Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
What's the best lima adjacent bean if I want that supple meaty texture but with preferably more of a nutty flavor? I want to eat nothing but bean soups right now and I don't know why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Thanks a lot rear end in a top hat

Now I just bought 105 bucks worth of beans.
Holy gently caress man, I just placed an order for four different selections and it wasn't even $40.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What's the best lima adjacent bean if I want that supple meaty texture but with preferably more of a nutty flavor? I want to eat nothing but bean soups right now and I don't know why

Christmas Limas are great if you want "lima, but slightly more," but I'd go with Scarlet Runners. They loving rule and are so pretty - they've got a chestnutty flavor. gently caress I love beans.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Whalley posted:

Holy gently caress man, I just placed an order for four different selections and it wasn't even $40.

Christmas Limas are great if you want "lima, but slightly more," but I'd go with Scarlet Runners. They loving rule and are so pretty - they've got a chestnutty flavor. gently caress I love beans.

Those sound great, I'll pick up some scarlet runners. Thanks!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Whalley posted:

Yeah I bought 3 lbs each of 6 different kinds. Figured one big order was better.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah I bought 3 lbs each of 6 different kinds. Figured one big order was better.

Don’t they deteriorate with age? How quickly will you get through them?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

therattle posted:

How quickly will they get through you?

ftfy

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

:golfclap:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

therattle posted:

Don’t they deteriorate with age? How quickly will you get through them?

Pretty quickly. But really dried bean last drat near forever.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Friendly reminder since it loving came up again with a family friend; do not consume products containing “apricot kernels” or seeds, or stones, or “apricot oil”, or “amygdalin”, or “Vitamin B17”. It has no health or longevity or anti-cancer or beauty benefits. It does not add a unique, nutty aroma, it is not the only way to get all-natural amaretto cookie clusters, it is not the same thing as an amaretto liqueur(they process it out) and it is not one weird trick your doctor/Big Pharma doesn’t want you to know.

It metabolizes into cyanide.

That is all. Thanks for your attention.

Edit: Christ why do I keep running into this poo poo, does my avatar loving look like Hercule Poirot? Don’t answer that.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 22, 2018

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

This really loving sucks. Johnathan Gold, one of the world's great restaurant critics, is dead at 57.

Gold's quote about Vegas icon Lotus of Siam, "Best Thai restaurant in North America," is the one I use whenever I introduce anyone to it. He had an incredibly positive impact on LA's food culture. He was a hell of a guy - who I never got go meet personally, though I have several friends who were strongly influenced by him.

gently caress cancer. Goddamn.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

bartolimu posted:

This really loving sucks. Johnathan Gold, one of the world's great restaurant critics, is dead at 57.

Gold's quote about Vegas icon Lotus of Siam, "Best Thai restaurant in North America," is the one I use whenever I introduce anyone to it. He had an incredibly positive impact on LA's food culture. He was a hell of a guy - who I never got go meet personally, though I have several friends who were strongly influenced by him.

Aw, damnit :smith:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Friendly reminder since it loving came up again with a family friend; do not consume products containing “apricot kernels” or seeds, or stones, or “apricot oil”, or “amygdalin”, or “Vitamin B17”. It has no health or longevity or anti-cancer or beauty benefits. It does not add a unique, nutty aroma, it is not the only way to get all-natural amaretto cookie clusters, it is not the same thing as an amaretto liqueur(they process it out) and it is not one weird trick your doctor/Big Pharma doesn’t want you to know.

It metabolizes into cyanide.

That is all. Thanks for your attention.

Edit: Christ why do I keep running into this poo poo, does my avatar loving look like Hercule Poirot? Don’t answer that.

There are cultivars of apricots which produce edible seeds (by breeding out most of the amydalin content) but yeah stay the gently caress away from the rest of that nonsense. Also apricot oil is a pretty normal essential oil, the amygdalin remains with the solids. Any claims of curing cancer or other health benefits remain horseshit.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 22, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

bartolimu posted:

the city won't be the same

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
He was the only part of KCRWs Good Food that I looked forward too. :(

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if people haven't watched "city of gold" i highly recommend it. more than a love letter to food and food writing, it's a love letter to the city of la

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My hangovers are getting worse and worse, to the extent that a glass of wine with dinner gives me a headache the next day. I am trying various cures to see what helps, and there are a couple of very promising avenues. One thing I haven’t tried is a prairie oyster, which I kind of just want to try anyway, regardless of efficacy.

