Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

I was just going off the racial stuff you linked, and its for the most part really good but now people are complaining that warforged can get plate armour for free as a racial which means the good design is going to get taken away im sure :(

Oh in that case Feedback takes place next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Imagine picking polearm master and never finding a magic glaive/halberd.

(I believe there are no magic polearms at all in official modules, but the magical quarterstaves are great)

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 24, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Zarick posted:

Plate armor for free as a racial... at level one. Eventually it scales up past even +3 plate armor because it scales with your proficiency bonus, and you're not reliant on the DM's charity (which is a big deal in this edition).

Zarick posted:

I'd be totally fine with this logic except for the fact that martial characters get owned hard by it. There are an incredible amount of monsters who take half damage from all nonmagical weapons.

We went through the entirety of Princes of the Apocalypse and our bow fighter did not get a magic bow. Thank god she picked Arcane Archer.

I mean, if you're playing in Eberron you should be making GBS threads out magic items by the time you get to level 17. I mean you should never really be starting before level 3 and while its certainly a leg up early, its usually a point or two above the martial in full plate (assuming they never get magic armour, which again shouldn't be a problem in Eberron). You cap out at 22 AC which is +3 Plate which is equivalent of the top end magic plate but without any of the bonus effects that they give, like the efreeti chain giving you immunity to fire damage or the scorpion armours crazy +5 initiative bonus.

It's a genuinely good ability that really makes the race worth it and is the only real feature you get as the rest of the abilities are often irrelevant for many peoples campaigns and especially an Eberron game. Though the tool expertise is pretty nice on the Envoy.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 24, 2018

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

sebmojo posted:

The underground sea is exploratory, and there's a lot of potential for shenanigans once you start playing off dungeon powers against each other, but its a dungeon crawl homage so yeah lots of fighting. Read the Marblehall section and the Hag bit in the grove as an example of some of the other flavour.

Yeah there's a deliberate setup where your expeditions into the dungeon are encounter-heavy but they're also on a time limit due to the submergence mechanic, and each time you go in you'll find more plot hooks and clues that you can look into back on the surface using the last 1/4 of the book.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Pinwiz11 posted:

The best part of the Ravinca setting is that I could GM a campaign and say that Jace is dead. So dead. So so so so so dead. Cut into a thousand pieces, those pieces caught fire, and then Bolas swept them into a vortex dead. No, you can't bring him back. Garruk is your lord now.

Is he? Last time I checked Jace was now literally the Guildpact of Ravnica and was now an intrinsic part of the lore of that setting? I mean that doesn't mean he can't be Super Duper Dead Forever. In fact, he should be especially if it contradicts the lore. gently caress Jace.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Glagha posted:

Is he? Last time I checked Jace was now literally the Guildpact of Ravnica and was now an intrinsic part of the lore of that setting? I mean that doesn't mean he can't be Super Duper Dead Forever. In fact, he should be especially if it contradicts the lore. gently caress Jace.

It looks like the buildup to the next is that the guild leaders are finding that when Jace is off doing stuff The Guildpact isn't as powerful. This is a problem for reasons. I think the next Rav set comes out around when the book does hopefully settling the Jace nonsense.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The new Guildpact is now just a physical document of rules for the Guilds, no longer a magic contract. Jace is now called the Living Guildpact because he won the Triwizard Tornament through a mind meld with champions from every Guild and it gave him the ability to be the perfect arbiter of Guildpact disputes, but he's not explicitly maintaining it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CubeTheory posted:

Rarely did our village see visitors, especially one as queer as this, and yet no one was meeting him on the street, gretting him to our home, or asking about his business. It was if he wasn't there at all.

:same:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also lmao that they decided to release more MTG crap instead of a more interesting setting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pollyanna posted:

Also lmao that they decided to release more MTG crap instead of a more interesting setting.

I don't really know anything about Ravncia. So I am willing to give it a chance. It's going to be a full on book rather then a just 40 or so page document.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

The MtG creative team is better than the D&D one, so why not steal their homework?

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Glagha posted:

So who's this Jace guy and why does he need to die? Not really familiar with Magic the Gathering lore.

