Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Beastie posted:

I do. I don’t literally throw them out but I don’t want old consoles lying around. I don’t often feel the urge to play a last gen title but being able to just launch the ones available on Xbox is great.

This. I might use it infrequently but it's still really important to me. I don't want to have to keep a massive stack of consoles. And I do actually play 360 semi frequently. My PS3 is in a closet and has been since the beginning of this gen due to lack of BC. Tbh BC is about 50% of the reason I keep an Xbox one around.

This cycle is sort of unprecedented for me too because the amount of good games that I bought is sort of insane. Like, last gen I had a few dozen digital games and a handful of discs sitting around by the end. Right now I have hundreds of digital games (many of them were freebies though) and a couple dozen discs. A bunch of them I consider all time classics that I don't want to lose, but I also don't want to keep a PS4 hooked up for the next decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think overwatch is dead on this dumb gay console; I can barely get a game

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Cojawfee posted:

Sony is going pretty hard into this "we're number 1, so gently caress off" attitude that I could see them not doing backwards compatibility with the PS5 and losing it all.

lol no

The only reason it happened at the start of this gen is MS and Sony colluding early to save production costs and sell digital copies of the same games. Then Microsoft panicked because they were drowning and started their current wacky system of just giving people the digital copy while using the disc as a dongle. Sony is so far ahead they don't care and can keep milking the digital copy scene and trying to get their streaming thing to work.

Both companies know MS would have probably not eaten poo poo if they could have leveraged the ridiculous XB360 attach rate and 2nd hand market for 360 games to prop up some of the disastrous launch poo poo and I really doubt any of them want to gamble on the being the one who repeats that history next time around. It might just be both of them working a system like the current Bone but I would bet on both next consoles letting you play the old discs, one way or another.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 24, 2018

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

What? Make that sentence make sense.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Not sure I can dumb that down to the "I bought an xbone before a PS4 and continue to believe that was a good idea" level, but I'll try:

Neither company wanted to do backwards compatibility this gen to save costs on hardware and sell more digital games. They probably agreed on this early in console development so they could both avoid wasting money on it at all while designing new consoles.

But the xbone sucked so bad they realized it was going to fall off a cliff if they didn't start letting people play old discs so they jerry rigged the system they use now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xb1 contains hardware hooks for 360 games
When they got to crunch time leading up to reveal they shelved it and because sony didnt have it, they didnt make it a priority when everything else was on fire

They resuscitated the program once they thought they had recovered from their kinnect/drm blunders.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Fake News, intel witch hunt no hardware

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Seriously it's true.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/10/xb1-backward-compat-missed-launch-because-of-always-online-debacle/

It was going to be a launch feature and there's no way it could be a launch feature if it was pre-planned with Sony to not do BC.

I know the Xbox One sucks compared to the other consoles but you don't have to make up reasons for it to suck.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Its k i was being rude and not talkin reality

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Its k i was being rude and not talkin reality

What I meant to say was I don't see why Sony WOULD do backwards compatibility.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cojawfee posted:

Because they did do it for both PS2 and the initial waves of PS3s?

I mean leaving aside that attempting to emulate the PS3's own weird system is a huge hassle while the 360's is much easier to handle, which meant there'd never be much chance of good backwards compat on the PS4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Because digital libraries ballooned during the 8th gen and represent a giant anchor to owners of ps4 preventing them from considering xbox next time

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah, also at the same time I am extremely surprised that ps4 doesn't even play ps1 game. For fucks sake they've got 100+ digital ps1 games ready to sell.

It is literally the ONLY Sony console not capable of playing ps1 games. Ps1 games aren't even good enough (graphics wise) than you can do a remaster like they've done with ps2 games.

The ps5 needs to be able to play ps4 games at a minimum or you'll see gamers considering going back to Xbox, which can play 4 generations (Xbox og, Xbox 360, Xbox one and Xbox Scarlett.)

Xbox is still going to struggle overseas, especially in Asian countries.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah but pc

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ineffiable posted:

Xbox is still going to struggle overseas, especially in Asian countries.
please believe in the power of the (mushroom) cloud

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I prefer earlier gens over this one, in terms of AAA stuff, so the BC is great for me. I also enjoyed some of the smaller poo poo that gets released on both PC and the bone. My laptop either can't run them or runs them poorly, and they're usually X enhanced. I've been able to enjoy stuff like Deep Rock Galactic, Everspace and Project Darwin. That dumb llama game not so much.

Speaking of BC Dante's Inferno is a hoot. Someone in a group of mine said it's Roger Corman Presents God Of War but I think that distinction goes to Marlow Briggs. There's obviously a budget behind Inferno and it doesn't play too crappy. I wish Splatterhouse and the 2007 Conan game were BC. They're not what could be called good games but schlock like it always has a place in my heart.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Allowing people to take their purchased digital collections into the next gen would be a pretty cool thing in my opinion.

Also just add a built in microphone either in the console or in the controllers and let me use the Kinect voice commands again. That was the only good part of the Kinect.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

You can still use it with a wired or wireless headset. I didn't buy the adapter to hook Kinect up to my X so I just gave it to my nephews when I gave them my Bone.