One thing I want to know is this: in principle, is there any reason I couldn’t make it the night before and have it waiting in the fridge when I get up?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I will mix up tomato juice (or clamato in my case), worcestershire, hot sauce and horseradish in a shot glass the night I drink like a champion. I toss that over two raw eggs cracked in a pint glass in the morning. Adding the mix to the raw egg and letting it set overnight will just make that even less appealing in the worst way, but mixing up everything but the egg makes it DTs proof.

I don't know if it cures a hangover, but it keeps me from shaking too much before I can function.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 22, 2018

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scientastic posted:

My hangovers are getting worse and worse, to the extent that a glass of wine with dinner gives me a headache the next day. I am trying various cures to see what helps,

drink more

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Scientastic posted:

My hangovers are getting worse and worse, to the extent that a glass of wine with dinner gives me a headache the next day. I am trying various cures to see what helps, and there are a couple of very promising avenues. One thing I haven’t tried is a prairie oyster, which I kind of just want to try anyway, regardless of efficacy.

One thing I want to know is this: in principle, is there any reason I couldn’t make it the night before and have it waiting in the fridge when I get up?

Prarie oysters work for me. Also, I don't think it's possible to get a hangover off a glass of wine, you might be having bigger general hydration issues.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I feel like most hangovers are just that, at least for me.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Scientastic posted:

Please also get checked out by a doctor. Hangovers after a single glass of wine could actually be referred symptoms from a variety of serious physical problems. I know health care is expensive but getting some blood work now is almost certainly cheaper than finding out about liver/kidney disease or metabolic disorders in two years.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Today in Kickstarter "hunks of plastic for idiots", a salt....gun(?) for people who can't figure out how to sprinkle with their fingers:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1902375669/tastestick-the-worlds-finest-salt-dispenser/description

Or poo poo, it's a salt grinder that doesn't grind salt.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Six seconds in "With salt shakers, salt mills and our fingers, we have no actual control over the salt". Maybe this is marketed towards toddlers?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

That looks like if the aggro crag was recycled into teledildonics.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

GrAviTy84 posted:

That looks like if the aggro crag was recycled into teledildonics.

How dare you equate the radical rock with this nonsense. :mad:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
The guy in the video and promo stills is making what is approximately the worst Caprese salad I've ever seen. I think he needs a dispenser for basil too.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Also: I got yer taste stick right here.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Late to the bean chat but I also just hopped on the dry beans train and was not disappointed.

Made some black bean quesadillas with beans, peppers, onion, and guac. Made way too many beans but it was a learning experience. Now that I look back the recipe was specifically about freezing and saving a ton but I was trying to soak them before I had to catch the morning train.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sideways step in bean chat - I planted Kentucky Blue Pole Beans in my garden this year. They're the best string beans I've ever had in my life. They're still tender and sweet even when they're like 8" long, and each plant seems to just poo poo out an infinite number of delicious beans. I just ate a platefull of them which I blanched and then sauteed with garden onions and dill.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Wait a minute, they're saying it features hygienic storage for salt where shakers and cellars don't.

I think this might be a scam y'all.

Hmmmmmm :thunk:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Adventures in Vegas Dining.

One of the more expensive restaurants in Chinatown is Sparrow + Wolf, which I think I've recommended here once or twice. It's a prime example of the last ten years of restaurant growth in Vegas - a bright young chef gains experience on the Strip, then leaves to find a place off-Strip and do his (or her) own thing. In this case, it's Brian Howard (formerly of Comme Ca), doing new American with accents from all over the globe - in a Chinatown mall parking lot next to a (quite good) Korean BBQ.

While the decor is a little more industrial-feeling than I prefer for restaurant interiors, Chef Howard's menu has always been broadly welcoming and inclusive. They have tons of veg* options alongside omnivore mainstays like beef marrow bones, braised short rib, etc. - everyone can find something to eat, and it's always delicious. Their cocktail program is nutzo-good too, but that's not the subject of this particular essay.

