Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Axios is reporting that Asmodee is in exclusive negotiation to change hands from its current private equity firm to another private equity firm. Warning that this article is terrible.

You weren’t kidding about that article being terrible. The writer implies that Asmodee only makes Catan, and some other game about feeding Pandas. And is then surprised that Asmodee’s revenues have been increasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

golden bubble posted:

Kitchen Rush is a co-operative worker placement game. But it probably doesn't fit with your desires because it focuses more upon real-time gameplay rather than turn-based gameplay. This means each worker in Kitchen Rush is a small hourglass, and they are able to take another action the moment the hourglass is empty.
Sounds interesting, and I don't mind real-time games. is KR a good game by itself?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Pierzak posted:

Sounds interesting, and I don't mind real-time games. is KR a good game by itself?
Ultra-biased but I really like it. I'm a huge fan of real time coops and KR sticks to the theme very well: it's frantic, you don't have enough time, you are shouting for ingredients and making interesting decisions in terms of resources and helping your buddies. The issues with it is that it has a bit of a difficulty wall at the start until your friends start to understand the game, and at the start the game can feel a little bit solitaire until you understand how to maximise action economy and make plans during the non-realtime bits of the game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Finally got around to making a youtube for board games like I've been threatening to do for a while now. First video is on Mint Delivery. It's short and sweet :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf2UwMuGIjU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/Cephalofair/status/1021564437520633856

al-azad
May 28, 2009

drat, I thought I deleted that email after losing to the Slime Garden mission for the umpteenth time.

Bottom Liner posted:

Finally got around to making a youtube for board games like I've been threatening to do for a while now. First video is on Mint Delivery. It's short and sweet :v:

I'll subscribe to what you're selling. BTW you should link it to BGG.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 24, 2018

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

but seriously, fart that puzzle.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

GrandpaPants posted:

New Angeles was worse than a lot of the semi-co op/traitor element games out there, although it was a bit long ago that I don't remember the specific reasons why. I think I recall that the reasons to negotiate/work together just seemed incredibly weak and that it was pretty fiddly to play. I do distinctly recall being rather disengaged with it and just wishing I were playing Archipelago instead, so get Archipelago instead.

It's not as bad as Shadow Over Camelot though, so that's something?

I only played one game of New Angeles, but I enjoyed it and would happily play again. FWIW, the specific criticisms about the game I remember are that it's too long and the asset cards (prizes for winning votes) are too swingy in relative power level. I can't really make an argument about either, but I thought the core of the game was solid and aside from the round upkeep (which wasn't explained clearly by the game's owner) it was fairly straightforward.

The trick about negotiating is that most players aren't actually your opponent, but you (likely) share a loss condition with them, so you can make deals from a place of presumed mutual beneficiality.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

al-azad posted:

drat, I thought I deleted that email after losing to the Slime Garden mission for the umpteenth time.

My group's only tried that once and then decided we weren't going to try it again for a long time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

You have a nice beard. Your epic boardgame shelf needs several more layers if you are going to be doing youtube videos though. It should fill the frame with boxes.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Has this gotten to you via KS? I still haven't seen my copy, though the most recent update said it was shipping.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Has this gotten to you via KS? I still haven't seen my copy, though the most recent update said it was shipping.

My gaming partner got his last week.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, I got my copy last week as well. Wednesday, I believe.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Weird, looks like I gave them my correct address. Was it delivered by USPS?

edit: Looks like it will come later, because I ordered a copy of Mint Works with Mint Delivery.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 24, 2018

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Rutibex posted:

You have a nice beard. Your epic boardgame shelf needs several more layers if you are going to be doing youtube videos though. It should fill the frame with boxes.

Also you havent said "it's just fun" enough times.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Quixotic1 posted:

Also you havent said "it's just fun" enough times.

