Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I still think we're gonna find out Chuck Tingle is actually Seanbaby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Maybe Rothfuss should just have Tingle finish the series. Say what you will, the man is productive.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Pounded in the rear end by my Magic School Loan Debt

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ccs posted:

Butt, buckaroo.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

drat, I'm not the scholar of Tingle I thought I was.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Butt, buckaroo.

I hope to achieve this level one day. I'm just a butt bud right now.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Has the man finished the book about the guy in the bar telling a story yet?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
He says he has, but it's been getting edited for a decade now and I guess they still, after all this time, can't make a decent story out of what he's written.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Has the man finished the book about the guy in the bar telling a story yet?

He did, 7 years ago. He just hasn't admitted it yet.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Ccs posted:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Since BotL is in another month long time out should we take some time to talk about how good the prose is in these books? We might be able to make him burst a blood vessel in his eye if he's still browsing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Negotiating the Price of a Butt Pounding in a Region that Does Not Accept Commonwealth Currency

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

So Good at Getting Pounded in the Butt by My Own Butt that My Own Butt Doesn't Believe It's My First Time Being Pounded in the Butt by My Own Butt

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
If you read or listen to the description of this series given by anyone, or even read the description on the back of the books, you may believe that these are run of the mill fantasy books.

However, that couldn't be further from the truth.

In fact, Name of the Wind is the youngest novel to be featured on NPR's 100 greatest sci-fi fantasy books. It sits proudly alongside such classics as Ender's Game and Lord of the Rings, and it belongs there.

What's so good about Kingkiller? You might not realize once you first start reading. However, as you get further in, it becomes clearer that you're reading an artistic work with a soul that is not present in most literature, fantasy or otherwise. The first thing that begins to stand out is the writing. To put it short: it's beautiful. Rothfuss fills his story with profound truths about life and love, that he seems to pull out both casually and effortlessly. Kvothe tells us what he's learned from life in a voice that is at once cynical, passionate, and occasionally poetic. The second are the characters. Many of the people who live in Rothfuss's world speak and act in a way that not only makes them likable, but makes you genuinely wish to know them, to read about them and spend time with them. Unlike many modern writers, the people Rothfuss creates are not bundles of flaws and angst with the flimsy excuse that it makes them realistic. They are human beings who can be looked at as either ugly, beautiful, or hilarious, including Kvothe himself.

Speaking of Kvothe, these books deserve mention for their portrayal of what actually leads to "heroic" behavior. Kvothe is brilliant, but he is also impulsive, reckless, arrogant, and has an unfortunate tendency to act without thinking. These traits almost get him killed many times, and also occasionally lead to him doing something "heroic" if your definition on that term is loose. But stories are told, and he's soon remembered as something far greater than what he was.

Finally, there's the magic. A lot of thought went into how the magic of Name of the Wind works. I can't explain it here, but suffice it to say Physics majors may love these books for "sympathy", while fantasy nerds will be captivated by the author's unique take on Naming magic.

Once you start, these books will eat your life until you finish. Read them!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

How the flying gently caress is Naming unique? Le Guin did it half a century ago!

VVVV Do poetry instead. Because even "good" fantasy books have awful, wretched poetry.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 23, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Since BotL is in another month long time out should we take some time to talk about how good the prose is in these books?

*slides into thread like Kramer*

Did someone say prose?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
The Butt Pounders Chronicle: The Name of My Butt
The Butt Pounders Chronicle Part 2: The Wise Man's Butt

Sham bam bamina! posted:

If you read or listen to the description of this series given by anyone, or even read the description on the back of the books, you may believe that these are run of the mill fantasy books.

However, that couldn't be further from the truth.

In fact, Name of the Wind is the youngest novel to be featured on NPR's 100 greatest sci-fi fantasy books. It sits proudly alongside such classics as Ender's Game and Lord of the Rings, and it belongs there.

What's so good about Kingkiller? You might not realize once you first start reading. However, as you get further in, it becomes clearer that you're reading an artistic work with a soul that is not present in most literature, fantasy or otherwise. The first thing that begins to stand out is the writing. To put it short: it's beautiful. Rothfuss fills his story with profound truths about life and love, that he seems to pull out both casually and effortlessly. Kvothe tells us what he's learned from life in a voice that is at once cynical, passionate, and occasionally poetic. The second are the characters. Many of the people who live in Rothfuss's world speak and act in a way that not only makes them likable, but makes you genuinely wish to know them, to read about them and spend time with them. Unlike many modern writers, the people Rothfuss creates are not bundles of flaws and angst with the flimsy excuse that it makes them realistic. They are human beings who can be looked at as either ugly, beautiful, or hilarious, including Kvothe himself.

Speaking of Kvothe, these books deserve mention for their portrayal of what actually leads to "heroic" behavior. Kvothe is brilliant, but he is also impulsive, reckless, arrogant, and has an unfortunate tendency to act without thinking. These traits almost get him killed many times, and also occasionally lead to him doing something "heroic" if your definition on that term is loose. But stories are told, and he's soon remembered as something far greater than what he was.

Finally, there's the magic. A lot of thought went into how the magic of Name of the Wind works. I can't explain it here, but suffice it to say Physics majors may love these books for "sympathy", while fantasy nerds will be captivated by the author's unique take on Naming magic.

Once you start, these books will eat your life until you finish. Read them!

Source your quotes, please.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I looked up what the denizens of the internet think are the best lines from Kingkiller. I present them here for your analysis and/or evisceration:

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”

“You see, women are like fires, like flames. Some women are like candles, bright and friendly. Some are like single sparks, or embers, like fireflies for chasing on summer nights. Some are like campfires, all light and heat for a night and willing to be left after. Some women are like hearthfires, not much to look at but underneath they are all warm red coal that burns a long, long while.”

“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts. There are seven words that will make a person love you. There are ten words that will break a strong man's will. But a word is nothing but a painting of a fire. A name is the fire itself.”

This one I actually like up until the last line, though it could do without "feet" appearing twice so close together:

“Go out in the early days of winter, after the first cold snap of the season. Find a pool of water with a sheet of ice across the top, still fresh and new and clear as glass. Near the shore the ice will hold you. Slide out farther. Farther. Eventually you'll find the place where the surface just barely bears your weight. There you will feel what I felt. The ice splinters under your feet. Look down and you can see the white cracks darting through the ice like mad, elaborate spiderwebs. It is perfectly silent, but you can feel the sudden sharp vibrations through the bottoms of your feet.
That is what happened when Denna smiled at me.”

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How the flying gently caress is Naming unique? Le Guin did it half a century ago!

The ancient Egyptians did it millennia ago.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

SpacePig posted:

Source your quotes, please.
The Name Of The Wind is quite simply the best fantasy novel of the past 10 years, although attaching a genre qualification threatens to drat it with faint praise. Say instead that The Name Of The Wind is one of the best stories told in any medium in a decade. Author Patrick Rothfuss teaches English at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, and he describes himself in self-deprecating terms as a perpetual student, role-playing geek, and connoisseur of rejection letters. That's all about to change. His debut novel combines the intricate stories-within-stories structure of The Arabian Nights with the academic setting of the Harry Potter series, and transforms it all into a brooding, thoroughly adult meditation on how heroism went wrong. More entries in the series, dubbed "The Kingkiller Chronicle," are promised; they can't appear fast enough.

Rothfuss' protagonist initially appears as a village innkeeper named Kote. But when the spider-like Chandrian, demonic beings long relegated to myth, reappear near his town, a Chronicler suspects that Kote is actually the legendary hero Kvothe, and visits to demand his history. The bulk of the novel is the first part of that history, Kvothe's first-person account of his upbringing in a traveling theatrical troupe, his tutelage in the ways of sympathy—natural magic—by an arcanist who joins the band, the death of his parents at the hands of the Chandrian, and his education at the university where he masters the techniques of sympathy, has his heart broken by a melancholy courtesan, and begins to learn the deepest magic of secret names. All this is preface to the revenge he hopes to exact on the creatures who killed his family, yet the rich digressions make for compelling stories on their own: Kvothe's escalating feud with a nobly born student, his dangerous debt to a loan shark to pay for his tuition, the risks he runs to gain access to the library for his Chandrian research after being banned on his first day for carrying a flame into the stacks.

Fantasy is often considered an adolescent medium, but there's nothing juvenile about Kvothe or his story. Not only does Rothfuss sprinkle in the occasional vulgarity (in one bracing moment, Kvothe's beloved blurts out "it's a goddamn huge dragon and it's going to come over here and eat us"), but the aura of tragedy that hovers over this bright, crowded coming-of-age tale conveys a fully mature world-weariness and loss of hope. Shelve The Name Of The Wind beside The Lord Of The Rings, The Deed Of Paksenarrion, and The Wheel Of Time—and look forward to the day when it's mentioned in the same breath, perhaps as first among equals.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hey the Chandrian aren't even the spiders. They have another name I'm not going to bother looking up. That guy must be a fake fan.