From context in this thread he seems like an Elminster-style uberwizard that you'd need to write around in order to give the PCs something to do; otherwise he'd single-handedly solve the adventure for them. There's a reason Forgotten Realms gets disparaged for being bloated with so many high-level NPCs that there's no niche for the players to fill.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
It's less that he's an uber-wizard, more that he's just kind of boring and is always around. But also he's a bit of an uber-wizard.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Basically in MtG blue is the colour of things like 'intelligence' and 'being tricksy' and Jace is the iconic blue character, so he generally gets picked for pulling out bullshit solutions and being a favourite of bad nerd writers.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Aren't MtG card descriptions like 2 sentences long, max? How is that kinda thing even possible?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MtG has had poo poo like novels, starter pack/booster pack inserts, web extras, and so forth to explore its lore for most of its lifetime. I remember reading about Ursa's backstory back in the 90's, and that was a summary from something larger.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
I'm kind of surprised they haven't attempted to convert a Magic setting into D&D sooner.

The magic system seems like it'd map pretty well into D&D (from what I remember of the different colors):

White = Clerics, Paladins
Green = Druids, Rangers
Blue = Enchantment and Illusion Wizards, Bards
Red = Evocation and Conjuration Wizards
Black = Necromancers (maybe some Warlocks as well)

Does that sound about right?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Wyvernil posted:

I'm kind of surprised they haven't attempted to convert a Magic setting into D&D sooner.

The magic system seems like it'd map pretty well into D&D (from what I remember of the different colors):

White = Clerics, Paladins
Green = Druids, Rangers
Blue = Enchantment and Illusion Wizards, Bards
Red = Evocation and Conjuration Wizards
Black = Necromancers (maybe some Warlocks as well)

Does that sound about right?

every class can pretty much fit every color it's just how you use your magic that determines it (also pretty much everyone eve simple warriors can have some magic)

oh also D&D is a terrible fit for MtG

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Kaysette posted:

I'm one step closer to realizing my AL dream of Blasto the Warforged Warlock and that's OK in my book.
Easier even. You get Plate armour access from level 1, access to three +1 boosts to stats as an envoy, all the easier to multiclass Fighter with Warlock with Sorcerer :getin:

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wyvernil posted:

Not sure why you'd intentionally make a bad class.
Are the designers one of those people who subscribe to the "No monks, European fantasy only, Final Destination" philosophy?

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I wouldn't mind hearing why this is the case, if it's literally the case.

I edited my original post b/c I was wrong when I said James Wyatt doesn’t like Monks. It was Jonathan Tweet (who co-authored 13A with Rob Heinsoo). Essentially, Tweet didn’t like the Monk in 3e/3.5 and left them out of core 13A, but fans wanted a playable Monk so one was included as a Kickstarter goal for 13 True Ways. I couldn’t find the original blog post that mentioned this, but I did find an AMA with Tweet from 2014.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/8t7mHtL.jpg[/timg]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/aL1cQxq.jpg[/timg]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/0XNYdIf.jpg[/timg]

I’ll try to fix the imgur embedding later.

BetterWeirdthanDead fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 24, 2018

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

kingcom posted:

I mean, if you're playing in Eberron you should be making GBS threads out magic items by the time you get to level 17. I mean you should never really be starting before level 3 and while its certainly a leg up early, its usually a point or two above the martial in full plate (assuming they never get magic armour, which again shouldn't be a problem in Eberron). You cap out at 22 AC which is +3 Plate which is equivalent of the top end magic plate but without any of the bonus effects that they give, like the efreeti chain giving you immunity to fire damage or the scorpion armours crazy +5 initiative bonus.

It's a genuinely good ability that really makes the race worth it and is the only real feature you get as the rest of the abilities are often irrelevant for many peoples campaigns and especially an Eberron game. Though the tool expertise is pretty nice on the Envoy.

Even if they do get magic armor it's still better.

