Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

donoteat posted:

OK I'm actually really happy about how this one turned out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rseaKBPkRPU

RIP Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, and Mike's Confectionaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

jadebullet posted:

Anyway, is it actually possible to have a city run properly without highway connections? I kind of want to do something similar in building a region over a period of time rather than instantly starting in 2018. Mainly I want to start in the late 1800s with the main city being fed coal from various towns up north, and with rail travel being the main connection between towns, then going from there. (Similar to how anthracite came down from Schuylkill County to the tidewater port at Port Richmond)

Also, does anyone know if making a functional canal is possible, or will I just have to model it post abandonment?

I am deeply interested in both these questions.

From what I recall, I think you have to have some form of outside connection, but you don't have to use them (i remember seeing a map get around the issue via two tiny highways at the edge of the map that just go straight back off it). Then you can use an Airport/etc to get people in.

Canal's I actually just use to make a giant river of poo poo to fill up a dam because its funny and I do it in every city i've ever built.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

donoteat posted:

When you said you were doing the PP&P ep this week I got excited for some reason, I'm not sure why. Maybe because I'd like to know what to do with all this available space for parking!

This is a very good episode, and made me sad. I have a freeway right next to me that I can see from my office window and recently the road has been downgraded to a boulevard to many people being angry about reducing the speed limit. This episode helped me re-consider what they did. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Memorial_Shoreway I had thought it was to lower road noise, because that neighborhood is going through genetrification. Of course though, the lowered speed limit pisses me off at 1am when I'm trying to get home in 5 minutes as opposed to 10.

I also have 490 near me which has a goofy story https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_490_(Ohio) This has made traveling to the east side a pain in the rear end which I avoid, the east side is inaccessible most of the time. But I appreciate that they kept it out, so I'm torn on it because of how it impacts me today. Really though, I'm glad they kept it out but it took me understanding a lot of info to get there.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

As with all your previous videos, this is really good.

:yeah:

I haven't played this game in a couple of years but these videos are captivating. I'm eagerly awaiting the next one!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

jadebullet posted:

Anyway, is it actually possible to have a city run properly without highway connections? I kind of want to do something similar in building a region over a period of time rather than instantly starting in 2018. Mainly I want to start in the late 1800s with the main city being fed coal from various towns up north, and with rail travel being the main connection between towns, then going from there. (Similar to how anthracite came down from Schuylkill County to the tidewater port at Port Richmond)

Also, does anyone know if making a functional canal is possible, or will I just have to model it post abandonment?

People have done island cities accessible only by boats that work fine, so you could probably do the same with rail. How well this would actually work with the game’s economic simulation is questionable; I’m thinking of all of the weirdness that can happen in terms of importing goods. But it’s definitely worth a shot.

I’m pretty sure you can at least route ferries through canals.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
How does this game perform with virtual memory on an SSD and will it utilise spare VRAM? I have a 4 GB card. 1050 ti to be specific.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

donoteat posted:

You touched on it slightly, but another point about urban freeways (or just major roads in general) is how they act as a great physical/psychological barrier - which can drastically undermine the viability of areas near them beyond the issues caused by increased traffic and noise.

I really enjoyed this video though, and your series in general - they're both great.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 23, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Weren't some highways built with very limited ways to cross to separate the undesirables such as poors and/or untermensch from the proper americans?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Poil posted:

Weren't some highways built with very limited ways to cross to separate the undesirables such as poors and/or untermensch from the proper americans?

Yes, and also because they were often running straight through the middle of poor neighbourhoods to allow suburbanites to get downtown without driving through poor districts, and they didn't want the poor to have on- or off-ramps that might add traffic to the suburban commutes. Where they were built right through the neighbourhoods (as opposed to in between them, as you mention), this had the result of destroying the community life of both sides of the highway, because people could no longer easily visit friends and family or patronize businesses or visit churches or community centres, you get the idea, on the other side of the highway as well as in the parts that were demolished. Thus in addition to the dislocation of the construction itself, and the noise and increased traffic and all that, you had the effect of segregating a neighbourhood from itself and causing further long-term destruction to the viability of community life.

e: here's an example from Baltimore where there are loads of bridges but no on-ramps.

That's taken from a Guardian article that goes into more detail on this particular egregious planning crime.

quote:

In the middle of this blight stands a monument to failed American city planning: a giant ditch that bisects West Baltimore neatly into north and south. Officially named State Route 40, it was originally intended to be a key part of a proposed east-west freeway presented as crucial to the city’s growth. This gigantic project upended hundreds of lives, transformed an entire landscape and cost tens of millions of dollars. The locals call it the “road to nowhere”.

