Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm really not being too hard on myself. The dog bolted in front of me on a fast, dark road, and I reacted as quickly as possible and did everything I could to help. The owners chose to not have their dog on a leash on a night where fireworks are going off everywhere while living on said dark and fast road. I fully understand that accidents happen and it's not my fault, but I still hit a fuckin dog, ya know? I don't feel terrible about it because I feel like I'm a lovely person, or that I handled the situation poorly, I feel terrible because I hit someone's pet, if that makes sense.

This is a time where I really appreciate the SA forums, that I can vent this kind of lovely experience in full detail with anonyminty. The kind of thing I would never post on Facebook. It was thereputic just to post, and even more so the couple of supportive responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
First migraine I’ve had in awhile and it’s a doozy. I also have to go to PT and then to work and I just want to crawl under the covers and die.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I missed my train and now have to sit in the station for two hours for the next one. Everything around here is closed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I broke today. It's been years. Years and years and years since I let any of my old personal relationships blend with my family. But today one of my oldest and closest friends finally succeeded in killing himself (4th times a charm).

I was at a family party and everything about everything just smashed into me. I've lost all my grandparents, two cousins, two friends, and an aunt so far this year. But the text I got from my buddy today saying Jay is gone was just finally too much. I haven't cried in front of my family since I was kid (or in general), but this did it.

I hate him for this. I really do. I'm having a hard time with this one. A real hard time. I knew it was coming, but it's still bad. The worst part was I joked about him killing himself for months. I could've been been something. Not a better friend, but something.

I've lost a lot of friends for a lot of reasons, but this one is just too deep. I thought I braced myself for it, but I didn't. This is a hard night.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm sorry you're going through this. I really and truly am :(

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I hate my job. I got chastised for doing something extremely right that; if I hadn’t done, would have caused a ton of problems.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Job-hating buddies. :(:hf::(

Had to go to the doctor because my job is giving me carpal tunnel syndrome and the supervisors have been refusing to move me to a position in the line that I'm just as qualified and trained to do, but would be less stress on my wrists. Looking for a new job, but who knows how long that's going to take.

Also, still haven't heard back from the flight academy I applied to and it's driving me crazy. Dreaming of being in the sky is the only thing keeping me going at work right now.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

poo poo broke yesterday at work to the point that I ended up with a 14 hour shift, I'm back today and somehow even MORE poo poo is broken. :wtc:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
A dude was being terrible on a local Facebook group, so I reported him. But apparently according to Facebook support "We don't want no fags and no trannies in our town!" isn't hate speech so, you know... Whatever.

gently caress :smith:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Mikl posted:

A dude was being terrible on a local Facebook group, so I reported him. But apparently according to Facebook support "We don't want no fags and no trannies in our town!" isn't hate speech so, you know... Whatever.

gently caress :smith:

Yeah, they're as bad as Twitter. I got reported for saying "White men are terrified of change" and the post got removed for hate speech.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A self fulfilling prophecy

Trivial Fursuit
Dec 18, 2009
They're renovating two of the stops on the subway line I use to get into town and back, so my normal 15-20 minute commute with no train swaps has turned into 30 minutes at least with two swaps, which while not optimal, is at least liveable.

Until tonight.

For some reason, they've changed it so that the last two trains I can take to get home no longer match up with the trains I can take to the station I need to go from. Tonight, I closed up in record time and made it to a train I normally never manage to catch, and still ended up having to walk a stop and waiting almost half an hour for my train.

gently caress you, SL. I can't believe I'm still paying out of the rear end for this bullshit.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Nothing at work loving works still and I'm doing another 19 hour shift, loving yay.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The home button on my Galaxy S7 Edge was acting up. Today I confirmed it's because the case is deformed, likely due to a bulging battery. Goddammit. I really like this phone, it sounds like the battery is a huge pain to replace (or get replaced), and I'm not eligible for an upgrade till November. I've never had a phone punk out on me like this before. :(

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not just about today, but the last few days have been utter rear end for me, and its all centered around one event based on today, so I figure it's kosher:

- I noticed a while back that a podcast I enjoy is doing a live show nearby. Taking advantage of the distance between the event and the date (today), I buy early tickets and parking.

- Between getting my ticket and the time approaching today, I get the previously-mentioned lovely low-paying job to make extra scratch job. As early as I can, I write a note for the schedule-maker at the job saying that I cannot work today (Friday).

