Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Serious response:

you sound like you're pretty on the ball already, you have photos of how you left the apartment, you have a plan, you know small claims court exists, etc. Any more specific advice would need to come from an actual lawyer in Vegas and would probably cost money.

Thanks. Sounds good :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I would first check to see if there's a tenants' rights or similar organization in the municipality or county or state (ha ha it's Nevada, but still).

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
People always say take pictures of your apartment before and after you leave

but can't you just take a picture after you damaged it and say it was like that when i moved in

e: or take pictures the day you move in, before you damage it, and say the undamaged pictures are how it looked when you moved out

Ein cooler Typ fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 19, 2018

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You can but you'll be committing perjury and could go to jail when they find out you intentionally tried to defraud the court.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

People always say take pictures of your apartment before and after you leave

but can't you just take a picture after you damaged it and say it was like that when i moved in

e: or take pictures the day you move in, before you damage it, and say the undamaged pictures are how it looked when you moved out

I dunno about small claims court in Nevada, but in real court you could (maybe/probably) get undated photos excluded as evidence

Also at least one attorney out there has a great story about introducing the properly dated photos the landlord took that shows the tenant is full of poo poo and committing perjury

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

The key is to make sure you've got a copy of today's newspaper in each picture frame, and to then mail the developed prints to your home address. That way you have time-stamped (postal stamp) evidence demonstrating the state of your apartment.

It's good because
- Opening a sealed, post marked envelope can be quite dramatic in small claims court
- This one weird trick also works for copyrighting your inventions

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok actual legal question regarding current politics

One thing I've noticed in these "one year old in immigration court" cases is that the judges appear, at least from press reports, to be actually attempting to put the babies through some kind of colloquy -- asking questions like "do you understand why you're here", " are you competent to represent yourself," etc.

Now, *obviously*, the answer to those questions is "no, I am baby." How on earth can

1) The court believe it needs to ask those questions

yet

2) apparently never accept or produce the answer of "No"?

Is the entire procedure just a kangaroo court farce? Or is this the typical loop in such situations where anyone who is competent enough to raise the "I am not competent" defense, is clearly competent because they raised the defense, etc. ?

I could understand if the judges weren't asking at all. if there was no colloquy.. But since they're asking . . . what the gently caress? How are none of these courts ever ruling that the one year old is clearly not competent to represent themselves? If courts ever do rule like that, what happens then to said baby?

Can anyone point me to actual cases on this? I haven't seen a legal analysis of this that goes beyond the initial "gently caress this is absurd" level and I'd be really interested to see what knots prior courts have tangled themselves into on this.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Immigration court isn’t court. It is an administrative hearing and they go through the hoops of asking those questions to demonstrate the person received at least the due process of a hearing.

The hearing officer (“judge”) knows the process is horrible but is also probably a bit of a PoS to take that job knowing what it would entail.

The reason this continues is no one has the ability to really appeal/challenge this process.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Right, but even in administrative hearings, on paper at least, people have due process rights . I don't know if Goldberg v. Kelly rights apply in immigration hearings or not (I suspect not), but even so. They obviously feel the need to go through the farce of a colloquy, so there's probably some policy somewhere saying they have to.

I guess what I'm asking is, I suspect somewhere there must be a piece of paper giving the official "rationale" for that bullshit, and I'm wondering if anyone can cite me to it, because it must be one of the all-time greatest legal absurdities.

Edit: for example, with a bit of googling I found this:
https://scholarship.law.umn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1359&context=lawineq

So there have been holdings that due process required the presence of an interpreter in deportation hearings. Such a requirement would then immediately create an argument that a non-verbal child cannot receive due process without representation. According to that link, appellate courts appear to have evaded this by ruling that the interpreters in deportation hearings are for the record, not for the immigrant, and thus due process isn't entailed. This is of course bullshit, but they appear to have at least jumped through the hoops of writing the bullshit down in rulings. I'm wondering what exactly the bullshit is that, on paper, justifies both giving the colloquy to one year olds and then ignoring the inevitable answers.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 19, 2018

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The real reason is likely to create a record of the fact that these questions were asked, and the respondent was unable to answer them.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Lol at "a serious thread"

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Looking for a German securities law firm that can draw up incorporation papers. If anyone knows such a beast (ideally one that bills at non-BIGLAW rates), please PM.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Right, but even in administrative hearings, on paper at least, people have due process rights . I don't know if Goldberg v. Kelly rights apply in immigration hearings or not (I suspect not), but even so. They obviously feel the need to go through the farce of a colloquy, so there's probably some policy somewhere saying they have to.