I said it 5 times, but my external mic wasn't working and didn't pick up audio correctly :ninja:

(audio should be better going forward)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Well, congrats on bringing something from idea to actual thing. Easier said than done.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I said it 5 times, but my external mic wasn't working and didn't pick up audio correctly :ninja:

Great vid, looks similar to Great Heartland Hauling Co. but the conversion mechanic seems crunchier.

One thing though - I can't not read your url as Let The Meat Games.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Bottom Liner posted:

That was the one thing I was going to mention. Other than that, nice first video!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

SUSD should do more negative reviews. Doing mostly positive reviews (and when you do them, tip-toeing around the criticism) is, ultimately, just as unhealthy as gatekeeping.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
NPI's latest review (Heroes of Land, Air and Sea) isn't exactly positive. It prompted this exchange.

https://twitter.com/ShutUpShow/status/1021703557584769026

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Tekopo posted:

SUSD should do more negative reviews. Doing mostly positive reviews (and when you do them, tip-toeing around the criticism) is, ultimately, just as unhealthy as gatekeeping.

As sad as it is, it think that's what his audience wants (Not to mention the industry). The amount of "Haha you just made me spent another 200$. Mah wallet lol. Quinns you magnificent bastard." comments scares me.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

While kickstarter can lead to some egregious stuff, I think SUSD obvious bias against it is a bit unbecoming in most circumstances. On podcasts before they've outright said "If a game is good it won't need to be kickstarted and will go through a proper publisher" and that attitude comes across in more or less everything they make. This is then made worse when they're all "We designed this game expansion. Back it on kickstarter!" Basically you should be suspicious of kickstarter except when we do it!

The absolute kicker was the hatchet job they did against the recent Batman kickstarter. They spent the entire time saying you probably shouldn't back it because Monolith are a garbage publisher who didn't support Conan in the ways they promised. Only problem was Monolith had supported it, and had released a bunch of extra stuff - SUSD just hadn't been paying attention when they did, and couldn't bring themselves to put in the tiniest bit of effort in research. Then when they were proved to have been wrong they just carried on regardless, acting like it was a situation where they'd have to just agree to disagree.

Not all kickstarters are good, but not all are bad either. It's this kind of actual nuance that I find refreshing in objectively better podcasts like So very wrong about Games who actually go out of their way to correct even minor mistakes they make. Also Quinns really seems to have bought into this whole "voice of the industry" thing in a way that really bothers me.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It's just as if... SUSD aren't good critics???

Which I'm actually okay with, because they're decent entertainers (except for Matt's regrettable green screen bits) and surely a better voice for the industry than the loving Vasel, but their inability to ever admit their wrongs (either for a real fuckup or inherent biases) is infuriating.

If you want to hatewatch a bit, make yourself a marathon of SUSD reviews of FFG collectable lines (LCGs, X-Wing, etc.) which vary hilariously between "yeah, this game is fun and interesting and I'd like to recommend it, but it is my solemn duty to steer you away from this exploitative money sink" to "yeah, it could get pricy, but just think how cool it is to have a living, expanding game" based on nothing but their gut feeling of how much they liked it.

Also, still salty about their botched Diskwars review after all these years.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

Also, still salty about their botched Diskwars review after all these years.

God yes. I've never played Diskwars so had no real dog in the fight, but even at the time I thought "Yeah it's wrong but I've re-read the rules and can't imagine it makes it any better" was some total bullshit.

Vasel gave Trickerion a poor review after playing it wrong, and even he re-played it with the proper rules (or claimed to) and made a new addendum video with a revised conclusion. When Vasel is making you look irresponsibly lazy then you done hosed up.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think most of the problem is the fact that it's impossible to review games semi-professionally (lol) and not have to be overwhelmingly positive. You either accept the free review copies and low-ball (or just not do) bad reviews, or you don't get review copies and then you can't really review on the pulse of current trends because lol who the gently caress has that kind of money.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CaptainApathyUK posted:

While kickstarter can lead to some egregious stuff, I think SUSD obvious bias against it is a bit unbecoming in most circumstances. On podcasts before they've outright said "If a game is good it won't need to be kickstarted and will go through a proper publisher" and that attitude comes across in more or less everything they make. This is then made worse when they're all "We designed this game expansion. Back it on kickstarter!" Basically you should be suspicious of kickstarter except when we do it!

