Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Harrow posted:

I haven't seen him try to eat a cat yet so

I saw him axe a Cait, though....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

fezball posted:

Runelord has a +JP passive, and you can get an accessory that boosts JP after finishing Ophilias story by going back to the kids from her earlier chapter.

I’m still doing Chapter 2s.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

Is there a better way to grind JP besides either doing random battles or hoping for a good Bewildering Grace proc? Bewildering Grace seems to wreck me more often than help me.

Not really. You don't really ever need to grind for JP honestly. The abilities will come soon enough, especially if you just play through things.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Evil Fluffy posted:

So am I seeing it right that the "augments physical attack and def" passive just gives you a permanent atk up and def up boost in combat? That seems real nice on non-Olberic characters who want to make the most out of melee damage on non-warrior setups.

If you spent half an hour on that fight it sounds like your damage output is very low which would be a problem in and of itself. :shrug:

My damage output is pretty low since I am constantly out of cash since outside of stealing from a boss or using Tressa oribital cash cannon, it hard to get money it seems. And I been focusing on armor since the enemies in the cave are pretty nasty even at level 36 for the party.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've done two chapter 2s. My plan is to do the rest and then go get the 4 additional classes before Chapter 3. Good plan? Bad plan?

Also side note, I actually really like the voice acting, but find I can't help but skip it because I read the dialogue really fast and don't want to wait.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Thief subclass is great for everybody simply for the great universal skills like Steal SP/HP for sustain and Shackle Foe for a good boss debuff. Therion is my main but I love putting Thief on Cyrus so he can just keep accruing SP on his own.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Barudak posted:

I had one NPC vanish in my game as well (not that one) so its something that can definitely happen and I've no idea what causes it or if there is any fix.

Well gently caress me. I loved the hell out of this game, but there's no way I'm gonna put in ANOTHER 40 hours with the expectation I'll get blocked from the end-game poo poo.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Idgi I have Alfyn as a Merchant sub and doing the divine merch skill is straight up terrible. Is it an EATK skill?

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Idgi I have Alfyn as a Merchant sub and doing the divine merch skill is straight up terrible. Is it an EATK skill?

Yes it is. I have Cyrus with merchant and he's hitting pretty drat hard with it. Sure I'll take 9999 leaf every time I use it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Wait it is? drat, I've been using physical boosts and and defense debuffs before firing it off because I thought "non-elemental" attack meant physical

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hrm feels like there's a bit of a jump from chapter 2 to 3.

Finished my 4 level 2s at around level 28 and now I have to beat down 34-40.

Can't really find a decent place to level or do stuff in this range.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Natural 20 posted:

Hrm feels like there's a bit of a jump from chapter 2 to 3.

Finished my 4 level 2s at around level 28 and now I have to beat down 34-40.

Can't really find a decent place to level or do stuff in this range.

(do side dungeons and stuff)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What am I supposed to do about those Wind Wisps in Chapter 2 of Cyrus's story that do 500 damage to my party?

Edit: I think I'm just severely underleveled.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 24, 2018

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

IcePhoenix posted:

(do side dungeons and stuff)

Meeeeeeh.

The side quests are fairly one dimensional and what dungeons I've found are either 20-25 or 35-40.

Nothing really in the sweet spot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Well gently caress me. I loved the hell out of this game, but there's no way I'm gonna put in ANOTHER 40 hours with the expectation I'll get blocked from the end-game poo poo.

Is there a guide for what side quests need to be done for the endgame stuff? Now I'm paranoid.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Harrow posted:

Is there a guide for what side quests need to be done for the endgame stuff? Now I'm paranoid.

Yeah there's a few out there. I happened to find out because I was googling this specific sidequest and those guides were coming up. Here's the one that clued me in: http://gameranx.com/features/id/156898/article/octopath-traveler-how-to-unlock-the-true-ending-secret-ending-guide/

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Harrow posted:

Daughter of the Dark God (I and II)
In Search of Father (I and II)

The first is at Ravus Manor and Saintsbridge
The second is in...I think Noblecourt? And one of the areas on the path to goldport.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Natural 20 posted:

Meeeeeeh.

The side quests are fairly one dimensional and what dungeons I've found are either 20-25 or 35-40.

Just go to the next chapter you wanna do. A few levels above you isn’t the end of the world

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

Thief subclass is great for everybody simply for the great universal skills like Steal SP/HP for sustain and Shackle Foe for a good boss debuff. Therion is my main but I love putting Thief on Cyrus so he can just keep accruing SP on his own.

:same:

I actually came across something interesting last night with my Thief Cyrus. I used Share SP with H'aanit and it gave her more than her max sp similar to the Saving Grace passive. It only lasted until the end of battle and next battle she was just at max. I double checked my setup and I couldn't see any skill or equipment that might have caused this to happen so i'm assuming this is just standard with Share SP?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Stupid question but you don't have said NPC Guided/Allured, do you?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

That's a very reasonable question but sadly, that's not the case.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

:same:

I actually came across something interesting last night with my Thief Cyrus. I used Share SP with H'aanit and it gave her more than her max sp similar to the Saving Grace passive. It only lasted until the end of battle and next battle she was just at max. I double checked my setup and I couldn't see any skill or equipment that might have caused this to happen so i'm assuming this is just standard with Share SP?

Share SP can overflow SP, yes.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Specifically, check that you didn’t do it with a character who's not in your party at the moment.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

Share SP can overflow SP, yes.

Sweeeeet. Cyrus is the best SP battery.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Some Numbers posted:

I’m still doing Chapter 2s.

I got Starseer and Sorceror and I still haven't done Ophilia's Ch2...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don't worry about blocking end game. If there's any bug that makes that unavailable it will surely be patched.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I got Starseer and Sorceror and I still haven't done Ophilia's Ch2...

From what I've gathered, low level advanced job strats need the Dancer's Divine Skill? Which means I need another 8K JP on Primrose.

My main character isn't even level 30 yet.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Zoran posted:

Specifically, check that you didn’t do it with a character who's not in your party at the moment.

aaah gently caress!

gently caress gently caress gently caress!!!!!

I had Primrose allure him earlier for something else I had tried and then I stashed her away. I'm like 80% certain he's with her.

Oh my god thank you so much for saying this. I'm embarrassed by my overreaction but now that I know what's up it's kind of funny.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

aaah gently caress!

gently caress gently caress gently caress!!!!!

I had Primrose allure him earlier for something else I had tried and then I stashed her away. I'm like 80% certain he's with her.

Oh my god thank you so much for saying this. I'm embarrassed by my overreaction but now that I know what's up it's kind of funny.

I wondered if this game would have these unique problems thr first time I let wild animals eat a villager for some meager xp.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I have to go the whole work day before I can get home and verify. It really makes sense though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I have to go the whole work day before I can get home and verify. It really makes sense though.

I am eagerly awaiting this update.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I found this excellent playlist of the character specific battle themes morphing into the boss battle themes (there are three for each character, decisive battle I & II + the final boss theme)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLldNgdLVBzhL6wFiSVz_PBGBkWsArxXPv

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Natural 20 posted:

Meeeeeeh.

The best thing about the combat system is you can tackle things a lot higher level if you play strategically. 35-40 is likely right in that 'sweet spot'.

IcePhoenix posted:

I found this excellent playlist of the character specific battle themes morphing into the boss battle themes (there are three for each character, decisive battle I & II + the final boss theme)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLldNgdLVBzhL6wFiSVz_PBGBkWsArxXPv

Amazing, I was wanting something like this. The transitions are fantastic.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I've taken the level recommendations less as "be this before you enter" and more, "you'll be this when you leave"

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

acumen posted:

The best thing about the combat system is you can tackle things a lot higher level if you play strategically. 35-40 is likely right in that 'sweet spot'.

Amazing, I was wanting something like this. The transitions are fantastic.

There are some encounters that are flat impossible though. The desert snake with the AoE sleep attack is just not doable under level because his sleep lands so reliably.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just wrapped up my Ch3s for my main party (Alfyn, Therion, Ophilia, and H'aanit) and I am excited for their conclusions. Both Alfyn and Ophilia are way not what was I expected when I started.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Natural 20 posted:

There are some encounters that are flat impossible though. The desert snake with the AoE sleep attack is just not doable under level because his sleep lands so reliably.

You can equip accessories that make you immune to sleep and you can immunize characters or even your entire party with Alfyn.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Natural 20 posted:

There's a charm for that. I know I have at least one that blocks sleep

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Natural 20 posted:

There's sleep resist accessories, passives, and debuffs to counter that. There's few points in the game where there are actual hard gear/stat checks and even those will probably be broken by speedrunners or power gamers. An advanced job boss has already even been soloed. Basically :gitgud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
I really enjoyed going all the chapter 1 stories, made my way to stillsnow (which I took ages to find!) for my first chapter 2 and the boss kicked my rear end and the game over screen hurt my heart. I breezed through the first chapters, guess I got to get on the grind.....