“It was an obvious name to give,” says Denise Johnson, a community organiser who grew up in West Baltimore. “We lost families, we lost homeowners, we lost businesses, and we lost churches. And we lost people. People who were stable. People who didn’t plan to leave the community.”

In the 1950s, a vast increase in cars was beginning to clog the roads to and from the new suburbs. The federal government poured money into the brand new interstate system, encouraging radials, arteries and thoroughfares through dense urban neighbourhoods. This also presented city planners with what seemed an unprecedented opportunity – to use federal funds to clear out “slums” and open up vast tracts of land.

Where to build a freeway became not only an economic decision, but also a moral one – a chance to uplift and sweep clean America’s ghettos.

But were they ghettos?

“This was not a neighbourhood that was struggling,” says John Bullock, the city councilman for Baltimore’s ninth district, which includes the road to nowhere. “We’re talking about middle-class neighbourhoods, which were seen through the eyes of others as slums or ghettos because of the colour of the people who lived there.”

The road, says Bullock, who also teaches political science at Towson University, was yet another example of infrastructure marginalising black citizens. “We’re talking about generations of black people who have faced these challenges. Not only from the highway, but also disinvestment, the redlining, the lack of employment. Because if we say housing was lost, churches were lost, we have to remember also businesses were lost. And oftentimes people have to go outside their communities to spend that money, which never gets recirculated in that community.”

Moreover, while the freeways opened up routes from the suburbs to the city centres, there were often a conspicuous lack of entrances in black communities. The gigantic concrete ditch in West Baltimore is a perfect example: sunken, without exits – it effectively seals off one side from the other.

Interstates touched the lives of millions of people, in hundreds of cities across the US. From Atlanta to Chicago, Denver to New York, black communities felt the twin pain of urban decay and expropriation of land. But before the Voting Rights Act, black people had no legal recourse through which to oppose such plans.

“I call it the falseness of community engagement,” says Denise Johnson, her voice rising with emotion at the frustration of decades of failed promises. “Back then, when they were building that highway, there was no mandated policy that you had to engage the community. Now, there is a mandated policy to engage the community, which is a good thing. But at the same time, it’s still just … their agenda.”

In recent years those failed promises have included the Red Line. This was a light rail project, heavily championed by the city council, that would have connected East and West Baltimore, and provided thousands of jobs and economic development. The proposed route of the Red Line would have been overlaid on the road to nowhere, with a stop at Harlem Park in West Baltimore. But despite the project winning federal approval and funding, incoming governor Larry Hogan cancelled the project, citing its cost, enraging the city government and large portions of the African American community.

In Baltimore, the added insult was that the road to nowhere didn’t even have to happen. To this day, the one-mile, six-lane road sees so little traffic that when it is shut down, as it is occasionally due to film shoots or snowfall, hardly anyone notices. It ends abruptly just outside the city, a strange amputation that is now a park-and-ride, cleaving a terrible wound through the middle of a major city for no reason: too big to replace, too expensive to tear down.

There's more in the article itself: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/feb/21/roads-nowhere-infrastructure-american-inequality

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 23, 2018

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

If you'd like to know more, you can consult the historical documentary "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

jadebullet posted:

I'm really enjoying your series on Franklin, particularly since I'm in the area myself and love history. Quite frankly I'm looking forward to you dealing with a massive passenger station that not only renders north-south travel impossible for a section of the city, but tends to catch fire constantly. (Personally. I much prefer the Reading to the Pennsy anyway)

if you have mass transit you could use the two way highway (resembling i guess just a small road) instead of the default ones if you edit them in the map.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Connect main highway to a small island that only has boat out of it to the real game area.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Poil posted:

Often yes. In some cases more affluent areas NIMBYed everything so hard that the highways would take routes that look weird on a map. Except when you look at the demographics you'd see it going right through pockets of poor people and/or minorities. Sometimes that would actually be intentional because lol gently caress those people.

Even if it isn't intentional plowing through areas with lower land values is attractive from a purely financial outlook. So if you have a neighborhood full of poor people who rent and somebody from the government says to the actual landowners hey we want to buy the crap out of this land guess who the owner is more likely to side with.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Where I'm at you have two interesting things.

The first is Port Kennedy, PA. This was a small company town that served some quarries in Valley Forge. Then 422 came through and all that is left is a large mansion that was turned into a restaurant that then failed, and a church, with 422 running right through it.

Then there is the failed highway at Bridgeport, PA. If you look on a map you will see a highway section that starts in the town and extends a mile up the road, then stops. The only part that was ever used is the ramp section with 202. It was intended to be a bypass between Norristown and 422 at Trooper. Unfortunately for them, the project ran into issues regarding the landscape and the railroad and died.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
If I'm trying to recreate a real world city but make it more tailored for the game's scale, what scale should I be using? 1:1.5ish? I'm talking like appropriately sized subway catchment areas and a decent number of appropriately spaced stops and like some detail of neighborhoods but not every little street. Maybe some use for heavy rail as well but that seems tough.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How to get no-highway cities to work:

Make an island or what ever. You won't be able to save the map and play it without any highway connection, so off in some secret corner make a tiny loop of a stub and forget about it. Now you can make a city where the only way to get goods is via ship. I've never tried adding rail to the mix, but it probably works the same. It also sometimes takes a few months for the game to figure out it can't path anything to you via highway, and then sends the people and goods via ship. Make sure you have a cargo port and cruise ship port or you won't get any citizens. Suddenly after a while of thinking maybe the game isn't working you'll get a ship with like 500 people on it suddenly flood out from the port and your city will spring to life.

An important note though, if you're using traffic manager and using advanced parking, this disables pocket cars. No pocket cars plus everyone arriving via ship or train means no one in your city will have cars, or they will be extremely rare. Congrats, you now have an almost totally car-free city.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Eh, I figured it out. I just deleted all highways except for at the edge, and ran roads to it to represent older style roads.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Roadchat! Sorry if the image sizes are screwy, scaling on a 4K display is awful.

This is the M18:

When it was built in the early 1970s, it was supposed to simply link up the M1 (London-Yorkshire) to the A1 (London-Edinburgh). Then, a few years later, someone had the bright idea to extend the M18 northward, so that it could link up to the M62 (Hull-Liverpool). Pretty straightfoward: in a small way it links up England's main north-south and east-west arteries.

Quick history of the area: Sheffield used to be a manufacturing/fabrication powerhouse. Doncaster was a mining town. Goole is the UK's most inland port, and Scunthorpe used to be basically a gigantic steelworks with a town attached. Basically it was the 70s, motorways were cheap, the energy crisis hadn't happened yet, and having lots of ways to connect pre-globalised British Industry together was a good thing. Then came the 80s and Thatcherism and, well.

Anyway, this was Junction 3, now Junction 5, of the M18 after it was built:

Presenting the A18(M). It was basically a length of motorway built to connect the M18 to the A18, and at a length of just under a mile it was Britain's shortest stretch of motorway. Cute anecdote, but here's where it gets weird - the A18 is the main road connecting Doncaster and Scunthorpe, so having a motorway connection almost straight into to a major steelworking town was fantastic.

This is what it looks like today. The two roundabouts are still there, but something's been ... added:

In the late 1970s, the M180 was built and, for some reason, they never added an eastbound entry from the A18; so coming from the A18 roundabout you need to join the M180 going west, go all the way around the larger roundabout, to come back headed east. From satellite view you can also see where they recycled the old road into a sliproad when they were building the M180: in a nutshell, the entire junction was done as cheaply as possible.

To illustrate further, this is the M180's route today:

It just ... stops, after going east for a while, instead of linking up with Immingham (home to the UK's busiest port by tonnage), and Grimsby (at the time the UK's busiest fish docks), after which it becomes the A180 and reduces to a bog-standard 2 lanes in each direction. Madness.

...so uh not particularly interesting I suppose, just illustrative of how there basically is no / was no Grand Master Plan for the English road network. Just slap it down on the cheap and hope it works out for the best :effort:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's roughly how we work in general. Our motorways are all very much "we want to do this" and they achieve said goal but don't really think about the future.

The current thing that's irking me is the removal of the lay by lane (used in the event of a break down). Instead they turned it into another lane and they'll apparently have lights to signal to other motorists when a break down happens on said lane.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what happened next:

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/m3-camberley-crash-not-very-13960020

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

dogstile posted:

That's roughly how we work in general. Our motorways are all very much "we want to do this" and they achieve said goal but don't really think about the future.

The current thing that's irking me is the removal of the lay by lane (used in the event of a break down). Instead they turned it into another lane and they'll apparently have lights to signal to other motorists when a break down happens on said lane.

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/m3-camberley-crash-not-very-13960020

Lol what the gently caress england

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you hit a stopped vehicle on the highway you should really have your license taken away for a few years until you can prove your eyes and attention span are properly developed.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Doncaster is where dreams die, that is if we ever had any dreams in the first place :smith:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

dogstile posted:

This isn't the first stretch of "smart motorway" they're going to set up on the M3, as they're going to turn the southern stretch at Southampton/Eastleigh down from Winchester into the same thing, as well as most of the M27. This obviously ignores that the absolute worst stretches of the M27 are just before/after where the "smart" motorway bits will start/end

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
As a side note, if you have an afternoon spare or some downtime at work, take a look at CBRD's 'bad junction' database. Are your Skylines interchanges snarled-up, traffic-choked, perilous black holes of despair? Good, that means they're realistic! :v:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

donoteat posted:

This is loving incredible and I could listen to you do these until the end of time. What is the mod you're using that's letting you fine-tune placement of roads and what not?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

spincube posted:

As a side note, if you have an afternoon spare or some downtime at work, take a look at CBRD's 'bad junction' database. Are your Skylines interchanges snarled-up, traffic-choked, perilous black holes of despair? Good, that means they're realistic! :v:

I agree with pretty much everything about the A3 Hogsback junction and basically that entire road around Guildford. It's a relic of a bygone era

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

Taintrunner posted:

This is loving incredible and I could listen to you do these until the end of time. What is the mod you're using that's letting you fine-tune placement of roads and what not?

That would be Move it!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

donoteat posted:

I'm really liking these.

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
Three days of non-stop Citiesing.
My awful specs can't keep up with the amount of detail I want to cram in and now that I've dipped below 8fps I've had to stop.
Okunokawa:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Tai posted:

How does this game perform with virtual memory on an SSD and will it utilise spare VRAM? I have a 4 GB card. 1050 ti to be specific.

I ran it on a 4GB GTX 460 with 8GB of system ram and a spinning rust HDD, it'll be fine. My load times with lots of mods sucked (~8 minutes if i closed chrome) but the game was absolutely playable.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Crisis Now posted:

Three days of non-stop Citiesing.
My awful specs can't keep up with the amount of detail I want to cram in and now that I've dipped below 8fps I've had to stop.
Okunokawa:

Very cute! How did you get houses along the new park paths?

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

Baronjutter posted:

Very cute! How did you get houses along the new park paths?

The tiny paths are actually roads.

Using Move It and Plop the Growables are pretty much mandatory for making very dense towns / wall-to-wall / buildings that follow roads closely. The former letting you move any object (as well as nodes for roads) and the latter stops buildings despawning if they're outside of the normal building area.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Chenghiz posted:

I ran it on a 4GB GTX 460 with 8GB of system ram and a spinning rust HDD, it'll be fine. My load times with lots of mods sucked (~8 minutes if i closed chrome) but the game was absolutely playable.

And how many mods could you run? I know the game will run fine, I'm just a mod fiend.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It depends a lot on the mods, really. Stuff like buildings will use a lot of memory and badly optimized ones will use a lot more.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Yeah it's hard to say. A street sign prop is a mod as far as the steam workshop is concerned. I think I usually had ~800 mods/assets and nothing I knew of that was badly optimized as far as RAM usage went.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

donoteat posted:

Seriously. I watch these for your lecture and commentary, and generally just speed through any cinematic.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Seriously. I watch these for your lecture and commentary, and generally just speed through any cinematic.
i have a secret

:same:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

If you hit a stopped vehicle on the highway you should really have your license taken away for a few years until you can prove your eyes and attention span are properly developed.

Do you drive much, my dude? Stopped cars in a high speed road, especially when its somewhat busy so other cars are obscuring vision, are some of the scariest things on the road I've experienced, probably ranking only a little below black ice

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

donoteat posted:

You should be proud, that's god drat incredible. I'm doing my best to spread it to politically minded friends who like Cities Skylines.

This video was linked elsewhere on these forums and I went back to watch your whole Franklin series (and then catch up with this thread). It's really fantastic work. If Franklin itself burns you out, definitely keep it up with the political pieces. But I'm very interested in seeing Franklin develop into dealing with issues like this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I have a problem. I have these pretty sea-walls that have nice built-in railings. They look lovely, but no one walks on them since they aren't a path or street of any kind. I can covertly lay pedestrian paths inside of them as bridges, but the bridges have their own railings on both sides. But what if I want buildings along them? Can I sink a road in? I can! But then the terrain deforms up all around it a tile wide both sides and fucks up my sea-wall. Is there any option to get a pedestrian path or street hidden up in a quay without it deforming the terrain? Some railingless-bridge?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 25, 2018