The absolute kicker was the hatchet job they did against the recent Batman kickstarter. They spent the entire time saying you probably shouldn't back it because Monolith are a garbage publisher who didn't support Conan in the ways they promised. Only problem was Monolith had supported it, and had released a bunch of extra stuff - SUSD just hadn't been paying attention when they did, and couldn't bring themselves to put in the tiniest bit of effort in research. Then when they were proved to have been wrong they just carried on regardless, acting like it was a situation where they'd have to just agree to disagree.

That came up when Matt was telling them Gloomhaven is good and Quinins was skeptical and looking for reasons not to like it. I do think there are reasons to be suspicious of the business model of some publishers with regard to kickstarter, where they're clearly capitalizing on FOMO to boost sales (and I do think it's fair to criticize Monolith for that), but holding it against a game that's already out and available through other means without any of the exclusive now or never junk seemed a bit reactionary.

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Also Quinns really seems to have bought into this whole "voice of the industry" thing in a way that really bothers me.

I've heard Matt use the "I'd hate to think of this being someone's first game and turning them off the hobby forever" line to suggest games he can't recommend are garbage too, which seems a bit unfair and overly dramatic. Yeah, the barrier entry for board games is a bit higher than some other forms of entertainment, so some degree of discernment in your spending is a good idea, but nobody worries about somebody wandering into a movie theater, watching something mediocre, and never wanting to see another movie again. I think underlying some of the "ambassador for the hobby" stuff is a panic that the cool kids won't like our nerd hobby (though I appreciate that not wearing a fedora may actually help in that regard).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sinteres posted:

That came up when Matt was telling them Gloomhaven is good and Quinins was skeptical and looking for reasons not to like it. I do think there are reasons to be suspicious of the business model of some publishers with regard to kickstarter, where they're clearly capitalizing on FOMO to boost sales (and I do think it's fair to criticize Monolith for that), but holding it against a game that's already out and available through other means without any of the exclusive now or never junk seemed a bit reactionary.

I've heard Matt use the "I'd hate to think of this being someone's first game and turning them off the hobby forever" line to suggest games he can't recommend are garbage too, which seems a bit unfair and overly dramatic. Yeah, the barrier entry for board games is a bit higher than some other forms of entertainment, so some degree of discernment in your spending is a good idea, but nobody worries about somebody wandering into a movie theater, watching something mediocre, and never wanting to see another movie again. I think underlying some of the "ambassador for the hobby" stuff is a panic that the cool kids won't like our nerd hobby (though I appreciate that not wearing a fedora may actually help in that regard).
I think it's a little bit different for board games due to how relatively invisible the market is to someone that is not immersed into the market. Movies have extensive advertising, they are part of the mainstream cultural zeitgeist and they have a much lower barrier to entry. The common view of board games is, instead, defined by stuff like monopoly and the only thing that gets ads is kid's board games, so the first designer board game that someone plays actually has an important role in terms of what the expectation of a person is in terms of other designer board games.

One personal, anecdotal example is what happened when I first attempted to organise board game nights around my office. I had more than a few colleagues ask me if it was going to "chess, monopoly and stuff like that", and this was in an environment of IT professional. Even those that knew that there was a wider industry of board games didn't really know any of them, but the nights were a success because I created a carefully curated library of games (I was the only one bringing board games to the nights) that I knew were both reflective of the advancements in the hobby and was stuff that they could easily get into. I think the most difficult game I tried to bring (after many, many events) was Kitchen Rush and even that was a bit of a struggle.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m curious to hear more about that. How many people showed up, what games worked, what games didn’t.