A light armored warforged is starting with the equivalent of +1 studded leather. At maximum they have the equivalent of +5(!) studded leather.
A medium armored warforged is starting with the equivalent of mundane half-plate that doesn't give you disadvantage on Stealth checks. In the end they end up with the equivalent of +4 half-plate.
A heavy armored warforged is starting with the equivalent of mundane full plate. In the end they end up with the equivalent of +4 full plate.

That would be good enough on its own, but their armor doesn't encumber them, they never need to take it off, and at the beginning of the day if they decide they want to use a different armor (a pretty niche case, admittedly) they can swap between the highest quality armors at their decision.

This is in addition to:

* Advantage to saves vs poison and resistance to poison
* Immunity to disease
* No need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep
* While you do need to rest, you are totally aware while doing so

Their default ability score is the one that's never going to not be useful, and their subraces mostly have good benefits. (Juggernaut isn't that incredible, but for a martial character I'd still be down for all the reasons above.)

I'm not necessarily saying that they're so powerful they'll break the game, but a magic armor that scaled with you all the way up to being +4 (or even +5, if you use light armor), can change its type at will, and doesn't reduce your speed or need to be equipped/unequipped would be a legendary or artifact item.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
dnd having a setting makes about as much since as mtg having one tbh

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Farg posted:

dnd having a setting makes about as much since as mtg having one tbh

?????

I've played a hundred hours of MTG without ever needing a setting to interact with.

You absolutely need one for D&D. It makes complete sense that they would have a "vanilla" version available.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Wyvernil posted:

So who's this Jace guy and why does he need to die? Not really familiar with Magic the Gathering lore.

From context in this thread he seems like an Elminster-style uberwizard that you'd need to write around in order to give the PCs something to do; otherwise he'd single-handedly solve the adventure for them. There's a reason Forgotten Realms gets disparaged for being bloated with so many high-level NPCs that there's no niche for the players to fill.

You basically got it. In MtG lore he's basically just this Cool and Powerful wizard who gets a ton of the spotlight as the iconic Blue character, a color in Magic people don't like a lot of the time because it's the color that is generally the best and does the most obnoxious things like preventing you from casting spells. He was also the subject of a really notorious card called Jace, the Mindsculptor, which practically twisted every format that it could be played in to be about him because it was so good.

So yeah, he's a character that is constantly showing up in storylines and doing mysterious wizard poo poo, represents a color that frustrates players by being better than all the others, and was printed on a very overpowered card.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zarick posted:

Even if they do get magic armor it's still better.

A light armored warforged is starting with the equivalent of +1 studded leather. At maximum they have the equivalent of +5(!) studded leather.
A medium armored warforged is starting with the equivalent of mundane half-plate that doesn't give you disadvantage on Stealth checks. In the end they end up with the equivalent of +4 half-plate.
A heavy armored warforged is starting with the equivalent of mundane full plate. In the end they end up with the equivalent of +4 full plate.

That would be good enough on its own, but their armor doesn't encumber them, they never need to take it off, and at the beginning of the day if they decide they want to use a different armor (a pretty niche case, admittedly) they can swap between the highest quality armors at their decision.

This is in addition to:

* Advantage to saves vs poison and resistance to poison
* Immunity to disease
* No need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep
* While you do need to rest, you are totally aware while doing so

Their default ability score is the one that's never going to not be useful, and their subraces mostly have good benefits. (Juggernaut isn't that incredible, but for a martial character I'd still be down for all the reasons above.)

I'm not necessarily saying that they're so powerful they'll break the game, but a magic armor that scaled with you all the way up to being +4 (or even +5, if you use light armor), can change its type at will, and doesn't reduce your speed or need to be equipped/unequipped would be a legendary or artifact item.

Honestly that's pretty cool and the end result is a guy who gets hit less. No big deal

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

kidkissinger posted:

?????

I've played a hundred hours of MTG without ever needing a setting to interact with.

You absolutely need one for D&D. It makes complete sense that they would have a "vanilla" version available.

but it's about making up a story to go on why would you need a script to follow that's just a play or a video game

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Farg posted:

but it's about making up a story to go on why would you need a script to follow that's just a play or a video game

A setting isn’t a script. Have you read any of the D&D setting books?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
but you don't need it you can just make it up, just like you don't need it for card game

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've been planning and doing grunt work and postponing etc this Feywild campaign for ages. (I don't wanna start it til I get a new job because I can read the writing on the wall that this one isn't gonna last and I want to have stability for the game.)