Last week, despite its inclusive menu, Sparrow + Wolf was singled out by a local vegan group for protest. The group was offended that S+W serves meat. They were offended that S+W has the temerity to serve offal, instead of just sticking to the less-icky bits of the animal. (Underpants Gnome Theory of Animal Use, Step 1: If they use fewer parts, they'll kill fewer animals. Step 2: ?????) They were offended that S+W serves foie gras. They were near-mortally offended at a few photos on S+W's facebook page, including this one of Chef Howard preparing to make head cheese:

"A serial killer and his victim," posted one militant vegan, somehow able to weakly flagellate his anemic fingers at the keyboard long enough to string together a sentence.

And so the vegan group picketed Sparrow + Wolf on Thursday. They announced their plan on social media. They contacted the news media, both food bloggers and TV news. They contacted LVPD to ensure their safety, should any rabid omnivores be so confused by their herd-like milling about as to predatorily attack. They waited until dark to start picketing because it's eleventy-billion degrees outside, and they left well before the restaurant closed because you know Mom likes you to be home by ten on weekdays, otherwise she worries and when she worries sometimes she forgets to pick up that artisan honey-flavored agave syrup you like so much when she goes grocery shopping.

Once their two-hour window of protest was spent, they announced plans to once again picket - this time during DAYLIGHT hours! - on Sunday night.

Chef Howard, wanting to extend an olive branch and encourage dialog (and perhaps to prompt one of the hardier vegans to open hir rheumy eyes and actually see what the restaurant cooks), created a special menu. It was, appropriately, all stuff they would (under normal circumstances) eat.

Sparrow + Wolf, on Facebook posted:

in honor of our protesters we will be offering a special vegan menu tomorrow evening at Sparrow + Wolf. Since we have opened we have always focused on having a menu that is responsibly sourced and a good portion vegetable driven to ensure everyone feels welcome in our home. we invite all of our friends to join us as we have more fun with vegetables.

To our Protesters we welcome and respect and embrace your choices, as everyone has a choice. we appreciate the message you share and believe in, but that is not our choice. We choose to be a house for everyone. The threats and disruption of business support a much worse cause. There are better ways to educate and spread your word

(shout out to the grilled corn dish that is decidedly NOT expensived-up elotes, btw)

The response was...not what you'd expect. Unless you're acquainted with militant vegans, I suppose.

Chef Howard, his family (including several members who live out of state), and some of his employees received abusive text messages and phone calls. Chef Howard in particular received at least eight death threats. An army of about five social media-savvy vegans descended on Yelp and Facebook, generating a legion of (okay, eleven) ONE STAR REVIEWS in an effort to destroy the restaurant's credibility.

And, well, word got around.

I have a lot of friends in the culinary world, and word got around on Saturday that vegans were literally threatening to kill a man for cooking animals. And that poo poo ain't right. So I did what I always do when faced with that kind of catastrophically idiotic behavior. I made a reservation for Sunday night. 6:45, bar seat. One of my friends made a 7:00 res, and a couple of others said they'd try to drop by for drinks after a while. People want to threaten one of the best chefs in town? The only response is to show up and Eat. That. Food.

Industry folks - especially those in tourism-driven towns - know Sunday nights are the graveyard shift of the restaurant biz. You're lucky if you get a full station ever. Some of your customers will be hungover and surly. It's never a good night, and you're never busy. Except maybe late night, when other places are closed, if you work at the kind of restaurant other chefs go to after work.

So when I pulled up to Sparrow + Wolf at 6:40 on a Sunday night, past a line of ten or so protesters and an equal number of counter-protesters (some carrying signs like "My Body My Choice," "Your Mom Loves My Meat," etc.), and a very bemused-looking quartet of LVPD's finest, it was a surprise to find the parking lot full, and the restaurant's small waiting area filled nearly to capacity. The bar was standing room only, with many Vegas food scene luminaries hanging out, talking, and drinking. I saw Bryant, the owner of Starboard Tack; a couple of bartenders from Atomic Liquors; Al Mancini, one of the last remaining decent food writers in town; and several other chefy types all merrily drinking and chatting.