You still running it?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

I’m curious to hear more about that. How many people showed up, what games worked, what games didn’t.

You still running it?
Yeah I still run it, we usually do it once every two months or so when I can be bothered to arrange it. The games that worked for me were stuff that was quite evocative and easy to understand, so at the start I brought stuff like Cash and Guns (2e but still, it kind of works), Dixit, Mysterium, Welcome to the Dungeon, Resistance Avalon, Pictomania, Toc Toc Woodman, Spaceteam and Codenames.

Once I got them through the door, I tried more difficult stuff and so far Kitchen Rush and Captain Sonar have worked pretty well.

Stuff that didn't work has been Panic at Wall Street (how much should this property be? I don't understand the flow? etc etc), Factory Fun (for some, too hectic), Eminent Domain (too much to read/explain).

The usual number of people that show up is anywhere from 8 to 12, so I usually have 3 tables going, playing different things at once. I don't tend to play much at the nights, because I have to teach multiple tables, but it's been better lately since people can take stuff that they know and teach it themselves (with me helping with some of the smaller rules).

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Tekopo posted:

I think most of the problem is the fact that it's impossible to review games semi-professionally (lol) and not have to be overwhelmingly positive. You either accept the free review copies and low-ball (or just not do) bad reviews, or you don't get review copies and then you can't really review on the pulse of current trends because lol who the gently caress has that kind of money.

This is generally true, however SUSD were bad critics far before they've reached any semblance of semi-professionalism.

I think they're not as much bad, as have very uneven skillset with gaping holes. Most of the good stuff about them is a direct result of them getting proper game journo chops* in their video game-focused careers. This is why they can slap together a well-written, entertaining review whose entire structure isn't just rehashing given game's rules. Or the ability to write a bonafide essay on a game-related topic every once in a while.

The trouble is, the transition between video and tabletop game market wasn't as smooth as they thought. Their early videos (the ones with the season structure) show blatant favoritism towards some games that were their gateway to the hobby (say, their constant, awkward glossing over the bloat and fiddliness of Descent. Or this dumb fondness for Memoir '44: Overlord) that every later review arbitrarily compared to. There were some good points on gaming being made even back then (Vlaada good, respecting elegance of games, etc.) that to me felt like poo poo they've researched as consensus over the Internet, but they've mostly listened to the right voices, so can't shittalk this too much. IMO it really took a bit of time for them to form their distinct tastes and know-how.

Then sometime Matt came along, which was extremely bizarre because the dude knew nothing about board games and got picked up for being good at making video game videos, so they dumped light party games on him as sort of a simple learning task. Then Paul (the most competent of the bunch, in terms of pure analysis**) hosed off to Canada and so Matt suddenly became Quinns right hand man? I don't mind the dude, because he both caught up and is fine as an entertainer/online personality, but it's hard for me to accept him as any sort of expert.

I wish they were more aware of their biases and humble about them & their mistakes. Like, it's okay to be subjective and open about it - Quinn's infamous semi-obsession for what he considers emergent humor isn't even a quarter of bias Rahdo or Calandale have, but with those guys it's always 100% clear what their preferences and self-imposed restrictions are and they're able to at least speculate in good faith about them played the "proper" way. SUSD's stubborn notion of being infallible golden gods of gaming opinions is IMO their single greatest flaw, both hurting the reviews themselves and their ability to grow.

I think their site still has one aspect harkening to those early 'learn as you go' days - it's the occasional tabletop RPG review/content. I can't shake the very same feeling I had with their earliest boardgame videos that it simultaneously them reaching out to possible newcomers and them being gatewayed right in front of our eyes.

* Jesus, how sad is it this is a market that has to look up to video game journalism ffs.
** Not counting the wargame guy, obiously.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Tekopo posted:

The usual number of people that show up is anywhere from 8 to 12, so I usually have 3 tables going, playing different things at once. I don't tend to play much at the nights, because I have to teach multiple tables, but it's been better lately since people can take stuff that they know and teach it themselves (with me helping with some of the smaller rules).

