Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DrSunshine posted:

Will the "India question" be the Imperator: Rome thread's "Collectivism/Individualism" debate for Stellaris?

Depends on what happens with India going further.

If it gets developed to a decent level then no, i don’t think people are like actively against it.

If it doesn’t than maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

uPen posted:

Can we get to the important questions, namely can I form the Byzantine Empire?

This is actually a loss condition in the. 4th &5th century dlc

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

If it gets developed to a decent level then no, i don’t think people are like actively against it.

Putting India into CK2 absolutely tanked late game performance because there's too many Barons of Nowhereville, India running around by 1300.

Given that Imperator appears to have more provinces just in Europe than CK2 does in the whole world map, I think being concerned about the map being too big and causing performance issues is legitimate. Direct Roman/Hellenic interaction with India was not a major driver of conflict in the time period so doing an off-map thing like CK2 did with China may make more sense.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
CK2 also significantly improved its performance in post-India patches, plus Imperator, from what we can tell, isn't quite as character-heavy a game to begin with, so I doubt there'll be as many checks going on every game-day to slow down the game.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't the post 1300 slowdown because every Greek culture character was constantly checking if they could castrate every other character in the game, regardless of whether or not they were alive? I remember the patch notes saying the AI was going to be less castration happy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's a bit of a moot point anyway, since India is already in it!

Anyway, this very good and cool post got buried under Indiachat.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

From a purely flavor perspective, having larger provinces in the more advanced regions makes a lot of sense - even the weakest of lord in those places could still be running a vast territory compared to some German bog-lord, because a more advanced society can impose order farther from the center of power. Since the game uses pops rather than something like EU4 development, it shouldn't be such a huge issue to lump a lot of people into the same province either - whereas proper India/China level populations in the base EU map essentially blows past the design space offered by the base mechanics. India in I:R could have a third as many provinces as Europe, but if those provinces had five-six times as many pops then it ends up balancing perfectly fine - and it might end up being better for gameplay, if the region wasn't really home to such tiny polities to take advantage of tiny provinces.

That said, I don't really hold out much hope for something approaching historical accuracy on this front - Paradox seems pretty content to use province values as levers to balance their games rather than as a base which to built balancing around. Which to be fair, is probably way easier, but it essentially also leaves basic gameplay questions unanswered that end up causing problems anyway - such as the problem of snowballing and the general balance between small and large states.

This is a good possibility, yeah. It'd actually make sense since most of these provinces, it seems, are there solely for the purpose of colonization and migration and not as a distinct polity.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Don Gato posted:

Wasn't the post 1300 slowdown because every Greek culture character was constantly checking if they could castrate every other character in the game, regardless of whether or not they were alive? I remember the patch notes saying the AI was going to be less castration happy.

It was the biggest single source of slowdown, but there have been many more they've optimized over the years.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CK2 runs faster now than it ever did. They've really optimized it in the past year.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Mantis42 posted:

CK2 runs faster now than it ever did. They've really optimized it in the past year.

Yeah it owns. performance updates are the best thing

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I still get a lot of slowdown though.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Jeez I look away from the thread for a second :psyduck:

Flavius Aetass posted:

why can't the dates go into the modern day and have all the tech into the internet age
:goonsay:

Because end game crisis would be your pops doing literally nothing but taking on the job of "arguing with someone on the internet".
And I find it is a bit too politically loaded to accurately represent human society like that right now.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I want a proper Paradox take on Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fuligin posted:

Yeah it owns. performance updates are the best thing

Reapers Due was secretly a performance patch, It gave Paradox the ability to massacre all the worthless NPC's every few decades to keep up performance.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Reapers Due was secretly a performance patch, It gave Paradox the ability to massacre all the worthless NPC's every few decades to keep up performance.

And also all of your genius heirs

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
The cost of having a fast game

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Groogy posted:

Because end game crisis would be your pops doing literally nothing but taking on the job of "arguing with someone on the internet".

That's not doing nothing, they will lower literacy and raise militancy

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The performance of India in CK2 was just a side effect. The real issue is nothing really spills over the karakorum in either direction without player prodding. So it's just an appendix of a dharmic thunder dome that's there just in case someone wants to play a Timur.