I still don't use voice commands though.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I suspect BC is more driven by publishing companies that want their libraries to remain sellable for longer and to avoid inter-generational issues with the consoles.

Oh, a new one is coming out next year but it'll cost too much for most people? Well we can make the title for THIS one and release a texture pack for the next-gen and call it a day.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Publishers already make last-gen ports for a long time. MGSV got releases on PS3 and 360 well into 2015, and sports titles even longer than that.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Publishers already make last-gen ports for a long time. MGSV got releases on PS3 and 360 well into 2015, and sports titles even longer than that.

Pretty sure the Wii just got a new version of Just Dance.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There are still new games being release for PlayStation 3.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

There are still new games being release for PlayStation 3.

If I'm not mistaken, the only upcoming PS3 game is FIFA 19: Legacy Edition. 360 is getting it as well, along with Just Dance 2019, which they finally binned on PS3 due to the somewhat rare setup you needed for it. I'm impressed there were enough people with PS Eyes as well as Move controllers to warrant putting them out this long.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Someone somewhere is getting Just Dance 2019 for Christmas

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Someone somewhere is getting Just Dance 2019 for Christmas

For Wii.

And it's something they actually want, like it's on their list.

There's also the Wii U version coming. :getin:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's crazy to think about that every few years there is a new game for Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo. These are ultra niche games that only a handful of people ever buy, but it does exist.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

It's crazy to think about that every few years there is a new game for Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo. These are ultra niche games that only a handful of people ever buy, but it does exist.

I think this is the case for every system where it's possible to manufacture carts or discs without the parent company's permission. Kind of like how we regularly see new Dreamcast games but not PS1 games.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Beastie posted:

Pretty sure the Wii just got a new version of Just Dance.

Wow that is hosed up, they bothered to release a Just Dance for Wii last year and have one last version for sale this year. And it also looks like the only thing released for the Wii since 2015 has been Just Dance and a few related singing games.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

Retro gaming is growing enough that there’s new hardware for old platforms, like HDMI adapters for Dreamcast, SATA HDD adapters for PS2, modern controllers for N64, etc

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

BC is nice and all but for me the main selling point for Xbox is the online system (it's just better than Sony's), my friends all play Xbox, and I prefer the controller.

It's as simple as that. I don't really get down with a lot of Japanese RPG's so the PS4 is not my main machine. I used it to play Uncharted, Last of Us, Last Guardian, and the Shadow of the Colossus remake.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think Just Dance survives as a cheap "for the kids" title on the consoles out there which live on mainly as fitness and streaming media boxes, and given the technical structure of the games I'm pretty sure they have a turnkey central build and then click a single button (ok not that simple but still pretty simple) which says "compile for 360/Wii/WiiU/Xbone/PS4/Switch". But yeah, the last non-dancing game for Wii was probably something like FIFA 15 or around there somewhere.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The genesis is also still a big thing in Brazil because they are allergic to being normal

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The genesis is also still a big thing in Brazil because they are allergic to being normal

Actually it's because Brazil has some bonkers tariffs on electronics, including those made locally but especially on those made internationally. The PS4 Pro is like $900USD which is actually half the price the vanilla PS4 launched at because Sony hadn't gotten all their Brazilian production set up yet. This is in a country where the mean wage is like $5USD a day. Nintendo even bailed on releasing the Switch there officially, if memory serves.

So the really old consoles live a crazy-long time, and is why you had stuff like FIFA 14 get an official release on PS2. Hell, Brazil even got a Netflix streaming disc for PS2!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it's actually illegal to sell any electronics not made in Brazil, so they have big black markets where you can buy illegally imported consoles.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Xbox One: There's nothing left to say about Xbox One

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

univbee posted:

Actually it's because Brazil [example of them being allergic to being normal]

:hai:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beastie posted:

BC is nice and all but for me the main selling point for Xbox is the online system (it's just better than Sony's), my friends all play Xbox, and I prefer the controller.

It's as simple as that. I don't really get down with a lot of Japanese RPG's so the PS4 is not my main machine. I used it to play Uncharted, Last of Us, Last Guardian, and the Shadow of the Colossus remake.

Get a pc

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm probably too sharktank to have anyone believe I'm asking this earnestly but I'll do it anyway: What's the differences in the online systems? I'm not the sort of person who uses all the groups and calendar events and whatever, I just want to see who's on, what they're playing and be able to push a few buttons and play with them and both psn and xbl seem perfectly fine for doing that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm probably too sharktank to have anyone believe I'm asking this earnestly but I'll do it anyway: What's the differences in the online systems? I'm not the sort of person who uses all the groups and calendar events and whatever, I just want to see who's on, what they're playing and be able to push a few buttons and play with them and both psn and xbl seem perfectly fine for doing that.

Its mostly residual goodwill left over from last gen where Sony's download speeds were trash, PS3's wifi was bad, and everyone's information ended up on pastebin. They're both the same poo poo different color now, aside from some Switch/PC crossplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
one thing I do like about xbl is that it's seemingly a lot easier for users to find the gamertag of a rando they just played so you get a lot more salty/braggy messages when playing Madden.