to write down.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't believe I missed an edition wars derail and a star wars derail.

Advanced Star Wars was great, but second edition really hosed it up.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is mostly true, yes. It all depends on how many lines of rules and restrictions you're willing to write down.

Yeah, if you just say "play only classes recognized as Tier 3" you'll solve some of 3.5's problems. The martials get to do more than just "I attack", but pretty much all of their abilities are still focused entirely on combat. The casters no longer get to just ignore every problem ever, but they still get to do that to a not insignificant number of them.

Oh, and everything balance related still goes out the window if every person in the group isn't at least roughly similar in terms of system mastery, though not nearly as badly as if the wizard and fighter were in play.

senrath fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 24, 2018

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

drrockso20 posted:

Holmes D&D has more support than 5e, which is really saying something

Yep, the tiers of power in 3e are rankings in how easily a single character class can derail a game/overshadow every other character by existing on one end (wizard, druid, cleric) to classes that struggle to perform their basic function on the other (truenamer). You do cut out a lot of the most extreme bullshit on the player-side by flat banning the most OP and nonfunctional ends of the spectrum. The middle tier classes also tend to be the ones that came out later on and have more unique mechanics and flavor to them, making them more compelling to play long-term. It's a coping mechanism though, and yeah it doesn't solve the inherent issues in the system.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/skinnyghost/status/1021741069858299904

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i have so many conflicting feelings about this

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

oh god no

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

oh god yes

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Oh, to have been a fly on the wall at the meeting that generated that little tidbit :allears:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
X-crawls coming back, finally.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's time to bring back competitive Tomb of Horrors, but streamed on Disney this time.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

lol owned by your own self
:smith:

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

In fairness, as I recall it was just Pat Rothfuss (a guy I know nothing about except I think he wrote some books that my dumbest coworker enjoys) saying he hadn't played it?

Mostly I just felt sorry for him that he only played the bad D&Ds.

Yes, it was Rothfuss. Still a needless edition war insert in the TAZ book.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's time to bring back competitive Tomb of Horrors, but streamed on Disney this time.

Those of us with long memories will know that D&D has dabbled in competitive tournaments before, but a tidbit I'd like to offer is that Goodman Games also ran tournaments on the same "clear the dungeons as skillfully as possible" principles during the 3rd Edition era:

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I mean, streaming is the way the brand seems to be succeeding. It's a lot of work to actually put together a game and run it, so I can see why this works.

...I just wish 5e was a better game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't think they can actually turn D&D into something esportable. As in, something with clear win conditions to achieve victory and get cash prizes.

They can certainly make a D&D shooter or MMO or whatever, but what design team is going to make an entirely new genre of esports? Not the D&D team.

drrockso20 posted:

Yup, followed by OD&D derivatives, with 2E at the bottom
Eh, is anything that's compatible with 1e not compatible with 2e? Didn't 2e just introduce THAC0 and quest XP, and beyond that, just eliminating fiddly combat rules few people used anyway?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 24, 2018

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think they can actually turn D&D into something esportable. As in, something with clear win conditions to achieve victory and get cash prizes.
They can certainly make a D&D shooter or MMO or whatever, but what design team is going to make an entirely new genre of esports? Not the D&D team.
Ironically, 4e would've been the best option for this, since it's codified extended rest system and tactical combat means that you could have scoring objectives to have parallel teams overcome, and, could probably have ways for the two parties to interact with each other outside of direct combat.

Halloween Jack posted:

Eh, is anything that's compatible with 1e not compatible with 2e? Didn't 2e just introduce THAC0 and quest XP, and beyond that, just eliminating fiddly combat rules few people used anyway?

I thought THAC0 was in AD&D? Anyhow, yeah, you can use all AD&D stuff with 2e, and even some B/X stuff.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

They already did it before, though. The earliest format of organized play events for AD&D was to have teams of players all going into the same dungeon, getting awarded points for recovering treasure and beating traps and delving far into the dungeon, and having points docked for PC deaths, with the team with the most points winning.

Arguably the whole point of writing AD&D in the first place was to have a single common rules reference in order to enable this kind of gameplay.

Moriatti posted:

Ironically, 4e would've been the best option for this, since it's codified extended rest system and tactical combat means that you could have scoring objectives to have parallel teams overcome, and, could probably have ways for the two parties to interact with each other outside of direct combat.

Right. The biggest weakness of trying to pull this off in the 5e era is that the rules are so loose and not-there that it actively undermines the point.

Moriatti posted:

I thought THAC0 was in AD&D? Anyhow, yeah, you can use all AD&D stuff with 2e, and even some B/X stuff.

AD&D 1e did not use THAC0 right off the bat. It made an appearance in the DMG, and was gradually "phased in" over the later modules and supplements, but AD&D 2e was the first time you were expected to use THAC0 per the PHB.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 24, 2018

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Halloween Jack posted:

Competitive eSports for 5e would be hilarious. Hmmm, why do all the top teams consist of 4 wizards and no other classes???

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Jimbozig posted:

Competitive eSports for 5e would be hilarious. Hmmm, why do all the top teams consist of 4 wizards and no other classes???

Nah, with 5E it's 4 Lore Bards.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
don't worry, they'll enforce team composition rules - can't be making their product look bad in the tournament

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

Another thing that sounds really funny in retrospect is expecting that the design team (such that one exists) is going to be anywhere near as receptive to feedback as any of these actual esports are. One of 5e's core principles is "no errata" as a reaction to 4e, which is ... really not what you want to hear in the same context as, say, Dota's constant patching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

don't worry, they'll enforce team composition rules - can't be making their product look bad in the tournament

Even better! I want to be the best Fighter on the pro circuit. What do I have to do? Say "I attack," when it's my turn in combat, and then go take an extended bathroom break when the noncombat stuff happens.