A friend wants to be a ranger and have weird neat pets but the only interesting beasts are "giant X." And at the moment I know dick all about how ranger works. Will either PHB or UA Ranger break things if I let him have a Blink Dog?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Farg posted:

but you don't need it you can just make it up, just like you don't need it for card game

You don't need to play DnD either since you can just make all of it up but yet here you are

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Stealing the magic setting wholesale into 13th Age with all the major players as icons seems like a fun thing to do with this 5e book~

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Andrast posted:

You don't need to play DnD either since you can just make all of it up but yet here you are

well sure but you could make up all the card game rules too we need some base here don't be reductive ad absurdo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Farg posted:

well sure but you could make up all the card game rules too we need some base here don't be reductive ad absurdo

and many people might like a little more base to tell stories on than some others

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Especially a base that is understood across different players in the same way, for collaborative storytelling.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Farg posted:

I play Adventurers League games almost weekly and that definitely requires a common setting to function, unlike Friday Night Magic or other organized card game events.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Andrast posted:

and many people might like a little more base to tell stories on than some others

same people might want a little more base for a card game too

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Farg posted:

same people might want a little more base for a card game too

Sure, whatever floats their boat. MTG has themed sets and flavor text for a reason.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Andrast posted:

Sure, whatever floats their boat. MTG has themed sets and flavor text for a reason.

Thank you for agreeing with my way of view

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Man I ran a one-shot from Sly Flourish's Fantastic Adventures last night for my group. I gave it some backstory to make a campaign if people want to keep going after.

The one-shot turned into a two shot because of one NPC I put no prep into, compared to others I prepped for a couple of hours.

Basically you get to a bandit den and there is a magic gargoyle, named Bob because it was what I thought of on the spot, above the door that can talk. But nobody in the bandit den talks to him. He's described as "a lonely chatty gargoyle who had been ignored by the bandits but knows much about the banditry inside."

I played basically like a lonely old southern man on his porch that just wants to talk. The more the players talk, the happier he gets and the more information he gives. I expected like 10 minutes, tops, of a few questions like "how many bandits? Any traps?" It ended up being 45 minutes of asking him the above, about the poisonous plants around the area, confirming that a shambling mound was a shambling mound, where the dragon is around, and a bunch of stuff I forgot. Probably could've been shorter but, as an old man just wanting to talk, his answers were super meandering and wandered but in the end he would come back to the point. Because he meandered that would trigger more questions and it just kept going.

So, for the shambling mound it was basically "I wouldn't say I knows what a shambling mound is gentlemen, as being a stationary fixture of sorts my ability to see the world and do some book learning is limited, but I would say that it appears to me to indeed be a mound of foliage of some type I reckon and one could definitely describe it, aptly so, as shambling round these here parts an the like I hope that does help ya'll in your endeavours thank you so much for this question this has been amazing I have been so lonely good sirs if any of ya'll any more questions or conversation please go ahead I cannot stress how enjoyable this is for Bob here to have some real nice folk to talk to after these here bandit folk inside ain't giving Bob the time 'a day, which, 'course, Bob don't need as Bob's outside all the time and if there's one thing Bob knows it's the time 'a day, speakin' of which I like the day time most as that's when I can see things all the better."

No period because old men talk so you can't cut in politely.

But he's basically the best NPC the party can possibly encounter. Has information and his drive is to talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olavi
Aug 8, 2013
I'm a guy in my thirties and I just bought the three basic books of the 5th edition. The closest I've ever been to playing a d&d is Baldur's gate pc game series, but I am quite familiar with the traditional gameplay in theory. I'm just looking for a good time with my friends with my weird imagination as an engine for my dm career.

Am I getting ahead of myself?

edit. What I mean is: Does the 5th edition have what it takes to provide my noob butt what I crave?

Olavi fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 24, 2018