Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Plan Z posted:

So I got Yakuza 0 a few days ago and I am digging it hard. It's kind of what I want from these types of games without all of the crap that's been getting loaded into them. The humor works and I actually dig the main story. It's actually got me really interested in trying the rest of the series.

I'm actually a fan of the Ubisoft style vacuum up icons open-world games, especially since I don't feel compelled to do anything that I find boring in order to get 100%, but it's really cool how the Yakuza games developed a totally different "open world" paradigm. I think this is part of why the tonal shifts work so well - the player can easily decide if they want to pursue some hilariously mundane sidestory or if they want more sick crime blood opera, and the game's happy to give them either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I... never thought I would be saying this, especially when I was playing 4, but...

... I honestly wish that the universe aligned and Tanimura came back in 5 because I am not feeling Shinada at all.

edit: hahaha this dude walking around in this mask, top hat, shades, and Dick Tracey trenchcoat like I'm not supposed to believe he's loving Daigo, come on man, you haven't even changed your hair!

MechaX fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 21, 2018

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

MechaX posted:

I... never thought I would be saying this, especially when I was playing 4, but...

... I honestly wish that the universe aligned and Tanimura came back in 5 because I am not feeling Shinada at all.

He's boring as poo poo. His chapter was easily the weakest and I got through it by overusing the unbreakable weapons he gets.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Digital Osmosis posted:

I'm actually a fan of the Ubisoft style vacuum up icons open-world games, especially since I don't feel compelled to do anything that I find boring in order to get 100%, but it's really cool how the Yakuza games developed a totally different "open world" paradigm. I think this is part of why the tonal shifts work so well - the player can easily decide if they want to pursue some hilariously mundane sidestory or if they want more sick crime blood opera, and the game's happy to give them either.

Yeah, I can dig them once in a while, too. I just dig that I can walk a block and see some kind of significant event. I can definitely see a large Shenmue influence in this.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Welp, managed to accidentally pull an all nighter trying to finish 5 because I thought it was going to end like 4 hours before it did and goddamn that game can drag.

Shinada's story is kind of sad, I get you SEGA, but I still do not think he needed to be a playable character, like at all.

But I like how 6 immediately addresses a few concerns I had upon 5's ending. My main concern was Haruka publicly announcing that she was raised by Kiryu and I was like "this... was not a wise decision Haruka," and then 6 immediately goes into the blow back in her doing this.

6 seems pretty fun so far though. I'm not sure about this "hold X to run" decision in the year of our lord 2018, though

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

It works out fairly well, only one or two edge cases where you need to take a step or two before running

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Xarbala posted:

Yeah it's basically just a ball of fried batter with mayo, worcestershire sauce, and tuna flakes on top with like a single chunk of octopus inside and it owns.

No wonder it's so popular, you can't really go wrong with just plain frying a ball of batter.

it's not worcestershire, it's generally specifically takoyaki sauce (worcestershire is an ingredient though in homemade stuff). it's much sweeter and thicker. extremely similar to okonomiyaki sauce. generally have red ginger in em. I'm a fan.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Caitlin posted:

it's not worcestershire, it's generally specifically takoyaki sauce (worcestershire is an ingredient though in homemade stuff). it's much sweeter and thicker. extremely similar to okonomiyaki sauce. generally have red ginger in em. I'm a fan.

I mean, you could also do Worcestershire instead of traditional takoyaki sauce. Seems like it could also work.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey so in a little while I'm going to convert this back into a Yakuza megathread. People around here seem to love funny thread subtitles so if any of you guys have one I'd love to hear 'em.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Why would you do this to me?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Policenaut posted:

Hey so in a little while I'm going to convert this back into a Yakuza megathread. People around here seem to love funny thread subtitles so if any of you guys have one I'd love to hear 'em.

How 'bout "Yakuza Series Megathread"?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Make sure it says “Yakuza series” in there. poo poo like the GoW thread where it was just “boy”in Norse, or the ME:A thread being renamed “gaming food megathread” is dumb and obnoxious and makes finding the thread difficult.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Yakuza Series Megathread: That's rad!!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Policenaut posted:

YAKUZA (Fifth Yakuza Thread, Something Awful Family)

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Hack the forums so the title can just be a GIF of Mr. Libido dancing

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Neo Rasa posted:

Yes, this.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Caitlin posted:

Oh, my b

It is indeed delicious though.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Yakuza Megathread ::dramatically rips off shirt::

Yakuza Megathread: Basically Just Mahjong Chat

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Xarbala posted:

Oh, my b

It is indeed delicious though.

yeah this is not an angry correction I just have had chronic weebiness for a long time

widespread posted:

I mean, you could also do Worcestershire instead of traditional takoyaki sauce. Seems like it could also work.

I mean sure, it would probably taste ok, but it wouldn't have the sweet-savory thing goin on is all. do what makes you happy buddy

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neo Rasa posted:

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

I like this one. :hmmyes:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and :bandwagon: this

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
The Yakuza Megathread: Nani?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

AnElegantPeacock posted:

なるほど。。。

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

When 0 Kiwami happens in ten years they have to have Punch-Out!! in the arcades and have Majima or whoever point this out.

PremiumBlend
Jun 12, 2002

We did it little buddy...

Neo Rasa posted:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Before getting to Chapter 3 in 6, I wanted an Akiyama solo game.

After getting to Chapter 3 in 6, I want an Akiyama solo game even more.

I get that the only person who could have stopped Kiryu stealing that baby was probably Saejima, but goddamn they did my boy so dirty

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Nani is pretty much on point

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MechaX posted:

Before getting to Chapter 3 in 6, I wanted an Akiyama solo game.

After getting to Chapter 3 in 6, I want an Akiyama solo game even more.

I get that the only person who could have stopped Kiryu stealing that baby was probably Saejima, but goddamn they did my boy so dirty

Yeah, I don’t get why they’re doing a whole new protagonist for the next game when they have Akiyama already.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Akiyama is real, md strong, and is my friend, and is going to make me do stupid challenges for a loan.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, I don’t get why they’re doing a whole new protagonist for the next game when they have Akiyama already.

For real

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Because he has nothing to do with the organization the series is named after.

He needs a side series like Metal Gear Rising.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MrJacobs posted:

Have him start a new local baseball team

The Sky Finance Dragons

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Have him start a new local baseball team

The Sky Finance Dragons

Is this inadvertently a reference to Japanese pro baseball player Shun Takayama or to Japanese pro baseball player Shogo Akiyama? :D

From Yakuza 4 and 5 we know that Akiyama knows his way around financial services, real estate, running hostess clubs, and the ruthlessness of the pop idol industry, so his ideal spin off game would be built around much more in depth versions of all of the mini-games and activities involving those things.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Neo Rasa posted:

Well this seems to be the far and away favorite, and I like it too. I have a little thing written up ready to go, it's more compact with more trailers for each game and less explanations because the trailers do a good job of explaining what each one's about. I'll probably give it the Stone Cold tag too because hell yeah Austin.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MrJacobs posted:

He needs a side series like Metal Gear Rising.

I mean, he’s been caught up in three games worth of Yakuza shenanigans, what’s to stop him from getting involved in more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

I mean, he’s been caught up in three games worth of Yakuza shenanigans, what’s to stop him from getting involved in more?

He is actually quite content to live in the sewers and chill when not called upon by Kiryu.