Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Audubon photography awards are out.

Kaninrail posted:

Birds fighting over a blackberry:

This is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

DorianGravy posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Tamron 18-400mm?
Pretty much every sample picture I've seen from that lens has been at least a little soft, and very soft (especially in the corners) at the long end. If I were travelling and only wanted to bring one lens along, I'd probably pick one up; otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Get the 70-300 Tamron it's actually sharper.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How does the thread feel about birds in captivity? The wife and I visited the safari park in San Diego today. I’ll post them if there’s any interest?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

How does the thread feel about birds in captivity? The wife and I visited the safari park in San Diego today. I’ll post them if there’s any interest?

Yeah no worries, my first bunch of pictures in this thread were like that

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
With regards to possibly getting an easier shot? I couldn’t care less myself, although i do admire folks who put a ton of effort into finding quarry in the wild.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Attitude by B. B., on Flickr

Looking for a Chamber Door by B. B., on Flickr

Handsome by B. B., on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

This is very cool.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

nmfree posted:

Pretty much every sample picture I've seen from that lens has been at least a little soft, and very soft (especially in the corners) at the long end. If I were travelling and only wanted to bring one lens along, I'd probably pick one up; otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

VelociBacon posted:

Get the 70-300 Tamron it's actually sharper.

Thanks for the input! I'll see if I can try out a couple lenses first.

I like the one with the Bald Eagle claws. I usually enjoy detail photos of some aspect of a bird, but it's so hard to get close enough.

Ravens are wonderful. I agree that this one is really neat.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DorianGravy posted:

Thanks for the input! I'll see if I can try out a couple lenses first.

I've got a lot of Tamron 70-300 VC USD shots of birds and other poo poo on my Flickr if you wanted to hop back a year or so. Mostly shot with a d750/d7k.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Top 100 here

Nice penguin

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Righto, here are some of the lovely birds I saw at the Wild Safari Park down in Escondido, CA.

Lorikeets

My wife feeding one

A few crowned cranes

Scarlet Ibis - Native to Northern South America, Trinidad

Bald Eagle

and now the birds that I don't know!

I feel like this one is an Egyptian Pygmy Falcon.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

and now the birds that I don't know!

I feel like this one is an Egyptian Pygmy Falcon.

Bar-headed Goose (I think)
Common Moorhen (likely a wild bird hanging out there)
Some kind of pelican
And the falcon looks like a male American Kestrel, our smallest native falcon.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Forgot I'd taken this last week

Looks nice in color but I like the effect in B&W

ISO 140 | 1/1250th/sec

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Green Woodpecker

Even with a 300mm lens, they are flighty and tricky to get anywhere close to.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Found a sleepy great horned owl early this morning, warming up in the morning sunshine.

Found it because crows were mobbing it--I snapped a bunch of photos and after a few minutes the owl got sick of the crows and flew deeper into the woods, where they chased it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Those are some scary talons.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Great Horned Owls are top predators of other top predators. They account for a solid chunk of the mortality of ravens, hawks, and juvenile birds of all sizes and ecological niches, including other owls.

I've found them before from watching corvids lose their poo poo in a tall tree. For whatever reason, only some birds are smart enough / willing to join in on mobbing an owl - the pair of black-billed magpies that started screaming at a spruce tree soon turned into at least 20 before the owl broke cover (pursued by the mob), but on a different occassion all the other robins ignored the one that was goading a young Great Horned in a poplar.

Watch the crows. When they get antsy, there's usually a good reason.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Watch the crows. When they get antsy, there's usually a good reason.
Hell yeah. I knew I was in for a treat even before I emerged into the sunshine--crows don't lose their poo poo like that for no reason, so I knew there would be some sort of large raptor nearby. Couldn't believe how lucky I was with the owl perched directly in the sunshine close to the trail.

At maximum zoom on my 200-500mm he filled the entire frame, so most of the best photos are ~400-450mm so that there's a bit more of the surroundings in the photo.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Last time I saw a robin fussing at an owl, the owl had found it's nest and was grabbing chicks out of the nest one-by-one and taking them to it's fat baby while the robins looked on helplessly.

owl_eating_robin 220 on Flickr

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Incredibly hosed up. Reminds me of some giant koi trying to eat ducklings whole and the mother playing whack-a-mole with her beak.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Decided to get off my butt in this hot weather and practice at a local park, seems the heron is different to the one I saw in 2016, but there's still only the one. :smith:

Still, a very patient lad/lass and happily posed all day, the moorhens were pretty co-operative too just a shame I blew the highlights a bit.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So. loving. Close.

Almost a great shot by B. B., on Flickr

Feeding by B. B., on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

You may not have captured exactly what you wanted but it’s still a very cool shot.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Red Throat by B. B., on Flickr

Dude is proud as gently caress.

Throat by B. B., on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DSC_7257.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_7390.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Love the low angle on this

I like the b&w choice on this one.

torgeaux posted:

So. loving. Close.

Almost a great shot by B. B., on Flickr

Still pretty rad- so hard to catch a hummingbird fight!

torgeaux posted:

Dude is proud as gently caress.

Throat by B. B., on Flickr

How close were you? drat

Love the colors in the first one, and the spotlight effect of the second. Kind of like a noire movie where someone's peaking through a keyhole or slightly open door and there's just light on part of their face.

No new pictures to share, but I do have some photo news. I finally printed up a bunch of note cards and sold them at a local festival today. It actually went really well, especially for a first run. Sold a bunch of cards, talked to a ton of folks. Probably 75% of my cards on display were from the local park which was within sight of my table, so it was pretty cool to be able to bond with folks who'd spent a lot of time there and also amaze the people who didn't know all that cool stuff that lived there.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thanks!

Going through my backlog, couple of tree sparrows - they were everywhere and very adorable.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

July 23rd

Our garden robin. Raised three broods this year.
The last of the fledglings have flown, now the moult.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ok, I think I may have hit my personal best tonight.

Personal Best by B. B., on Flickr

Shake It Off by B. B., on Flickr

The Kiss by B. B., on Flickr

Prelude to the Kiss by B. B., on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Oh, holy hell. Outstanding.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Goddamn

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

:eyepop: hell yes

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

Ok, I think I may have hit my personal best tonight.

Personal Best by B. B., on Flickr

President Beep posted:

Oh, holy hell. Outstanding.

Atlatl posted:

:eyepop: hell yes

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
yeah that is quite the framing. Amazing shot

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

drat.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
That is superb, I really like the poses in those, torgeaux.

Killdeer

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

there is a mama duck in minnesota that is caring for 76 babbys :)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/24/science/merganser-ducklings-photo.html

more pics in this Twitter thing

https://twitter.com/i/events/1022139322181378048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Pretty much all birding comes down to knowing time and place. With home feeders, the place is easy, and it's really a matter of them adjusting to you on hummingbirds. These little bastards are so used to me now, they're giving me attitude.

What are YOU looking at by B. B., on Flickr