I guess what I'm asking is, I suspect somewhere there must be a piece of paper giving the official "rationale" for that bullshit, and I'm wondering if anyone can cite me to it, because it must be one of the all-time greatest legal absurdities.

Edit: for example, with a bit of googling I found this:
https://scholarship.law.umn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1359&context=lawineq

So there have been holdings that due process required the presence of an interpreter in deportation hearings. Such a requirement would then immediately create an argument that a non-verbal child cannot receive due process without representation. According to that link, appellate courts appear to have evaded this by ruling that the interpreters in deportation hearings are for the record, not for the immigrant, and thus due process isn't entailed. This is of course bullshit, but they appear to have at least jumped through the hoops of writing the bullshit down in rulings. I'm wondering what exactly the bullshit is that, on paper, justifies both giving the colloquy to one year olds and then ignoring the inevitable answers.

You’re approaching this from the perspective that the agency in charge would want to ensure the person being brought up has their rights respected.

The agency in charge wants to go through the motion so they can deport people as quickly as possible because politics.

It’s 100% a kangaroo process, it’s 100% ridiculous and unfair and if you are an American citizen its 100% your fault.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

FrozenVent posted:

It’s 100% a kangaroo process, it’s 100% ridiculous and unfair and if you are an American citizen its 100% your fault.

:rolleyes:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

FrozenVent posted:

You’re approaching this from the perspective that the agency in charge would want to ensure the person being brought up has their rights respected.

No I'm not, and I don't think you understand my question.

I'm approaching this from the perspective that administrative agencies and administrative law courts write their bullshit down. They frequently make bullshit rulings and act in bad faith, but they write it down. I was hoping someone could point me to where they had written the specific bullshit down that they used to on paper explain this bullshit. Unfortunately it looks like nobody here knows :shrug:

Past that there are millions of Americans trying to fight this bullshit and all the other Trump bullshit in a lot of different ways at a lot of different levels and in a lot of different ways. If you've got a great way to instantly fix this poo poo please share it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Reminder that the garbage system has literally detained and deported actual US citizens, so if nothing else you should feel weird blaming victims for their own plight.

Hieronymous Alloy, I wanted to pitch your question to our partner that specializes in this area (asylum, removals) but he's out of the office at the moment. When he's back I'll see if I can get him to answer this at all and report back.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/how-to-survive-americas-kill-list-699334/

I read this article last night and found it quite interesting.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is this the timeline we get when we kill a vital npc in Morrowind and keep playing?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Colorado: Is constructive dismissal considered universally without cause or is it case by case?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
you mean like "getting fired"?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I think "I quit, but it's [employer]'s fault!"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

joat mon posted:

I think "I quit, but it's [employer]'s fault!"

I think that term is for situations where the employer technically refuses to fire someone but just makes it impossible for them to work. i.e., "No you're still on the roster, we just aren't assigning you any hours" or "we've reassigned you to the Nome, Alaska store. You'll have to cover your own relocation costs."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

They stop giving you paychecks, and when you don't stop coming to work, they relocate your office to the basement

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

In this case a 1/3 paycut, which was ruled by the 2nd court of appeals to be effectively trying to force someone to quit.

I’m not a lawyer, that’s just the first thing that popped up.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I didn't know if he meant "dismissal = termination/firing/discharge" or like, dismissal of a lawsuit.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Colorado: Is constructive dismissal considered universally without cause or is it case by case?