Gotta wonder how Kvothe is gonna best 7 big bads within one book. In a sensibly paced series he'd have killed at least one of them by now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

VVVV Do poetry instead. Because even "good" fantasy books have awful, wretched poetry.

As I mentioned at some point in the past: The concept of 'Naming' and True Names is literally several thousand years old. Isis learns Ra's true name and uses the power over him to put Horus on the throne in ancient Egyptian mythology.

It is quite possibly the least original kind of magic to use in story telling.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Ccs posted:

I looked up what the denizens of the internet think are the best lines from Kingkiller. I present them here for your analysis and/or evisceration:

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”

“You see, women are like fires, like flames. Some women are like candles, bright and friendly. Some are like single sparks, or embers, like fireflies for chasing on summer nights. Some are like campfires, all light and heat for a night and willing to be left after. Some women are like hearthfires, not much to look at but underneath they are all warm red coal that burns a long, long while.”

“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts. There are seven words that will make a person love you. There are ten words that will break a strong man's will. But a word is nothing but a painting of a fire. A name is the fire itself.”

This one I actually like up until the last line, though it could do without "feet" appearing twice so close together:

“Go out in the early days of winter, after the first cold snap of the season. Find a pool of water with a sheet of ice across the top, still fresh and new and clear as glass. Near the shore the ice will hold you. Slide out farther. Farther. Eventually you'll find the place where the surface just barely bears your weight. There you will feel what I felt. The ice splinters under your feet. Look down and you can see the white cracks darting through the ice like mad, elaborate spiderwebs. It is perfectly silent, but you can feel the sudden sharp vibrations through the bottoms of your feet.
That is what happened when Denna smiled at me.”

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Since BotL is in another month long time out should we take some time to talk about how good the prose is in these books? We might be able to make him burst a blood vessel in his eye if he's still browsing.

I enjoy reading the Kingkiller Chronicle books so that must mean they are well written.

Am I doing this right? You think he’s slamming his keyboard in rage right now?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ccs posted:

Gotta wonder how Kvothe is gonna best 7 big bads within one book. In a sensibly paced series he'd have killed at least one of them by now.

My guess is he only killed CInder and maybe one other. Ras gets bent out of shape when he says their names, so they have to be kicking around somewhere still.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't know how I'll find the time to read the third book, maybe as a break between marathon Star Citizen sessions?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

latinotwink1997 posted:

I enjoy reading the Kingkiller Chronicle books so that must mean they are well written.

Am I doing this right? You think he’s slamming his keyboard in rage right now?

Agreed. I think it's the way Rothfuss uses the unreliable narrator format that really gets you thinking. I can't think of another book that has ever used it so eloquently.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

eXXon posted:

I don't know how I'll find the time to read the third book, maybe as a break between marathon Star Citizen sessions?

:tipshat:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Solice Kirsk posted:

Agreed. I think it's the way Rothfuss uses the unreliable narrator format that really gets you thinking. I can't think of another book that has ever used it so eloquently.
I dare say that in its subversion of tropes it can stand toe-to-toe with even the works of Joe Abercrombie.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I dare say that in its subversion of tropes it can stand toe-to-toe with even the works of Joe Abercrombie.

Just posting to say that both books are better than 18th century classic a meleg nagybátyám meghalt, which I have read.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I'm really hoping that in the third book, Kvothe will finish telling his story and then go out to deal with the menacing (?) creatures near his tavern and then gets killed. I want the story within the story to end, so we can go back to the real story.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Just posting to say that both books are better than 18th century classic a meleg nagybátyám meghalt, which I have read.

If we wait 100 years, this will be considered literature too. The only difference between literature and genre fiction is age.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

If we wait 100 years, this will be considered literature too. The only difference between literature and genre fiction is age.

Ah, that's completely wrong though

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

TV Zombie posted:

I'm really hoping that in the third book, Kvothe will finish telling his story and then go out to deal with the menacing (?) creatures near his tavern and then gets killed. I want the story within the story to end, so we can go back to the real story.

My hope is that he surges back to his full power once he remembers how cool he thinks he is, but then his current body can't handle it and he crumbles into dust.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Solice Kirsk posted:

oh honey no

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Good sentiment in the abstract, but pretty off-base when it comes to predicting the future of these books specifically.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You guys aren't playing this game right...

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Solice Kirsk posted:

I must try to live long enough to see a high school/college course teaching classic literature like the twilight books and this series.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nah, most fiction that was popular in its day has been entirely forgotten and rightly so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

:thejoke: