Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Songbearer posted:

It's that time again! Can you reccomend a good hidden object game? I love playing them with ~*the fiance*~.

So far we've done Hidden Folks and Adam Wolfe and enjoyed both a lot, but I'm looking for something that is more directly just a no-frills "Find the object" sort of thing. Adam Wolfe had some logic puzzles that frustrated her (I enjoy them myself). The lighter the narrative the better, really. Hidden Folks was pretty much ideal.

Artifex Mundi is the king of HOGs on Steam. Check out the Grim Fables series and the Enigmatis series.

There's nothing on steam that has Hidden Folks' quality, alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think there's a handful of "literally just hidden object scenes" games on Steam, but I'm pretty sure they're all super low quality or aimed at kids.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm looking for a game where I build a central base/town and then go out and kill stuff and explore to make my base cooler.

Bonus if the base gets attack somewhat regularly and you have to defend it.
Not interested in Minecraft or a game like DragonQuest builders that is divided into levels.

Basically Fallout 4 bases that are good and serve a purpose.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Warzone 2100

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm looking for a game where I build a central base/town and then go out and kill stuff and explore to make my base cooler.

Not interested in Minecraft or a game like DragonQuest builders that is divided into levels.

7 Days to Die
Conan Exiles

You don't need a server if you play solo, but both are better with friends

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Tagra posted:

7 Days to Die

Seconding this. The game strikes a near perfect balance between Minecraft levels of creative building and problem solving, and more modern/complex open world survival gameplay. The controls feel a little janky at times, but it's easily forgivable. It's the only game that, for me, has gotten close to feeling truly post-apocalyptic and like I could barely survive.

I fell in with a group of goons on my first play through which was fun, but also somewhat game breaking because we had easily a dozen people and scavenging for resources was far too easy. For my second play through I picked a random server and played solo, constructing a safe haven at the top of the tallest concrete building I could find. Mornings were spent lugging dirt up to the roof to create easily accessible farmland, and afternoons were spent repairing walls and replacing the stairwell traps which zombies had destroyed the night before. Nights were spent in either my sniper's nest, picking off zombies as they worked their way up the stairs, or planting and harvesting crops in my rooftop garden. Around the time that I started losing ground every night to the zombies I realized someone was living in a building nearby and we spent the better part of the next (realtime) week trading, helping each other repair structures, and cutting a safe, underground walkway between our two bases.

I feel like the game is best played with two people. Three is also fine, but once you get to four and above you end up in "we're building a huge fuckoff base whether we need to or not" land, which is fun for awhile, but doesn't feel quite as rewarding when you survive each night. I still pick up the game every few months with a buddy and we spend a week or two futzing around with a new base in a different part of the map until it is inevitably overrun by the undead hordes.

e: Also the game strongly rewards exploration, which I realize now I didn't really mention. Pretty much every single structure you find will have something valuable in it, and there are useful plants and materials scattered all over the map. Want to make concrete? Better go find the desert so you can get some sand. Need a lot of scrap metal? Go find a super market and bust up all their shelves. Need a new axe because you broke your last one planting it in the head of a not so friendly player? Go looking for a hardware store.

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 20, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tagra posted:

7 Days to Die
Did they ever do anything about the weirdly sexualised female zombies?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I tried 7 Days to Die earlier this year and bounced off of it hard.

Everything just felt so drat slow and ugly. Maybe it gets better the more you play it but I did not enjoy myself at all.

Gimme a big, upgradable building where I can slap on auto-turrets in a 3rd person action/defense game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inzombiac posted:

Hinterland, maybe?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Inzombiac posted:

Everything just felt so drat slow and ugly. Maybe it gets better the more you play it but I did not enjoy myself at all.

Gimme a big, upgradable building where I can slap on auto-turrets in a 3rd person action/defense game.

Me too, so so ugly.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Can anyone recommend some good co-op games to stream with a friend? That means either little downtime or toys to mess around with when nothing's happening.

We've been playing Warframe lately, and are going to play WoW when the expansion comes out. We've considered Stardew Valley and Sea of Thieves.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

McFrugal posted:

Can anyone recommend some good co-op games to stream with a friend? That means either little downtime or toys to mess around with when nothing's happening.

We've been playing Warframe lately, and are going to play WoW when the expansion comes out. We've considered Stardew Valley and Sea of Thieves.

Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Inzombiac posted:

Thirded. I then cheated up a vehicle so I could at least drive around and pretend to scavenge the unity asset store clearance shelf of a wasteland and it apparently can’t handle fluid motion at 25 mph.

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
What other games like the fallout and elder scrolls series have a poo poo ton of mods that change the game or add cool poo poo?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Re: 7 Days to Die being slow and ugly – I won't disagree with the ugly bit. It definitely looks and at time feels like it was made in the early to mid 2000s. I feel like the slowness is about on par with most survival games, but this is one of the main reasons why playing with a buddy or two is important. Otherwise if you're playing solo offline you can futz around with the server config to change gathering rates and whatnot to speed things up.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Inzombiac posted:

Dig or Die. It's basically Terraria with tower defense and nightly monster swarm attacks.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Inzombiac posted:

Have you played Orcs Must Die 1 or 2? Each stage is you defending an enclosed area from waves of orcs and related baddies. You can fight the orcs directly and/or place turrets and traps to kill them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah I've beaten both games.
I'm looking for a single gle, persistent fort that gets attacks with some regularity.
Kinda what the MGS survival game promised but didn't deliver.

I want to climb up a tower to chill and watch traps and maybe a team of NPCs kill monsters.

You know what? I want Fortnite Save The World but just with one base and a big world.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Mantari posted:

What other games like the fallout and elder scrolls series have a poo poo ton of mods that change the game or add cool poo poo?
Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld

Inzombiac posted:

Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Looking for some Vita titles.
Basically, I'm looking for something like Class of Heroes - Create your team from the ground up (Race, class, etc), and go do rpg stuff like explore dungeons, but with an easier to understand equipment system.

Like, with CoH, I never really knew what was actually good and what was just crap I managed to slap a bunch of +1s onto to hide how crap it was.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Inzombiac posted:

Man same, I saw how much goons recommended it and thought it was very my jam, and to me it was barely playable jank.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ms Adequate posted:

Man same, I saw how much goons recommended it and thought it was very my jam, and to me it was barely playable jank.

Conan Exiles is surprisingly good. I played the beta and some into release.
They've upgraded it quite a bit, the building is fun and you can build a little NPC army.

As a solo/private game, it's pretty chill. I don't think you'd be able to do the good stuff but you can crank up materials and XP to build a very neat castle.

You can even post NPC Archer to kill things that come by.
As a private game, that's not helpful but it does look cool.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I need a game like Minecraft skyblocks, with all the automation and machinery and stuff, except not Factorio because that's really stressful for some reason (also I'm still kinda waiting for full release). Any recommends?

(e) Played Raft and Subnautica already

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

infinifactory? it's a puzzle game and not an open world sandbox though

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yeah, right aesthetic wrong genre. I keep saying I should just pick up Minecraft and see what modern skyblocks look like

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
This might be a weird question but are there any survival horror games with puzzle solving / item management but the actual combat is resolved in RPG style battles? For example you find 10 handgun bullets and you have to decide if you are gonna kill the enemy in a turn based encounter.

Does not need to be horror, just the resource management part of it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
There's Koudelka. The game really sucks, but the VA work is excellent.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ciaphas posted:

yeah, right aesthetic wrong genre. I keep saying I should just pick up Minecraft and see what modern skyblocks look like
Big Pharma? Or is that further in the wrong direction.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

WaltherFeng posted:

This might be a weird question but are there any survival horror games with puzzle solving / item management but the actual combat is resolved in RPG style battles? For example you find 10 handgun bullets and you have to decide if you are gonna kill the enemy in a turn based encounter.

I'd say Persona is like that in a way. Your progress in a dungeon is limited by how much you can manage to beat with the spell points and stuff available to you, and the only free healing you will get comes from leaving the dungeon. A lot of the supposed difficulty comes from managing time and items as resources for moving forward. What do you mean when you say puzzle solving, though? Are you asking if there's a game where you need the spade key to open the spade door which is found by moving a log in a fireplace 2 inches to the left which is indicated by a painting of a man taking a poo poo while pointing left hanging above the mantle, or are you just talking like... stuff to do other than shootin' baddies and movin' forward?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

signalnoise posted:

I'd say Persona is like that in a way. Your progress in a dungeon is limited by how much you can manage to beat with the spell points and stuff available to you, and the only free healing you will get comes from leaving the dungeon. A lot of the supposed difficulty comes from managing time and items as resources for moving forward. What do you mean when you say puzzle solving, though? Are you asking if there's a game where you need the spade key to open the spade door which is found by moving a log in a fireplace 2 inches to the left which is indicated by a painting of a man taking a poo poo while pointing left hanging above the mantle, or are you just talking like... stuff to do other than shootin' baddies and movin' forward?

Well puzzle solving or anything that does not involve killing things (exploring, figuring out where to go)

The idea came to my mind because the old school Resident Evil combat is mostly about resource management and if you have enough bullets for what you need to kill. Basically the sort of gameplay that could be resolved in turn based encounter.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

WaltherFeng posted:

This vaguely reminds me of Sweet Home. I've never played it, only watched bits and pieces, but it's a horror game with light puzzles and RPG combat...on the NES.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Parasite Eve, maybe?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Really Pants posted:

Parasite Eve, maybe?

I was kinda thinking that myself, as the issue here in my mind is the idea that there must be non-combat things to do, but if you do have to use combat, it's resolved in a turn-based way with limited resources. In Resident Evil and other games of that style, the threat of combat stays around because you don't level up and trivialize the encounters. It would need to be something like that, I suppose, and I'm not sure that's great game design, because the ideal solution would be to never be in combat, but turn-based RPG style combat tends to carry an expectation of leveling up through experience points. If you take XP away, the combat would feel extra tedious, and if you leave it in, what's the point?

Shiryou Sensen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IzenfvZfTE is maybe the first survival horror game, and they managed to toe the line on that encounters issue by using combat that was fairly similar to Zelda 2.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This vaguely reminds me of Sweet Home. I've never played it, only watched bits and pieces, but it's a horror game with light puzzles and RPG combat...on the NES.

There's not really resource management though.

Unless you count your four party members as "resources," which you should, because only certain party members can solve certain puzzles and if they die in combat, they're permanently dead iirc. It's a weird, janky game but I kind of wish there was more like it. I know "horror turn-based rpg" is probably a bad genre to want more of, but dammit I can dream.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

There's always roguelikes. Cataclysm: dark days ahead has oodles of resource management and turn based combat in a survival horror environment, for instance.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

WaltherFeng posted:

Neo Scavenger is sort of like this, although you'll want to avoid combat for the most part. Every encounter involves a weighing up of risk/reward.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah you want Neo Scavenger (I made a mental note to recommend it earlier and forgot lol)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Are there any 3rd person action games that use tilt-shift photography?

I think a action mech game would be fun through that lens.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Besides Wonderful 101?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Are there any 3rd person action games that use tilt-shift photography?

I think a action mech game would be fun through that lens.

Literally Brigador.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZEjlBCwap0

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 25, 2018