Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also I got a phone call from contestant co-ordinator Glenn today and almost had a heart attack but he just wanted to make sure my details were all up-to-date LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I like Ryan mostly because of this hall of fame post from last time he was on which I just remembered a couple hours ago

Goober Peas posted:

Ryan reminds me of the dorky dad from RugRats

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Ryan looks like a skull with human skin glued on and his humblebrag story about always being the smartest person in the room wasn't endearing

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Did Alex go, "No, it's You've Lost That Loving Feeling" and not give the others a chance to answer?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CPColin posted:

Did Alex go, "No, it's You've Lost That Loving Feeling" and not give the others a chance to answer?

yes

I assume it was just something that happened in editing

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

yes

I assume it was just something that happened in editing

Yeah, must've been because they were up against a commercial break, I guess.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

/u/emileautour posted:

I'm a contestant on tomorrow's show, and so was in the audience for the "You Lost That Lovin' Feeling" ruling, and what you saw in the episode was much different than what happened.

Originally Ryan sang his response, which was judged correct, but caused Alex to respond with a "Oh no, now we'll have to pay royalties!" They stopped tape during the break, and we in the audience thought they were checking to see if it was indeed going to be a rights issue. Instead, they came back and said that, instead of singing the correct title, he instead sang "You" instead of "You've". So, they opted to reshoot the sequence, with Ryan saying his wrong answer instead of singing, and being judged incorrect.

If you noticed that the opponents didn't get a chance on the rebound, that's why.

:allears:

I actually hope he keeps the streak going.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like Alex should be able to mark a question incorrect if it annoys him.

He should also award an extra $1000 based on the introduction anecdotes.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

HookShot posted:

Also I got a phone call from contestant co-ordinator Glenn today and almost had a heart attack but he just wanted to make sure my details were all up-to-date LOL.

From what I've heard from other contestants this is usually a good sign 👀

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I was just listening to Ken Jennings' Omnibus podcast and he told a story I didn't know. About halfway through his run, Alex asked during the contestant interviews "So how has the money changed your life so far?" and Ken responded "Well, you guys don't pay out until X months later." At the next break (or between episodes), Alex took a check out of his pocket and wrote a $1 million+ check on the spot. Then they re-recorded the interview so he could answer the question now that he had been paid.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

From what I've heard from other contestants this is usually a good sign 👀
I hope you're right!!

wa27 posted:

I was just listening to Ken Jennings' Omnibus podcast and he told a story I didn't know. About halfway through his run, Alex asked during the contestant interviews "So how has the money changed your life so far?" and Ken responded "Well, you guys don't pay out until X months later." At the next break (or between episodes), Alex took a check out of his pocket and wrote a $1 million+ check on the spot. Then they re-recorded the interview so he could answer the question now that he had been paid.

Haha this rules.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

wa27 posted:

drat, Ken Jennings still finds ways to amuse me even now. Dude is a boss, and Trebek is one two for enabling him to do what he did best.

HookShot posted:

Seriously good luck dude.

Wolf Pussy
Jul 7, 2016

by R. Dieovich

wa27 posted:

Austin Rogers said something like that at his first TOC appearance, Alex looked pissed and told him something approximating that he'd get his check after the show.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Wolf Pussy posted:

Austin Rogers said something like that at his first TOC appearance, Alex looked pissed and told him something approximating that he'd get his check after the show.

I remember that, they gave him his check during the credits or something like that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

Seriously good luck dude.

Thanks! It's seriously surreal that I'm even on the contestant list, and I realize the odds are super low of actually getting on, but I'm still hopeful.

The fact that I'm female is hopefully going to help; at my audition anyway there were like 4 girls and around 30 guys. I don't know if that's standard or not.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I got an email to RSVP for an in person audition!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
somewhat disappointed neither Rugrats Dad nor Adult Wednesday Addams won

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Hannibal Smith posted:

I got an email to RSVP for an in person audition!

Nice one, good luck!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

Adult Wednesday Addams
I thought that but also this

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Famous Jew for $12,000

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Poque posted:

Famous Jew for $12,000
I noticed you haven't changed your username yet

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Vulture Culture posted:

I noticed you haven't changed your username yet

what?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

It does not yet read Famous Jew for $12,000

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
so in the category about literary title character references, the answer they accepted for "The Godfather" was Vito Corleone

but couldn't you say the main character is Michael

makes you think

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Ein cooler Typ posted:

so in the category about literary title character references, the answer they accepted for "The Godfather" was Vito Corleone

makes you think
More frustratingly, they accepted Little Kim Jong Un for Lil' Kim Jong Un

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Ein cooler Typ posted:

makes you think

Title character != Main character. The (Wonderful) Wizard of Oz isn’t the main character in his book either.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't say that. I was just wondering about this specific example

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a couple of my friends appreciated dave's mention during the interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q8tMBUfmM4

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Dave rules, holy poo poo

Poque fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 17, 2022

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Yeah, I don't think we've seen a guy own this hard in the first round of play since Matt Jackson

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So hey, Ghoststalker, do you have any last-minute studying tips by any chance? :D

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

HookShot posted:

So hey, Ghoststalker, do you have any last-minute studying tips by any chance? :D

J-archive works well. Wikipedia bingeing isn't for everyone, but it tends to work for me.

I take it you got the call?

And yeah, Dave is killing it. I'm sad that he'll be going away for a while even if he does win on Friday because of summer tournament reruns starting next week.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

J-archive works well. Wikipedia bingeing isn't for everyone, but it tends to work for me.

I take it you got the call?

And yeah, Dave is killing it. I'm sad that he'll be going away for a while even if he does win on Friday because of summer tournament reruns starting next week.

Cool, thanks! I actually am very good at falling down Wikipedia rabbit holes so it's good to know you actually recommend it.

And yeah, the local affiliate actually called me up and said they were doing a promo for their 60th anniversary of having game shows on and they happened to be in Whistler for something else and asked for the contact info for a Whistler person, and they gave mine, so I went and did it, and then they had me read out a "promo" for the station and when I opened the envelope it was the thing saying I got on. So it was actually pretty cool.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Welp, spoke too soon. RIP Dave Mattingly, likely unable to make the ToC with only 3 wins. Played very well for those 3 games though.

HookShot posted:

Cool, thanks! I actually am very good at falling down Wikipedia rabbit holes so it's good to know you actually recommend it.

And yeah, the local affiliate actually called me up and said they were doing a promo for their 60th anniversary of having game shows on and they happened to be in Whistler for something else and asked for the contact info for a Whistler person, and they gave mine, so I went and did it, and then they had me read out a "promo" for the station and when I opened the envelope it was the thing saying I got on. So it was actually pretty cool.

Congrats! That's a helluva way to let you know you've made the show!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I had to check if Ron won midgame because I hated him so much

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

I had to check if Ron won midgame because I hated him so much

Hahaha no kidding. I haven't cheered that hard against a contestant in so long.

GhostStalker posted:

Welp, spoke too soon. RIP Dave Mattingly, likely unable to make the ToC with only 3 wins. Played very well for those 3 games though.

Congrats! That's a helluva way to let you know you've made the show!

Thanks! Yeah, it was pretty cool :)

And it kind of sucks for Dave, I liked him. He was quietly very dominant in his games.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GhostStalker posted:

Result: Third Place, $1000

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Zesty posted:

Result: Third Place, $1000

Walked right into that. Still, Wikipedia binges are good for finding large amounts of random info.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It’s all in good fun. I appreciate the insights you bring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Congrats HookShot! Good luck - we need a goon champ one of these days.