- I get the notice from the schedule-manager at the job that, sorry, everyone wants a Friday night off, and you're the new guy, so you'll have to take it.

- Rather than being a jackass and telling them at the "I am not available on friday" part of my note wasn't a suggestion and just calling off, I decide to meet the person halfway, suggesting that I can still work the morning on Friday. I mean, come on, they can't schedule me for late-night on Saturday, right, if they know I'm working early-morning friday, right?

- Learning that I am still somewhat closer to the turnip truck than the road, they schedule my rear end for a late-night Saturday shift, straight into a morning shift on Friday.

- I dutifully work on Friday morning, and I am horrible all day at both jobs because my circadian rhythm is tuned to being able to sleep in somewhat (my first job doesn't have me start crazy early), leading to a whole lot of zombiness because I'm in a fog all drat day. I don't even do coffee or energy drinks, because I don't want the inevitable crash to happen as I'm driving to the podcast. I mean, I do half of one at the end of my shift, but that's it.

- I drive, still zombie-like, to the live podcast parking I had bought, long ago. For reasons unknown and frankly bafflingly, Google Maps decided to have me walk to a 30-miles-away-on-foot location of a similar name, instead of the literally-next-door location. You'd think it'd remember that I had Theater X searched for, at some point, or tell me about the literally-less-than-a-thousand-paces-away place of the same name, but nope.

- My Parkwhiz code at the parking lot fails me, inexplicably. I have to buy parking from the building, which is about as expensive (still kinda cheap, but still) as the Parkwhiz cost).

- I realize that I'm on the way to the wrong location, so I load Lyft to quickly get me to the right one. My first driver basically drives right past me, and I have to eat a fine for canceling it (it was eventually recinded) because the guy hosed off instead of actually stopping for me.

- My second driver gets me there, surprisingly on time for the show... and it turns out I think I've kinda either outgrown or got kinda bored of the podcast in the first place. Wasn't bad or anything, just wasn't as entertaining as I wished.

So yeah, today sucked. A lot of self-inflicted poo poo, but goddammit today sucked.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Saturday happens before Friday where you live????? how the gently caress can a late Saturday night run into an early Friday morning??

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

InediblePenguin posted:

Saturday happens before Friday where you live????? how the gently caress can a late Saturday night run into an early Friday morning??

You think a night-to-morning shift is hard, imagine your scheduler is a reality warper and it's a day-to-previous-day shift.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

MisterBibs posted:

You think a night-to-morning shift is hard, imagine your scheduler is a reality warper and it's a day-to-previous-day shift.

Sounds like standard management.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
My day was alright, but at work there was a rush of activity right before my shift was about to end. I even told the boss, "my shift is about to end not sure this is gonna be done before that". Well, it wasn't, and I left. The next time plan your poo poo better or tell me you gonna pay for overtime when I tell you that.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I saw a dog get hit by a train while waiting for my train to work. He landed near the crossing and there was nothing I could do. He was barely breathing when I ran over to him and he died a couple minutes later. He was wearing a collar.

I should have done more before it got to that point. Grabbed him and take him to the cafe nearby with a little dog pen. Spooked him away from the tracks, SOMETHING. There's a pet dead and it's my fault.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Intoluene posted:

I saw a dog get hit by a train while waiting for my train to work. He landed near the crossing and there was nothing I could do. He was barely breathing when I ran over to him and he died a couple minutes later. He was wearing a collar.

I should have done more before it got to that point. Grabbed him and take him to the cafe nearby with a little dog pen. Spooked him away from the tracks, SOMETHING. There's a pet dead and it's my fault.

He got hit by a train. I know it's going to be traumatizing for a while but he was only alive because of adrenaline for a little, there's literally nothing you could have done to save him. I hope that sinks in after awhile because seriously, at least you were company to him. It's the best thing you could do, and it probably calmed him a little

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Aesop Poprock posted:

He got hit by a train. I know it's going to be traumatizing for a while but he was only alive because of adrenaline for a little, there's literally nothing you could have done to save him. I hope that sinks in after awhile because seriously, at least you were company to him. It's the best thing you could do, and it probably calmed him a little

I meant beforehand when he was wandering around the crossing before going further down the track but that's still not really my fault and I know it. Pretty sure shock knocked it out so at least it wasn't in pain.