Being there from the ground up means there's a better chance to integration but the pessimist in me is still worried it's going to be an appendix just in case a player wants to be Alexander part two.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

zedprime posted:

just in case a player wants to be Alexander part two.

Yes, I do.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

zedprime posted:

The performance of India in CK2 was just a side effect. The real issue is nothing really spills over the karakorum in either direction without player prodding. So it's just an appendix of a dharmic thunder dome that's there just in case someone wants to play a Timur.

Being there from the ground up means there's a better chance to integration but the pessimist in me is still worried it's going to be an appendix just in case a player wants to be Alexander part two.

Yea, I don't really see any reason to not just end the map at the Indus - trade networks maybe, but I'm not sure if thats worth simulating all of india for.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The Seleucids literally had a giant war with the Mauryans—who go far beyond the Indus—just a couple of years off the game’s start date. If the game were solely about Rome then I can kinda of see the argument, but as we have established, it’s not. I mean hell, the Mauryans are probably straight up the most noteworthy power in this period; why shouldn’t they be in the game?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Koramei posted:

The Seleucids literally had a giant war with the Mauryans—who go far beyond the Indus—just a couple of years off the game’s start date. If the game were solely about Rome then I can kinda of see the argument, but as we have established, it’s not. I mean hell, the Mauryans are probably straight up the most noteworthy power in this period; why shouldn’t they be in the game?

Fair enough, I guess - I'm just not that well read on the history of the Seleucids.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Koramei posted:

Yea, and a Parthian player would definitely benefit from having more poo poo to do in the east while they let Rome get huge.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

looking forward to the late game clash between the great empires

Carthage, the odyrssian kingdom, Kush, and the bactrians

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Yea, and a Parthian player would definitely benefit from having more poo poo to do in the east while they let Rome get huge.

Bactria too and I’m gonna guess it will be one of the more popular factions in that area.

At least judging from the total war series

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mantis42 posted:

Now put that team on Stellaris, please.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Drone posted:

I want a proper Paradox take on Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Honestly, I think the Spring and Autumn and/or Warring States periods might make for a better game.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Pakled posted:

Honestly, I think the Spring and Autumn and/or Warring States periods might make for a better game.

I think it depends on which style of game you're going for. If you're playing as a country like in EU, yeah those periods would be better.

But I would kill for a CK style, character-driven Three Kingdoms game. Imagine assassinating Guan Yu with a pile of horse dung. Plus the Total War game will probably help sales by piquing consumer interest.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fintilgin posted:

I am hoping the tegulacide (shut up Astroclassicist) is going to speed things up a fair bit

If the AI doesn't have to think about whether it's got the right pops on the right tiles that's got to free up a lot of CPU time and improve scalability, right?

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
However it's done, I'd definitely try a China-focused game.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

As soon as Wiz is finished remaking the game then maybe they can swap.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder how the silk road would work from the other end. Most of what I've seen of Chinese history really downplays the value of external trade.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Chinese historians tend to downplay everything external. I don't know the actual value of the silk road (although it was clearly enough for serious resources to have been invested in it for more than a thousand years), but for an example, the non-indigenously made grave items that have been recovered from Korean royal tombs from most of the first millennium are nearly entirely Western; things like Roman glassware and Persian jewelry. Since items that get buried with royalty tend to be the most valuable stuff there is, the fact they mostly used Western goods rather than Chinese ones makes it pretty clear they were valued very highly.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Jesus loving christ. It took me a decade but I found the worst SA poster ever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Jesus loving christ. It took me a decade but I found the worst SA poster ever.

I um am not sure what problem you have with that post? Unless you want slap fights or something.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Someone on Reddit analyzed Vicky 2's economy and discovered that sphere markets don't work the way we think they work and resources are getting duped a lot in the process

quote:

I've been working on an application to analyze Victoria 2 save games to give a better view of the economy and hopefully solve some mysteries about how parts of it work. While working on this I found many things about the amount produced and amount sold didn't add up. After analyzing several save games, as well as comparing values in a running game, I have reached the conclusion that every explanation I've heard about how sphere markets work is wrong.

One common explanation is that countries and pops first buy from their country market, then from the sphere market, then from the world. Any leftover from the country market is sold on the sphere market and any left over there is sold on the world market. This is wrong.

Another explanation is that when you are in a sphere you don't have a national market and are instead buying and selling from the sphere market and then the world market. This is closer to the truth but also wrong.

In actuality sphere markets work like this: First, each country calculates their sphere pool by contributing 100% of their production and a % of production from all other sphere members, sphere leaders always contribute 100%, secondary powers and civilized nations contribute 50% and 75% respectively plus a modifier that I haven't sourced yet, uncivilized are unknown but are probably 100%. Next, each country then buys from their individual sphere pool with their producers receiving income based on the amount sold and percentage of the sphere pool they produced (eg if your country produces 90 out of 100 available on the sphere market and 50 get sold to your country then your producers will be paid for selling 45 of that good).

The first important part of this explanation is the individual sphere pool part. Each sphere member buys from their own separate pool which is sized based on the production of all sphere members. This allows goods to be bought more than once in a sphere and can even result in total sold worldwide exceeding total produced. For example, suppose you are a sphere leader and have 3 sphere members, 2 are uncivilized and 1 is a secondary power. Now suppose that you and each sphere member produce 10 of some good, this will result in 35 of that good being available for you (the sphere leader) and each of the uncivilized countries while the secondary power has 40 available. This means there is 145 available (35 + 35 + 35 + 40) out of 40 total produced. In other words sphere markets are matter replicators.

The other important part of this explanation is that the producers in your country only get paid based on how much is sold in your country's sphere market (plus any sold on the world market). Your producers don't get paid for anything sold in the sphere markets of other sphere members. Currently I can't say with certainty where the money spent on goods produced by other sphere members goes but I think it's likely that it disappears into the ether. This could be an explanation of the late game liquidity crisis.

I believe this explains why sphering China causes the economy to crash: by sphering China the output of China's producers is replicated and sold multiple times while simultaneously only paying those producers for the amount sold in China. To see how this has a negative impact suppose you produce 100 of some good and buy 200 of it (100 from your country and 100 from the world market). You then sphere China who produces 300 of that good and also buys 200 of it. There is now 400 of this good available to both you and China and 200 is sold in both your country and China. Out of this 400 total sold your producers get paid for 50 and China's producers get paid for 150 and the money for the remaining 200 disappears. In addition some/all of the 400 remaining (200 remaining in China and 200 remaining in your country) gets put on the world market further saturating the market. This makes everyone producing this good worse off.

TL;DR Sphere markets allow goods to be sold multiple times, in some cases resulting in total sold exceeding total produced. The producers in your country don't get paid for goods sold in the sphere market of other sphere members. This explains why sphering China breaks the economy.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

so never sphere anybody that produces the same goods your country does in any appreciable volume, is what i'm getting out of this

also that being sphered is much more advantageous than being the sphere leader :stare:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hopefully they'll get that all patched up for Vicky 3!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The comments, however, are full of people presenting contradictory evidence so in conclusion Victoria II's economy is a sapient malevolent force that actively obfuscates how it works by presenting different data to different humans so we don't figure out it's actually a distributed genocidal AI until it's too late.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

haven't been following Imperator that much, but it's not really getting me very interested so far. not really sure what the hook of the game is, like CK2 has it's characters and intrigue, EU4 has colonization and nation development and Vic 2 has modernisation and global trade. Imperator kind of has all of these things but nothing seems to be really sticking out to me so far. anyone else got the same thoughts? it is pretty early in development so maybe the meatier stuff is coming later on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Just think of Imperator as a development of the EU games in a different setting; that's what it actually is, they just didn't want to brand it as EU: Rome 2 for marketing reasons.

The biggest draw to me at the moment is the map scale, it's totally different from anything Paradox has produced before and it has a lot of potential for changing up what would otherwise be the same old gameplay. Look at the maps people have posted with all those weirdly shaped wasteland provinces.

Also just the concept of "EU4 but with a different tech system" is quite a strong draw to me. I actually really like monarch points as a concept but I don't think that having tech tied to them is a good idea so I'm interested to see what the alternative is going to be like.