Man, but why do that when you could just play a single big game of CAH? It could be. So. Much. FUN.

Edit: FUN

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Honestly my biggest problem with CAH isn't even its poo poo humour, because really it just exposes the actual poo poo humour people around the table have. My biggest issue with it is how it just infects and eats board game nights. You could have an entire night planned with carefully curated list, with a wide spectrum of games for the 10-20 people that are coming, but that loving white or black box (I can't remember) comes out, and the entire night is about that now. And of course they don't end when they supposed to, there's always one or two people that want to keep going.

Far too many parties I've been to where I've been encouraged to bring a few games, and I get there just to see that a game of CAH is being played. So I put my bag of games aside, resigned to the fact that not a single one of them will be opened for the entire night.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
SUSD had a negative review of the Fallout game recently, but even then they hedged the criticism in a way that felt like it was meant to spare the feelings of people who like it already.

They were The Only Good Option when I was getting into the hobby and convinced me to get Kemet and all things Vlaada so they're Good in my eyes. I really don't like Matt though for some reason. I tried his video games podcast a long time ago and he comes off as a bit of a shithead gamer but in reverse? Like his opinion is correct and everyone else is an idiot but he'll just take a stance opposite whatever your generic Reddit comment would be. Like when framerates are being talked about her acts like it's absolutely idiotic to care and that no one can even tell if something is above 30 fps.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I really have no idea where people are getting this "SUSD never admit they're wrong" thing comes from. All reviews are biased. If you don't like someone's opinions, find a different reviewer with tastes similar to yours.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Glagha posted:

I really have no idea where people are getting this "SUSD never admit they're wrong" thing comes from. All reviews are biased. If you don't like someone's opinions, find a different reviewer with tastes similar to yours.

No no no. We're not talking about their opinions. We're talking about times they've been factually and objectively wrong about something and then just ride it out whenever people make them aware.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Glagha posted:

From them literally making Jedit-tier rules blunders and refusing to acknowledge them when called out. Or, in at least two cases, refusing to change opinions after a game they reviewed earlier turns out to be literally mechanically broken, hiding behind thin veneer of "it's just fun, you just have not to tryhard!!!"

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I like what a video game reviewer that I follow does. He gets free games, but he then buys them and gives away the free game code. That way he always has a dog in the fight. I think that's awesome, I'd do that if I reviewed games.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I like everyone! I'll bounce from Dice Tower to Rahdo to Drive-Thru to SU&SD to Heavy Cardbaord to Calandale... Maybe even Bottom Liner now

Lichtenstein posted:

I wish they were more aware of their biases and humble about them & their mistakes. Like, it's okay to be subjective and open about it - Quinn's infamous semi-obsession for what he considers emergent humor isn't even a quarter of bias Rahdo or Calandale have, but with those guys it's always 100% clear what their preferences and self-imposed restrictions are and they're able to at least speculate in good faith about them played the "proper" way. SUSD's stubborn notion of being infallible golden gods of gaming opinions is IMO their single greatest flaw, both hurting the reviews themselves and their ability to grow.

I will specifically seek out Rahdo's take on games because I mostly play stuff 2p and that seems like it's what he focuses on too and like you said, is very upfront about what he likes and dislikes. I am curious about your comment about them being "infallible": is this something that comes up in the podcasts or is it the snarky semi-ironic tone they take in games that makes them come across this way? My biggest problem with them by far is more what Captain Apathy was getting at regarding their hate for kickstarted games that came across as them looking for a problem because it was KS'd rather than evaluating it like they would anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Goddamn it the Project: ELITE reprint is coming to Kickstarter Q4 this year from CMON so it's gonna be expensive as gently caress and I'm going to go all in because the game rules.