If you're interested in whether you can collect unemployment benefits if you quit, it seems like a constructive dismissal is normally treated the same as a regular firing; if you hosed up bad enough that you wouldn't be able to collect unemployment if you were fired for it, then the fact that they cut your pay and you quit instead doesn't change anything. The good news is that Colorado's standard for being ineligible for unemployment after a firing is "gross misconduct", which means you'd have to gently caress up in a worse way than just being generally bad at your job.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
I'm considering joining a company with a management position that has certain milestones where I will receive a bonus payout. For example, after 2 years with the company I will receive a bonus payment and a decent number of shares of the company stock worth around 2% ownership (it's a small, non-publicly traded company). What type of clause should I insist on in my employment contract that would prevent them from terminating me at 23 months to prevent the bonus payment and equity transfer? I'm in Nebraska, if that makes a difference.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Bazanga posted:

I'm considering joining a company with a management position that has certain milestones where I will receive a bonus payout. For example, after 2 years with the company I will receive a bonus payment and a decent number of shares of the company stock worth around 2% ownership (it's a small, non-publicly traded company). What type of clause should I insist on in my employment contract that would prevent them from terminating me at 23 months to prevent the bonus payment and equity transfer? I'm in Nebraska, if that makes a difference.

Speaking from a practical perspective rather than a legal one, you probably won't get them to agree to not terminate you, but you might be able to get them to agree to prorate the bonus if you're terminated early. Of course, if they're planning in advance to screw you over, they won't agree to anything.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer

Thuryl posted:

Speaking from a practical perspective rather than a legal one, you probably won't get them to agree to not terminate you, but you might be able to get them to agree to prorate the bonus if you're terminated early. Of course, if they're planning in advance to screw you over, they won't agree to anything.

I'll talk to them about prorating it. They don't seem like bad people but when I'm counting on the results of the 2 year payout I want some kind of assurance.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thuryl posted:

If you're interested in whether you can collect unemployment benefits if you quit, it seems like a constructive dismissal is normally treated the same as a regular firing; if you hosed up bad enough that you wouldn't be able to collect unemployment if you were fired for it, then the fact that they cut your pay and you quit instead doesn't change anything. The good news is that Colorado's standard for being ineligible for unemployment after a firing is "gross misconduct", which means you'd have to gently caress up in a worse way than just being generally bad at your job.

Does it make a difference that I would have to sign/agree to the pay cut if my current employment contract didn't say anything about pay reductions?

Someone said that being fired for refusing to sign a new contract counts as without cause in all 50 states, I'll call the Colorado DoL tomorrow.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Bazanga posted:

I'll talk to them about prorating it. They don't seem like bad people but when I'm counting on the results of the 2 year payout I want some kind of assurance.

You'd ask for single trigger acceleration in the event of termination without cause. (Also perhaps in the case of change of ownership?). Acceleration isn't pro rated.

You probably won't get it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does it make a difference that I would have to sign/agree to the pay cut if my current employment contract didn't say anything about pay reductions?

Someone said that being fired for refusing to sign a new contract counts as without cause in all 50 states, I'll call the Colorado DoL tomorrow.

When I was googling your thing yesterday, I recall reading that a 30% pay reduction was found to be constructive dismissal. I can't find the link at this point, and I think that was from a judge's ruling so it wasn't a slam dunk in that case, and I have no idea if the court would be precedential for Colorado

So, maybe?

I'm not a lawyer

If you were a contract employee whose contract term ended, I would be more curious about whether that still allows for unemployment. Were you an independent contractor, or did you just have an employment contract? It would be pretty unusual in the US to be a regular employee with a contract.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Constructive *discharge* is statute and state* specific.

* there is also federal law on it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Generally You have to be an employee to be eligible for unemployment.
Generally independent contractors are not employees. The analysis of this however varies state by state and is not controlled entirely by whatever your employer labels the relationship.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Devor posted:

It would be pretty unusual in the US to be a regular employee with a contract.

It’s very common for an employee to have an employment contract. You likely signed one when you started your current job, if any.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

An employment contract may or may not be an employment contract in the US for reasons that were discussed at length a few pages back.

Or maybe it was discussed in the Trump thread.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Subjunctive posted:

It’s very common for an employee to have an employment contract. You likely signed one when you started your current job, if any.

That *really* depends on who you are and what your job is and where it is. Most US jobs are at-will with no contract and the employer can fire whenever.

If you're in a high status job that may be different but a majority of people are not in high status jobs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have often seen employment contracts (or things labeled that at least) specifying at-will employment. Are those things not compatible?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Also often employment docs will have other requirements - eg non compete, non solicitation, NDA. Not that they guarantee you employment, just that you agree to stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You have a document called a contract.