"I'm sorry," said the host, "but there's going to be a slight delay in seating you. Would you like a table? I can probably seat you immediately at a table."

Oh, no, that's fine. I'll wait for bar space. I'm just going to wander in and say hi to a couple of people, let me know when something opens up.

Poor guy seemed genuinely upset he couldn't find a spot for me right away. I was thrilled. This is what community support looks like.

My friend with the 7:00 reservation arrived, and in the end he seated us together at the bar around 7:15. Not a bad wait for what had become the hottest ticket in town overnight. And the wait was definitely worth it.

Over the next two and a half hours, we - my 7:00 friend, plus two others who came from a drink and joined us for a meal, plus half of the people sitting at the bar who joined and left at various points - enjoyed one of the most engaging and wonderful meals I've ever had. We ordered dishes, passed them around, fed each other from forks and spoons and knives. We ordered the beet tartare and the beef heart tartare, and both were delicious. We had the kombu braised carrots, which may have been the best carrots I've ever eaten. We had the hamachi charpaccio, with charred grapes and fennel pollen and supremes of orange and a surprisingly heavy sprinkle of powdered Sichuan peppercorn that left our mouths tingly and slightly numb. We got the bone marrow with whole-leaf parsley and homemade bread. We got the beef cheek and marrow dumplings, and after the dumplings were gone (it took all of five seconds; some of them may have broken the sound barrier as we scarfed them down), we ordered a shot of bourbon, stirred it into the marrow and fat and sauce left on the plate, and poured it down the beef bone into each others' mouths. We ate the goddamn foie gras, and the scallops, and a half dozen other things that sounded good. We drank their cocktail menu, one at a time, everyone getting at least a sip of each. We were a spectacle.

We were a community.

And unlike that other community, that other spectacle - the one outside, waving signs and threatening lives and going home by ten - we were happy. I, in particular, was happy because of them. I hadn't planned to go out on Sunday. But I did, because a member of the community was threatened. And it was a pretty great night. So thanks, violently militant vegans. You did some good with that protest.

Get your asses to Sparrow + Wolf, people. It's a drat good place.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Good job, Bart. I flew up to Reno on Sunday so had to miss that, but I've enjoyed a couple of meals at S&P now, loving both of them. Though Friday night I admit that I had my foie gras on a roll at Bachi Burger since it's closer to my house.

I'm lucky that my office is really close to those couple of blocks of Spring Mountain, though - amazing things are happening in that neighborhood and it makes me very happy.

Maybe if Bandito had located in Chinatown they'd be worth a poo poo idk.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Does anyone know any good yakisoba recipes? Going to store buy the noodles.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Wiggles it’s always so funny reading your posts now remembering how you used to be a fairly militant vegetarian 10 (?) years ago? Wow.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

iospace posted:

Does anyone know any good yakisoba recipes? Going to store buy the noodles.

i like this one: https://www.justonecookbook.com/yakisoba/

as noted in the recipe yakisoba is pretty straight forward in terms of ingredients, proper wok technique is probably the more important part

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Jay Carney posted:

Wiggles it’s always so funny reading your posts now remembering how you used to be a fairly militant vegetarian 10 (?) years ago? Wow.

I got better.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I got better.

I’m still not sure about foie gras. Eat meat, sure, but do try and minimise the cruelty. I totally agree with Bart about eating as much of the animal as possible (at least in theory...). I am not vegetarian but I do think it’s a more ethical path.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I got better.

So I was right all this time. I seemed to remember you being full of great vegetarian recipe ideas in I wanna say ICSA threads and was wondering whether I had you confused with someone else. Did you have a black and white pic of a rastafarian dude as your Avatar back then?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sure did - it was max romeo. Now whoever is running wigbot 2.0 has it.

And I actually still eat vegetarian about half the time, and I don't waste my effort on lovely meat. If anything, my time as a vegetarian taught me to truly care about quality.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Found a 10lb box of beans on my doorstep when I headed out to work tonight. :v:

Gonna cook some up tonight, thinking the autumn lentil mix as a side for dinner.