I broke down a couple times but at least it wasn't while on the phone because we were busy as gently caress.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

This wasn't today, but my day was super lovely on Saturday when my pup got bitten by a rattlesnake.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Update from work: poo poo partially works, but not enough to matter. A fix may happen tomorrow and I was told the following: if it doesn't work than it's business as usual atm, if it does you get to work a 6th and maybe 7th day to catch up on jobs.

gently caress.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I left work early so I could sleep because I suddenly came on with a raging flu that kept me up all night. Only now I haven't slept all afternoon either. I'm so fuckin tired and sick.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I got pooped on by a patient today. Just watch it turn out he has CDiff or somefuckingthing like that.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Oh my loving god. One of the other managers hosed up massively and the area manager hates me for some reason so I guess he assumed I do the same poo poo so he shows up at 9:30 (we close at 10) and we’re doing closing procedures a bit early like EVERY OTHER STORE IN THIS COMPANY INCLUDING THE AREA MANAGERS BEST FRIEND so he proceeds to throw poo poo around and prevent us from doing anything until 10pm. I tried to hold it in but I was so pissed I went up to him and told him that EVERYONE does this and he is just silent like he always does to me when I say anything to him cause he hates me. He spent the whole night texting, talking down to a good employee (who, when rear end in a top hat left, said she’s putting in her 2 weeks notice tomorrow), then left right at 10 without even bothering to help us clean. The staff usually get out at 10:20/10:30 and I get out at 11:00 cause I’m the manager and I have lots of paperwork to do, but today the poor staff got out at 11:30! And the girl who’s gonna quit lives 2 hours away in a lovely neighborhood. I took a loving uber home and my cats were STARVING. Also I just left most of the paperwork on the desk and I’m just gonna say “oops I forgot” cause guck if I’m gonna stay till 12:30 and even if I did stay they would just edit my hours for like, “didn’t work fast enough” or some poo poo. Also, this rear end in a top hat doesn’t believe that I have health issues and refused to look at my medical papers when I offered them because ??? But I swear to Cat God that if they fire me or even cut my hours cause of my heath issues (I recently missed a bunch of days cause I had GODDAMN SEIZURES) I’m going to a loving lawyer.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I thought my cold was going to stay a cold, I was even feeling better yesterday. I did, however, only get 2 or 3 hours of sleep then did a busy 8 hour shift yesterday. I went to bed early last night, lots of sleep, but the stress of yesterday did its damage. I woke up with another lung infection this morning and it hurts so much to breathe. I left work after 4 hours today. This always happens, and these lung infections often last for 2 months.

In less than a month I'm due to have surgery on my throat. If I'm sick I can't get it done. This loving sucks.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thin Privilege posted:

Oh my loving god. One of the other managers hosed up massively and the area manager hates me for some reason so I guess he assumed I do the same poo poo so he shows up at 9:30 (we close at 10) and we’re doing closing procedures a bit early like EVERY OTHER STORE IN THIS COMPANY INCLUDING THE AREA MANAGERS BEST FRIEND so he proceeds to throw poo poo around and prevent us from doing anything until 10pm. I tried to hold it in but I was so pissed I went up to him and told him that EVERYONE does this and he is just silent like he always does to me when I say anything to him cause he hates me. He spent the whole night texting, talking down to a good employee (who, when rear end in a top hat left, said she’s putting in her 2 weeks notice tomorrow), then left right at 10 without even bothering to help us clean. The staff usually get out at 10:20/10:30 and I get out at 11:00 cause I’m the manager and I have lots of paperwork to do, but today the poor staff got out at 11:30! And the girl who’s gonna quit lives 2 hours away in a lovely neighborhood. I took a loving uber home and my cats were STARVING. Also I just left most of the paperwork on the desk and I’m just gonna say “oops I forgot” cause guck if I’m gonna stay till 12:30 and even if I did stay they would just edit my hours for like, “didn’t work fast enough” or some poo poo. Also, this rear end in a top hat doesn’t believe that I have health issues and refused to look at my medical papers when I offered them because ??? But I swear to Cat God that if they fire me or even cut my hours cause of my heath issues (I recently missed a bunch of days cause I had GODDAMN SEIZURES) I’m going to a loving lawyer.

Get out of retail by any means possible

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Aesop Poprock posted:

Get out of retail by any means possible

It’s not really retail but close. It’s preventing me from sleeping so at this rate I’m gonna get there by like 5:30. I went to bed late so I was planning on getting there at 7. I’ll get everything done on time unlike usual where I don’t (minor things that really don’t need to be done, I get all the important stuff done, and I wasn’t trained by corporate so I don’t know time management as well as I could) but I wanted to sleep in.

Oh did I mention I got written up the next day by that rear end in a top hat area manager for aforementioned poo poo in that post, when everyone else was doing the same thing? With the punishment being “demoted or possibly fired”??? And no one else got written up??? I was so stressed that day that I got an ulcer and couldn’t work most of that night; I’m shocked I didn’t get written up for THAT cause I didn’t complete a bunch of things I had to do. I had my 3 days off after that but then I got another ulcer yesterday and couldn’t function AGAIN abut I did my drat best and did a ton of stuff despite having to sit in the back and die a bunch of times. Thank god the night manager comes in early on Sundays so I could leave a little early but tomorrow I’ll have to wait till 4 so if I’m dying again I get to wait it out, yay. Also, the area manager calls every day around 8:30 just to check up on how things are going, and late on Sundays because that’s technically his day off but he called at 7:30 I guess cause he didn’t think I’d show up??? I’ve never missed a morning shift EVER even if I’m sick as hell.

And couple of weeks ago I got yelled at by him for transferring some items from another store; which, again, EVERYONE does and I’ve done a billion times before. He also always tears down signs that I put up like “don’t throw away [x] items unless they’re totally broken because they’re very expensive,” which is IMPORTANT because our Cost of Goods is really high and I care???

This guy has it out for me and I don’t know why. He also never used to be like this, I don’t know wtf happened. He just went insane. I don’t give a gently caress if he has personal problems but he shouldn’t take it out on employees, and especially not me cause I am (ok was, I don’t give too much of a gently caress after that write-up) one of the hardest-working employees.

Anyways enjoy my :words: , I talked to my dad yesterday and asked him for advice and he gave lots of good advice and I’m gonna explore a ton of stuff he recommended. Already applied at the animal shelter that’s hiring for a full-time position and asked an old professor who liked me for some advice, and gonna straighten the poo poo out of my portfolio and go to my old school’s career center once it’s straightened out cause it’s a bit of a mess right now.

E: tried to sleep in my crazy cat pajama that’s made of that weird soft and super warm polyester material but I’m just comfy in bed but can’t fall asleep. But it has a tail!

It’s pretty much this but black. I got it at Target kind of like a joke but it’s warm and comfy, and currently I thought it would help me sleep—I don’t wear it very often unless I’m freezing. Don’t judge me.

....A cat is now laying on me.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 11:16 on Jul 23, 2018

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I’m going to miss my connection after 4 hours of delays which is the last flight of the day. What sucks is the departing airport and the connection airport are both a 6 hr drive from home so I would have done better to just rent a car outright rather than gamble on not getting boned.

Looking forward to going into work straight off no sleep and trying to make it to the end of the day.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My wallet is either lost or stolen which has made my life extremely complicated

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I am pretty sure i just flunked the second language exam for fed gov jobs thereby completely loving over my future career prospects here because my brain poo poo itselg when looking at french despite me studying for 3 months.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My dad fell down the stairs.

Nothing majorly bad came of it, thank goodness (and he's off getting checked out just in case) but it's still put me in a bad state on top of already being in a bad state.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The bar that I've gone to for a long time (mostly out of having a lot of good memories of the place) is rebranding, and I'm worried that it's the first step to closing. After all, the place is still losing money and its manager is still the same incompetent dink.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I was gonna go to IKEA with my friend today but she has back problems and they're acting up today so she can't go. So I have a choice of going to IKEA myself, which is an hour away, or ordering online, but the earliest they can deliver is Aug 10. I want that bookshelf ASAP due to current life events.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
One of the podcasts I've dug, Thinking Sideways, is shuttering due to one of the hosts moving away.

It's not up there as one of my favorites, but it's still a solid "listen for the hour while doing something else" podcast.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

bunnyofdoom posted:

I am pretty sure i just flunked the second language exam for fed gov jobs thereby completely loving over my future career prospects here because my brain poo poo itselg when looking at french despite me studying for 3 months.

So, got the results and a nice email from the HR person informing me that yeah I flunked, so sorry, no job

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe
Got up early to see the eclipse. It's cloudy. :smithcloud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Intoluene posted:

Got up early to see the eclipse. It's cloudy. :smithcloud: